Wine club recommendation

I have just dropped Pine Ridge (after 12 years) and this free'd up some budget space. Anyone have advice for a winery with a similar price point. I have looked at Lewelling and Larkmead, any suggestions. BTW I posted this here instead of the main board trying to avoid starting an argument like,"why would anyone join Pine Ridge?" followed by "why would anyone drop Pine Ridge?"
Original Post
quote:
Originally posted by hippomon:
quote:
Originally posted by mareff:

Here is another thought, why get on any list? There are great producers such as Neal and Match that you can order directly from and not join their list at all. Just saying


I second this notion !


I third the motion of my buddy hippo mom - but, as to Neal - he is not a nice guy. Spent a miserable half hour or so with him at his winery three years ago. No people skills
quote:
Originally posted by WineMavenCA:
quote:
Originally posted by hippomon:
quote:
Originally posted by mareff:

Here is another thought, why get on any list? There are great producers such as Neal and Match that you can order directly from and not join their list at all. Just saying


I second this notion !


I third the motion of my buddy hippo mom - but, as to Neal - he is not a nice guy. Spent a miserable half hour or so with him at his winery three years ago. No people skills


Maven - not sure I get the point. So, if a winery makes wonderful juice, you don't buy it if the owner/winemaker is a socially inept?

PH
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
I think of wine clubs differently than buying wine direct from a winery.

Buying from a winery I do, buying/belonging to a wine club I do not even consider.


+1

PH


I belong to three, Stef two. I know Board-O is forgetting Phelps.

There are some wineries that just don't get, or can't execute the mailing list idea and you miss out on great wine by not considering them.

I've had several conversations with the Schultze's at Windy Oaks about what I do (mailing list) vs what they do (Wine Club) and Judy always says the same thing; "It just seems like you do too much work, we like the wine club." I've had the same exact response from Therese Martin at Martin Ranch.

I bug Ian Brand from Le Petite Paysan/Coastview too that he should start a wine club. Ian has a mailing list, but I know he just doesn't care for the entire marketing, letter writing, order handling side of the business. If Ian has 76 tasks to do, and he usually does, sending out a mailer is number 77. So I have to bug him to buy wine from him.
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:
Originally posted by WineMavenCA:
quote:
Originally posted by hippomon:
quote:
Originally posted by mareff:

Here is another thought, why get on any list? There are great producers such as Neal and Match that you can order directly from and not join their list at all. Just saying


I second this notion !


I third the motion of my buddy hippo mom - but, as to Neal - he is not a nice guy. Spent a miserable half hour or so with him at his winery three years ago. No people skills


Maven - not sure I get the point. So, if a winery makes wonderful juice, you don't buy it if the owner/winemaker is a socially inept?

PH


There is plenty of good juice to go around. His wine is readily available here. I wouldn't give that man a penny of money. The answer is yes. And he is beyond socially inept.
quote:
..... The answer is yes. And he is beyond socially inept.


Thanks for the response. I guess if I restricted my consumption of wines to only those made by nice people, I'd probably have to sell half my cellar!

That said, I think I may be operating under a minconception. I've always thought of "wine clubs" as outfits that put together a bunch of wines from different producers and mail them to you. Not so much as selections all sent from a specific winery.

PH
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
I quit Phelps Reserve about 6 years ago. I liked getting some of the wines, like Insignia, Eisrebe, and their regular Cabernet bottling, but I didn't much want the other wines and I have a full cellar so have cut out most of my buying.


About 5-6 years ago they were sending the second and even third labels in shipments, stuff you can find at the supermarket and I thought about stopping also. They stopped doing that and everything is the main label now and heavy on cabs.
quote:
Originally posted by WineMavenCA:
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:
..... The answer is yes. And he is beyond socially inept.


Thanks for the response. I guess if I restricted my consumption of wines to only those made by nice people, I'd probably have to sell half my cellar!

PH


I deal with several dozen wineries and I have met the owners and winemakers in each of them from Phelps to Caymus to Saxum to Diamond Creek to Myriad to Beckman to Tsblas Creek to Booker to SQN to Tensley to Denner etc etc.
He is by far, with no close second,the biggest AH I have ever come across.

I can't believe that your wine tastes are such that you would deal with AH to get your juice when there is so much choice.
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
Okay, I'm now calling complete and total bullshit on WineMavenCA.

Whatever your issues are, they are and have become completely personal. Take your bitch elsewhere, please.

PH is spot on, and you have a vendetta that has become a simple bore.


Do not really care what you think. No vendetta just an observation made which was made by SEVERAL people who went tasting with us and including a winemaker from Napa who happened to be there.
quote:
Originally posted by WineMavenCA:
I can't believe that your wine tastes are such that you would deal with AH to get your juice when there is so much choice.


Hmmmmm.... I don't see any correlation between my enjoyment of a product and the personality of its producer. Some of the best chefs I'm aware of are cranky sumbitches, many of my favorite artists are/were moody, crazy or just downright unpleasant people. The list goes on and on.

It is apparent that you have an axe to grind here, WineMavenCA. You've made your point. You can make your choices based on whatever (however relevant) criteria you like.

PH
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
Okay, I'm now calling complete and total bullshit on WineMavenCA.

Whatever your issues are, they are and have become completely personal. Take your bitch elsewhere, please.

PH is spot on, and you have a vendetta that has become a simple bore.


Do not really care what you think. No vendetta just an observation made which was made by SEVERAL people who went tasting with us and including a winemaker from Napa who happened to be there.
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
No. I don't know why. I love the stuff. It's better than Tablas Creek's. It's also atypical for the varietal. Most are fatter, more viscous wines, while theirs is a juicy fruit and acidity wine.


It may be stolpman fruit (was told by a wine tasting room). Just had the latest vintage of Tablas Creek gb and it was lean, somewhat fruit forward and not at all viscous.

Beckman may be the best gb I have tasted though.
quote:
Originally posted by saunterer:
There are wine club directories available from which you can search for good wine clubs. And there are plenty of wine clubs that give their best services and discount,offers to their members like enjoying the wine with celebrities.


Brilliant first post. And original too! Roll Eyes

PH
quote:
Originally posted by WineMavenCA:
quote:
Originally posted by hippomon:
quote:
Originally posted by mareff:

Here is another thought, why get on any list? There are great producers such as Neal and Match that you can order directly from and not join their list at all. Just saying


I second this notion !


I third the motion of my buddy hippo mom - but, as to Neal - he is not a nice guy. Spent a miserable half hour or so with him at his winery three years ago. No people skills


Actually, I spent about eight hours with Mark along with his winemaker, Gove Cielo, at a dinner at the Neal winery. It was a great evening/early morning and they couldn't have been more gracious.
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
Which wine club should I join to drink wine with Michelle Pfeiffer and Catherine Zeta-Jones?


You're showing your age a little bit there, Board-O. Wink Not that there's anything wrong with that. (or them!)


quote:
Originally posted by newsguy:

Actually, I spent about eight hours with Mark along with his winemaker, Gove Cielo, at a dinner at the Neal winery. It was a great evening/early morning and they couldn't have been more gracious.


Have heard similar reports from many other posters, newsguy. Perhaps Mark was just having a bad day when CAWM was there, or the problem was elsewhere.

PH

Add Reply

Likes (0)
×
×
×
×