One of the local grocers has their own produce company called Roundy's and they make a fine Classic Potato Chip.
Original Post
quote:
Originally posted by aphilla:
One of the local grocers has their own produce company called Roundy's and they make a fine Classic Potato Chip.


Smile
There is a convenience store down the street from us that has curated the most wonderful artisinally puffed corn, dusted in what I can only describe as "magic cheddar fairy dust" in the hue of traffic pylon. I understand they are handmade by someone named Chester Cheetah, and if given the opportunity, my eldest will eat them until he vomits.

(I feel I need to end this with an 'absolutely!')

quote:
Originally posted by vinoevelo:
There is a convenience store down the street from us that has curated the most wonderful artisinally puffed corn, dusted in what I can only describe as "magic cheddar fairy dust" in the hue of traffic pylon. I understand they are handmade by someone named Chester Cheetah, and if given the opportunity, my eldest will eat them until he vomits.

(I feel I need to end this with an 'absolutely!')



Big Grin
I have a thing for Doritos. Last time I went to Lewiston to pick up wine the local Tops supermarket had 'Ranch Dipped Hot Wings' on special. $2/bag, buy 2 get 3 free. Yes 5 bags for $4.

Yes I bought a lot of them. Yes a bag of them has been my dinner on more than three occasions since.
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Sutherland:
I have a thing for Doritos. Last time I went to Lewiston to pick up wine the local Tops supermarket had 'Ranch Dipped Hot Wings' on special. $2/bag, buy 2 get 3 free. Yes 5 bags for $4.

Yes I bought a lot of them. Yes a bag of them has been my dinner on more than three occasions since.

My image of you has just been completely blown.
I rarely eat flavored chips. Although I have been trying to avoid them, Trader Joe's Olive Oil and Sea Salt chips are by far my favorite commercially made chips.
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Sutherland:
I have a thing for Doritos. Last time I went to Lewiston to pick up wine the local Tops supermarket had 'Ranch Dipped Hot Wings' on special. $2/bag, buy 2 get 3 free. Yes 5 bags for $4.

Yes I bought a lot of them. Yes a bag of them has been my dinner on more than three occasions since.

My image of you has just been completely blown.


My one savory snack weakness. I can actually have just one Pringle. My five year old becomes a growling, feral animal if you try to take his Miss Vickies plain chips from him but I couldn't care less. But put spicy, non-nacho cheese Doritos in front of me and they will be consumed. Until there is no more. I may take the bowl/bag to another room to distance myself from other would be consumers of the doritos.
I can live without having to eat potato chips longer than ice cream. But put a bag of Salt & Vinegar (any brand) on the table near me, and it will be consumed almost instantly.
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
I suddenly got a taste for Nachos reading this


I have personally witnessed what you can do to a bag of Doritos, good sir. It is a very scary thing to witness.

Big Utz fan here.

PH
Sterzing's a brand made in Burlington, Iowa. Lots of grease and salt. I think they just started shipping web orders for $11 per 16 oz bag with free shipping. Although that seems like a lot, most places are charging you $4 for 6 oz of chips that are not nearly as good. The ingredients now are the same as they always were. Potatoes, salt, and oil. Nothing else.
I don't normally eat chips, but when I do I prefer kettle chips with my favorites being salt & vinegar, Backyard Barbecue and Maple Bacon! And I concur with the Utz Crab Chip being an outstanding choice, a Maryland delicacy.
quote:
Originally posted by Rothko:
Utz Crab Chips - the best!


Made some homemade chips the other day and seasoned extremely generously with Old Bay . . . fantastic but 3 large russets' worth disappeared within minutes
Seeing the title of this thread made me crave potato chips for the first time in years! Cur-sed be!!!!


FWIW: Hawaiian Kettle Stye Potato Chips
Not potato chips but El Napolito tortilla chips with my lunch. Locally made and widely thought to be the best in SoCal. Whenever I head up to OC my non-gringo friends require that I bring them.

I do miss Utz's pretzels
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
I have personally witnessed what you can do to a bag of Doritos, good sir. It is a very scary thing to witness.
PH

Big Grin Admittedly true. However that is greatly influenced by specific triggers Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
I have personally witnessed what you can do to a bag of Doritos, good sir. It is a very scary thing to witness.
PH

Big Grin Admittedly true. However that is greatly influenced by specific triggers Big Grin


No comment. Wink

PH
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
I have personally witnessed what you can do to a bag of Doritos, good sir. It is a very scary thing to witness.
PH

Big Grin Admittedly true. However that is greatly influenced by specific triggers Big Grin


I remember camping years ago with a group of people and some very munchie inducing brownies. Line of the night was "Oh god, the more I eat the hungrier I get!"
quote:
Originally posted by Jcocktosten:
I rarely eat flavored chips. Although I have been trying to avoid them, Trader Joe's Olive Oil and Sea Salt chips are by far my favorite commercially made chips.


I'm not a potato chip guy at all, but those sound good!
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by Jcocktosten:
I rarely eat flavored chips. Although I have been trying to avoid them, Trader Joe's Olive Oil and Sea Salt chips are by far my favorite commercially made chips.


I'm not a potato chip guy at all, but those sound good!


I like them because they taste great and have 3 ingredients - potatoes, olive oil and sea salt and are very crunchy
A place in town fries them fresh and serves them as a side. I slather them in malt vinegar for a couple minutes so they're gooey on the outside and crunchy in the middle. Pure greasy unhealthy goodness.
I was hoping to learn that someone paid $100 for a 2.73oz bag of chips made with the finest potatoes with the best potato terroir in the world. I'm a little disappointed.
Only the finest, ultra-thickly sliced Idaho beauties quick fried in the rarest hand-pressed oil, covered delicately by coarse, hand-harvested, deep-water sea salt, absolutely!
I don't honk for a lot of local Indy stuff, but hyper local Broad Ripple Chip Co. makes the best regular bagged potato chip I've ever had. I have a lot of will power, and only slam two or three bags a year. linky
I've had quite a few tasty brands over the last few weeks:

Doritos Spicy Nacho
Kettle Brand Buffalo Bleu
Kettle Brand Jalapeno
Utz Kettle Classics Dark Russet
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
Old Dutch BBQ- simply the best

Was wondering when we'd hear from the Old Dutch & Miss Vickie's crowd. Both good in my books.
quote:
Originally posted by PD2K:
I've had quite a few tasty brands over the last few weeks:

Doritos Spicy Nacho

To me the flavors of Doritos tastes like chemical creations from the New Jersey flavor mills. They seem to be coated with it.
quote:
Originally posted by The Old Man:
quote:
Originally posted by PD2K:
I've had quite a few tasty brands over the last few weeks:

Doritos Spicy Nacho

To me the flavors of Doritos tastes like chemical creations from the New Jersey flavor mills. They seem to be coated with it.

I'm kinda addicted to them, so it probably makes sense
I can breeze through a bag of Lay's Cheddar and Sour Cream potato chips in no time. It was a sad day when they doubled the price and made the bag smaller.
I get down with those Oolala chips previously mentioned. I think they have about 5 flavours, all of which are delicious. They pair wonderfully with a bottle of Champagne. And with that, I've decided on dinner for this evening.

While not as elegant in flavouring as the above, I also enjoy Neal Brothers' Sirachup chips.
I conducted a potato chip tasting based upon this thread. All were the basic potato chip.

#1: Dirty Brand Sea Salt Potato Chips. These chips don't have quite the texture and substance of crunch that the Kettle brand chips do. But they get very high marks on potatoeyness and being appropriately salted all while having good texture.

#2: Hawaiian Brand Potato Chips. These are very similar to the Dirty potato chips. They fall behind a bit in potatoeyness but have a very pleasant snap to the crispness and caramelized flavor.

#3: Kettle Brand Sea Salt Potato Chips. These are the most frustrating chip. They are almost as potatoey as the Dirty chips and they fall in between the Dirty and Hawaiian on caramelization. The texture is amazing. The most snap of any chip but also the thickest and easily the most substantial. These have the texture of food. However, they are over salted. Additionally, that incredible texture can come at the price of bruised gums if you eat too many, depending upon your specific mouth and chewing habits.

#4: Trader Joe's Potato, Olive Oil, Salt Kettle Style Potato Chips. These were quite good but clearly brought up the rear. The chips were airy and crisp compared to the others with many tiny little pockets of air within the chip -- the exact opposite of the Kettle Brand chip consistency. They simply did not feel substantial in the mouth. While the "cleanest" tasting and least salty (which is not a bad thing) these were also easily the least potatoey and did not have any caramelization. The olive oil, I think, contributed to the lightness of the chip, but I think based upon this limited sample, that for potato chips peanut oil might be the way to go.
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleD:
I couldn't resist and picked up a couple of bags of Utz - russet and jalapeño. Russet was very good.

I'll 2nd the Dark Russet Utz. Really addictive. Also recommend the Kettle Brand Jalapeño...its pretty good.
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
Just powered through a bag of Miss Vickie's Sweet Chili and Sour Cream.

Did it successfully help cleanse away the nasty taste of burgundy? Smile
Great Lakes Brand
Made in Traverse City.
Apparently voted #1 by Chicago Tribune (at least that's what the website claims).
I keep my body between the bag and my kids at all times.
Kitchen Cooked - Farmington, IL

Available in central Illinois and some Rural King stores nationally.

I try not to buy these as it's too easy to eat through 2 10oz bags at once. They're not available near by, but I'll get some at a gas station in McLean, Ill, when I drive to Chicago.
Although some on this board (*cough* w+a *cough* Razz ) take pride in the fact they do not own a microwave, I just made a batch of potato chips in ours. And they're fantastic. Flavorful, light, crisp with a good crunch and not at all greasy, which I sometimes find with chips fried in oil. One of those things that sounds crazy...until you try it.
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
Although some on this board (*cough* w+a *cough* Razz ) take pride in the fact they do not own a microwave, I just made a batch of potato chips in ours. And they're fantastic. Flavorful, light, crisp with a good crunch and not at all greasy, which I sometimes find with chips fried in oil. One of those things that sounds crazy...until you try it.


I shall share with you why I don’t face to face later this very month.... Big Grin
Best fresh chips I ever had was at a restaurant in Williamsport PA. forgot the name but was in an old house just west of downtown on the main drag.

Crisp. Fresh. Warm!! and so thin!!!
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
Although some on this board (*cough* w+a *cough* Razz ) take pride in the fact they do not own a microwave, I just made a batch of potato chips in ours. And they're fantastic. Flavorful, light, crisp with a good crunch and not at all greasy, which I sometimes find with chips fried in oil. One of those things that sounds crazy...until you try it.


Is there any oil involved this method? or are you essentially dehydrating?
I don't eat very much bacon but I've seen it done masterfully in the microwave.
quote:
Originally posted by mangiare:
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
Although some on this board (*cough* w+a *cough* Razz ) take pride in the fact they do not own a microwave, I just made a batch of potato chips in ours. And they're fantastic. Flavorful, light, crisp with a good crunch and not at all greasy, which I sometimes find with chips fried in oil. One of those things that sounds crazy...until you try it.


Is there any oil involved this method? or are you essentially dehydrating?
I don't eat very much bacon but I've seen it done masterfully in the microwave.


I'd be interested in how you did this VinT. I tried it some time ago and the results were quite inconsistent so I never repeated the exercise.
quote:
Originally posted by mangiare:
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
Although some on this board (*cough* w+a *cough* Razz ) take pride in the fact they do not own a microwave, I just made a batch of potato chips in ours. And they're fantastic. Flavorful, light, crisp with a good crunch and not at all greasy, which I sometimes find with chips fried in oil. One of those things that sounds crazy...until you try it.


Is there any oil involved this method? or are you essentially dehydrating?
I don't eat very much bacon but I've seen it done masterfully in the microwave.

Tons of recipes online, some with oil and some without. I sliced super thin, tossed in a bag with a bit of olive oil to give a light coating and nuked on parchment paper for 5-6 min. Super crispy and highly addictive. Rightly or wrongly, I have convinced myself these are a 'healthy alternative' to regular chips.
There had to be some kind of fat content to crisp them up.
I love frying just about anything in olive oil for the flavour it gives.
just thinking, how big is your microwave? you doing 10 chips at a time every 5-6 minutes? no s$#t they're healthier.
I slice my potatoes into a uniform (and undisclosed) thickness, before placing them in a dehydrator, unceasingly, and then bake or fry! My potato chips are highly addictive, full-flavoured, World Class, and Award Winning, I will have you know Roll Eyes

Cheers!
~W&FE~
quote:
Originally posted by Wine and Food Expert:
I slice my potatoes into a uniform (and undisclosed) thickness, before placing them in a dehydrator, unceasingly, and then bake or fry! My potato chips are highly addictive, full-flavoured, World Class, and Award Winning, I will have you know Roll Eyes

Cheers!
~W&FE~

Slow day for the Dom?
quote:
Originally posted by mangiare:
There had to be some kind of fat content to crisp them up.
I love frying just about anything in olive oil for the flavour it gives.
just thinking, how big is your microwave? you doing 10 chips at a time every 5-6 minutes? no s$#t they're healthier.

More like 15-20 chips each time, but yeah it's a slow process. Today I tried cooking them right on the (freshly cleaned) glass microwave turntable. Got more chips but also took nearly ten minutes. The other tip that helps is putting the slices in a bowl of cold water right after cutting. Dry on paper towel before tossing in EVOO.
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
Although some on this board take pride in the fact they do not own a microwave, ...

I'm another that has no microwave. Ours went on the fritz a couple of years ago and we opted out of replacing it. Don't miss it.
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:


I shall share with you why I don’t face to face later this very month.... Big Grin

Exactly what is face to facing? Razz
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:


I shall share with you why I don’t face to face later this very month.... Big Grin

Exactly what is face to facing? Razz


Very exclusive. Only for those in the know. Cool
OoLaLa Black Truffle and Olive Oil Potato Chips

Potato chip crack. Ordered a case of them online (from Guelph, Ontario, about 40 minutes west of Toronto) because they've become difficult to source locally.
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
OoLaLa Black Truffle and Olive Oil Potato Chips

Potato chip crack. Ordered a case of them online (from Guelph, Ontario, about 40 minutes west of Toronto) because they've become difficult to source locally.


Not at Cheese Boutique? They had a different brand of black truffle chips. I didn't notice if OoLaLa was there... are they really THAT good?
quote:
Originally posted by VinCentric:
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
OoLaLa Black Truffle and Olive Oil Potato Chips

Potato chip crack. Ordered a case of them online (from Guelph, Ontario, about 40 minutes west of Toronto) because they've become difficult to source locally.

Not at Cheese Boutique? They had a different brand of black truffle chips. I didn't notice if OoLaLa was there... are they really THAT good?

Cheese Boutique has Torres brand black truffle chips. I haven't tried them because I only saw them last week when I was there, and I'd already ordered my OoLaLa. Plus the OoLaLa were $4.49 and the Torres were something like $6.75.

Yeah, OoLaLa are crack. I can eat a whole bag in one sitting. And then feel sick a few hours later.
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
quote:
Originally posted by VinCentric:
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
OoLaLa Black Truffle and Olive Oil Potato Chips

Potato chip crack. Ordered a case of them online (from Guelph, Ontario, about 40 minutes west of Toronto) because they've become difficult to source locally.

Not at Cheese Boutique? They had a different brand of black truffle chips. I didn't notice if OoLaLa was there... are they really THAT good?

Cheese Boutique has Torres brand black truffle chips. I haven't tried them because I only saw them last week when I was there, and I'd already ordered my OoLaLa. Plus the OoLaLa were $4.49 and the Torres were something like $6.75.

Yeah, OoLaLa are crack. I can eat a whole bag in one sitting. And then feel sick a few hours later.


The Torres jamon flavour are amazing.
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Sutherland:
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:


I shall share with you why I don’t face to face later this very month.... Big Grin

Exactly what is face to facing? Razz


Very exclusive. Only for those in the know. Cool

It appears our dear wine+art was having an off day with his punctuation. It should have read, "I shall share with you why I don't, face to face, later this month." Methinks they'll be sharing some bottles soon...
I almost never eat potato chips on their own, so don't often get "exotic" flavored chips. I bought a bag of Utz chips a few days back to accompany some chicken salad I made for sandwiches. If there's a better regular old school potato chip out there, please let me know.

PH
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
I almost never eat potato chips on their own, so don't often get "exotic" flavored chips. I bought a bag of Utz chips a few days back to accompany some chicken salad I made for sandwiches. If there's a better regular old school potato chip out there, please let me know.

PH


Ms Vickies Jalapeno! Cant stop eating them. Not a regular chip but u like spicy tasty stuff and these are as good as it gets.

Costco (Kirkland) Kettle Brand ridged potato chips with pink Himalayan sea salt.

My new favorite.  Only problem is the enormous size of the bag is conducive to over-eating.  

(It took me a week to get through the bag, and I was still over-eating.  On the plus side, the chips stayed pretty crispy all week.)

winetarelli posted:

Costco (Kirkland) Kettle Brand ridged potato chips with pink Himalayan sea salt.

My new favorite.  Only problem is the enormous size of the bag is conducive to over-eating.  

(It took me a week to get through the bag, and I was still over-eating.  On the plus side, the chips stayed pretty crispy all week.)

Thx for the suggestion - apart from my waist-line

I found a bag of Utz here recently; something we don't normally get in this area. Tried them, and I have to say, I don't know what the appeal is. Underflavored and undersalted. 

Despite all the fancy small-batch artisanal chips crowding the shelves, our hands-down fave right now is a lowly store brand from the local Metro grocery chain. Irresistibles Naturalia Sea Salt Potato Chips, kettle-cooked with dark russet potatoes, have just the right mix of crunch and saltiness for us. Added bonus: they’re almost always 2 bags for $4, so less than almost every other option. On the downside, a bag lasts for about eight minutes around me especially when I’m housebound and hangry. 

Last edited by vint

Vint hangry?!? I can't picture it. 

On a chips note, I've destroyed a couple of bags of Jalapeno Cheddar Doritos over the past couple of weeks. 

Somehow have managed to avoid chips so far.  Rice and pasta on the other hand - eaten more in the past 2 weeks than I have in the last 4-5 years.

Makes me wonder if people are gaining weight during the pandemic or are being good and eating healthy. From what I see in the grocery store, I think it is more of the former.

jcocktosten posted:

Somehow have managed to avoid chips so far.  Rice and pasta on the other hand - eaten more in the past 2 weeks than I have in the last 4-5 years.

No chops here. No rice here... yet. I’ve had 3lbs of pasta over the past 17 days, but my “issue” has been cheese. So. Much. Cheese. 

On the flip side - I have been running /exercising every day and with all meals cooked at home - healthwise I think it is a wash leaning towards slightly better than usual

mneeley490 posted:

I found a bag of Utz here recently; something we don't normally get in this area. Tried them, and I have to say, I don't know what the appeal is. Underflavored and undersalted. 

Funny... I was going to post on Utz, and thought I'd review recent posts before commenting.  I just opened a bag to go with some homemade chicken salad on multigrain bread.  They were friggin' fantastic.  Perfect balance of salt and potato.  No discernible oil flavor.  Love their ingredient list.  Potatoes, Cottonseed Oil and Salt.  Every complaint I've heard about Utz chips has been from somewhere other than the Northeast which is where they're made.  Post the expiration date and location of manufacture if you see this mneeley, please. 

I'm still going to the office every day (essential service, blah blah blah,) and a good sandwich and a few chips are a daily pleasure.

Cheers, all!  Wash your fucking hands.   

PH

purplehaze posted:
mneeley490 posted:

I found a bag of Utz here recently; something we don't normally get in this area. Tried them, and I have to say, I don't know what the appeal is. Underflavored and undersalted. 

Funny... I was going to post on Utz, and thought I'd review recent posts before commenting.  I just opened a bag to go with some homemade chicken salad on multigrain bread.  They were friggin' fantastic.  Perfect balance of salt and potato.  No discernible oil flavor.  Love their ingredient list.  Potatoes, Cottonseed Oil and Salt.  Every complaint I've heard about Utz chips has been from somewhere other than the Northeast which is where they're made.  Post the expiration date and location of manufacture if you see this mneeley, please. 

 

PH

I'm afraid I didn't hang on the empty bag. I didn't know they were valuable.

Add Reply

×
×
×
×
Link copied to your clipboard.
×