There are so many good wines in the $15-$20 range. Please feel free to let me in on some of your favorites under $20.00.

Some of mine are:

Sebastiani Cabernet
Seghesio Sonoma Zinfandel
Peter Lehman Cab / Shiraz
Penfolds 02 Kanoonuga Hill Shiraz
Sebastiani Chard
Clos De la Siete

Help me out with some good priced wines.

Cabsandzins
Original Post
I have 3 right now.

1. Penfold's Bin 389 - Cab/Shiraz mix. one of my favorite QPR wines ever. you can usually get this for @$20.00

2. Luigi Bosca - Reserve Malbec - Argentina - Got for $14.39 at Costco and is, to me, an 89-91 point wine.

3. My new favorite, as of last night, is this Gotham Langhorne Creek Shiraz. It is rumored to be a 96 point wine, is the darkest, inkiest purple that I have ever seen, and was bought for just $17.99. I am going back today to buy a case.

Regards, Dale
Wine o girls - it was actually 2004, just delivered to the store. I decanted for about 1 1/2 hours, but it could have used a little more. It is a very big wine, but very juicy and one of the best values I have had in a while. fun to find that in something that I have never heard of before.
A few good ones in this range (my range at the moment) that I've tried in the past weeks:

Barone Ricasoli Rocca Guiccarda 2002
Barone Ricasoli Brolio 2003

Both of these are fine at a very low price, around $15 here, perhaps not quite as praised as previous vintages, but still good catches. The Brolio has become my standard wine, absolutely incredible for the price.

Allesverloren Tinta Barocca 1999(?) - Lots of wine for a decent price.

And because it's summertime:
Stoneleigh Sauvingon Blanc
Winkl Sauvignon Blanc (Italian, don't see many of those). Very clean, crisp acidity.
Some more for the list:

My current favs under $20 (based on Philippine pesos)

Ruffino Orvieto '04 -clean crisp and refreshing, goes with a lot of seafood and asian dishes, or just on its own

Nobilo Pinot Noir '01 -fantastic New Zealand Pinot that I always enjoy with cold cuts pre-dinner!

Trapiche Pinot Noir '04 -easy drinking Pinot from Argentina chock full of berry flavors

These go for what would be under $20 (in the Philippines) I think they may be even cheaper in the US? Smile

Cheers!

"Carpe Vinum!"
quote:
Originally posted by Ines:
Some more for the list:

My current favs under $20 (based on Philippine pesos)

Ruffino Orvieto '04 -clean crisp and refreshing, goes with a lot of seafood and asian dishes, or just on its own

Nobilo Pinot Noir '01 -fantastic New Zealand Pinot that I always enjoy with cold cuts pre-dinner!

Trapiche Pinot Noir '04 -easy drinking Pinot from Argentina chock full of berry flavors

These go for what would be under $20 (in the Philippines) I think they may be even cheaper in the US? Smile

Cheers!

"Carpe Vinum!"
[EMAIL]dear ines, if you are looking for argentine wines, we can supply a great variety of them, please visit our web; www.abinternational.com.ar here you can see all of our products,best regards. claudio quintanilla abwines@yabiru.com.ar[/EMAIL]
quote:
Originally posted by Darlene:
Cool Also, the Coppola Rosso.

One of my favorites as far as daily drinkers go and just good all around. Usually get this for $7-9. I am drinking a 2004 Antinori Santa Cristina, also in that price range.

If you can find them: Tintara 2002 Cabernet and 2004 or 2005 Ferrari and Carano Fume Blanc. One of the best that I like is Casa Lapastolle cabernet from Chile. Also great for a great price is Alto Las Hormigas bonarda.

Just slightly out of this range I like the Buehler cabernets (about $23) and if you can find them, their zinfandels.
quote:
Originally posted by cabsandzins:
There are so many good wines in the $15-$20 range. Please feel free to let me in on some of your favorites under $20.00.

Cabsandzins

One lable I've found recently that I really like is from Chili Viu Manet - both classic and reserve.

Malbec
Merlot Reserve
Cabernet Reserve
quote:
Originally posted by ditka311:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Darlene:

One of my favorites as far as daily drinkers go and just good all around. Usually get this for $7-9. I am drinking a 2004 Antinori Santa Cristina, also in that price range.

If you can find them: Tintara 2002 Cabernet and 2004 or 2005 Ferrari and Carano Fume Blanc. One of the best that I like is Casa Lapastolle cabernet from Chile. Also great for a great price is Alto Las Hormigas bonarda.

Just slightly out of this range I like the Buehler cabernets (about $23) and if you can find them, their zinfandels.[/QUOTE

Cool$7 - $9...a great price for, as you say, a great 'daily' wine. Smile
quote:
Originally posted by ditka311:
quote:
Originally posted by Darlene:

Just slightly out of this range I like the Buehler cabernets (about $23) and if you can find them, their zinfandels.

Cool $7-$9...a great price for, as you say, a great 'daily wine. Wink
If you like fruity reds I would try the 2004 or 2005 Water Wheel Memzie. 90 or 91 points by RP and you should be able to find it for $12-14. Plenty of fruit with this one.

If you like a slightly more structured red but still heavy on the fruit, try the Pillar Box Red. You usually can find it for around $10 and also another 90 or 91 by RP.

Both of these wines are Australian Shiraz based blends and are good for everyday drinking and bringing to a friends for a BBQ.
There are (at least) two threads about this on the "Wine Conversation" forum as well. I believe one is called "Daily Drinkers" and one is called "Best wine under $25" or something like that. I remember there being some great suggestions in those, so might want to do a search...

But, I'll copy here what I posted there. My favorite sub-$20 wines are:

2004 Juan Gil Jumilla ($14) - I drink this quite often. Great QPR!

Dr. "L" Riesling ($10), the 2005 or the new 2006, both quite nice and refreshing, though distinctly different. This is my wife's favorite daily drinker.

2003 Poggio d'Arna Toscana Rosso ($12, $9/case) - I keep this stocked at the house. Fantastic stuff!! Needs a good hour or 2 in the decanter to get going, but this is as good as some Tuscans I pay $20-30 for, EASY!
quote:
Originally posted by indybob:
Ooo, almost forgot. There's a pretty nice non vintage blend called 6th Sense Syrah. It's made in Lodi, CA, and while I'm not a huge fan, it get raves from a lot of my friends. It can be had for $15 bucks, and is pretty commonly found.

I have tried this one, and I enjoyed it. I also second the Pillar Box comment from above, but it does need some time to breathe before consumption.

Does anyone have any Italian table wine style reds they've enjoyed, offhand?

Add Reply

Likes (0)