Wine nerd/OCD question

When you guys decant a wine either for air or sediment and then pour the wine back into the bottle for ease of service or to take to the restaurant, what do you use to rinse out the rest of the sediment in the bottle? I've been using Brita filtered tap water. I have not yet used bottled water for this purpose. Just wondering how elaborate others get. Also, do you dry the bottle out? I often wish I had a pressurized air supply hooked up to a small hose like I used to have on the lab bench in my student days.
Original Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Cabernet of Doctor Caligari:
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
I don't do it often, usually bringing the wine in a decanter.

Ditto.

I do not rebottle.

Anathema.

I'd wager that most locales would not permit someone to show up with a decanter full of wine. I know for a fact that it isn't permitted where I am.

PH
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:
quote:

Ditto.

I do not rebottle.

Anathema.

I'd wager that most locales would not permit someone to show up with a decanter full of wine. I know for a fact that it isn't permitted where I am.

PH

Agreed.

I really just meant decanting and not rebottling.

We've taken decanters ahead of time for group dinners with multiple wines, but the wine was opened and poured at the restaurant.
quote:
quote:
quote:

Ditto.

I do not rebottle.

Anathema.

PH

Not a problem in NY or FL. There are open container laws, but unless a cop suspects you were drinking, they wouldn't bother with people holding a decanter. They're looking for people drinking in the car.
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Ditto.

I do not rebottle.

Anathema.

PH

Not a problem in NY or FL. There are open container laws, but unless a cop suspects you were drinking, they wouldn't bother with people holding a decanter. They're looking for people drinking in the car.

a fellow forumite informed me that if you stuck some scotch tape over the top, it's ALLLLLLLLLLLLL good.
i have special 375 and 750 ml bottles with combo cork/cap enclosures (thank you kedco) which I use whenever I am putting a decanted wine back in bottle (usually for transport or for blind tasting purposes). i clean those bottles with the super hot water then air dry on drying stand for a few hours.
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleD:
Only the best ... Fiji Water. No ordinary tap water will be touching my bottles of Lafitte. Smile

haha - you gave yourself away. Only one 't' in Lafite. Smile

My wife swears by Fiji water but its so damn expensive in Toronto. It's half price in Michigan so we stock up when we drive over
I love the idea of bringing a decanter somewhere, but it's only feasible if you drive. In fact, in cool weather like today, you can cover the top with something and put it in a box in the trunk and maybe thereby avoid violating the open container laws.

However, taking a decanter onto the subway during rush hour to make a dinner date - that's not practical. Although given the stuff people do take on, maybe it's not so far-fetched.

Add Reply

Likes (0)