White wine recommendations for an average night

Re-posting this question for a new member - Robbie44 - from another thread where it got lost with other What Are You Drinking Posts.

My first time here. I’m 73 and used to be quite knowledgeable... in another life. Had to give up too many things... bad GI. Here is my issue: I’ve given up TOO much! Lol I want to enjoy wine again but must be gentle on myself. The BEST bottle of white I have ever had was a KISTLER CHARD back in the early 80’s. This was unusual as I don’t really care for chards! Prefer less cloying fresher tastes like Pinot Grigio. So, for an average night, with tummy in mind (NO ST. GENIVIEVE!!!) what would you folks recommend? I read about Santa Margarita but wondering about the Alsace wines. And WHICH Alsace wines? ANY guidance is appreciated! RMH

Original Post

Yeah. This is tough for me. Maybe Vietti Roero Arneis?  ~$20 tasty, and reasonably easy to find. 

Terre Nere Bianco is simple, inexpensive, and lovely for what it is.

I love Alsatian wines but I’m not certain only because OP mentions Pinot Grigio and I don’t think Alsatian wines are too similar. Ironically, Alsatian Pinot Blanc would tend more similar than Pinot Gris. While Chardonnay is generally fermented dry, OP’s aversion to “cloying” and preference for “fresher tastes, like Pinot Grigio” make me think SB from Loire and CA and then varied Italian whites. (But all the SB I enjoy are $35/btl+ (Merry Edwards, and then a bunch of Italians and white Graves).)

g-man posted:

For a sensitive stomach, I go with Sake.  The Dassai 50 is gentle on the stomach, a nice sweet florally rice note and can be had for 20$.  It also pairs with quite alot of foods.

I used to drink sake regularly.  Need to stock up again.  Sake can be heavenly.

g-man posted:

For a sensitive stomach, I go with Sake.  The Dassai 50 is gentle on the stomach, a nice sweet florally rice note and can be had for 20$.  It also pairs with quite alot of foods.

Mead as well. Little to no acidity and works well with a host of flavors added before, during or after fermentation. Also possibly the simplest fermented beverage to make.

Add Reply

Likes (0)