Your Best QPR Weekday Wine

Had the 2009 Grand Estate Amitage last night. It is
63% Merlot 33% Syrah 4% Cabernet Franc .
WS gives it 89 pts. For $9 that is a pretty good wine.
But, I didn't think so much of it. Rather than complex, I'd call it a bit confused. I am not sure the blend works so well. My wife, however, liked it, and she has a better palate than I.
quote:
Originally posted by irwin:
But, I didn't think so much of it. Rather than complex, I'd call it a bit confused. I am not sure the blend works so well. My wife, however, liked it, and she has a better palate than I.

Adding Syrah to the traditional Bordeaux blend has become a trend for Washington wineries aiming for sub-$20 wines with a rich impact.
I find that in almost every case I prefer either the Bordeaux grapes without the Syrah, or Syrah by itself.
Nevertheless, it makes good party and event wine. Bookwalter Notebook, Dunham Three Legged Red, and Tamarack Firehouse Red are $15ish examples. 14 Hands Hot to Trot is really cheap, and hot not in a good way, but pleases those taking a step up for Yellow Tail.
quote:
Originally posted by pape du neuf:
quote:
Originally posted by irwin:

Adding Syrah to the traditional Bordeaux blend has become a trend for Washington wineries aiming for sub-$20 wines with a rich impact.
I find that in almost every case I prefer either the Bordeaux grapes without the Syrah, or Syrah by itself.

+1

Irwin, I had the same impression as you on the CC Armitage.
quote:
Originally posted by The Analyst:
My definition of an every day wine is one that I will serve guests who have no appreciation for good wine. I don't want to waste a good bottle, but I also don't want to suffer through some nasty tasting plonk. My go to reds are both Spanish:

Beso de Vino $10 @ LCBO
La Casona $9 @ LCBO

+1 on the beso de vino.
Not yielding much on the nose, but the taste is good for the price

Add Reply

Likes (0)