Skip to main content

I've been visiting, tasting and buying the wines of Wyncroft and Marland for almost 25 years now. The owner/winemaker, Jim Lester, has an excellent reputation and in my opinion is the best winemaker in the state. Marland is his 2nd label and was started about 7-8 years ago. Here are my notes from last weekend:

2021 Marland Sauvignon Blanc & Semillon - USA, Michigan, Lake Michigan Shore (6/6/2022)
Tasted at the winery. This was bottled in March. The grapes were picked at 23.5 brix. 75% Sauvignon Blanc and 25% Semillon. The SB dominates here. Classical steel aged Sauvignon Blanc profile. Sharp acidity with notes of apricot and grass. Creamy finish. At $19 this is an excellent value. 91 points.

2021 Wyncroft Chardonnay Gabrielow Vineyard - USA, Michigan, Leelanau Peninsula (6/6/2022)
Barrel sample at the winery. 100% clone 76. Aged in 1 year old French oak barrels. Creamy and elegant at this stage with notes of lemon curd. Solid acidity. 89-91 points.

2021 Marland Riesling Late Harvest - USA, Michigan, Lake Michigan Shore (6/6/2022)
Tasted from bottle at the winery. The grapes were sourced from the Bel Lago Vineyard in Northern Michigan. 3% Residual Sugar. This was the equivalent of a spatlese level wine (perhaps slightly higher).Peach and pear notes. Moderate acidity. 87 points.

2021 Marland Cabernet Franc Rosé of Cabernet Franc- USA, Michigan, Lake Michigan Shore (6/6/2022)
Tasted from bottle at the winery. The Cab Franc was sourced from the Lemon Vineyard and are clone 1. Rather unique. Aged for 2 days on it's skins. A medium pink red color. Whole cluster pressed. Notes of salty strawberries and a little sulfur on the finish. This was only bottled in March so lets see if the sulfur issue settles down. 86 points.

2021 Wyncroft Merlot LePage - USA, Michigan, Lake Michigan Shore, Fennville (6/6/2022)
Barrel sample at the winery. 2021 was a very good growing season and it was apparent in this wine as it showed better than the 2018 that I previously had. The grapes were picked at 23 brix. This sample was loaded with black fruit and leather. A bigger wine with a long finish. 90-91 points.

2021 Wyncroft Pinot Noir Lepage Estate - USA, Michigan, Lake Michigan Shore, Fennville (6/6/2022)
Barrel sample at the winery. Picked at 23 brix from all 3 estate sites. Deep ruby color. Rather tight at this stage. Notes of pomegranite, cranberry and pie cherries. Moderate tannins. 90-92 points.

VM

Last edited by Vino Me
Original Post

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.