WS Forums Layout/Colour Selection

purplehaze posted:
Robert Taylor posted:

...It was just a screw-up on my part. I'm doing my best...

Well imagine that.  Someone actually taking responsibility for something these days!  

Thanks for the honest and straightforward response.  It's getting better as we go along.

PH

I'm 93 points on that .

I think my major knock w ith this layout, is that the layout is clearly meant for blog posts and one offs where if you need to read an entire headline with the below posts, sure squish everything to < 600 px wide.

Except this is a forum with alot of various contributors and replies, in which case it's incredibly inefficient to continually scroll the headers looking for previous topics if alot of topics are being discussed upon.

Oh and my eyes are all blurry now from all this whiteness.

irwin posted:

I get an email now when someone responds to a thread that I responded to.

Is that supposed to happen? I fear email overload.

If you goto your profile settings and Edit Profile -> Update Profile -> Notifications-> check the "Suspend All Email Notifications"

Irwin, see my earlier post regarding your email notification settings:

Go to the Forums main page (https://forums.winespectator.com/), there you will see a blue box beneath the words Wine Spectator Forums reading "Following Forums," click that and when it opens click "Notification Settings" in that text, and then switch from the Primary Notifications field to the Settings field and then under Miscellaneous, click the button for "suspend all email notifications."

PH, I've enabled geographical tools now. They're voluntary, but if anyone wants their location to be visible, they should now be able to opt in on that.

RT

Robert Taylor posted:

Irwin, see my earlier post regarding your email notification settings:

Go to the Forums main page (https://forums.winespectator.com/), there you will see a blue box beneath the words Wine Spectator Forums reading "Following Forums," click that and when it opens click "Notification Settings" in that text, and then switch from the Primary Notifications field to the Settings field and then under Miscellaneous, click the button for "suspend all email notifications."

PH, I've enabled geographical tools now. They're voluntary, but if anyone wants their location to be visible, they should now be able to opt in on that.

RT

How about signature feature Robert?

glennk posted:

I’m not bothered by the white background but I’ve only viewed on my phone so far. 

I do agree with other posters that it was much easier to scroll through topics in the old version due to the layout.

The white is whiter on a bigger screen, GlennK.  Bigly.  

I'm getting more used to the new layout, but find it's easier to lose track of things now.  

Also, I haven't found a way to permanently change the background color in the "active" section of the forums.  Am I missing something?

PH

indybob posted:

This redesign looks as if someone at WS finally talked their boss into hiring a Summer intern, and had to justify it by having them rebuild something that wasn't broken. 

My fax machine is not broken. Any sugestions ? Because usage seems to be down these days....

purplehaze posted:

Small nit, but I miss seeing the geographical location of the poster and current online status.  Not sure why, exactly... but I do.

PH

You can see current online status.look at any post. Their status is indicated by the dot beside the name of the poster. If it’s green, they’re online. If it’s a just a circle without the green fill, they’re offline. 

Also, in the right rail below the list of recent posts, you can see all the current members who are online. Unfortunately you only see their avitar and you have to mouse over to see their name. And it only shows the first dozen or so members. 

haggis posted:

Curious to know why location, signature, number of posts, etc. do not appear.

I see now that number of posts is shown when placing the cursor over the user name.  But, still can't figure out how to show location and signature (I enabled both in my profile).  Not a big deal.  Just wondering.

One of the best features is having the ability to go to the last post read by the user;  in the prior system i used to hate to scroll back and forth and from one page to another to find out which was the last post i had read.  

Big improvement.  I also like the ability to post pics and PMs and the activity stream, so for me the additions way outweigh the quirky layout and coloring. 

I'm OK with change. Just think there's a lot of empty space. Maybe you can tighten things up a bit - space between lines of a post, between posts, etc.

And it would be great to have a more obvious color dif between the background and everything else - it's ever so slightly gray around a post but not so that you'd really notice.

Not a complaint - just a suggestion. And I like the fact that there are now more formatting options in posts.

Add Reply

Likes (0)