Wrestling axed from Olympics

Both types of wrestling will be dropped from the 2020 games. I found this pretty surprising. Reportedly, wrestling lost out to the modern pentathlom, taekwondo, and field hockey. Can't say I've watched much Olympic wrestling, but it seems like an odd choice to cut.
Original Post
It does seem odd, and keeping tae kwon do seems beyond bizarre, but the decision isn't final. It has such a rich history, plus is a sport that has a well-developed women's version, so I'm fairly confident it'll be included when all is said and done.
The accounts I read said that all signs pointed towards Pentathalon being eliminated, but that a lobby push by Juan Antonio Samaranch Salisachs (yes, son of former IOC chairman of two decades, Juan Antonio Samaranch) kept it in as he has been a leader of the International Modern Pentathlon Union since 1996. As usual, it's not what you know, but who you know.
Total BS in my opinion. While in decline in many places in the US, it's still as strong as ever in many pockets around the country. Internationally wrestling is still a popular sport as well. There is no true professional wrestling so the Olympics is the pinnacle for many wrestlers to strive for and the life long lessons the sport teaches young people should not be underestimated. Glad to see Dan Gable is taking it personally and has vowed to get this reversed prior to the final decision later this year. I wouldn't bet against that man.

Add Reply

Likes (0)