quote:
Originally posted by Jcocktosten:
quote:
Originally posted by vinole:
quote:
Originally posted by jburman82:
Summer of either 07 or 08. Went to Bistro Provonce with JC/FKG, Vinole and Rob/Monica. I think Rothko and Hoopty were there too but Im not sure.

I think this one may be the one you are referring to as I recall you bringing the Margaux.

If I recall, that was it. Good night.

Yep. That was it. I'm pretty sure redknife was there too.
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
most unpleasant.

watching jburman walk out of his pool with flip flops and a speedo

but then he opened a LALA

Big Grin

Well at least he made your trauma worth it. If you hang with him, you will get to drink some crazy good wine.
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:
Originally posted by dinwiddie:
I think it was sometime in 2002 with a bunch of folks from both the WS and VinoCellar boards. Dinner at Equinox with lots and lots of wine.

But I'm getting old and can't remember when and which crew the dinners were for. I do remember one that PurpleHaze attended when my son, now 25, was at when he was 14.

I think I counted this as a VC offline, dinwiddie! I still remember the 1998 Brune et Blonde you brought that evening. What a great bottle of wine. That was a fun night. Watergate, no?

PH

Yep, the Watergate. I remember Chris's reaction when he found out that Jake was still in High school, not just graduated from college. I guess the beard threw him off.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Jcocktosten:
quote:
Originally posted by vinole:
quote:
Summer of either 07 or 08. Went to Bistro Provonce with JC/FKG, Vinole and Rob/Monica. I think Rothko and Hoopty were there too but Im not sure.

I think this one may be the one you are referring to as I recall you bringing the Margaux.

If I recall, that was it. Good night.

Yep. That was it. I'm pretty sure redknife was there too.

Yes indeed
quote:
Originally posted by Jorgerunfast:
Maybe 4 - 5 years ago. I met JC+FKG, Hoopty and his wife, and Ironotecan and his wife at a restaurant in Hollywood. Good times Smile

Yup, remember it well. It was a great time. And many to follow, many of them at FKG and JC's home. Gracious and generous hosts for sure.
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
The first "offline" was at my home with steve8 when he was in town on business. We had a '95 Ornellaia and an '01 Neal. The very first "TWC offline" was at the Royal York Hotel with futronic, maverick drinker, slan, Dartvader,carriedca,bowhunter61,baird6967 and myself. We've all passed a lot of water since then!

Wasn't the first TWC - unofficial at least - a supper at an Italian restaurant before BYOW was legal, where we smuggled in our bottles and the owner looked the other way? Don't recall the year but it was dead of winter and futronic, mrs bman and I rode the streetcar.
quote:
Originally posted by kybo:
quote:
Originally posted by thelostverse:
March 27, 2004 at the Chicago Wine Mafia v. OhioRiverVino's a/k/a The Kentucka-Nati showdown at Scoozi in Chicago.

Talk about jumping into the deep end with both feet. Smile

That was a great time! Who knew VM was so hell-bent on winning the "blind" tasting that he would actually pour his teams' wines into different bottles so we couldn't pick up on the varietal by the bottle type.

kybo, wasn't your first my first - the infamous June 2002 offline in NYC organized by Board-O?
I'll have to ask PoolBoy but there was an offline in New Jersey along with a side trip to see Mud Puppy for some wine shopping in I believe July of '04. I remember the drive because I "borrowed" my wife's new car to drive us (PB, Jake, and I) there from DC.
quote:
Originally posted by dr.darkrichandbold:
Hard to believe how long it has been, and all the time that has passed! Good memories and sad ones too. Mostly good though!

OMG, he rises from the forgotten mists of WS Forums time! How are you doing Dr. DRAB! We still see your name as a verb around here from time to time!
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
quote:
Originally posted by dr.darkrichandbold:
Hard to believe how long it has been, and all the time that has passed! Good memories and sad ones too. Mostly good though!

OMG, he rises from the forgotten mists of WS Forums time! How are you doing Dr. DRAB! We still see your name as a verb around here from time to time!

... and he has a twin brother from different mothers in Montreal as well. Wink
quote:
quote:
The first "offline" was at my home with steve8 when he was in town on business. We had a '95 Ornellaia and an '01 Neal. The very first "TWC offline" was at the Royal York Hotel with futronic, maverick drinker, slan, Dartvader,carriedca,bowhunter61,baird6967 and myself. We've all passed a lot of water since then!

Wasn't the first TWC - unofficial at least - a supper at an Italian restaurant before BYOW was legal, where we smuggled in our bottles and the owner looked the other way? Don't recall the year but it was dead of winter and futronic, mrs bman and I rode the streetcar.

I believe it was an Italian restaurant called Nido, and yes, it was before BYOW was "allowed" in Toronto. I think however that it was after the Royal York.
quote:
quote:
quote:

I believe it was an Italian restaurant called Nido, and yes, it was before BYOW was "allowed" in Toronto. I think however that it was after the Royal York.

No doubt you are correct, Dok. My memory is understandably foggy after so many years....
quote:
quote:
quote:
March 27, 2004 at the Chicago Wine Mafia v. OhioRiverVino's a/k/a The Kentucka-Nati showdown at Scoozi in Chicago.

That was a great time! Who knew VM was so hell-bent on winning the "blind" tasting that he would actually pour his teams' wines into different bottles so we couldn't pick up on the varietal by the bottle type.

kybo, wasn't your first my first - the infamous June 2002 offline in NYC organized by Board-O?

Hello BMan! Kybo was definitely at the 6/15/02 NYC offline, as was I. That was my first official offline, although I caught up with the King Of Hearts a few months prior when he came into Pittsburgh to cover the Steeler-Pats playoff game (in the midst of Spygate, not that I am bitter or anything Smile). I remember arriving early and helping Board-O and Latour 67 set up that Las Cases 6L for serving.

I also attended the Seattle Soiree a few months later. There were a few of us that made both the NYC and Seattle (Delille)off-lines. I can't remember who offhand.

I hope you are well.
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Mci:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Hello BMan! Kybo was definitely at the 6/15/02 NYC offline, as was I. That was my first official offline, although I caught up with the King Of Hearts a few months prior when he came into Pittsburgh to cover the Steeler-Pats playoff game (in the midst of Spygate, not that I am bitter or anything Smile). I remember arriving early and helping Board-O and Latour 67 set up that Las Cases 6L for serving.

I also attended the Seattle Soiree a few months later. There were a few of us that made both the NYC and Seattle (Delille)off-lines. I can't remember who offhand.

I hope you are well.

We are well Dave, and it's great to hear from you! Smile This thread is really bringing out the oldtimers!! Don't be such a stranger, eh?
I think my first was at g-man's house. Brought over by T-bird.

I'd been drinking wine for years and had hung out with people from other boards, but quit hanging around WS when they started charging for content. T-bird brought me back. Now I have buddies here.

<bump>

Found this thread when searching for something else.  Great history and stories.  Might benefit from some updates from newer posters, methinks...

A quick thought for those of you who have never been to an offline.  Just do it.  After the past 3 weeks hanging out with, and drinking great wines with people I've met here, it occurs to me that a good number of the folks that I consider my dearest friends these days were met over a glass of wine at an offline started here.  

PH

bomba503 posted:

My first with the San Diego WS crew was February 2014 down in San Diego proper. The most notable thing about it was that Steve8 was actually in town from Toronto Montreal and I got to meet him as well.

Close enough. I think that was my last visit to San Diego. 5 years already I'm overdue for a visit.

Nice dumpster dive PH.

steve8 posted:
bomba503 posted:

My first with the San Diego WS crew was February 2014 down in San Diego proper. The most notable thing about it was that Steve8 was actually in town from Toronto Montreal and I got to meet him as well.

Close enough. I think that was my last visit to San Diego. 5 years already I'm overdue for a visit.

Nice dumpster dive PH.

As you are to Chicago’s western suburbs. 

vinoevelo posted:

This one:

https://forums.winespectator.c...-2-12-veritas?page=1

I was nervous, had no idea what i was walking into.  Who knew what it was going to lead to with many of the attendees now being dear friends.

"The brickworks is located in the Don Valley between the Bayview extension and the ramp to DVP, sort of at the bottom of the bridge that connects Bloor to the Danforth."

Well, no wonder you were nervous.  This sounds like directions to a battle in GoT!

Ours was way back on 9/26/05.  Purple Haze organized it at a restaurant in Ellicott City, MD, called Tersiguels.  I vaguely recall that Comet Spider and Festiva were there, and maybe Gentleman Farmer.  The wives and significant others were in attendance mostly as well.

Purple Haze and his daughter had been to an offline the night before, if I recall correctly.

irwin posted:

Ours was way back on 9/26/05.  Purple Haze organized it at a restaurant in Ellicott City, MD, called Tersiguels.  I vaguely recall that Comet Spider and Festiva were there, and maybe Gentleman Farmer.  The wives and significant others were in attendance mostly as well.

Purple Haze and his daughter had been to an offline the night before, if I recall correctly.

That was a really good start for the MD gang, irwin.  Gf missed the inaugural offline, but came to #2.  Glad to see Tersiguel's is back in business after their 2nd flood.  It would be fun to go back there again, just not when it's raining.  

PH

This was my first official WS offline:

https://forums.winespectator.c...il-bottles-are-empty

At the late Paese on King. Organized by machine. Attendees included vinojoe, shavez, jhcwine, vinchanted, aav28, zsjoeblack.

At the end of the thread I posted a link to photos of the wines. Surprisingly, 4 1/2 years later and I still haven't pulled down the pics:

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/r71ymdz9029qpap/HKjkz0DCEl

Mine was with the San Diego Crew at 3rd Corner in Ocean Beach. Man was I nervous.  I was (still am) a country girl from AR and was just getting into good wine.  I’m pretty sure it was Sept, 2007.  SD-Wineaux was the first of the gang to get there and made me feel very welcome.  The SD gang patiently brought me along into the world of fine wine and many are now great friends.  A real life-changing event for me and now off-lines are some of my most enjoyable events!

purplehaze posted:
irwin posted:

That was a really good start for the MD gang, irwin.  Gf missed the inaugural offline, but came to #2.  Glad to see Tersiguel's is back in business after their 2nd flood.  It would be fun to go back there again, just not when it's raining.  

PH

Indeed I "missed" the one at Tersiguel's as I wanted to see if there would be survivors left to tell the tale.  I figured there would be less risk to life and limb if I waited for the second.

It turns out you guys are safe.

Well, maybe.     

gentlemanfarmer posted:
purplehaze posted:
irwin posted:

PH

Indeed I "missed" the one at Tersiguel's as I wanted to see if there would be survivors left to tell the tale.  I figured there would be less risk to life and limb if I waited for the second.

It turns out you guys are safe.

Well, maybe.     

"safe" is a relative term, my friend.

As jcocktosten mentions, it was back in 2003 when I met him and FKG at Disney World, at a bar at the Beach Club resort.  Back then, telling my wife that we were going to meet someone from the Internet I'd never met before was the same as telling her we were going to meet a murderer.  Fortunately, jcocktosten and FKG were completely gracious and wonderful, so after that my wife was less concerned when I told her we were going to meet other people for dinner and wine at an "offline."

Add Reply

Likes (0)