Wow. I am always amazed and thankful to have met wonderful friends through this hobby. I look back to when I first posted my list and this year's list and feel very fortunate.

Top 10 Best Red Wines (I could add another 20 easily)
1958 Fiorina Barolo
1970 Lynch Bages
1966 Leoville Las Case
1964 Faustino I Gran Riserva
1984 Diamond Creek Lake Vineyard
1989 Margaux
1990 Vega Sicilia Unico
1994 Henschke Hill of Grace
1996 Chateau Rayas Reserve
1996 Chateau Rayas Pignan
1993 Dunn Howell Mountain Petite Sirah

Best White Wines
1994 Caseler Omnikaner-Keller Riesling Auselese
1999 Rene Rostaing La Bonnette Condrieu
1990 Charles Heidsieck Blanc de Millesnaires

Best Young Wines
2005 Soldera Brunello Riserva
2009 Macdonald
2007 Masseto
2007 Spotteswoode
2000 Margaux
2003 Cos d'Estournel
2011 Marcel Juge Cornas
2014 Thierry Allemand Cornas Chaillot

Edit: Adding a few more to the list based on current tastings in December.
Original Post
I don't have the cache of old wines that some of you might but still had some phenomenal drinking experiences even if they were on the younger side. Of the 99 bottles we had this year

Reds:
2001 Beaucastel CdP
2003 Joseph Phelps Insignia
2004 Joseph Phelps Insignia
2005 Joseph Phelps Napa Backus Vineyard Cab
2005 Cailloux CdP Cuvee Centenaire
2006 Clos St. Jean CdP Combe des Fous
2007 Tua Rita Redigaffi Merlot
2007 La Massa Giorgio Primo
2007 Poggio Scalette Il Carbonaione
2007 St Damien Gigondas Les Souteyrades

Whites/Dessert
2003 Sine Qua Non - Mr K Chardonnay The Noble Man
2011 Beaucastel CdP Roussanne Vieilles Vignes
2015 Vins de Vienne Condrieu La Chambee
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleD:
Wow. I am always amazed and thankful to have met wonderful friends through this hobby. I look back to when I first posted my list and this year's list and feel very fortunate.

Cool Nice list, DD. You've had a good year
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleD:

Top 10 Best Red Wines (I could add another 20 easily)
1958 Fiorina Barolo
1970 Lynch Bages
1966 Leoville Las Case
1964 Faustino I Gran Riserva
1984 Diamond Creek Lake Vineyard
1989 Margaux
1990 Vega Sicilia Unico
1994 Henschke Hill of Grace
1996 Chateau Rayas Reserve
TBD

Best White Wines
1994 Caseler Omnikaner-Keller Riesling Auselese
1999 Rene Rostaing La Bonnette Condrieu
1990 Charles Heidsieck Blanc de Millesnaires

Best Young Wines
2005 Soldera Brunello Riserva
2009 Macdonald
2007 Masseto
2007 Spotteswoode
2000 Margaux
2011 Marcel Juge Cornas

The Rayas was my WOTY, and an eye opener. Thank you for bringing it to a wonderful evening at the Shore.
The La Mouline we had that evening was also damn good.
I'll have to put together the rest of the list, when I get a minute to think back.
Shared a few of those bottles with some of you and so many of them were mind blowing. At Tahoe it's tough to single out one. So I'm gonna go with the 90 Unico as the single most memorable in 2017. That gives DD my WOTY honors for a second time along with a Silex few years back. Thx buddy!!!
What a year!

I'm humbled and blessed to have shared most of these with the folks here.

Reds:

- 1994 Dominus (4 bottles this year, each incredible. If pressed, this is probably my WOTY.)

- 1990 Montrose (A freak of nature, in the running for best wines I have ever tasted.)

- 1984 Diamond Creek Lake (From 3-Liter, a testament to youth preservation in large formats. I'm afraid we'll probably never see another chance at this one, but what a memorable experience. A huge thanks to Patespo for the logistics.)

- 1966 Leoville Las Cases

- 1990 Unico (Courtesy of DoubleD.)

- 2009 MacDonald (Courtesy of Alex. The hype is real.)

- 1987 Dunn Howell Mountain (Surprise, surprise...)

- 1993 Dunn Howell Mountain Petite Sirah (Courtesy of Bomba.)

- 1928 C.V.N.E. Rioja Imperial Gran Reserva (Courtesy of G-man, and the oldest still wine I've ever tasted.)

- 1947 Mouton (Courtesy of TPE. Another huge thanks for hosting the epic event in August.)

- 1959 Calon Segur (Courtesy of WineDrMike).

- 2000 Margaux (Courtesy of WindBill.)

Whites:

- 1988 Krug

- 1996 Salon (Courtesy of Javachip.)

- 1999 Rene Rostaing La Bonnette Condrieu ($20 auction purchase that still cracks me up.)

- 2000 Sine Qua Non The Boot (Courtesy of Parcival!)

- 2014 Dauvissat-Camus Chablis 1er Cru La Forest (Courtesy of EB56, and the best chard I tasted this year.)

- 2000 Philipponnat Champagne Brut Clos des Goisses (Courtesy of Hungryman.)

- 2006 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne (Courtesy of Gigabit. This paired with his smoked salmon breakfast was pretty special.)
quote:
Originally posted by Shane T.:

- 1993 Dunn Howell Mountain Petite Sirah (Courtesy of Bomba.)

- 1999 Rene Rostaing La Bonnette Condrieu ($20 auction purchase that still cracks me up.)

These two wines were probably 2 of 3 surprise wines of the year. Simply delicious and eye opening.
I don't drink a lot of these fancy shmancy wines from abroad but when I do.....

2015 Joh. Jos. Prüm Zeltinger Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese
2006 Two Hands Shiraz Ares (amazing wine)

And when I don't.....

2010 Shafer Hillside Select
2012 Riverain Cabernet Sauvignon
2008 Joseph Phelps Insignia
Still some key pop 'em moments, and tastings/restaurants not included, but roughly

2006 Casanova di Neri Brunello di Montalcino Tenuta Nuova- Always a pleasure. Wish I bought 2x what I did. This will be special for years to come.
2004 Uccelliera Brunello di Montalcino- Beginning to get the notice they deserve. Excellent producer.
2000 Château Monbousquet- Always love their wines (biased).
2012 Carlisle Zinfandel Papera Ranch- Just behind the 2014 Carlisle Zinfandel Montafi Ranch as the best Zinfandel I ever had the pleasure to taste (albeit a relatively limited exposure).
2008 Stefania Cabernet Sauvignon Crimson Clover- reminded me how much I like Paul's wines. Made me place a new order.
2004 Justin Vineyards & Winery Isosceles Reserve- biased.
2003 Château Malescot St. Exupéry- biased.
2003 Bodegas El Nido Jumilla Clio- biased, but with some age this was drinking well.
2005 Concha y Toro Cabernet Sauvignon Don Melchor
Sans Liege The Prophetess 12/13- a nod to an excellent producer. Love their wines.
quote:
Originally posted by Primordialsoup:
quote:
Originally posted by Pathfinder:
2006 Two Hands Shiraz Ares (amazing wine)

Indeed. I have a 2003 in the cellar just waiting. Maybe it's time.

I really loved this wine and have one more bottle in the cellar I will wait another 4-5 years on my last one. I’m a big fan of the TWo hands Shiraz flagship series and single vineyard series. Tough for me to get them though
quote:
Originally posted by The Old Man:
2014 Duckhorn Three Palms Merlot for its X factor.

I bit the Kool-aid hype when I was up there a few days ago and bought a bottle. Though I thought the "The Discussion" they poured was way better than anything else they were offering to taste, by a mile.
quote:
Originally posted by WinoCA:
quote:
Originally posted by The Old Man:
2014 Duckhorn Three Palms Merlot for its X factor.

I bit the Kool-aid hype when I was up there a few days ago and bought a bottle. Though I thought the "The Discussion" they poured was way better than anything else they were offering to taste, by a mile.

Did you try the patzimaro cab?
They poured that after the Howell Mtn but I didn't take notes. I did like the 2nd cab and 2nd merlot in the flight, but they poured so much wine, I was pretty (unplanned) buzzed after two wineries. I haven't done big winery tasting in Napa for a few years and don't remember them giving pours of the $$$ stuff after the regular flight. Duckhorn poured a LOT of wine from their other labels. Frank family poured their Patriarch and Winston after 2 sparklers, a white and at least 4 other reds.
Hard to believe we're about to hit 2018 soon. Seems like the year has flown by. My list in no particular order:

1996 Krug
1997 Salon
2008 Taittinger Collection Sebastio Salgado
2005 Bonneau du Martray Corton Charlemagne
2005 Coche Dury Meursault-Caillerets
2008 Roulot Les Luchots
1982 Chateau Cheval Blanc
2001 DRC Romanee St Vivant
2012 MACDONALD
quote:
Originally posted by WinoCA:
They poured that after the Howell Mtn but I didn't take notes. I did like the 2nd cab and 2nd merlot in the flight, but they poured so much wine, I was pretty (unplanned) buzzed after two wineries. I haven't done big winery tasting in Napa for a few years and don't remember them giving pours of the $$$ stuff after the regular flight. Duckhorn poured a LOT of wine from their other labels. Frank family poured their Patriarch and Winston after 2 sparklers, a white and at least 4 other reds.

Ah thanks yea duckhorn visits.have always been fun if you show interest. I've got loaded there a few times too
Best reds:

1980 Vega Sicilia Unico
1998 Vega Sicilia Unico
1987 Conterno Monfortino
1997 Lisini Ugolaia
1989 Produttori Rabaja Barbaresco
1964 Pierre Olivier Les Greves
1978 CUNE Vina Real Gran Reserva
1987 Robert Mondavi Estate (mag)

Best whites:

2006 Raveneau Les Clos
2005 Bertrand Ambroise Corton Charlemagne
1999 Trimbach Clos St. Hune

Best Sparklers:

1985 Krug
1990 Salon

Best dessert wine:

2001 Pao Bea Passito
I gave the year some more thought:

Red:
2001 Domaine Armand Rousseau Chambertin Grand Cru was just dancing with a squab pairing.

White:
As I said above 2008 Coche-Dury Meursault 1er Cru Les Perrières was WOTY overall and paired with steamed crab was just lights out. Big year of white burg for me but this bested them all.

Champs:
Lots of Krug this year between myself, gkapoor and another buddy we had multiples of 88, 90, 95, 96, 98, 00, 02. Favorite of that group was the 90. Best Champ of the year though was easily the 96 Salon which I just love each time I have it. Close second was a few great bottles of Selosse Substance Blanc de Blancs. 3rd that 90 Krug. Also should mention the 2006 Taittinger Blanc de Blancs Comtes is fantastic and can hold its own with the others mentioned at a 3rd or less of the cost.
I will take the easy way out and pick wines from two different events plus a couple more.

1980 Vega Sicilia Unico
1998 Vega Sicilia Unico
2009 Sauzet Le Montrachet
1983 DRC Echezeaux ( magnum)
1964 Gruaud Larose ( double magnum)
1975 Guigal La Mouline
1990 Krug
1989 Vega Sicilia Unico
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
I will take the easy way out and pick wines from two different events plus a couple more.

1980 Vega Sicilia Unico
1998 Vega Sicilia Unico
1975 Guigal La Mouline
1990 Krug
1989 Vega Sicilia Unico
Of the Unico's, which vintage do you think you preferred the most?
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
It's hard to beat the '68 and '75 that Asterixis shared a few years ago.
If you're referring to the Unico's, I've actually had the 1968 before. It's been about 10 years ago and was absolutely mind blowing! Maybe the most finessed wines I've ever had.
I'm terrible with wine memory in terms of remembering everything I've had, so I've got to refer back to CT and my scores. Based on that, it was a tie:

2008 Pride Mountain Vineyards Vintners Select Cabernet Sauvignon
2012 Reynvaan 'The Unnamed' Syrah WWV

Both garnered 94 BRR points. I had some amazing wines at some offlines, but I didn't record them in CT, give them points, nor do I specifically remember which ones. Some pretty impressive drinking from you all!
quote:
Originally posted by max:
quote:

1980 Vega Sicilia Unico
1998 Vega Sicilia Unico
1975 Guigal La Mouline
1990 Krug
1989 Vega Sicilia Unico

Max, of these I think the ‘98 is overall the finest. On the night I had the ‘98 it was tasted next to the ‘80. I preferred the ‘80 that night only because it was showing a flavor profile I had not enjoyed before, but I think the ‘98 is a better vintage. I too greatly enjoy the ‘89 vintage and have enjoyed at least 6 from ‘89.

The finest ever was the ‘68 ( magnum) Doktap was was referring to. The ‘70 vintage is also kickass.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by max:
quote:

1980 Vega Sicilia Unico
1998 Vega Sicilia Unico
1975 Guigal La Mouline
1990 Krug
1989 Vega Sicilia Unico

Max, of these I think the ‘98 is overall the finest. On the night I had the ‘98 it was tasted next to the ‘80. I preferred the ‘80 that night only because it was showing a flavor profile I had not enjoyed before, but I think the ‘98 is a better vintage. I too greatly enjoy the ‘89 vintage and have enjoyed at least 6 from ‘89.

The finest ever was the ‘68 ( magnum) Doktap was was referring to. The ‘70 vintage is also kickass.

That night with the '80 and '98 was my most memorable wine night of 2017. Sorry I had to miss the Sauzet and the DRC.
Top 5 in each category:

Sparkling
1992 Peter Lauer Saar Riesling Sekt Reserve- VM96
2004 Launois Pere et Fils Champagne Grand Cru Special Club Blanc de Blancs- VM95
2002 Bollinger Champagne R.D. Extra Brut- VM95
N.V. Salmon Champagne Brut Cuvée A.S.- VM95
2010 Demière-Ansiot Champagne Grand Cru Extra Brut Blanc de Blancs Neyrot- VM94

Whites
2005 Joh. Jos. Prüm Graacher Himmelreich Riesling Auslese Goldkapsel- VM95
2002 Weingut Robert Weil Kiedricher Gräfenberg Riesling Auslese- VM94
2010 Zind-Humbrecht Gewurztraminer Rangen de Thann Clos St. Urbain- VM93
2011 Franz Hirtzberger Riesling Smaragd Setzberg- VM92
2006 Ridge Chardonnay Monte Bello- VM92

Reds
1995 Château Margaux- VM98
2007 Fattoria Petrolo Galatrona- VM97
2000 Château Léoville Poyferré- VM96
1981 Diamond Creek Cabernet Sauvignon Volcanic Hill- VM96
2009 J.J. Adeneuer Walporzheimer Kräuterberg Spätburgunder Großes Gewächs (Auction)- VM96

Dessert
2013 Wyncroft Riesling Icewine Wren Song Vineyard (Michigan)- VM96
1971 Peter Nicolay Trittenheimer Apotheke Riesling Beerenauslese- VM94
2000 Fonseca Porto Vintage- VM94
2001 Domaine Philippe Delesvaux Coteaux du Layon Sélection de Grains Nobles- VM94
N.V. White Pine Winery Vidal Blanc Ice Wine (Michigan)- VM93

VM

Add Reply

Likes (0)