Winelists vs BYOB (morphed from BYOB Airing/Decanting Before Restaurant Dining)

quote:
Originally posted by jhcolman:
quote:
Originally posted by Bordeaux4Wino:
quote:
Originally posted by jhcolman:
quote:
Originally posted by GregT:
Wow. That pretty much eliminates advance decanting entirely. We decant in advance about 1/2 the time.

The whole reason many people want to bring their own is because it might be older, which means it might have sediment, etc. So they are supposed to shake it up on the trip?

Wine laws are stupid the world over it seems. Too bad.

But you're right - you don't want to compromise the place by flouting the rule.

And I thought that prohibition had been quashed decades ago. Time for some lobbying to eridicate the last vestiges of Puritanism from governments.

We really do need to work harder to break down all these silly wine regs.

In the mean time, either early decanting at the restaurant or proper resealing of the bottle at home should keep our restaurant friends out of trouble.

Cheers

Julian

When you look at most states, I don't think the current BYOB laws are vestiges of Puritanism as much as they are designed to help the economy or the restaurant biz, depending on how you look at it. I mean, the entire state of MA doesn't allow BYOB and that's not really what I would consider a puritanical state. It's a state that tries to squeeze every last dime out of you with tolls, taxes, etc., but they're not prudish about alcohol.

You know, just out of curiosity...when people BYOB, is it more because you don't want to pay for the wine in a restaurant? Or more because you have a special bottle that the restaurant can't provide? I've heard people say both and I've always wondered which was more prevalent.

I BYOB because of:

- poor or insufficient selection

- ultra high pricing on better bottles, especially older bottles

- my desire to bring a special bottle

If more restaurants in Toronto had better selection at decent prices, I'd be inclined to buy their wine. Sadly, many restaurants choose their wine lists poorly. I do not seek marque or expensive wines, just decent QPR.

I don't know Manhattan but a number of places in SoCal had success by lowering wine prices to retail, they sell more wine than ever and fill their chairs.
quote:
Originally posted by Redhawk:
Where did I say "you should work harder for less profit"? If that's your attitude, then why on earth should anyone bother to patronize your establishment? If your restaurant is busy and profitable, then by all means, do what you are doing. Why on earth would you want another customer like me? All I do is spend money on food, tip generously, and try to be pleasant to to wait staff.

If this is truly the case--that every restaurant has done a thorough market analysis and determined that 300% over wholesale is the only profitable way to sell wine, then so be it. As I said, I'll just stay home. But something tells me that the vast majority choose that price point because "that's just how it has always been done". If I'm wrong, then please explain why certain restaurants can offer 1/2-off promos for wine during slow times such as Tuesdays or before 5:30, and why anyone would even bother to offer corkage.

I think also that there is probably a different perspective between a busy Manhattan restaurant and the rest of the world.

I dont' think this has as much to do with market analysis as it has to do with how the restaurant determines it's internal pricing structure to be sufficiently profitable.

There was a thread a long time ago (I think not on this board but in the eRP forum when it was public) where a few restaurant owners were debating on food and wine pricing models. Some restaurant owners argued that while they agree that margins on wine are exorbitantly high, it served to subsidize food costs which brings in more customers. Others argued that this wine-subsidizing-food pricing model was risky and not sustainable in the long run. There was no consensus and no right answer.
quote:
Originally posted by Shane T.:
You make some good points, and I'm sure you do work hard to present a nice wine program. As for me, I almost always bring my own bottle, for two reasons really. The first is that I refuse to pay a 300% markup on any wine. I'm not saying your establishment does this, but it's a common trend in my area. For example, in Palm Desert this past weekend, I saw an '07 Harlan on a list for $2700. Before someone says, "Well, people that drink Harlan don't care about the price..." Whatever. BS. That's a blatant attempt to screw over a customer, plain & simple. And that Mollydooker at $25 you were talking about would command a $100 bill in a lot of places. As others have said, I have no problem with a restaurant making a profit. But, when price gouging is so obvious, I'm looking at other options (or drinking beer).

Second, many people that choose to bring their own already know what they like & want. I don't feel the need to fumble with a list, knowing that I have a collection of perfectly good stuff back home. With that, I will usually browse a list anyways, and often purchase a glass or split while my wine decants. Doing that, my corkage has been waived a number of times. As a customer, that is highly appreciated, and keeps me coming back.

My thoughts exactly.

Add Reply

Likes (0)