Well, Mrs. Gigabit and I stepped onto the scale this morning for the first time in 2-3 weeks and were somewhat surprised shocked at the numbers staring back at us. We are determined to not only eliminate the holiday pounds, but also remove some additional unwanted weight.

Reading about the success that Dale451 has had this past year has provided further inspiration for me.

I thought that a thread dedicated to other forumites wishing to shed some pounds/kilos would be a good idea. A support group, if you will, where people can post goals, receive encouragement, and share successes.

My goal is to lose 20 pounds by March 31.
Original Post
I am 212 right now. Tough to say if that weight will go down when lifting weights but eventually that number must stabilize and some fat must come off. My goal is to have washboard abs by February. Razz
OK. Here's an idea that I think has been around for a while (however realizing my own weight and size I haven't been able to get a grip on it):

    Consume less calories.
    Burn more calories.
count me in pal. as long as it doesn't mean cutting wine/beer.

quote:
Originally posted by mareff:
15 pounds. Lets do it!!
Last year my goal was 41 pounds. I started the year at 196 and at one point was down to 170. After football season was over I was back up to 180, where I find myself today. My goal for this year is 25 pounds. I did my first 5k last year, I'm going to do several 5k's this year as well as my first half marathon.
I belong to the ymca and I used to work out with the free weights, but now I just run on the treadmill and use the cybex machines. I'd rather have less muscle mass. I'm 5'10 and weigh 153 pounds so I just want to maintain my weight.
The thread idea is a good one. My "M-O" is I begin working out NOW and I'm usually good, and thats 5-6 days at the gym/week. I'll lose 20 lbs by May. Then by the 4th of July the wheels start to fall off. Backyard parties, fun food, but I know its not the wine Wink. So no working out say from june/july to september. Back to the gym for 1 month, hunting season starts in october and I won't be denied my venison, so no gym for the rest of the year!! I'll pack on 20-25lbs and the cycle begins again. YO-YO diet I guess. Really should lose about 30lbs.I feel thats realistic in a 12 month period, cus you gotta still have wine!
quote:
Originally posted by napaccoast:
The thread idea is a good one. My "M-O" is I begin working out NOW and I'm usually good, and thats 5-6 days at the gym/week. I'll lose 20 lbs by May. Then by the 4th of July the wheels start to fall off. Backyard parties, fun food, but I know its not the wine Wink. So no working out say from june/july to september. Back to the gym for 1 month, hunting season starts in october and I won't be denied my venison, so no gym for the rest of the year!! I'll pack on 20-25lbs and the cycle begins again. YO-YO diet I guess. Really should lose about 30lbs.I feel thats realistic in a 12 month period, cus you gotta still have wine!
Your post above would peg you in your late 20s, early 30s napaccoast. Am I right? Big Grin

That's excellent if you can get that diet method of "on & off" to work for you so quickly. Don't expect that to work once you hit 40, eh? If you think otherwise, I think you're in for a real shock, my friend. Wink
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:
Originally posted by napaccoast:
The thread idea is a good one. My "M-O" is I begin working out NOW and I'm usually good, and thats 5-6 days at the gym/week. I'll lose 20 lbs by May. Then by the 4th of July the wheels start to fall off. Backyard parties, fun food, but I know its not the wine Wink. So no working out say from june/july to september. Back to the gym for 1 month, hunting season starts in october and I won't be denied my venison, so no gym for the rest of the year!! I'll pack on 20-25lbs and the cycle begins again. YO-YO diet I guess. Really should lose about 30lbs.I feel thats realistic in a 12 month period, cus you gotta still have wine!
Your post above would peg you in your late 20s, early 30s napaccoast. Am I right? Big Grin

That's excellent if you can get that diet method of "on & off" to work for you so quickly. Don't expect that to work once you hit 40, eh? If you think otherwise, I think you're in for a real shock, my friend. Wink


WOW my first New Year compliment! Clock'n in at 50 my good friend. It can be done just a mind set thing or lifestyle thing. Although I can't maintain that lifestyle beyond july Mad. Anyway I will use your doubt as motivation!! GAME ON!! I'll weigh in at the gym tomorrow, probably around 240ish as I was 243 a week ago.
Last edited by napaccoast
Losing weight slowly by eating less, and by exercising more especially by running, cycling or swimming, is the only way to go.

Just don't use fad diets. None work.

Good luck all.
quote:
Originally posted by napaccoast:
Clock'n in at 50 my good friend. It can be done just a mind set thing or lifestyle thing.

Eek Alright, I admit it. Being 50 as well, I'm impressed.
quote:
Originally posted by Dr.Tannin:
Just don't use fad diets. None work.

Yeah but that incessant internet ad on the sidebar insists I'll lose 10lbs of tummy fat and have rock-hard abs by doing only one very easy thing....they just never, ever, tell you what that is. Roll Eyes
quote:

Yeah but that incessant internet ad on the sidebar insists I'll lose 10lbs of tummy fat and have rock-hard abs by doing only one very easy thing....they just never, ever, tell you what that is. Roll Eyes


That's because it is..."IGNORE THIS AD" Cool
quote:
Originally posted by TBird:
weighed in at 197 this am. Eek

i'm dropping 15 immediately, then another 10. Frown


187 Frown this morning. Will weigh again next Monday.
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:
Originally posted by napaccoast:
Clock'n in at 50 my good friend. It can be done just a mind set thing or lifestyle thing.

Eek Alright, I admit it. Being 50 as well, I'm impressed.

Well then!! Happy 50th, you can do the same. I agree with Dr. Tannin, no fad diets. I will eliminate refined foods and stick with lean meats, green veggies some grapefruit handful of nuts, eat often, but no gorging, lots of water, excercise. Its a sinch(sp?)once you get past the sugar withdrawals, but thats were the wine comes into play Big Grin
I won't say how much I weigh but I plan to drop 10 pounds by the end of January 31st, another 10-20 by April 1st. 2009.
This is a depressing thread!

I'd have to give up wines, eating out, and no more martinis, & especially no more Bookers Bourbon.

Like I said, this is a very depressing thread!
quote:
Originally posted by Mimik:
I won't say how much I weigh but I plan to drop 10 pounds by the end of January 31st, another 10-20 by April 1st. 2009.


Were you told to lose some weight? Razz
Latour,

Stop fussing you ancient cuss. In your age group, +/-10 pounds is rarely meaningful.

The noise completely obscures the signal in this topic.

Obesity is a real health problem, but unless you are 4'5", 10 pounds one way or another is not real risk.

Even most current measures of vascular health indirectly by various serum cholesterols and triglycerides are incomplete assessments too often overrated because they are simple.
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
quote:
Originally posted by Mimik:
I won't say how much I weigh but I plan to drop 10 pounds by the end of January 31st, another 10-20 by April 1st. 2009.


Were you told to lose some weight? Razz


More like given an ultimatum. Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
I just saw a Taco Bell commercial advertising their low fat diet menu. Big Grin


lmao. Low fat...yeah...right.
quote:
Originally posted by Dr.Tannin:
Stop fussing you ancient cuss. In your age group, +/-10 pounds is rarely meaningful.


Hell, in his age group the only thing meaningful is getting out of bed in the morning. Wink Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by mareff:
quote:
Originally posted by TBird:
weighed in at 197 this am. Eek

i'm dropping 15 immediately, then another 10. Frown


187 Frown this morning. Will weigh again next Monday.


reff...don't even think of doing the weight loss challenge with tbird. That dude is the king of the yo yo diet. He'll go on a bender for a week and drop 20. Eek
Big Grin shhhhh i have won more bets this way... Wink

quote:
Originally posted by wineismylife:
reff...don't even think of doing the weight loss challenge with tbird. That dude is the king of the yo yo diet. He'll go on a bender for a week and drop 20. Eek
nope, i automatically cut the butt out of them, fits perfectly!

quote:
Originally posted by mountainman:
Holy krap dude, you'll have to get bigger leather pants.
quote:
Originally posted by wineismylife:
quote:
Originally posted by mareff:
quote:
Originally posted by TBird:
weighed in at 197 this am. Eek

i'm dropping 15 immediately, then another 10. Frown


187 Frown this morning. Will weigh again next Monday.


reff...don't even think of doing the weight loss challenge with tbird. That dude is the king of the yo yo diet. He'll go on a bender for a week and drop 20. Eek


I know, I am up against a monster!!!!
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
I just saw a Taco Bell commercial advertising their low fat diet menu. Big Grin

PepsiCo is such a benevolent corporation; they really do care about their consumers. Roll Eyes
Update: I am down 5 pounds since starting this thread, however, that was easy to lose. The real work will now begin.

My biggest challenge will be to eliminate any late-night (while watching movies) snacks, which lead to drinks, which lead to other snacks. You get the point. Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by gigabit:
Update: I am down 5 pounds since starting this thread, however, that was easy to lose. The real work will now begin.

My biggest challenge will be to eliminate any late-night (while watching movies) snacks, which lead to drinks, which lead to other snacks. You get the point. Big Grin


It is fun for a little while, especially when the number is decreasing, but then something happens....

209.8
quote:
Originally posted by spo:
but then something happens....


Ain't that the truth! The body thinks it's starving and slows down its metabolism.
quote:
Originally posted by gigabit:
My biggest challenge will be to eliminate any late-night (while watching movies) snacks

I feel your pain, it took me a year to change ever since I saw the Michelin Man appearing on my waistline. In the end, sleeping earlier helped the most, because I am less hungry in my sleep than awake.

The transition slowly went from Steak/Meat -> instant noodles/pasta -> granola bars/ cereal-> Nothing
quote:
Originally posted by napaccoast:
Drum roll please!!! weighed in at 241lbs

Don't forget: If you're at the gym lifting weights, while burning calories on the treadmill etc, you'll be adding back in some heavier muscle mass to replace some of the fat. Thus you may be losing more fat weight than shows.

Just throwing a little excuse out there for ya' napaccoast.
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:
Originally posted by napaccoast:
Drum roll please!!! weighed in at 241lbs

Don't forget: If you're at the gym lifting weights, while burning calories on the treadmill etc, you'll be adding back in some heavier muscle mass to replace some of the fat. Thus you may be losing more fat weight than shows.

Just throwing a little excuse out there for ya' napaccoast.


...and us 50 year old people need all the excuses we can get Big Grin
i did that crappy medifast thing kat did, i'm glad it worked for her. me? not so much. Frown so i'm a drownin' my sorrows... Razz

quote:
Originally posted by mareff:
hmmm..tbird not drinking all week, but he is tonight, will see what happens my offical weigh in is Monday.
it gets worse than that. Eek

i long for the days of cardboard...

quote:
Originally posted by mareff:
I didnt think that you could eat boxed items!! Especially those that taste of cardboard
Around August last year, I decided I needed to lose weight. Dropped about 30 pounds by 12/31. Plan to drop another 30 this year. My diet includes foie gras, wine, cheese, charcuterie. The only thing off limits are concentrated sweets and simple carbs.

It's really that simple.
Simple plan for me more cardio, more reps and lighter weights lifting, and cut down on snacks (hard when you work at home). I already work out 4 days a week, but most is lifting with a bit of cardio. I weighed in at 201 on Friday and am already down to 195 by just cutting out snacking and focusing my workouts differently. Not much different in my overall diet since I already ate fairly well. We'll see were it takes me.
quote:
Originally posted by spo:
I went to one of those group exercise classes. Felt like I had some of my manhood taken form me.


What? That iddy biddy female instructor kick your butt? Big Grin
I'm not so sure I agree with that. I'm not much into the dancing part but I sometimes take a body works class here where you basically work out with light weights non stop for an hour to music. I kind of like the odds of being the only guy in a room full of 30 women. Big Grin
I did catch myself looking around the room a few times thinking to myself "that girl looks like she could use a spanking".
Wow this fell off the first page fast. New Year's resolution crash and burn? Big Grin

So, last night my 5 year old son looks at me and says "Dad, you have a big belly like Granddad." Looks like it is time for me to get on board.
quote:
Originally posted by justme:
I seem to have gained a pound, but it is all in my boobs. Big Grin

Does that interfere with your naked yoga routine? Razz
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:
Originally posted by justme:
I seem to have gained a pound, but it is all in my boobs. Big Grin

Does that interfere with your naked yoga routine? Razz
Nice recall K! Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by latour67:
This is a depressing thread!

I'd have to give up wines, eating out, and no more martinis, & especially no more Bookers Bourbon.

Like I said, this is a very depressing thread!


Latour- I couldn't disagree with you more. I am a bourbon guy, with 13 different bourbons in my cabinet, and have one almost every night. I like to have one, and then a glass of wine with some cheese, grapes and cashews/almonds/pistachios. That is my go to meal for "dinner" and has helped me cut out the large dinner meal that so plagued me. And, Bookers is my favorite, go to bourbon and you definitely do not have to give that up. So don't disparage there!
Also, here is what appears to be a polarizing question/concept for the dieting world. Do you weigh yourself everyday or once a week or __x week/month?

I am firmly in the camp of everyday. I have a large "desk" calendar tacked to my bathroom wall over the scale and get on every morning first thing and write down that day's tally in bright blue permanant marker. That way I see the monthly trend (good or bad) and know that if I want to splurge, that I will see the bad result the next day. That way if I wake up very hungry, I see a (hopefully) positive result that morning that incentivizes me to be strong for another day. And on the flip side, if I see a +++ day, that gets me going as I don't want to see multiple +++ days in a row!!!

My issue (among many others) in the past was that I would not get on the scale every day and that could/would allow you to get so far gone that I would lose momentum (or get it going in the wrong direction) and would feel out of control. Control is everything. I have good days and bad days. I have good weeks and bad weeks. But, for the last 13 months, I am trending down and am 121 pounds down over that period of time and still take clients out for steak dinners. I still eat well, just much, much, much less of it and if i know that I have a "big night" planned, I skimp for a day or two so that I don't blow my goals.

I am in way shape or form a diet guy, but I have found what is working for me and so am doing it.

Dale
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:
Originally posted by justme:
I seem to have gained a pound, but it is all in my boobs. Big Grin

Does that interfere with your naked yoga routine? Razz

Not at all, I'm very bendy.
quote:
Originally posted by justme:
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:
Originally posted by justme:
I seem to have gained a pound, but it is all in my boobs. Big Grin

Does that interfere with your naked yoga routine? Razz

Not at all, I'm very bendy.

And a great sport.

Touche' Smile
down 2.4 pounds since the beginning of February. Running 3 miles, 4 times a week and limiting the amount of alcohol and calories.
I am having little success. But I can blame my doctor. Because I needed a cortisone shot in my hand, he told me to stop hitting the heavy bag.
quote:
Originally posted by Dom'n'Vin'sDad:
, he told me to stop hitting the heavy bag.


I thought the spousal restraining order did that.
quote:
Originally posted by spo:
208, working out 5-6 day a week, 1-2.5 hours. Frustrating. Mad


I know the feeling. But I did lose about 3-4 pounds since January. So I'll stay the course for now.
I figure it has to be doing some good with cholesterol or blood sugar. I am making it a part of my day, but still....
quote:
Originally posted by mareff:
Did someone break your jaw???

quote:
Originally posted by MJAlbers:
24 lbs since December
Big Grin
Just doing what I know I should be doing.
- cut out the "habitual" eating/snacking...no need to eat when you're not really hungry.
- a good breakfast
- eat less toward the evening, probably the biggest key to losing weight imo.
- a glass of wine in the evening is the norm
quote:
Originally posted by MJAlbers:
24 lbs since December

Nice work, MJ. I agree completely with eating less at night. It is often a big challenge for me and, I would imagine, many others on the forum, as alcohol will strongly induce such cravings.

I have lost weight since the start of the year, but not to the degree I had hoped. However, I have supplanted some bad weight with more positive pounds (i.e. more weight training). Smile
quote:
Originally posted by MJAlbers:
quote:
Originally posted by gigabit:
I have supplanted some bad weight with more positive pounds (i.e. more weight training). Smile
I can see it now, the infamous gigabit air sax? Big Grin

Hilarious! I KNEW that was the clip you used before I even opened it. Excellent choice, by the way; one of my favorite soundtracks. Cool
I lost 12 lbs. in 24 hours at the Westin Galleria in Houston this week.

I was always curious why they had scales in the rooms. I would rather be fat!
I did a two-week cleanse and lost 16 lbs. Since I started eating again, I've put about half back on.

Starting P90x tomorrow. This is my last day of not feeling incredibly sore. Golf at noon Cool
lost 6 pounds so far since leaving Brooklyn..probably due to all the heavy lifting, gardening and mowing in suburbia...
quote:
Originally posted by mareff:
lost 6 pounds so far since leaving Brooklyn..probably due to all the heavy lifting, gardening and mowing in suburbia...

...and chasing kids. Wink

Add Reply

×
×
×
×
Link copied to your clipboard.
×