Skip to main content

Nothing as impressive as Longboarder's tasting (your SiL married well and at least I have both your second place finishers), but some recent value and summer selections.

I had drunk up a lot of my standard single malts and was having a hard time paying $15-20 more to replace them, so researched a bit to see what I could get that might be as good, but cost less.  Mostly hits with a miss or two, with the hits being

GlenDronach 15

Deanston 12

Compass Box The Spice Tree

Benromach 10 (light peat a la HP)

GlenGoyne Cask Strength 58.8%

Bourbon is always a much easier value proposition, with recent newbies being

Very Old Barton 90 prf

Old Ezra 7 Barrel Strength 58.5% (Heaven Hill juice)

Elijah Craig barrel pick (hadn't had the regular 94 prf in some time but this was really nice)

Given the FL summer, I moved my Islays off the shelf to make room for the above and some new rum.

Barbancourt 5 Star 8 year (the cognac of rum)

Foursquare 2004 59% (I add a fair amount of water to this)

Last edited by vinole
@vinole posted:

Nothing as impressive as Longboarder's tasting (your SiL married well and at least I have both your second place finishers), but some recent value and summer selections.

I had drunk up a lot of my standard single malts and was having a hard time paying $15-20 more to replace them, so researched a bit to see what I could get that might be as good, but cost less.  Mostly hits with a miss or two, with the hits being

GlenDronach 15

Deanston 12

Compass Box The Spice Tree

Benromach 10 (light peat a la HP)

GlenGoyne Cask Strength 58.8%

Bourbon is always a much easier value proposition, with recent newbies being

Very Old Barton 90 prf

Old Ezra 7 Barrel Strength 58.5% (Heaven Hill juice)

Elijah Craig barrel pick (hadn't had the regular 94 prf in some time but this was really nice)

Given the FL summer, I moved my Islays off the shelf to make room for the above and some new rum.

Barbancourt 5 Star 8 year (the cognac of rum)

Foursquare 2004 59% (I add a fair amount of water to this)

I’ve been wanting to try the Old Ezra 7 yr but can’t find it in NC. If you are ever in the Raleigh area we can arrange a tasting. 

@The Old Man posted:

Pinch. Revisiting Scotch blends I used to drink in the 80s. Of course it's the Scotch bottle of film noir. And also very good.

Funny, in the 80's I had two good friends who were my father's age, we were all hunting buddies. They were big Cutty Sark fans. All I knew then was that I didn't like it. So coming back from St. Thomas in '86, I asked the manager of a duty-free what a good blended scotch might be? He suggested Pinch, and I bought them each a bottle and brought it home. WA state liquor stores were pretty draconian on choices back then. They acted like the stuff was liquid gold, which I guess compared to Cutty Sark, it probably was.

Last edited by mneeley490
@jcocktosten posted:

As he does not drink, I cannot imagine he was drinking a distilled beverage at the time - perhaps some bad and cheap moonshine would  be a good option

He met Nick in the White House in 2018!  Clearly, the question of who is the head coach at Alabama you met a little over a year ago after you attended the game he was coaching was not asked on Dump’s visit to Walter Reed! 

Perhaps Dump was asked, “ how many hands does it take you to drink a glass of water?” 🙈

@longboarder posted:

I’ve been wanting to try the Old Ezra 7 yr but can’t find it in NC. If you are ever in the Raleigh area we can arrange a tasting. 

Just so happens I have a son going to school there (and another that was in Chapel Hill until last year), so would be great to hook up for a tasting.  Probably won't be visiting until '21 though, given the short fall semester and the recent surge.

Since I last posted, my older son muled a Belle Meade Cask Strength (56.8%) from DC.  I actually like that a bit more than the Old Ezra as it is older (7-11 years) MGP juice.  I think the Old Ezra is essentially a cask strength version of Heaven Hill's new 7 year old BiB, which is no slouch either.  Also picked up the ECBP B520 yesterday, but haven't popped yet.

For the rum drinkers out there, Total Wine is running a sale now on the Doorly line made by FourSquare.  I picked up their 12 yr for under $22 with a 10% coupon, and found it really good.  Hard to beat at that price, and the 8 yr and XO are even less.

PSA- for all you folks chasing Blanton's, a new alternative is the Buffalo Trace Kosher Rye Recipe. It's 94 proof vs 93 for Blanton's and uses the same Mashbill 2. Only $40 MSRP.  I have not had it, but reviews range from it's the best MB2, to it's better than the regular Buffalo Trace. Worth a shot if you see it.

And for all you folks chasing Weller, the new Buffalo Trace Kosher Wheat Recipe is considered better than the Special Reserve.

Last edited by vinole

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.