What were your best wine buys of 2012?

What were the best deals that you got on wine this year? Use any criteria that you want.

I'm going to list my top ten:

1. 2005 Domaine des Baumard Savennières Clos du Papillon @ $3 (WS91)
2. 2007 Joh. Jos. Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Kabinett @ $16 (WS92, WA91)
3. 2007 Jean-Marc Brocard Chablis Grand Cru Les Clos @ $20 (WS95)
4. 2006 Fontodi Flaccianello della Pieve Colli della Toscana Centrale IGT @ $60 (WS99, WA96)
5. 2008 Domaine Thierry Laffay Chablis 1er Cru Vaillons @ $3
6. 2006 Fattoria Viticcio Chianti Classico Riserva @ $12 (WS93, WA90)
7. 2008 Zind-Humbrecht Riesling Rangen de Thann Clos St. Urbain @ $40 (WS94, WA92)
8. 2004 Château Haut-Brion @ $200 (WS95)
9. 2009 Domaine Grand Veneur Lirac Clos de Sixte @ $10 (WA93, WS90)
10. N.V. G. Fluteau Champagne Blanc de Noirs Brut @ $15

VM
Original Post
I don’t hunt for deals myself as I just buy the wines I really want and not something else because it’s discounted. If a deal on a wine that I enjoy hits me in the face then great, but other than that I just stick to my budget and buy what I want. The following are wines I buy that I think drink great for the price paid.
1. Lopez de Heredia Gran Reservas. 94 and 95 vintages were released this year and purchased for about $80-90 depending on the store. This is the best deal in wine in my opinion and I would probably spend much more than they charge to have these wines in my cellar.
2. The wines from Chapoutier’s Bila-Haut project in the Roussillon. Awesome wines that drink much better than their $10-$20 price tag suggests.
3. Whites from Germany, Loire, Alsace and Alto Adige. Too many wines to name, but for the price there is an ocean of great wine in these regions.
2007 Mitolo Savitar $35
2005 Petrolo Galatrona $62
2003 Giacondo BdM $33
2001 Carpiento Molin Vecchio $36

Italy and Austrailia seem to be having some real fire sales lately.

But my best buy was probably 3 cases of 24 1/2 bottles of 2010 Jadot Macon Villages for .99 cents a bottle. Hard to touch that price, especially on something more than decent as an everyday drinker.
The best buys of the year, relative to current market, at a cost of $25.86/bottle, with provenance as close to ideal as one can hope for as the second owner of these bottles:
1989 Lynch Bages
1995 La Mission Haut Brion
1990 Figeac
1989 Pichon Lalande
1989 Leoville Las Cases
2000 Leoville Barton
2000 Pichon Baron
2001 Paloma Merlot (& a mag at $52)
1991 & 1995 Ridge Monte Bello
Togni cabs: 1990-1992, 1994, 1996, 1997 & 2001

Some other good deals:
A bunch of decent NV Champagnes (Launois, Arnould & others at under $20), plus some NV roses at less than $45 (Bollinger, Gosset & a couple of others)
2008 Brocard Chablis Les Clos at $35 (direct from the distributor, a friend, on close out)
1982 Borgogno Barolo Riserva at $40
2008 Petrolo Galatona at $60
2007 Petrolo Galatona at $66
2005 Rene Rostaing Côte-Rôtie Côte Blonde at $100
1997 Huet Cuvée Constance at $100
2007 Domaine Jean-Louis Chave Hermitage Blanc at $100

Not quite the $3 deals that VM finds, but I think I did fairly well for our cellar this year...and there's a few days to go...
quote:
Originally posted by Vino Me:
What were the best deals that you got on wine this year? Use any criteria that you want.

I'm going to list my top ten:

1. 2005 Domaine des Baumard Savennières Clos du Papillon @ $3 (WS91)
2. 2007 Joh. Jos. Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Kabinett @ $16 (WS92, WA91)
3. 2007 Jean-Marc Brocard Chablis Grand Cru Les Clos @ $20 (WS95)
4. 2006 Fontodi Flaccianello della Pieve Colli della Toscana Centrale IGT @ $60 (WS99, WA96)
5. 2008 Domaine Thierry Laffay Chablis 1er Cru Vaillons @ $3
6. 2006 Fattoria Viticcio Chianti Classico Riserva @ $12 (WS93, WA90)
7. 2008 Zind-Humbrecht Riesling Rangen de Thann Clos St. Urbain @ $40 (WS94, WA92)
8. 2004 Château Haut-Brion @ $200 (WS95)
9. 2009 Domaine Grand Veneur Lirac Clos de Sixte @ $10 (WA93, WS90)
10. N.V. G. Fluteau Champagne Blanc de Noirs Brut @ $15

VM


2006 Fontodi Flaccianello for 60. You stole that one, mon frere!
quote:
Originally posted by AllRed:
The best buys of the year, relative to current market, at a cost of $25.86/bottle, with provenance as close to ideal as one can hope for as the second owner of these bottles:
1989 Lynch Bages
1995 La Mission Haut Brion
1990 Figeac
1989 Pichon Lalande
1989 Leoville Las Cases
2000 Leoville Barton
2000 Pichon Baron
2001 Paloma Merlot (& a mag at $52)
1991 & 1995 Ridge Monte Bello
Togni cabs: 1990-1992, 1994, 1996, 1997 & 2001

Did you buy these as a group?

VM
quote:
Originally posted by Vino Me:
quote:
Originally posted by AllRed:
The best buys of the year, relative to current market, at a cost of $25.86/bottle, with provenance as close to ideal as one can hope for as the second owner of these bottles:
1989 Lynch Bages
1995 La Mission Haut Brion
1990 Figeac
1989 Pichon Lalande
1989 Leoville Las Cases
2000 Leoville Barton
2000 Pichon Baron
2001 Paloma Merlot (& a mag at $52)
1991 & 1995 Ridge Monte Bello
Togni cabs: 1990-1992, 1994, 1996, 1997 & 2001

Did you buy these as a group?

VM


Yes.

There were some bottles that were definitely not worth the $25, a 1994 Chateau Tour Robert for example, but all things considered, I got a hell of a deal IMO.
quote:
Originally posted by Vino Me:
What were the best deals that you got on wine this year? Use any criteria that you want.

I'm going to list my top ten:

1. 2005 Domaine des Baumard Savennières Clos du Papillon @ $3 (WS91)
)
5. 2008 Domaine Thierry Laffay Chablis 1er Cru Vaillons @ $3

VM


Where and how do find a $3 bottle of wine?
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Teeth:
quote:
Originally posted by Vino Me:
What were the best deals that you got on wine this year? Use any criteria that you want.

I'm going to list my top ten:

1. 2005 Domaine des Baumard Savennières Clos du Papillon @ $3 (WS91)
)
5. 2008 Domaine Thierry Laffay Chablis 1er Cru Vaillons @ $3

VM


Where and how do find a $3 bottle of wine?

Those particular bottles were being closed out by a local wine store. I did not ask why they were being closed out but the manager saw me putting them in my cart and said they were a great deal. I agreed. They also had the Brocard Les Clos (part of my list above) on that shelf but it was not marked so I asked how much. The manager said it was originally marked $70 but he would sell them to me for $20 each.

VM
Not even close to Allred and Vino Me but here it is:

2001 Ridge Monte bello $110
2007 Verite La Muse $169
2004 Aldo Conterno Romarisco Barolo $65
2008 Orma (pre-arrival) $25
1966 Leoville Poyferre $63, Oldest wine I've had ever dranked and still drinkable!
1995 Beringer Private Reserve $50
1987 Beringer Private Reserve $50
2003 Rieussec (375) $24
2003 La Tour Blanche (750) $73, This purchase was in local in Canada, so ya its darn good price.

Oops! That's only 9/10. Well a few more days to go, we'll see what happens.
The ones that stand out for me are:

2008 Etude Cabernet Sauvignon Rutherford - $50
2002 Taittinger Champagne Brut Blanc de Blancs Comtes de Champagne - $100
2010 M. Chapoutier Ermitage Blanc l'Ermite - $180
2010 M. Chapoutier Ermitage Le Pavillon - $130
2009 Paul Jaboulet Aîné Hermitage La Chapelle - $140
2009 M. Chapoutier Ermitage Les Greffieux - $80
one of my best purchases, in the QPR department, is the 2007 Roundhouse Cabernet Alexander Valley.
It is a sturdy wine, with oak, vanilla, spice, clove. Complex and quite quaffable.
Picked it up on sale...case price was $8.79 a bottle, and it is an 88 pointer, in my view.
The Piper-Heidsiec Brut is on sale for 26 bucks here. Seems like a very good deal, although I haven't had the wine yet. Thinking of grabbing a few for new years, and if its as good as the review grabbing a case for the long haul. Very skeptical about the review however.
quote:
Originally posted by Icewino:
The Piper-Heidsiec Brut is on sale for 26 bucks here. Seems like a very good deal, although I haven't had the wine yet. Thinking of grabbing a few for new years, and if its as good as the review grabbing a case for the long haul. Very skeptical about the review however.


It is a good deal. It's the best sub $50 NV I've tasted. I find it really clean, and with a good yeasty/toasty quality that I enjoy. I buy a few without hesitation when I see it near $25. But I'd crack one, see if you like it first.

Add Reply

Likes (0)
×
×
×
×