Well, Mrs. Gigabit and I stepped onto the scale this morning for the first time in 2-3 weeks and were somewhat surprised shocked at the numbers staring back at us. We are determined to not only eliminate the holiday pounds, but also remove some additional unwanted weight.

Reading about the success that Dale451 has had this past year has provided further inspiration for me.

I thought that a thread dedicated to other forumites wishing to shed some pounds/kilos would be a good idea. A support group, if you will, where people can post goals, receive encouragement, and share successes.

My goal is to lose 20 pounds by March 31.
Original Post
Last year my goal was 41 pounds. I started the year at 196 and at one point was down to 170. After football season was over I was back up to 180, where I find myself today. My goal for this year is 25 pounds. I did my first 5k last year, I'm going to do several 5k's this year as well as my first half marathon.
The thread idea is a good one. My "M-O" is I begin working out NOW and I'm usually good, and thats 5-6 days at the gym/week. I'll lose 20 lbs by May. Then by the 4th of July the wheels start to fall off. Backyard parties, fun food, but I know its not the wine Wink. So no working out say from june/july to september. Back to the gym for 1 month, hunting season starts in october and I won't be denied my venison, so no gym for the rest of the year!! I'll pack on 20-25lbs and the cycle begins again. YO-YO diet I guess. Really should lose about 30lbs.I feel thats realistic in a 12 month period, cus you gotta still have wine!
quote:
Originally posted by napaccoast:
The thread idea is a good one. My "M-O" is I begin working out NOW and I'm usually good, and thats 5-6 days at the gym/week. I'll lose 20 lbs by May. Then by the 4th of July the wheels start to fall off. Backyard parties, fun food, but I know its not the wine Wink. So no working out say from june/july to september. Back to the gym for 1 month, hunting season starts in october and I won't be denied my venison, so no gym for the rest of the year!! I'll pack on 20-25lbs and the cycle begins again. YO-YO diet I guess. Really should lose about 30lbs.I feel thats realistic in a 12 month period, cus you gotta still have wine!
Your post above would peg you in your late 20s, early 30s napaccoast. Am I right? Big Grin

That's excellent if you can get that diet method of "on & off" to work for you so quickly. Don't expect that to work once you hit 40, eh? If you think otherwise, I think you're in for a real shock, my friend. Wink
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:
Your post above would peg you in your late 20s, early 30s napaccoast. Am I right? Big Grin

That's excellent if you can get that diet method of "on & off" to work for you so quickly. Don't expect that to work once you hit 40, eh? If you think otherwise, I think you're in for a real shock, my friend. Wink

WOW my first New Year compliment! Clock'n in at 50 my good friend. It can be done just a mind set thing or lifestyle thing. Although I can't maintain that lifestyle beyond july Mad. Anyway I will use your doubt as motivation!! GAME ON!! I'll weigh in at the gym tomorrow, probably around 240ish as I was 243 a week ago.
quote:
Originally posted by Dr.Tannin:
Just don't use fad diets. None work.

Yeah but that incessant internet ad on the sidebar insists I'll lose 10lbs of tummy fat and have rock-hard abs by doing only one very easy thing....they just never, ever, tell you what that is. Roll Eyes
quote:
quote:
Clock'n in at 50 my good friend. It can be done just a mind set thing or lifestyle thing.

Eek Alright, I admit it. Being 50 as well, I'm impressed.

Well then!! Happy 50th, you can do the same. I agree with Dr. Tannin, no fad diets. I will eliminate refined foods and stick with lean meats, green veggies some grapefruit handful of nuts, eat often, but no gorging, lots of water, excercise. Its a sinch(sp?)once you get past the sugar withdrawals, but thats were the wine comes into play Big Grin
Latour,

Stop fussing you ancient cuss. In your age group, +/-10 pounds is rarely meaningful.

The noise completely obscures the signal in this topic.

Obesity is a real health problem, but unless you are 4'5", 10 pounds one way or another is not real risk.

Even most current measures of vascular health indirectly by various serum cholesterols and triglycerides are incomplete assessments too often overrated because they are simple.
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
quote:
Originally posted by Mimik:
I won't say how much I weigh but I plan to drop 10 pounds by the end of January 31st, another 10-20 by April 1st. 2009.

Were you told to lose some weight? Razz

More like given an ultimatum. Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by mareff:
quote:
Originally posted by TBird:
weighed in at 197 this am. Eek

i'm dropping 15 immediately, then another 10. Frown

187 Frown this morning. Will weigh again next Monday.

reff...don't even think of doing the weight loss challenge with tbird. That dude is the king of the yo yo diet. He'll go on a bender for a week and drop 20. Eek
quote:
Originally posted by wineismylife:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by TBird:
weighed in at 197 this am. Eek

i'm dropping 15 immediately, then another 10. Frown

187 Frown this morning. Will weigh again next Monday.

reff...don't even think of doing the weight loss challenge with tbird. That dude is the king of the yo yo diet. He'll go on a bender for a week and drop 20. Eek

I know, I am up against a monster!!!!
Update: I am down 5 pounds since starting this thread, however, that was easy to lose. The real work will now begin.

My biggest challenge will be to eliminate any late-night (while watching movies) snacks, which lead to drinks, which lead to other snacks. You get the point. Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by gigabit:
Update: I am down 5 pounds since starting this thread, however, that was easy to lose. The real work will now begin.

My biggest challenge will be to eliminate any late-night (while watching movies) snacks, which lead to drinks, which lead to other snacks. You get the point. Big Grin

It is fun for a little while, especially when the number is decreasing, but then something happens....

quote:
My biggest challenge will be to eliminate any late-night (while watching movies) snacks

I feel your pain, it took me a year to change ever since I saw the Michelin Man appearing on my waistline. In the end, sleeping earlier helped the most, because I am less hungry in my sleep than awake.

The transition slowly went from Steak/Meat -> instant noodles/pasta -> granola bars/ cereal-> Nothing
quote:
Drum roll please!!! weighed in at 241lbs

Don't forget: If you're at the gym lifting weights, while burning calories on the treadmill etc, you'll be adding back in some heavier muscle mass to replace some of the fat. Thus you may be losing more fat weight than shows.

Just throwing a little excuse out there for ya' napaccoast.
quote:
quote:

Don't forget: If you're at the gym lifting weights, while burning calories on the treadmill etc, you'll be adding back in some heavier muscle mass to replace some of the fat. Thus you may be losing more fat weight than shows.

...and us 50 year old people need all the excuses we can get Big Grin
i did that crappy medifast thing kat did, i'm glad it worked for her. me? not so much. Frown so i'm a drownin' my sorrows... Razz

quote:
hmmm..tbird not drinking all week, but he is tonight, will see what happens my offical weigh in is Monday.
Around August last year, I decided I needed to lose weight. Dropped about 30 pounds by 12/31. Plan to drop another 30 this year. My diet includes foie gras, wine, cheese, charcuterie. The only thing off limits are concentrated sweets and simple carbs.

It's really that simple.
Simple plan for me more cardio, more reps and lighter weights lifting, and cut down on snacks (hard when you work at home). I already work out 4 days a week, but most is lifting with a bit of cardio. I weighed in at 201 on Friday and am already down to 195 by just cutting out snacking and focusing my workouts differently. Not much different in my overall diet since I already ate fairly well. We'll see were it takes me.
quote:
Originally posted by latour67:
This is a depressing thread!

I'd have to give up wines, eating out, and no more martinis, & especially no more Bookers Bourbon.

Like I said, this is a very depressing thread!

Latour- I couldn't disagree with you more. I am a bourbon guy, with 13 different bourbons in my cabinet, and have one almost every night. I like to have one, and then a glass of wine with some cheese, grapes and cashews/almonds/pistachios. That is my go to meal for "dinner" and has helped me cut out the large dinner meal that so plagued me. And, Bookers is my favorite, go to bourbon and you definitely do not have to give that up. So don't disparage there!
Also, here is what appears to be a polarizing question/concept for the dieting world. Do you weigh yourself everyday or once a week or __x week/month?

I am firmly in the camp of everyday. I have a large "desk" calendar tacked to my bathroom wall over the scale and get on every morning first thing and write down that day's tally in bright blue permanant marker. That way I see the monthly trend (good or bad) and know that if I want to splurge, that I will see the bad result the next day. That way if I wake up very hungry, I see a (hopefully) positive result that morning that incentivizes me to be strong for another day. And on the flip side, if I see a +++ day, that gets me going as I don't want to see multiple +++ days in a row!!!

My issue (among many others) in the past was that I would not get on the scale every day and that could/would allow you to get so far gone that I would lose momentum (or get it going in the wrong direction) and would feel out of control. Control is everything. I have good days and bad days. I have good weeks and bad weeks. But, for the last 13 months, I am trending down and am 121 pounds down over that period of time and still take clients out for steak dinners. I still eat well, just much, much, much less of it and if i know that I have a "big night" planned, I skimp for a day or two so that I don't blow my goals.

I am in way shape or form a diet guy, but I have found what is working for me and so am doing it.

Dale
quote:
Originally posted by justme:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by justme:
I seem to have gained a pound, but it is all in my boobs. Big Grin

Does that interfere with your naked yoga routine? Razz

Not at all, I'm very bendy.

And a great sport.

Touche' Smile
quote:
Did someone break your jaw???

quote:
Originally posted by MJAlbers:
24 lbs since December
Big Grin
Just doing what I know I should be doing.
- cut out the "habitual" eating/snacking...no need to eat when you're not really hungry.
- a good breakfast
- eat less toward the evening, probably the biggest key to losing weight imo.
- a glass of wine in the evening is the norm
quote:
24 lbs since December

Nice work, MJ. I agree completely with eating less at night. It is often a big challenge for me and, I would imagine, many others on the forum, as alcohol will strongly induce such cravings.

I have lost weight since the start of the year, but not to the degree I had hoped. However, I have supplanted some bad weight with more positive pounds (i.e. more weight training). Smile
quote:
quote:
I have supplanted some bad weight with more positive pounds (i.e. more weight training). Smile
I can see it now, the infamous gigabit air sax? Big Grin

Hilarious! I KNEW that was the clip you used before I even opened it. Excellent choice, by the way; one of my favorite soundtracks. Cool
Well, since I was the one that started this thread, I thought I would give an update on my weight-loss status (because you all want to know).

I have lost pounds and supplanted a good portion of my bad weight with good weight (fat vs. muscle). My body fat is down 5% since the beginning of the year. I have been working out regularly and trying to watch, most of the time, what I put in my body.

I have recently started to avoid eating after 8:00, with few exceptions, and I believe that this will provide even more positive results.

If I can lose another 10 pounds by the end of the year, I will be satisfied.
quote:
Well, since I was the one that started this thread, I thought I would give an update on my weight-loss status (because you all want to know).

I have lost pounds and supplanted a good portion of my bad weight with good weight (fat vs. muscle). My body fat is down 5% since the beginning of the year. I have been working out regularly and trying to watch, most of the time, what I put in my body.

I have recently started to avoid eating after 8:00, with few exceptions, and I believe that this will provide even more positive results.

If I can lose another 10 pounds by the end of the year, I will be satisfied.
Excellent job gig!
Way to go Gig!!!! Hard work and discipline do pay off.

I have recently decide to drop a few a lot of pounds and at least get to the half way point between when I was in the army working out 5 hours a day and the Santa Claus looking fool I am now.

I started a program called from the couch to a 5K. I like it so far.
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Tong BBP:
quote:

That would work for me. I rarely get up before 8:00. I'd lose loads of weight in no time.

Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by jburman82:
Way to go Gig!!!! Hard work and discipline do pay off.

I have recently decide to drop a few a lot of pounds and at least get to the half way point between when I was in the army working out 5 hours a day and the Santa Claus looking fool I am now.

I started a program called from the couch to a 5K. I like it so far.

J-

My first impression of you was the quiet, reserved person sitting at the table in the hotel room. My last impression of you was the guy on the bus during the return trip from Otis's place. Eek I wonder what the next impression will be.

I look forward to sharing wine again.
Yeah, the wheels fell of the bus that night. I guess drinking wine for 10 straight hours will do that to a person. Big Grin Although, I must admit, that is a little closer to what I am really like. I guess you could say I have a little TBird in me. Big Grin

Hopefully we can share a glass before the next CDP!
quote:
Originally posted by jburman82:
Yeah, the wheels fell of the bus that night. I guess drinking wine for 10 straight hours will do that to a person. Big Grin Although, I must admit, that is a little closer to what I am really like. I guess you could say I have a little TBird in me. Big Grin

Hopefully we can share a glass before the next CDP!

I preferred the "guy on the bus." Between you, Dannyk, and Paulk, it was a very interesting ride back to the hotel. Big Grin
Thanks to our boys weekend in Montreal in May, and the challenge that was put forward to everyone, I hit my target before our cottage weekend in Toronto this September.

Now all this said, the great Asterixis challenged us to drop an extra 10 in Toronto, just because. Cool

I'm now there also... now on to complete focus on exercise. Eek
quote:
Originally posted by jqmunro:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
I'm now there also...

Cool Well done.

I'm still in the damn starting blocks Red Face

Im thankful for my genetics. I eat and drink everything I want and I stay slender Razz

That worked for me until about 10 years ago, then being 6'4" worked, then, time to just drop the extra 15-20lbs!
quote:
Originally posted by spo:
If I stay away from sugar and processed foods I lose weight no problem, If I start eating that stuff again weight loss stops and I begin putting on the lbs. Unfortunately I am a slave to convenience.

(Hmm...are wine and beer considered processed foods?)
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jqmunro:
quote:
quote:
I'm now there also...

Cool Well done.

I'm still in the damn starting blocks Red Face

Im thankful for my genetics. I eat and drink everything I want and I stay slender Razz

That worked for me until about 10 years ago, then being 6'4" worked, then, time to just drop the extra 15-20lbs!

I to am 6'-4" and it is not working regardless of what angle I position myself in front of the mirror.

+5lbs on the year, duh.

2011 Weight Loss = 1978-2009 20lbs + 2010 5lbs + 5lbs (Christmas)

30lbs. Eek
Gigabit, I don't think of liquids as food but not really prepared to argue about it, so let's say beer and wine are food I consider them to be like kefir, saurkraut and pickles, partially predigested. I know alcohol is not supposed to do you any favors but I can still lose weight while I am drinking. Which is more than I can say for junk food even at 2000 calories a day.

KSC02, the bread man is irrational and dangerous.
Well, been about a year now since I started my diet. 6', 260# was the start. I'm still 6' (yea!) but 205# now. The only real modifications remain the removal of 95% of simple carbs. I eat a lot of salads for lunch, have veggies and no starch for dinner. I still eat all the foie gras, cheeses, etc. that I want. I split a bottle of wine nightly with my wife (3 glass me, 2 for her).

All my blood labs, my blood pressure are now great. My resting pulse is back into the 40s like it used to be when I cycled and lifted weights a lot (still not getting the same level of exercise I did in my 20s, but apparently getting enough).

Congrats to other folks that have shed some pounds.
quote:
Originally posted by Chilicat:
Well, been about a year now since I started my diet. 6', 260# was the start. I'm still 6' (yea!) but 205# now. The only real modifications remain the removal of 95% of simple carbs. I eat a lot of salads for lunch, have veggies and no starch for dinner. I still eat all the foie gras, cheeses, etc. that I want. I split a bottle of wine nightly with my wife (3 glass me, 2 for her).

All my blood labs, my blood pressure are now great. My resting pulse is back into the 40s like it used to be when I cycled and lifted weights a lot (still not getting the same level of exercise I did in my 20s, but apparently getting enough).

Congrats to other folks that have shed some pounds.

Nice work!
One way to lose weight is to be in the hospital Razz

I had some emergency surgery just under a month ago. I went in at 174lb. Was discharged 5 days later at 160 Eek. I've stabilized now at 159. I had no idea it was physically possible, for someone not grossly overweight, to lose 14lb in 5 days.
quote:
quote:

I think it is practically impossible to have noticeable muscle growth while in a caloric deficit.
quote:
Originally posted by wineismylife:
If not too personal haggis what happened? Are you OK?

I didn't check back until now. I'm fine, Joe. Thanks for asking.

I had a punctured diverticulum (pouch in the intestine). It resulted in peritonitis. Nasty nasty stuff. I had a great Italian surgeon who ordered me to drink a glass of wine a day when I was discharged! Big Grin
New relevant news

Medical treatment to raise HDL is not successful at lowering CV events.

Still 5 years later
-Lowering LDL and keeping "fluffy" components higher than "solid" is the best treatment...and the best medical regimen involves low dose statins.
-Elevated HDL is protective but best achieved by routine highly aerobic exercise and a low calorie Mediterranean [not low carb or low protein ]diet
-Drinking more liquids and eating slowly reduces the hunger mechanism and keeps you from overeating.
-Everything your mom told you is in fact true
-No dessert before dinner
-Eat your vegetables
-Take human [small] bites
-Don't talk with your mouth full
-Calories in - calories out = weight gain
-Fad or restricted diets don't work at maintenance; 40/30/30 rule still applies
-Don't eat when stressed or bored
-Sedentary work means increasing metabolism early in the morning or evening, something our parents didn't worry about
-You are in charge of your own health...don't blame others or the health care system.

Add Reply

Likes (0)