What distilled beverage are you drinking?

quote:
Originally posted by SanDiegoWino:
Had some friend's Caol Ila 30 from the Sovereign K&L release. Pretty cool to try but I think Lagavulin 16 is still my go to Isla...just the right amount of peat, smokiness, and smoothness.


That's one hell of a dram! It's "Islay," BTW. Hah!! I kid...
quote:
Originally posted by Vino Bevo:
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
Writer's Tears Irish Whiskey


What did you think?


VB, I bought this on a whim, thinking the writer I share my life with would get a laugh from the name. Upon opening, we were pleasantly surprised at how very drinkable this is. There's a caramel-tinged sweetness on the nose with hints of citrus and tropical fruits. Very soft in the mouth, with butterscotch and spice. Most impressive is the finish, which lingers without the burn I've found in the (admittedly few) other Irish whiskies I've experienced. My better half is not one to drink straight liquor, but she loved this.
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
quote:
Originally posted by Vino Bevo:
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
Writer's Tears Irish Whiskey


What did you think?


VB, I bought this on a whim, thinking the writer I share my life with would get a laugh from the name. Upon opening, we were pleasantly surprised at how very drinkable this is. There's a caramel-tinged sweetness on the nose with hints of citrus and tropical fruits. Very soft in the mouth, with butterscotch and spice. Most impressive is the finish, which lingers without the burn I've found in the (admittedly few) other Irish whiskies I've experienced. My better half is not one to drink straight liquor, but she loved this.


Thanks buddy - I've always been more into single malts but ever since an Ireland trip in 2011 I find myself enjoying Irish whisky more and more. Sounds like I need to find a bottle to try myself!
quote:
Originally posted by aphilla:
I'm intrigued by the concept of Rye Whisky just reading about it. Anyone have recommendations for interesting ones to try?


Cheap, but still pretty good:

- Jim Beam Rye ($12.99)

- Old Overholt Rye ($17.99)

Above $20:

- Bulleit 95 ($25)

Premium, and outstanding:

- Whistle Pig Rye ($70)

- Sazerac Rye 18 Year (Not sure on price, as I tried it from a friend's stash. I think it's > $100. Tough to find, but it's one of the best whiskies I've had.)
quote:
Originally posted by Shane T.:

Premium, and outstanding:

- Whistle Pig Rye ($70)

- Sazerac Rye 18 Year (Not sure on price, as I tried it from a friend's stash. I think it's > $100. Tough to find, but it's one of the best whiskies I've had.)


I really like Single Malt Scotch, so starting with the premiums is fine. One of the reasons I'm intrigued by this is that I heard about the drink called a Sazerac, so this is pretty interesting. Doesn't show up easily in places I know around here.

When you say it's one of the best whiskies you've had, compared to what? Bourbons, blends, SMSs?

Thanks
When I said Sazerac 18 was one of the best, I mean including foreign & domestic. I'm a huge Single Malt fan too. I like Scotch about as much as I like wine, and amazed by similarities between them (IE terroir). I tend to stay true to the Islay malts (Caol Ila & Bruichladich), but Springbank is another favorite of mine.

THE Sazerac is hands down, my favorite cocktail. Not too many places can do them right, so I normally just make them myself to avoid dissapointment. The key are the bitters. It HAS to be Peychaud's!

BTW, YouTube has some pretty good videos on how to authentically make this miracle of a beverage...just make sure the bartender is at least from New Orleans!
quote:
Originally posted by Shane T.:
quote:
Originally posted by aphilla:
I'm intrigued by the concept of Rye Whisky just reading about it. Anyone have recommendations for interesting ones to try?


Cheap, but still pretty good:

- Jim Beam Rye ($12.99)

- Old Overholt Rye ($17.99)

Above $20:

- Bulleit 95 ($25)

Premium, and outstanding:

- Whistle Pig Rye ($70)

- Sazerac Rye 18 Year (Not sure on price, as I tried it from a friend's stash. I think it's > $100. Tough to find, but it's one of the best whiskies I've had.)


-Rittenhouse 100 Rye --About $21-$30 depending on what state you buy it in. The price really belies the quality. One of the smoothest whiskies I've ever had. You can easily drink it neat.
quote:
Originally posted by MoselleLuxemburg:
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
....

Jameson
Jameson Special Reserve 12
Redbreast Single Pot Still 12

...


Nice Irish line-up, imho the best besides the Middleton very rare. Is that a personalised bottle of the Jameson 12 special reserve, from the distillery in Middleton?


Indeed. A friend who works for Pernod Ricard got a tour of the bottling plant last year. In a few months he's headed back for a visit to the distillery itself.
I don't understand the decision by Makers Mark to consider diluting their bourbon.

If increased demand is making the product scarce, it seems to me that the simple solution for the company is to raise the wholesale price accordingly, not to dilute the product.
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
quote:
Originally posted by MoselleLuxemburg:
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
....

Jameson
Jameson Special Reserve 12
Redbreast Single Pot Still 12

...


Nice Irish line-up, imho the best besides the Middleton very rare. Is that a personalised bottle of the Jameson 12 special reserve, from the distillery in Middleton?


Indeed. A friend who works for Pernod Ricard got a tour of the bottling plant last year. In a few months he's headed back for a visit to the distillery itself.


Cool. Strangely Jameson's Middleton distillery sells the personalised Jameson bottles, whereas the Dublin Distillery sells the Middleton very rare, which you can't find in Middleton.
quote:
Originally posted by Rothko:
I don't understand the decision by Makers Mark to consider diluting their bourbon.

If increased demand is making the product scarce, it seems to me that the simple solution for the company is to raise the wholesale price accordingly, not to dilute the product.

My buddy in AZ is the one who alerted me to this. He is in advertising, and predicted it would be a PR nightmare. Thankfully, they've removed the bullet from their foot.

Add Reply

Likes (0)
×
×
×
×