Skip to main content

Since I was unable to coerce the "Bon Vivant" from Long Island to start this topic, I will acquiesce. Smile

Over the long Thanksgiving weekend, a number of our forum members have agreed to open a red Bordeaux from the 1989 vintage, and to post their impressions soon after. Please feel free to participate as well.

Our current list of participants includes:

Board-O
latour67
snipes
Seaquam
mareff
thirsty man
AllRed
wine+art

Still Vacillating:

KSC02
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

’89 Chateau La Fleur de Gay

Decanted only for what turned out to be quite a bit of sediment, medium/dark ruby with a tiny bit of dark orange bricking. Although anything but an explosive nose from the decanter and first pour, there was a mildly noticeable earthy and chocolaty scent. A quick sip showed very little fruit but was well balanced. Within just a couple of minutes the fruits emerged – mostly plum and an almost blueberry jam-like delicateness. With time these gained in intensity yet never became overpowering and the finish stuck around much longer than first expected. From initial taste to the end, mouth feel was very smooth and silky.

I’m guessing it is fully mature, but considering I nursed it for almost four hours with no appreciable decline I’m in no rush to drink the remaining stash. All in all, a very nice bottle. Not a “wow!” or “whoa!” but one that brought a broad smile to my face – you probably know the one I’m talking about. If pressed to assign a score I’d say 92ish.

Thanks for the gentle arm-twisting to join in. This was a great way to bring the holiday weekend to a close.
My poorly maintained cellar plan showed I have 2 bottles of 1989 Chateau Beychevelle St Julien, and I wasted the better part of an hour fruitlessly looking for a second bottle. Just before posting this note this morning, I did an advanced search here to see whether or not I had posted about it before; sure enough, I had drunk and posted a note on this wine seven years ago. Truly, a senior moment! Smile

In any event, the 1989 Beychevelle is a very good one. Dark ruby with some bricking evident; nice sweet nose of berries and hint of sage; berry, ripe cherry, tobacco, good acidity; medium to long finish with good fruit at the end, soft tannins, around 91-92 pts. Not a stunner, but a very solid and enjoyable Bordeaux, pretty much at peak now though it should hold for a few years.

I've found this chateau to be mildly disappointing in good vintages; I had both the 1982 and 1986 in the last couple of years, and found them to be good but not inspiring. The 1989 is of that mold.
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:
My poorly maintained cellar plan showed I have 2 bottles of 1989 Chateau Beychevelle St Julien, and I wasted the better part of an hour fruitlessly looking for a second bottle. Just before posting this note this morning, I did an advanced search here to see whether or not I had posted about it before; sure enough, I had drunk and posted a note on this wine seven years ago. Truly, a senior moment! Smile

Been there, done that!

I've found this chateau to be mildly disappointing in good vintages; I had both the 1982 and 1986 in the last couple of years, and found them to be good but not inspiring. The 1989 is of that mold.

I've had some excellent older Beychevelles. I think it's a wine that ages surprisingly well. I attribute a few disappointments to opening too soon. The 1934 was magnificent about 10 years ago.
1989 Citran, Cru Bourgeois, Haut Medoc.

I bought a case on release for about $200, and it has been stored in my cellar for the last 19 years. Early on, I found the 1989 Citran to be a nice wine, but not great and somewhat backward, however, it has really improved, especially over the last 5 years. I think from this point it will only fade, and if you have any, now is the time to drink up.

Fully mature, amber on the edge, cherry and black currant flavors with just minimal dryness on the finish. A nice mature Bordeaux, that should be enjoyed now, and over the next year. 89/91 points.
1989 Cos D'Estournel - Decanted an hour prior to tasting. Restrained nose with a slight amount of barnyard in the background. Nice purple/ruby color with decent fruit, but not much going on – rather thin and boring.

Around two hours I started in with the cheese plate, the food coupled with additional airtime started to show some promise. The Mrs. tasted it blind and commented that she liked it, which is not the norm for French wine.

Finished the last glass at about 5 hours and it's still going strong, with the fruit really coming on, but still a bit of chewyness. If I would have finished the bottle sooner I would have said it was a disappointment, but it turned out to be enjoyable. More new world than I was expecting, it reminded me of a 8-10 yr. old Napa Cab. It may still improve a bit, but I don’t see a grand transformation in its future. I think I have one more.
1989 Château Haut-Bailly, Pessac-Léognan.

Had one of these standing up for a month or so now. Put some steaks on the grill for dinner and finished up with a few cheeses.

Decanted for a couple of hours and consumed over another 2+. Fairly deeply colored, with iodine, meat, lavender and red berry aromas. Medium-bodied, wih iodine, plum, red currant and earth tones. Develops a darker fruit profile with air; some herbal qualities too. Nice, and should hold at this level for quite a while. 90 pts.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.