The number of offline was down this year, but quality was still excellent thanks to generous friends.

Red

1. 1989 Lynch Bages
  2. 1997 Solaia
  3. 1987 Biondi Santi Riserva (almost forgot)
  4. 1969 Charles Krug Pinot Noir
  5. 1989 Beaucastel
  6. 1990 Beaucastel
  7. 1996 Clape Cornas
  8. 1999 Diamond Creek Volcanic Hill
  9. 1986 Beringer Cabernet Sauvignon
  10. 1987 Dunn Howell Mountain
  11. 2001 Schrader RBS Beckstoffer Original To Kalon
  12. 1996 Dunn Howell Mountain
  13. 1995 Gruaud Larose

Non-Red

1. 1968 d’Yquem
  2. 1970 d’Yquem
  3. 2013 Arnaud Ente Bourgogne Aligote
  4. 1993 d’Yquem
  5. 1983 d’Yquem
  6. 1990 Heidsieck Blanc de Millesnaires
  7. 1999 Delamotte Collection Blanc de Blanc
  8. 2011 Mondavi Sauvignon Blanc I-Block
  9. 2017 Muller-Catoir Burgergarten Im Breumel
  10. 2002 Piper Heisieck Rare
Original Post

1982 Margaux was my most memorable.

But this year has seeen an incredible amount of wine being popped and i've been fortunate to share it with some of my fellow forumites.

1982 phillopponant clos les goisses was fantastic

2002 Wandouree Shiraz

2003 Mouton was absolutely stunning

1937 CVNE riserva was still showing fruit

Unfortunately, almost every italian I had this year has been terrible.

2019 has been an interesting year both personally and work wise, and i'm hoping to share some more fun moments with the rest of you guys!  Esp Dom, even if he forgets what he drinks with me!

g-man posted:

But this year has seeen an incredible amount of wine being popped and i've been fortunate to share it with some of my fellow forumites.

2002 Wandouree Shiraz

2019 has been an interesting year both personally and work wise, and i'm hoping to share some more fun moments with the rest of you guys!  Esp Dom, even if he forgets what he drinks with me!

I have a few Italian reds that aren't 'terrible', let's try one or two out in 2020

Champs:  '96 Salon , followed by '08 Cristal and '08 Dom Perignon.  The Salon was the best champagne I've had to date. 

White:  2013 Bouchard Pere & Fils Montrachet, followed by '13 Dauvissat-Camus Vaillons Chablis.   

Red:  '82 Jamet Cote Rotie at Berns with JBurman and Jorgefast.  Insanely good.  Honorable mention '73 Ridge Monte Bello, '96 Clape Cornas, MacDonald Cab Sauv from multiple vintages.  

It was an excellent year of drinking, looking forward to enjoying with many of you in 2020. 

2006 Comtes de Champagne, Taittinger or 1986 Chateau Mouton Rothschild certainly in the running.  1976 La Tache Monopole and 1970 Chateau Latour also.

Also, a 1999 La Grande Annee Bollinger and a Drappier NV Champagne.

But the winner was a 1959 Chateau Latour. 

g-man posted:

2002 Wandouree Shiraz

Enjoyed the Wandouree as well. Surprised no mention of the Chave Heritage Blanc 

- The Mayor 

patespo1 posted:
g-man posted:

2002 Wandouree Shiraz

I have a few Italian reds that aren't 'terrible', let's try one or two out in 2020

yea swing down NY.  I woulda said I'd come to ohio, but there's some weird shit happening there =P. 

Shit ton of fun stuff to drink!

Bytown Rick posted:
g-man posted:

2002 Wandouree Shiraz

Could you say a little bit about the Wendouree?  You don't see much of that around here.  Still a bit on the young side?

yea definitely.  I perosnally feel aussie shirazs never really "resolve"  they may have less tannins sure, but the flavor profile peaks and plateaus very quickly.

The wendouree had notes of eucalpytus, lovely lush red fruit mouth feel with some beautiful red berry notes that really freshen the palate.

It's like a grange of similar year, but with cleaner, more noticeable red fruit.

but wines like this, i would say would probably taste the same if we were to open another bottle 20 years later, albeit with even less tannins.

bomba503 posted:
g-man posted:

2002 Wandouree Shiraz

Enjoyed the Wandouree as well. Surprised no mention of the Chave Heritage Blanc 

- The Mayor 

The 99 or was it 03? chave hermitage blanc was one of the best specimen's of great white rhones when they age properly.  It's just such a hit or miss on the btls, I'd hestitate to declare it my wine of the year, esp since the second btl we ordered was slightly oxidized.

g-man posted:
Bytown Rick posted:
g-man posted:

2002 Wandouree Shiraz

Could you say a little bit about the Wendouree?  You don't see much of that around here.  Still a bit on the young side?

yea definitely.  I perosnally feel aussie shirazs never really "resolve"  they may have less tannins sure, but the flavor profile peaks and plateaus very quickly.

The wendouree had notes of eucalpytus, lovely lush red fruit mouth feel with some beautiful red berry notes that really freshen the palate.

It's like a grange of similar year, but with cleaner, more noticeable red fruit.

but wines like this, i would say would probably taste the same if we were to open another bottle 20 years later, albeit with even less tannins.

Thank you.  I have a few bottles from various years that I picked up when visiting Australia, but have yet to open one.  Keep looking for the right occasion.

Patespo1

The wine is young but the flavor profile is so loooong. When opening a great wine from a great vintage who you are with and the occasion play a big role in the enjoyment factor that is just as important as the wine itself. At age 14 the wine is beautiful and will stay that way for many years to come. I have had good luck in the past with this caliber of wine at 12 years or more after vintage. Could it be better at age 20? Sure.

patespo1 posted:

Champs:  '96 Salon , followed by '08 Cristal and '08 Dom Perignon.  The Salon was the best champagne I've had to date. 

I bought two bottles of '96 Salon on release way back when, and I consumed it young.  It was very good then.  I've been looking to buy more.  Glad to hear that it is still showing well.

irwin posted:

2006 Comtes de Champagne, Taittinger or 1986 Chateau Mouton Rothschild certainly in the running.  1976 La Tache Monopole and 1970 Chateau Latour also.

Also, a 1999 La Grande Annee Bollinger and a Drappier NV Champagne.

But the winner was a 1959 Chateau Latour. 

How strange! A bunch of those were my favorites!

italianwino posted:

Patespo1

The wine is young but the flavor profile is so loooong. When opening a great wine from a great vintage who you are with and the occasion play a big role in the enjoyment factor that is just as important as the wine itself. At age 14 the wine is beautiful and will stay that way for many years to come. I have had good luck in the past with this caliber of wine at 12 years or more after vintage. Could it be better at age 20? Sure.

Thanks IW, I have a couple of these so maybe I'll try one now to get a benchmark where they're at.  Hope to enjoy as much as you did. 

Don’t offline much these days so most of these are at home or at restaurants with my wife.  A few wines that come to mind this morning from this past year:

- 02 Jadot Chambolle-Musigny Les Amoureuses - I don’t buy much Jadot but their Amoureuses is consistently excellent IMO and this was in the perfect spot paired with duck confit.

- 94 Lopez de Heredia Gran Rerserva Tondonia - I’m about half way through a case of this and this was the best bottle yet.  So pretty on the nose with great fruit and acid to balance.  Amazing with a grilled ny strip.

- Ceritas 2017 Perter Martin Ray Chardonnay - I’ve been buying Ceritas since 2010 and the wines just keep getting better, especially the Chards.  This wine was so so good and just lovely with grilled branzino and herb sauce.

- 2015 Shafer Frohlich Bockenauer Felseneck GG - I’ve probably had more riesling than anything this year and hard to pick just 1 but this was special despite its youth.  If memory serves this was fireworks with homemade pork larb.  

- Pizza wines - I thought I would shout out some pizza wines as we love pizza and make it most weeks and mostly on Mondays (makes Mondays not seem so bad).  I think pizza leads to so many fun wine pairings and this year some of my favorites were wild mushroom and kale with Trousseau from either Jolie-Laide or Sandlands or harder to find but killer Fedellos do Couto Bastarda from Ribera Sacra. Classic pizza with fresh tomato sauce, cheese and salami or sausage with the 2017 Mortellito Rosso Sicilian Calaniuru or Occhipinti Il Frappato.  Bacon, onions and cream pizza with Albert Boxler Riesling.  So many more but those come to mind first.

Honorable mention to 2015 DRC Eschezeaux and RSV.  Fun to taste side by side but way to young to put on the best of list.  

Fortunate to have a group of extremely generous winos here in Toronto, but a few that stand out over the past year:

1978 Ridge Monte Bello - suspect I won't ever be fortunate to taste this again, but likely in my top 5 ever

1989 Beaucastel rouge - last bottle, so sad

1987 Mondavi Reserve - several more of these and they are still improving IMO

1987 Dunn Howell Mountain - wish these were still available at the price of even a few years ago

1996 Calon Segur - my fave from Bordeaux

2006 Beaucastel Roussanne Vielles Vignes - atypical as it never shut down, but truly exceptional every time I've had it. 

This one stands out from a pretty great crowd:
1986 Chateau Mouton-Rothschild

Some others that I recall from various dinners and lunches this year:
1990 Bollinger Grande Année
1959 Drappier Carte D'Or
2004 Sandrone Cannubi Boschis
2001 Guigal La Landonne
1959 Chateau Margaux
1983 Chateau Margaux
1982 Chateau Brane-Cantenac
1978 CVNE Imperial Reserva
1995 Ridge Monte Bello

mangiare posted:

sorry to highjack but @GlennK

try the Bacon, onions and cream pizza with... Soft peak whipped cream as a base on pizza can be unbelievable. 

As a former Chicagoan I can only say ugh. However, I hope that doesn't rain on your parade and cause you to change your mind and you still will like it going forward.

The Old Man posted:
mangiare posted:

try the Bacon, onions and cream pizza with... Soft peak whipped cream as a base on pizza can be unbelievable. 

As a former Chicagoan I can only say ugh. However, I hope that doesn't rain on your parade and cause you to change your mind and you still will like it going forward.

mangiare posted:

try the Bacon, onions and cream pizza with fennel sausage and fennel pollen finished with a light dusting of parm or pecorino.  Soft peak whipped cream as a base on pizza can be unbelievable. 

That’s not pizza dude.  That’s bacon, onion, sausage, and fennel on bread.   Pizza is something you can fold and not have to eat with a knife and fork.  😳

doubled posted:
mangiare posted:

try the Bacon, onions and cream pizza with fennel sausage and fennel pollen finished with a light dusting of parm or pecorino.  Soft peak whipped cream as a base on pizza can be unbelievable. 

That’s not pizza dude.  That’s bacon, onion, sausage, and fennel on bread.   Pizza is something you can fold and not have to eat with a knife and fork.  😳

I'm assuming you're talking about Chicago 'pizza' which technically is more of a savory pie than pizza. 

The one I'm referring to is as pizza as pizza is going to get imo. Recipe for the toppings comes from Umbria and until you try it, don't knock it.  FYI - the cream goes on before it gets put in the oven.  I don't have pic of one of mine but attached is one from Nancy Silverton's The Mozza Cookbook. 

fork and knife for pizza 

Attachments

Photos (1)

As in years past, this thread should be titled WsOTY.  Make a decision people!  You can't have 47 wines of the year!  

For me, and mostly due to the people/circumstances surrounding their consumption:

White:

1991 Lopez de Heredia Gran Reserva Gran Reserva Blanco VT

Stunning, served with a roasted butternut squash soup.  Best pairing of the year.

Champagne:

2006 Taittinger Comptes de Champagne

Enjoyed this Champagne at least a half dozen times this year.  Always made me think that it was better than the last one I had.  Beautiful wine, and right in the zone for me.

Red:

1995 Rene Rostaing Cote Rotie, Cote Blonde

Amazingly young.  Complex, dense and delicious with grilled lamb chop lollypops.

Dessert:

1999 Delesvaux SdGN

Unbelievably complex and a great finishing wine for an evening of good Thai food.  Glad to have a few more!  The tartrate crystals added to the festive atmosphere.

Cheers, and Happy Holidays to all

PH

Attachments

Photos (1)

Now that the year is over I can name exactly 5 wines that seriously wowed me (two more than once) this year, yet no wines that smacked me into oblivion at awesomeness.  (Despite one of the wines having done so previously.)

2006 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne

2011 Hubert Soreau Le Clos l'Abbé Brut

2005 Robert Chevillon Nuits Saint Georges Les Vaucrains

1998 Chpoutier Ermitage Le Pavillon

2014 Domaine Jamet Cote-Rotie

Add Reply

Likes (0)