New England of coarse. This is one of my favorite soups and I have never made it. Any suggestions?
Original Post
Here is an Oklahoma recipe.

1. Get in car.

2. Drive to Seafood place.

3. Order Clam Chowder.

4. Eat Clam Chowder.

5. While eating chowder you sit and wish you lived someplace that had great chowder.

6. Get Bill

7. Pay bill.

8. Drive home.

9. Wake up at 2:00 a.m. with a bad case of food poisioning.

10. Swear you will never eat Clam Chowder again in a land locked state.
UHHHHH! My stomach hurts!!
quote:
Originally posted by seanr7:
Here is an Oklahoma recipe.

1. Get in car.

2. Drive to Seafood place.

3. Order Clam Chowder.

4. Eat Clam Chowder.

5. While eating chowder you sit and wish you lived someplace that had great chowder.

6. Get Bill

7. Pay bill.

8. Drive home.

9. Wake up at 2:00 a.m. with a bad case of food poisioning.

10. Swear you will never eat Clam Chowder again in a land locked state.
Go to your grocery store and see if they have Legal Seafood's New England Clam Chowdah. It's some of the best you'll find. Sorry I don't have a recipe, I'm from the Boston area and I would by Legal's before I tried to make it my self.
Made it tonight. Here is my recipe. And no Bella you can't use shrimp instead of clams and no you dont serve this over rice or noodles. Wink

one 51 oz can of high quality canned chopped sea clams
1 1/2 in cube salt pork cut into a small dice
1 onion also small dice
2 tsp flour
4-5 yukon gold potatos peeled and cut into small uniform cubes
3 cups of 1/2 and 1/2
3 tbsp butter
2 bay leaves


Drain the clams and reserve the liquor. Dice the salt pork then saute it till just browning then discard the pork and reserve the fat. Drain the fat off into a clean sauce pan large enough to hold the 3 cups of cream and try not to let any of the brown stuff get in there.

What I do is dice the potatos while the pork is browning and toss them into the reserved clam juice so they dont get discoloured. Get a clean stock pot and add the clam juice, potatos, onion and bay leaves. Simmer just until the potatos are tender about 10 min or so, toss in the clams.

While simmering the potato mixture put the pork fat on med heat and sift in the 2 tbsp of flour and stir to make a light roux. You want it light to make the soup thick. Just as it starts to get there slowly add in the cream and simmer that until it thickens.

The clam juice potato mixture should be about done now so turn that down to low and wait for the cream mixture to get thicker. When it gets thick add it to the clam mixture and toss in 3 tbsp of butter, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Simmmer for another 5-6 min to let it all come together.

Serve it in sourdough bread bowls and everyone will get an extra treat !!

We didnt have any wine with this so let is know what you choose if you make the soup.
Sounds fun, thanks for the recipe! Mike
quote:
Originally posted by Flubis:
Made it tonight. Here is my recipe. And no Bella you can't use shrimp instead of clams and no you dont serve this over rice or noodles. Wink

one 51 oz can of high quality canned chopped sea clams
1 1/2 in cube salt pork cut into a small dice
1 onion also small dice
2 tsp flour
4-5 yukon gold potatos peeled and cut into small uniform cubes
3 cups of 1/2 and 1/2
3 tbsp butter
2 bay leaves


Drain the clams and reserve the liquor. Dice the salt pork then saute it till just browning then discard the pork and reserve the fat. Drain the fat off into a clean sauce pan large enough to hold the 3 cups of cream and try not to let any of the brown stuff get in there.

What I do is dice the potatos while the pork is browning and toss them into the reserved clam juice so they dont get discoloured. Get a clean stock pot and add the clam juice, potatos, onion and bay leaves. Simmer just until the potatos are tender about 10 min or so, toss in the clams.

While simmering the potato mixture put the pork fat on med heat and sift in the 2 tbsp of flour and stir to make a light roux. You want it light to make the soup thick. Just as it starts to get there slowly add in the cream and simmer that until it thickens.

The clam juice potato mixture should be about done now so turn that down to low and wait for the cream mixture to get thicker. When it gets thick add it to the clam mixture and toss in 3 tbsp of butter, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Simmmer for another 5-6 min to let it all come together.

Serve it in sourdough bread bowls and everyone will get an extra treat !!

We didnt have any wine with this so let is know what you choose if you make the soup.
Here goes:

1 lb little neck clams or New Zealand Cockles
3 small yukon gold potatos, cubed
1 small white onion, diced
sprig of fresh dill
1 cup dry white wine (one you would drink!!!)
1 pint of half and half
1/2 stick of butter
gray salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste

Scrub clams, discard any that are already open
steam clams in white wine until shells open.
remove clams from broth
strain broth through cheescloth, return liquid to pot
saute onions and potatos in butter (save a pat of butter for later) over med heat in a pan
meanwhile, chop clam meat
when potatos and onions are ready, pour white wine/clam broth into the pan, lowering heat to med/low
add half and half, chopped clams, chopped fresh dill, salt and pepper
add final pat of butter and stir until it integrates
garnish with a fresh dill sprig


Serve with a nice hunk of crusty bread in pre-warmed bowls
I think this is like asking, "Who's got the best BBQ recipe?"
Clam chowder can be highly regional and subjective. My grandmother, for instance, made the best chowder I've ever had, and since she lived on the Oregon coast, would use only chopped razor clams, and locally smoked bacon.
Why....do you have a great BBQ recipe? Wink Wink
quote:
Originally posted by mneeley490:
I think this is like asking, "Who's got the best BBQ recipe?"
Clam chowder can be highly regional and subjective. My grandmother, for instance, made the best chowder I've ever had, and since she lived on the Oregon coast, would use only chopped razor clams, and locally smoked bacon.
Originally posted by mneeley490:
I think this is like asking, "Who's got the best BBQ recipe?"



quote:
Why....do you have a great BBQ recipe?


There is no such thing as BBQ in Washington or Oregon. Thats the name of the thing you grill on. Eek Wink
quote:
Originally posted by Flubis:
Originally posted by mneeley490:
I think this is like asking, "Who's got the best BBQ recipe?"



quote:
Why....do you have a great BBQ recipe?


There is no such thing as BBQ in Washington or Oregon. Thats the name of the thing you grill on. Eek Wink

Too true... Frown

Add Reply

×
×
×
×
Link copied to your clipboard.
×