World Cup Question for US and Canada

futronic posted:

Par for the course, WIML! I'm pissed off more than a sufficient amount after Juve getting knocked out of the CL semis on a BS penalty (that Ronaldo scored), winning 3x in a row, and Portugal winning the Euro in 2016.

I'm with you on that Fut except for the part about the BS penalty. It was a penalty.

As for the original question, England of course. After that, anyone but Brazil and Portugal.

Spain fires their manager less than 48 hours before they kick off their tournament against Portugal? WTF? Regardless of whether or not the manager was moving to Real after the tournament, what a mess.

Personally, I don't think Real should have announced anything before the tournament, but the Spanish FA firing the guy, even after the players (Ramos, in particular) tried to broker peace and prevent it. Sounds like the head of the Spanish FA threw his toys out of the pram and was furious that he found out five minutes before Florentino Perez made the announcement for Real.

Also:

The North American joint bid was awarded the 2026 World Cup. I wonder if I'll be able to get any tickets. Expected average price of $421USD, though? I may just watch on telly.

Real and Lopetegui were worried that leaks/rumors of his signing would become too hot potato of a topic during the WC, so they decided to get in front of the story by announcing it.  No one expected the RFEF to react the way they did, unfortunately.  Totally BS move IMO to sack him.......

Funny - I think they left the Federation little choice - total mistake by Real and the Manager to announce.  Spain already and has always had the tension of RM v. Barca (Castille v. Catalonia) - having the team Manager already announced as RM's new manager was going to further fuel division IMO 

And not informing the Federation etc. - what a mess.  I agree it also does look like a temper tantrum

jcocktosten posted:

Funny - I think they left the Federation little choice - total mistake by Real and the Manager to announce.  Spain already and has always had the tension of RM v. Barca (Castille v. Catalonia) - having the team Manager already announced as RM's new manager was going to further fuel division IMO 

And not informing the Federation etc. - what a mess.  I agree it also does look like a temper tantrum

Seems that Jonathan Wilson agrees with my take on it

futronic posted:

The North American joint bid was awarded the 2026 World Cup. I wonder if I'll be able to get any tickets. Expected average price of $421USD, though? I may just watch on telly.

Cool for NA, even though I don't really care about soccer.  Interesting thing for me was that the potential cities in Canada to host games are Toronto and Montreal, which is no real surprise, and Edmonton, which was kind of a wtf?  Shocked that Vancouver got left off the list in favour of Edmonton.  Final of the Women's World Cup that was in Canada was played in Vancouver and soccer is huge out there.  Weird.    

csm posted:
futronic posted:

Shocked that Vancouver got left off the list in favour of Edmonton.  Final of the Women's World Cup that was in Canada was played in Vancouver and soccer is huge out there.  Weird.    

Both Chicago and Vancouver refused to agree to terms that FIFA laid out for host cities, so they both are out of the running.  Lot of time left before then, so it wouldn't surprise me if this changed over the years.

FIFA terms such as "no FIFA entity pays any tax - this includes contractors doing the work" or "stadium operations and profits from concessions and gates belong to FIFA" or "stadiums must sell alcohol in and around the stadium, even if banned by law (see: Brazil 2014)"

I could go on ...

As Fut says, there are lots of conditions, some absurd, that FIFA expects host cities to accept. The host cities pay all the costs associated with putting on the World Cup, while FIFA's contribution seems to be walking off with the income generated. They make billions of dollars with each World Cup, and I've never really understood where that money actually goes. I believe that the corruption that was revealed a few years ago still persists.

I hope that FIFA will overlook what I wrote above, and also accept my apology for writing it, when they review my job application in the next few months.

Add Reply

Likes (0)