I had a similar issue with local rodents last summer. I had built a fencing system with chicken wire and a gate around the perimeter and still lost most of what I grew. While lamenting the situation to a friend, with a very successful garden, he explained I missed one key point in the fence system. This year I will hook up the chicken wire to a car battery in hopes of better results.

and thanks for the reminder that i need to start my seedlings.
Basil, parsley, thyme, rosemary, oregano (greek and Mexican, cilantro, tarragon, and jalapenos (tomatoes don't like the salt air) for the food garden.

For just looking, date palms, esperanza, hibiscus, ornamental ginger, star jasmine, and various annual flowers.
quote:
Originally posted by haggis:
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
Palms, cacti, agave, desert roses, bougainvillas, bromeliads, and a bunch of other ornamentals.

Throw some orchids onto the palms. Can you grow plumeria there? Should be able to, I would think.

Some of my neighbors put orchids on their palms. I like the palms better without them. I don't know what plumeria is (are?).
Last weekend we put planted cantaloupe, watermelon, arugula and cucumber. Tomatoes and peppers will be in a couple weeks.

We are trying out a community garden this year. They have a communal herb garden which I've already helped myself to some rosemary. Very nice not having to eat up space with all that stuff.
Mrs. S is the garden master here. I think this is the majority of the seeds she currently has underway:

Roma paste tomatoes
Nebraska wedding tomatoes
San Marzano tomatoes
Super sweet tomatoes
Yellow pear tomatoes
Sweet million tomatoes
Burpee heirloom tomatoes
Black pear tomatoes
Lemon boy tomatoes
Principe borghese tomatoes
Fox cherry tomatoes
Prizehead lettuce
Mesclun
Kale
Beets
Spinach matador
Bloomsdale spinach
Long green cucumber
Crystal apple cucumber
Lemon cucumber
Bright lights swiss chard
Thyme
Dill
Marjoram
Basil
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by haggis:
quote:
Palms, cacti, agave, desert roses, bougainvillas, bromeliads, and a bunch of other ornamentals.

Throw some orchids onto the palms. Can you grow plumeria there? Should be able to, I would think.

Some of my neighbors put orchids on their palms. I like the palms better without them. I don't know what plumeria is (are?).

Otherwise known as frangipani.
Large shrub/small tree, many with exquisitely fragrant flowers. Widely-planted in Hawaii, but they should do well in your area. I agree that palms are better w/o orchids, which was part of my reason for suggesting plumeria, which are lovely in their own right and are very suitable for attaching orchids. We did a lot of that when we lived in Hawaii and they were beautiful.
Let's see the permanent things:
Articokes
Walnuts
Almonds
Holly Cherry (which makes a great Manhattan cherry)
Olives
Apricot
Lemon
Fuji Apple
Peach
Rosemary
Sage
Lavender

Things I've already harvested or am harvesting:
Napa Cabbage
Radish
Italian Parsley
Asparagus

Growing now:
3 types of tomato
5 types of pepper
cucumbers
cauliflower
broccoli
romaine lettuce
celery
red and yellow onions
garlic
cilantro
mint
basil
oregano
strawberry
swiss chard
brussel sprouts

In the ground or seed pots:
ginger
eggplant
6 more types of tomato
8 more types of peppers

I also have volunteer potato coming up in two planters and blackberry I can't kill. I usually get volunteer pumpkins also and last year a tomatillo came up on the back of the property.

I'm going light on tomato this year. I'll probably only keep 6 plants. Last year in August I was harvesting 30 pounds every few days. I'll rotate in the summer melon and squash crops when the spring crops come out and then green beans and fall squash latter in the summer.
That's a hard act to follow, but I have to toot my wife's horn, who is the gardener:

Herb garden is looking great with the exception of the basil and peppers:
Chive
Cilantro
Oregano
Sage
Thyme
Strawberry...birds will probably get all of these.

Front yard...more in the landscape category (or the English use of 'garden'):
We put in d.g. with about 40 different types of succulents...ocotillo, aeniums, echevarria, lithops, calandrinia, aloes, ox tongue etc. Some are in beautiful full bloom and others budding. We lost about 5 with all of the rain we got. An amazing star jasmine climber on the patio. Various potted and planters, fig tree, cacti, etc. A small rockery with succulents, milkweed, lavender around a mature sago palm. Taming a bougainvillea, trained into a hedge with a bed of vincas et al.
A struggling potted Gardena...any tips?

Back yard is still a work in progress:
Various potted plants I don't know the name of
Site furnishing with flower beds
Roses
We planted three small citrus interspersed with 2 types purple flower bushes - clementine, eureka lemon (producing) and Bearss seedless lime...we got about 2 dozen of the best tasting, juiciest limes I've ever had. Useful for a tequila-drinking family.
Potted olive tree
Slightly unruly lawn
Sadly, an avocado tree we planted didn't make it.
A couple of other small trees.
And on a fence, a painted 'tree of life' with a sky blue background.
quote:
Originally posted by Stefania Wine:
Let's see the permanent things:
Articokes
Walnuts
Almonds
Holly Cherry (which makes a great Manhattan cherry)
Olives
Apricot
Lemon
Fuji Apple
Peach
Rosemary
Sage
Lavender

Things I've already harvested or am harvesting:
Napa Cabbage
Radish
Italian Parsley
Asparagus

Growing now:
3 types of tomato
5 types of pepper
cucumbers
cauliflower
broccoli
romaine lettuce
celery
red and yellow onions
garlic
cilantro
mint
basil
oregano
strawberry
swiss chard
brussel sprouts

In the ground or seed pots:
ginger
eggplant
6 more types of tomato
8 more types of peppers

I also have volunteer potato coming up in two planters and blackberry I can't kill. I usually get volunteer pumpkins also and last year a tomatillo came up on the back of the property.

I'm going light on tomato this year. I'll probably only keep 6 plants. Last year in August I was harvesting 30 pounds every few days. I'll rotate in the summer melon and squash crops when the spring crops come out and then green beans and fall squash latter in the summer.

Wow...are you ambitious! Impressive.

Add Reply

Likes (0)