Your 2018 WOTY and Top 10

It was another great year of sharing fantastic wines and camaraderie with friends, many of whom I had met through Wine Spectator or Cellar Tracker.  Thank you for everyone's generosity.

Many honorable mentions including a '78 Petrus (tpewinedrinker), '96 La Turque and La Mouline, '93 Grange, '91 Togni, '92 Dunn Petite Sirah. 

10. 1999 Chateau de Fonsalette (nyccablover) - Rayas continues to impress me; there entire lineup is fantastic but sadly, more and more people are realizing it as well and are driving up prices.

9. 1982 Brunello? (sarbuze) - the best oldest Brunello I've had to date; I didn't get the name of the producer though.  I don't think they are still around.

8.  2002 Louis Latour Corton-Charlemagne (thirstyman) - from magnum, rich gold color with a mixture of stone and citrus fruit, some minerality, delicious.

7. 2003 Juge Cornas (jorgerunfast) - a real treat to try with some age to it and while I find it still young, 

6. 1990 Henschke Hill of Grace - not your typical Aussie shiraz; elegant and balanced wine with dark, red fruit, savory herbs, and acidity to keep the wine fresh. 

5. 1990 Cos d'Estournel (rackit) - classic Bordeaux, aromatic, velvety, and with a long finish.

4. 1986 Margaux (mc2wines) - similar impressions as the Cos with lighter and with more intensity.

3. 2004 Schrader Old Sparky (SD-Wineaux) - hedonistic but none of the heavy alcohol that I usually pick up from these types of wines.  

2. 1990 Jaboulet La Chapelle (ShaneT?) - apologize if someone else brought this wine; this was fantastic.  This was drank next to some LaLa's, and it clearly stood out above them.   

1. 2009 Romano Dal Forno Valpolicella Superiore Vigneto di Monte Ladoletta (g-man) - I remember swirling and having a sip, and thinking "WOW."  Then I looked at the ABV and did a double-take and sipped again.  Just a superb wine that was uber balanced.    

Original Post

As with every year, so many WS friends opened so many stunning bottles that I'd be hard pressed to remember them all. I'd need to review the photographic evidence, but even that would be incomplete.

As for bottles I opened this year, here are my top ten based on the scores I gave them in CT:

1. 2002 Bollinger R.D. Extra Brut
2. 1997 Gaja Laghe Nebbiolo Sperss
3. 1981 Diamond Creek Cab Sauv Volcanic Hill
4. 2002 Taittinger Brut Blanc de Blancs Comtes de Champagne
5. 1994 R Lopez de Heredia Rioja Gran Reserva Vina Tondonia
6. 2011 M Chapoutier Ermitage Blanc Le Meal
7. 2002 Detert Family Vineyard Cab Sauv Oakville
8. NV Jacques Selosse Initial
9. 1987 Dunn Vineyards Cab Sauv Howell Mountain
10. 1993 Dunn Vineyards Cab Sauv Howell Mountain

My WOTY was a Drapier Champagne, NV, consumed with lunch in Paris.  100% Pinot Noir.  Said to be the favorite of Charles DeGaulle, or at least that is what the waiter said.

Also, a 1995 Charles Heidsieck, courtesy of Purple Haze was really terrific.  A Gosset Grand Millesime Brut from 2006 was wonderful. 

doubled posted:
abryce posted:

#1 1989 Unico

Nice!  I had a 1990 a couple of years ago with the SD crew, and it was hauntingly good.

Definitely something that stood out for me; seamless is the best word i have for it...I hope i will have the chance to drink this again in the future.

Add Reply

Likes (0)