This has been a most enjoyable discussion! I am in awe of the memorable experiences that each of you has had this past year, and I expect that in most cases they were made all the better by the company each of you kept while enjoying your wine.

I believe that my most memorable wine experience this past year was in part due to the advice of the members here who encouraged me to spread my proverbial wings and soar towards the vinous sun. In doing so, I discovered the pleasures of Northern Rhone wines. They say that one should start as one means to go on, and so I set the bar high and was able to purchase a bottle of 1990 J.L. Chave Hermitage. This was a true wine epiphany, unlike anything I had tasted before. I have enjoyed a number of Northern Rhone wines since then, and while they have been very good, I fear that I may have spoiled myself. How can any other wine live up to the expectations I have now set? It may be impossible, but I shall continue to try! I can think of worse tasks to undertake. Big Grin

I wish each of you a "fruitful" year of wine experiences.
Per usual, I will have you know, 1989 Haut-Brion topped the charts, naturally! I am, clearly, blessed to have 18 bottles of this incredible wine, in addition to 3 magnums.
As for my domestic consumptions, my very own red and whites, obviously. Honorable mentions would include 1984 Diamond Creek Lake Vineyard as DoubleD noted, and a fantastic magnum of 1987 Dominus Estate, postively.
Cheers!
~W&FE~
My memory sucks, so I'll have to give more thought to the top wines that others opened in my presence last year.

As for my own wines, I had to check my CT TN scores and here's what came out on top. It was a three way tie between:

1985 Charles Heidsieck Champagne Cuvée Charlie
1987 Dunn Howell Mountain
Another bottle of 1987 Dunn Howell Mountain
quote:
Originally posted by AllRed:
Another stellar year full of great wines, but there were four bottles that stood head and shoulders above the rest:

1998 Masseto (thanks Fut!)
2001 d'Yquem

You're welcome! And thank you also, for the d'Yquem and Selosse. Smile Not a bad dual birthday dinner!

I'd say those are at the top of my list also. There may be one or two more, but I need to go through some lists.
quote:
Originally posted by Mimik:
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
It's hard to beat the '68 and '75 that Asterixis shared a few years ago.

In magnums to boot. Special wines with even more special company. -)

The '68 was from magnum.
Was the '75? I don't recall that from magnum.

Splitting hairs I suppose, just trying to remember the facts.

'68 Unico from mag: The most interesting wine I've ever consumed.
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:
quote:

The '68 was from magnum.

The ‘68 is in its own league IMO.

One thing about Unico magnums, ART on the label! Cool
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:
quote:

The '68 was from magnum.

The ‘68 is in its own league IMO.

One thing about Unico magnums, ART on the label! Cool
The 68' I had was not out of magnum, but I have to agree it was in a completely different league.

Add Reply

Likes (0)