Skip to main content

Where are you located? Do you have access to Vintage Keeper products? They've been the focus of some negative comments in the past because their cooling units have been known to fail after a year or three. But I believe that they have changed cooling units in recent years and they're much more reliable. I've owned a VK240 a year and a half, and a VK500 for nearly a year, and they are fantastic.

I know other Toronto forumites who have owned them for many years with no issues. Some people have had to replace the cooling unit after 6 or 7 years, but they are relatively inexpensive ($300 or so) and require little time or effort to replace.

One consideration: they aren't the quietest fridges. When the fan is running, there is a steady whirring noise that sounds like... well, like a fan.

I have mine in the basement in the workroom. I wouldn't want to put them in the kitchen or dining room, for example.
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
Where are you located? Do you have access to Vintage Keeper products? They've been the focus of some negative comments in the past because their cooling units have been known to fail after a year or three. But I believe that they have changed cooling units in recent years and they're much more reliable. I've owned a VK240 a year and a half, and a VK500 for nearly a year, and they are fantastic.

I know other Toronto forumites who have owned them for many years with no issues. Some people have had to replace the cooling unit after 6 or 7 years, but they are relatively inexpensive ($300 or so) and require little time or effort to replace.

One consideration: they aren't the quietest fridges. When the fan is running, there is a steady whirring noise that sounds like... well, like a fan.

I have mine in the basement in the workroom. I wouldn't want to put them in the kitchen or dining room, for example.



What Sunnylea said. My cooling unit lasted 14 years before requiring replacement at $300. Recommend the VK500. It has a good assortment of racking to handle a mix of bottle sizes and shapes up to magnum. Could put a 3 litre or larger in the bottom, but it would take up a lot of space.

Re: Dual temp - don't really see the point there. Different wines don't need different temps for storage, only serving. It's easy to adjust the bottle temp for serving and you'll spend a lot for dual temp vs. single. Also, dual temp may limit the flexibility of what you can store if the zones are fixed. What if the mix of wines you have, or your palate shifts? This has been known to happen...often. Spend the money you save with single temp on more wine Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by Valligirl20:
We're in the US. Those look nice but I'm really wanting a standard size fridge that will fit in the 24"x34" space that we have allowed for under our island. Thanks for your recommendations.


Under the island is a fairly small fridge. Look for capacity. Some that size will only hold 36 bottles. We have a vinotemp that size that holds about 50+, and is a nice stainless steel. I think they sell the same one at Costco for around $800. No need to spend a ton for under counter storage.

Also, no need for dual temp, as noted above...
quote:
Originally posted by Florida Keys Girl:
quote:
Originally posted by Valligirl20:
We're in the US. Those look nice but I'm really wanting a standard size fridge that will fit in the 24"x34" space that we have allowed for under our island. Thanks for your recommendations.


Under the island is a fairly small fridge. Look for capacity. Some that size will only hold 36 bottles. We have a vinotemp that size that holds about 50+, and is a nice stainless steel. I think they sell the same one at Costco for around $800. No need to spend a ton for under counter storage.

Also, no need for dual temp, as noted above...


Agreed...check out Costco.com
quote:
Originally posted by CSM:
There is no real reason to get a dual temp fridge, especially given the small space into which you're trying to fit one.

I can't vouch for these guys personally, but they seem to have decent prices and will ship.

http://www.wineenthusiast.com/...holesale-program.asp


I've had a lot of success purchasing from Wine Enthusiast, and they'll negotiate on large purchases (e.g. wine fridge).
quote:
Originally posted by CSM:
There is no real reason to get a dual temp fridge, especially given the small space into which you're trying to fit one.


This is a great point especially as we consider that passive wine cellars (or larger home-built cellars w/ cooling units) are all single zone. I guess there is some good marketing around dual zone, but my single zone is kept at 54-56 degrees and I've never had a problem. If I want something colder it goes in the regular fridge or an ice bucket for a bit.

Add Reply

Post
×
×
×
×
Link copied to your clipboard.
×