Your favorite cookware? I guess knives too!

quote:
Originally posted by PD2K:
I have a set of Shun Ken Onion series - love it!

These are great knives. The 8" Chef's knife is one of my workhorses.

But I do go back and forth between these and my Wusthoff Classics.

There are actually several great knife lines out there...
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
210mm Mcusta gyuto

240mm custom Del Ealy gyuto with burled buckeye/maple ferrule and handle

150mm custom Devin Thomas petty with ebony and australian gum handle and ferrule.

Gotta love great knives in the kitchen.

Mcusta Zanmai Pro Gyuto (210mm) with Quince Wood handle

Loving it!
I prefer Global knives for the smaller blade angle, so they stay sharper longer. I appreciate Henckels, just don't prefer them.

All-Clad stainless and a good, seasoned cast iron skillet. I clean the stainless with a solution of white vinegar and sea salt. Just the teeniest bit of elbow grease and all spots come right off. Also works on any copper-bottoms I have.

Le Creuset for bakeware.
Wife and I are just now getting into cooking together. With the suggestion from TPE one night over dinner... I think my wife really just wanted new cookware Smile All in all its has been very enjoyable experience cooking together and spending time in the kitchen together.

Cookware - All-Clad Stainless
Knives - Wusthof Classic Ikon

Love both... the purchase of the above made the experience in the kitchen a lot more enjoyable.
Cookware . . . right with everyone else -- AllClad all the way. I have several of the copper core peices. And, while I think they do provide more even heat distribution than the standard All Clad, I'm not sure that they were worth the price premium, but they sure look great.

Re: knives . . . Global and Shun are great choices. Been on the waiting list for a Bob Kramer knife for 4 years now, so looking forwrd to that.

One knife recommendation of a disciple of Bob Kramer . . . gentleman named Quentin Middleton down in SC makes fantastic custom made knives. Since I've never used an official Bob Kramer, other than the Henckles version at Sur La Table, I can't compare functionality, but Quentin's knives are beautiful and some of the sharpest, most well balanced knives you can buy
quote:
Originally posted by Parcival:
Re: knives . . . Global and Shun are great choices. Been on the waiting list for a Bob Kramer knife for 4 years now, so looking forwrd to that.

One knife recommendation of a disciple of Bob Kramer . . . gentleman named Quentin Middleton down in SC makes fantastic custom made knives. Since I've never used an official Bob Kramer, other than the Henckles version at Sur La Table, I can't compare functionality, but Quentin's knives are beautiful and some of the sharpest, most well balanced knives you can buy

Big Grin

There are several custom knife makers out there that make incredible pieces (not just looks but in quality of steel, etc).

Don't blame me for showing this but there is a forum that will feed this obsession.

That said, I squarely blame basecadet and DoktaP for turning me on to this forum and I've been fighting obsessive twitching ever since.

Damn, there is little better satisfaction than a well made knife to do a job in the kitchen. FYI: Obsessive knife ownership goes hand-in-hand with keeping your edges surgically sharp on a whet stone Cool
Well said KSCO2. I have a Delbert Ealy and Devin Thomas custom knife. Incredibly well made and sharp. There's nothing like putting your blade on a couple whetstone grits,stropping and making them razor sharp. Even the "elusive one" loves a couple of my knives.
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
Don't blame me for showing this but there is a forum that will feed this obsession.

That said, I squarely blame basecadet and DoktaP for turning me on to this forum and I've been fighting obsessive twitching ever since.

Damn, there is little better satisfaction than a well made knife to do a job in the kitchen. FYI: Obsessive knife ownership goes hand-in-hand with keeping your edges surgically sharp on a whet stone Cool

Thanks for the forum tip. I'm on a couple different knife forums already, not sure how I completely missed this one.
The Mrs. made me put a drawer safety lock on the knife drawer recently after she saw how much time I was spending one evening with the wet stones and the results it lead to.
Thanks for the knife forums link. Anyone have any recommendations regarding good videos to show propoer wet-stone technique? I have just recently started sharpening my own knives. I can get an ok edge, but often wind up sending them out to a local sharpener to fix my mistakes
quote:
Originally posted by Parcival:
Thanks for the knife forums link. Anyone have any recommendations regarding good videos to show propoer wet-stone technique? I have just recently started sharpening my own knives. I can get an ok edge, but often wind up sending them out to a local sharpener to fix my mistakes

chefknivestogo.com has a bunch of HOWTO videos on sharpening.
I've got Calphalon, 3 sizes each of stainless and non-stick friars and sauce pans, plus a wok, a comal, various soup/pasta kettles a large stock pot, a set of mid-range henckels. But like others, the most invaluable is my well seasoned cast iron 12". Additionally, i've got some large heat-tempered, plastic-tip tongs that are indispensable.
One thing that everyone should try is a high quality Jaapanese knife. Im not talking Shun, Global etc, they are good knives but mass produced.

Check out websites like these.

www.japaneseknifeimports.com

www.japan-blades.com

www.japanesechefknives.com

www.aframestokyo.com

Look for something called a wa-gyuto which is traditianle western chef knife blade but with no bolster and a japanese ( wa ) handle. A good one will set you back $250+ but once you use a japanese hand crafted knife you will never go back

Add Reply

Likes (0)