Wine of the Year 2007

OK, I'll play along -- I enjoy the puzzle of trying to guess what the WS editors are thinking each year. Here are some candidates and relevant info and their respective weaknesses:

*Clos Des Papes 2005, 98 Points, $80, 7500 cases made (Too perfect of a candidate? Lacking "wow" factor?)
*Bodegas Lan Rioja Edicion Limitada 2004, 96 Points, $48, 2500 cases (borderline case production)
*Domaine des Baumard Quarts de Chaume 2005, 98 Points, $70, 1,200 cases (low case production)
*Joh. Jos. Prüm Riesling Auslese Mosel-Saar-Ruwer Wehlener Sonnenuhr 2005, 97 points, $45, 1200 cases (low case production)
*Château de Beaucastel Châteauneuf-du-Pape 2004, 96 points, $99, 14,165 cases (Can't see an '04 CDP winning with 2005 being so acclaimed)
*Château Léoville Las Cases St.-Julien 2004, 95 points, $90, 20,000 cases (Can't see bordeaux winning in an off-year)
*Mollydooker Shiraz McLaren Vale Carnival of Love 2006, 95 points, $80, 4738 cases (Probably not the Australian to break through)
*RIDGE Chardonnay Santa Cruz Mountains Santa Cruz Mountain Estate, 95 points, $35, 2000 cases (too low case production)
*Two Hands Shiraz Barossa Valley Bella's Garden 2005, 95 points, $60, 3383 cases (low case production; didn't win before when it got a point higher)
*Antinori Toscana Tignanello 2004, 95 points, $79, 26,665 cases (Can't see them going back-to-back with Italy, but this is a great wine and widely available at around $60)
*Didier Dagueneau Pouilly-Fumé Silex 2004, 96 points, $83, 2000 cases (Loire is hot, but too low of a case production).
*Quilceda Creek Cabernet Sauvignon Columbia Valley, 95 points, $100, 3400 cases (didn't win last year at slightly lower price point).
*Krug Brut Champagne 1996, 99 points, $250, 10,000 cases (gets killed on price, but I threw it in as it is one of only 3 champagnes ever to score 99 from WS (no 100s) and from a killer vintage).

I think that other than the 2005 CDP, there is not much else out there yet that clearly fits the qualifications. My guess is that we have yet to see the WOTY in print.
quote:
Originally posted by Foghorn:
quote:
Originally posted by JimmyV:
Wasn't last year's WOTY reviewed and scored for the very first time in the WOTY edition?

No, last year the Tenuta Nuova was scored sometime in January I believe. I bought on Feb 1, 2006, and the score was out then.

Actually, the Wine Ratings section of this site says that the review was published in the April 30, 2006 issue.
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dionysis:
OK, I'll play along -- I enjoy the puzzle of trying to guess what the WS editors are thinking each year. Here are some candidates and relevant info and their respective weaknesses:
/QUOTE]

Not a bad listing Dionysis. I'd say you've succeeded in picking several of the most likely top picks. Wink
quote:
Originally posted by Dionysis:

*Clos Des Papes 2005, 98 Points, $80, 7500 cases made (Too perfect of a candidate? Lacking "wow" factor?)
*Bodegas Lan Rioja Edicion Limitada 2004, 96 Points, $48, 2500 cases (borderline case production)
*Domaine des Baumard Quarts de Chaume 2005, 98 Points, $70, 1,200 cases (low case production)
*Joh. Jos. Prüm Riesling Auslese Mosel-Saar-Ruwer Wehlener Sonnenuhr 2005, 97 points, $45, 1200 cases (low case production)
*Château de Beaucastel Châteauneuf-du-Pape 2004, 96 points, $99, 14,165 cases (Can't see an '04 CDP winning with 2005 being so acclaimed)
*Château Léoville Las Cases St.-Julien 2004, 95 points, $90, 20,000 cases (Can't see bordeaux winning in an off-year)
*Mollydooker Shiraz McLaren Vale Carnival of Love 2006, 95 points, $80, 4738 cases (Probably not the Australian to break through)
*RIDGE Chardonnay Santa Cruz Mountains Santa Cruz Mountain Estate, 95 points, $35, 2000 cases (too low case production)
*Two Hands Shiraz Barossa Valley Bella's Garden 2005, 95 points, $60, 3383 cases (low case production; didn't win before when it got a point higher)
*Antinori Toscana Tignanello 2004, 95 points, $79, 26,665 cases (Can't see them going back-to-back with Italy, but this is a great wine and widely available at around $60)
*Didier Dagueneau Pouilly-Fumé Silex 2004, 96 points, $83, 2000 cases (Loire is hot, but too low of a case production).
*Quilceda Creek Cabernet Sauvignon Columbia Valley, 95 points, $100, 3400 cases (didn't win last year at slightly lower price point).
*Krug Brut Champagne 1996, 99 points, $250, 10,000 cases (gets killed on price, but I threw it in as it is one of only 3 champagnes ever to score 99 from WS (no 100s) and from a killer vintage).

I think that other than the 2005 CDP, there is not much else out there yet that clearly fits the qualifications. My guess is that we have yet to see the WOTY in print.

Good guesses Dionysis. I think the 2004 Mondavi Reserve has a shot as well. It seems like a good story - Winery reemerges from recent troubles with the WOTY. I'm thinking this sounds pretty X-Factorish.
quote:

As with every thread that involves the WOTY, this is my prediction. I don't own any, and can't afford it due to financial obligations currently...
quote:
Originally posted by sprnplr:
quote:

As with every thread that involves the WOTY, this is my prediction. I don't own any, and can't afford it due to financial obligations currently...

Can't even find it, let alone afford it.
One correction to my earlier post -- WS picked Italian wines in 2000 and 2001, so another wine from Italy is not completely out of the question this year (though that would be 4 in 8 years).

Also, my list was limited to wines scoring 95 and above, and WS has picked a sub-95 wine before too. With the prices through the roof on so many wines these days (see the current Cal cab and wine auction issues), we could see a super-value wine.

One thing clear from past winners is that it is not just the best QPR (or even one of the top few) that wins.
I think the Wine of the Year will be one of the 2005 J.J. Prum Reislings -- I know that any single Prum Reisling may not satisfy the "Quantity" Criteria but, and I know this may sound a little silly, if one looks at the Prum Reisling production as a whole -- it is over 5000 Cases -- all the other Criteria are satisfied -- Quality, Price, and X-Factor...and I also think the Wine Spectator can and does do what they want -- look at # 10 for 2007 -- the $250 Krug. And how about # 2 for 2006 the Mailorder Only 2003 Quilceda Creek Cab.....

quote:
Originally posted by Dionysis:

quote:
Originally posted by LifeIsTooShortToDrinkCheapWine:

I know that any single Prum Reisling may not satisfy the "Quantity" Criteria but, and I know this may sound a little silly, if one looks at the Prum Reisling production as a whole -- it is over 5000 Cases

You're right. It does.
quote:
I'm pulling for '06 Mollydooker Two Left Feet...

It would be absolutely hilarious to see retailers asking for over $100 for a simple blend of one part Manischewitz, two parts Popov

dannyk....don't confuse Mollydooker with what Bear Grylls drinks during those long, cold, miserable nights at...the Marriott.

Unfortunately, you didn't realize that a Mollydooker would break the Top 10 when you posted that.
quote:
Originally posted by LifeIsTooShortToDrinkCheapWine:
I think the people at Wine Spectator delight in picking wines that not many would guess -- and to do so, if it means breaking their own Criteria/Rules of Quality, Price, Quantity, & X-Factor, then so be it! I think that is part of the Game. And what better way to alienate a good chunk of your readers!

Wow, you like beating this 'dead horse' of a post from thread to thread!
quote:
Originally posted by aphilla:
There are several 05 CdPs we haven't seen scores for yet: Beaucastel, Pegau, Charvin, Boisrenard, ....

Hopefully none of them will make it as I haven't bought them yet.

Check out Parker's review of the '05 Pegau CdP Reservee...quite different than the love-fest he had over their last few vintages...I think he scored it somewhere around 92-93 or so...not bad, but not what I had expected or hoped from them.
quote:
Originally posted by MiamiAtty:
quote:
Vieux Telegraphe as well.

Agreed, IMO a very underrated but well crafted wine.

I felt the same way about the Vieux Donjon until yesterday at 10:00!

In all seriousness Miami, it probably would not hurt to pick up the VT now. I think Parker just gave it a 95. I would expect a similar score from WS.

On a side note - Go Beck! . . . and Ricky!
quote:
felt the same way about the Vieux Donjon until yesterday at 10:00!

In all seriousness Miami, it probably would not hurt to pick up the VT now. I think Parker just gave it a 95. I would expect a similar score from WS.

On a side note - Go Beck! . . . and Ricky!

Agreed Keeno. I plan on picking up some VT this weekend. Thanx for the heads-up.

I'd love to see Beck and Ricky this weekend, but I don't think Ricky will suit up. Run Ricky RUN! <ZZZZZZZZ>~~~~

Add Reply

Likes (0)