quote:
Originally posted by marcb7:
Hendricks...chilled...2 olives...bottle of vermouth open in other room.

Lovely summertime beverage. I find the Hendricks+olives combo a tiny bit jumbled, flavor-wise. Not bad, just a lot of strong flavors at once. I tend to go garnish-free on my Hendricks, and, as you wisely note, that includes Vermouth.
Well I was out of cucumber..normally its a thin slice of that in the glass...but Ill drink it by itself....felt like olives last night Smile

By far my favorite Gin.

I had heard awhile back that Bombay was coming out with a new Gin but have yet to see it on the shelves.
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Sutherland:
quote:
Originally posted by PD2K:
quote:
Originally posted by NewOrleansWinosaur:
Rum season--

Did a tasting through Ron Abuelo 7, 12, and Centenario (base rum solera-style is 30 yr.) as well as El Dorado, 12, 15, 21. I must say the most balanced was Ron Abuelo 12. It had pretty much everything I look for in a good sipping rum. Even beat out the Centenario.

If you like those, try Zacapa's 23 and XO

+++++1

I have had the Zacapa 23 but not for quite a while. I obviously need to revisit. Thanks for the reminder! Never had the XO. Might hold on that one for hot buttered rum season.
quote:
Originally posted by Lentini:
I usually wet my glass with vermouth then pour it out... Then just Hendricks sans olives. But I added a little fresh lemon juice instead last time, and that was refreshing.

Why even taint good gin with Vermouth? I order Tanqueray or Bombay Sapphire up with olives. No Vermouth.
As I understand it, the original martini was 1 part sweet vermouth to three parts gin. That's a lot of vermouth.

A dry martini used dry vermouth instead of sweet, in the same proportions.

So what most people drink today isn't a martini. They're just drinking an ice cold glass of gin with an olive. Same thing, of course, with a vodka martini (which isn't really a martini any more than an "appletini" is, or any of the chocolate martinis or other flavors you find on some martini lists).
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
I agree. Why was it even used in a Martini? Confused Did the person who invented this drink think it was better with Vermouth? I guess so.

Perhaps it was because the quality of the Gin wasnt that good so the vermouth would take the "sting" out....I honestly dont know...but I have Vermouth in the house for people that want it...but it never enters the glass if there is Gin in it for me.
quote:
Many years ago, at a friend's wedding, the gin was something like Hankey Bannister. It was the worst gin I've ever had. Vermouth likely would have helped it. It couldn't have hurt.

Is that like Jenkins? 8$ for 1.75L....oh those were the days.....
quote:
By far my favorite Gin.

I agree. Mine too. I've experimented with some smaller and/or local products, and I've been disappointed. Breuckelen (recommended in this forum) and FEW (from Evanston, my hometown) weren't pleasing to me. At all. North Shore Distillery No. 11 is good though (and great with olives).

Any other worth-trying gins out there?
quote:
I had heard awhile back that Bombay was coming out with a new Gin but have yet to see it on the shelves.

Would that be the Bombay East? I actually just read about it, and it said it would be released this summer but then when I did a quick search it looks like it's already available in some stores, so it's probably not released in all markets yet
Isle of Skye 8yr ? That must be a Talisker from an independant bottler, i guess? I imagine the peat to be very pungent at only 8yr.

Meanwhile sipping a Lagavulin Distillers Edition 1989/2005 matured in Pedro-Ximenez Cask, great combination, the PX is the right counterpoint to the mighty Lagavulin body.
quote:
I agree. Why was it even used in a Martini? Confused Did the person who invented this drink think it was better with Vermouth? I guess so.

Curious to me to see no one defending vermouth's place in a Martini. I think 4 or 5 parts gin to one part vermouth is quite lovely and what a true Martini is. Otherwise it's just ice cold gin, which I sometimes don't mind either.

...and while I like Hendricks for a change and in certain mixed drinks, it is definitely a "modern" gin. I don't taste any juniper in it, which unless I am mistaken was considered integral to gin up until rather recently.

My favorite gins are juniper heavy such as Tanqueray, Junipero, Broker's, and such, things of beauty they are.
quote:
quote:

Perhaps it was because the quality of the Gin wasnt that good so the vermouth would take the "sting" out....I honestly dont know...but I have Vermouth in the house for people that want it...but it never enters the glass if there is Gin in it for me.

That would make sense, especially if you were drinking someone's "bathtub gin". Ack
quote:
Originally posted by jesseix:
quote:

Would that be the Bombay East? I actually just read about it, and it said it would be released this summer but then when I did a quick search it looks like it's already available in some stores, so it's probably not released in all markets yet

I think thats it! Have not seen it up here yet...
quote:
quote:
quote:

whereabouts is 'up here'? I found the Bombay East in stock at a shop I buy from in Orange County (not too far away) for $30 for a 1L bottle; I'm not sure how that compares on a national level, but if you're interested and don't want to wait I could try to ship it up to you
quote:
Originally posted by MoselleLuxemburg:
Isle of Skye 8yr ? That must be a Talisker from an independant bottler, i guess? I imagine the peat to be very pungent at only 8yr.

Yeah it's bottled by Ian McCleod (www.ianmcleod.com), but its a blended whiskey. I ask her to bring home a local single malt and this is what I get... I knew I should have tagged along
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

whereabouts is 'up here'? I found the Bombay East in stock at a shop I buy from in Orange County (not too far away) for $30 for a 1L bottle; I'm not sure how that compares on a national level, but if you're interested and don't want to wait I could try to ship it up to you

Very kind! Up here is actually across the country from you LOL....I live in NH. I will inquire at our local liquor store this weekend about it....if they dont seem to think they will get it in I just may take you up on your nice offer. Thanks!
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
Glenorangie 12 Nectar D'Or, aged in Sauternes casks. Really, really nice. The initial attack is kind of sharp, but seconds later this smooths out really nicely and lingers forever.

I've never had this one, but the guy at the store near me has recommended it highly. I guess I'll give it a try. Thanks
When I first became aware of the wine-cask finished Glenmorangies, maybe 12 or so years ago, they were amongst the first Scotch I ever tried and they seemed quite nice. Since then they seem to be everywhere. I believe that there was an ownership change and drastic production increase IIRC. I suppose my own tastes changed as well, having a much larger sample size, but the current lines always seem serviceable but nothing special at all.
If you get a chance, taste the Nectar D'Or alongside some of the other cask-finished Glenmorangies. I recently tasted it side by side with Quinta Ruban (port casks) and Lasanta (sherry casks). Nectar D'Or was my fave, but the fun part was tasting the distinctive influence from each type of cask.
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
If you get a chance, taste the Nectar D'Or alongside some of the other cask-finished Glenmorangies. I recently tasted it side by side with Quinta Ruban (port casks) and Lasanta (sherry casks). Nectar D'Or was my fave, but the fun part was tasting the distinctive influence from each type of cask.

A friend gifted me a bottle of the Quinta Ruban in late October last year. It was gone before spring!
I bought a bottle of Courvoisier XO at the duty free a couple days ago, and tried it last night. It's rich and strongly flavoured, but doesn't have the lightness and breathless impact of Remy Martin or Hennessey XO, both of which I prefer to this. I think someone who is starting, or wanting, to get into good Cognac might enjoy this-- easy to drink, flavourful, very smooth.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by mneeley490:
Dalwhinne 1981 Double Casked.

I haven't seen that one. Is that the green label? If so, I have seen it. What's it cost? Worth the money? I like the 15.

Yes, it is the greenish/blueish/grayish label. And my mistake, it says, "Double Matured", not casked. I think I bought it about 20 years ago in Vancouver, so I don't remember exactly what I paid for it, but it is worth the extra, imo. I don't think it was that much more than the 15. It is of the same style, but with a more intense flavor. I have about 2 shots left. 1981 happens to be my wedding anniversary.
Last Saturday, I presented my daughter with a 1990 that I picked up in Scottsdale a few years back. That is her birth year, so she can add it to her '90 wine collection.
I'm thinking of getting some rum. I know nothing about it. Some for sipping and some for dark and stormys. For dark and stormys I've been told the selection is not very important. Will probably go for goslings or sailor jerry.

For sipping I was going to look for Ron Abuelo 12.

Based strictly on unsubstantiated internet searches I may get these if the Abuelo is unavailable: Zafra 21 or Cruzan Single Barrel.
quote:
Originally posted by kingofcool:
I'm thinking of getting some rum. I know nothing about it. Some for sipping and some for dark and stormys. For dark and stormys I've been told the selection is not very important. Will probably go for goslings or sailor jerry.

For sipping I was going to look for Ron Abuelo 12.

Based strictly on unsubstantiated internet searches I may get these if the Abuelo is unavailable: Zafra 21 or Cruzan Single Barrel.

For Dark and Stormy's the selection is incredibly important. Thankfully you already mentioned the rum you need to have which is of course Goslings.

For sipping rum, I like Ron Zacapa though the three you mentioned are all good.
quote:
Dark and Stormy was fantastic despite the not so great ginger beer (Reeds - way too tame). The abuelo was good but had an interesting finish. For lack of a better description, it was watery. But maybe I just need to revisit.

I loved the Abuelo 12, but I imagine it gets lost in a D&S. You really need a dark, dark rum for the proper drink. Gosling's or Myers's. A mixture of anything else would likely be labeled a "dock-sipper" instead. Abuelo 12 for me is best neat.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by TPEwinedrinker:
Suntory 17 yr Hibiki
Macallan 18 yr Fine Oak
Gordon & MacPhail Rosebank Distillery 1991
Lagavulin 16 yr
Caol Ila 10 yr
Ardbeg Uigeadail

Very nice selection, especially the Hibiki and Uigedail.
How was the G&M Rosebank? Worth seeking out?

thank you very much MoselleLuxembourg. I honestly think the Hibiki is one of the most underrated whiskeys out there. For me, anything from the Rosebank Distillery is a treat, and the G&M was a fantastic expression. Would love to sip some scotch with you sometime. Cheers!
quote:
Originally posted by AML:
They certainly do! I read multiple reports of it being "better" than the 16, so I decided to give it a whirl. Oddly enough, it is actually more expensive than the 16 here.

+1 I have a bottle of it at home. It's supposed to be better than the regular bottling but I"ve never had them side by side.
quote:
Originally posted by Merengue:

How was it AML? The 16 is my favorite single malt.

It is rather boisterous, with big peat and smoke notes that overlay a nice base of honey and spice. Similar notes on the palate, with a long saline finish. Quite delicious, but I think I prefer the slightly more subdued 16.
quote:
Originally posted by aphilla:
quote:
quote:
Ardbeg Uigeadail

How was this?

It was good, but pretty clearly overshadowed by the other two. By *comparison* it was soft and muted.

That's a surprising assessment. I like the Laphroaig Quarter Cask a lot, much more than the standard version, but in my memory it does not come close to the Ardbeg in peaty intensity. I'll have to do the test.
Vin, if you get the chance toi get out into the Highlands, the town of Tomintoul is home to The Whiskey Castle with 500+ single malts. I found a few rarities that I brought home. I have 2 I still haven't opened, waiting for my experience to expand to give me a better idea of how special they are.
Opened up a couple I had brought back from Taiwan on my most recent trip back:
Suntory Hakushu 12- a grassy and peaty element that I have NEVER found in a Japanese whiskey- EXCELLENT!
Bruichladdich Octomore- my least favorite of the night

Also drank the following:
Connemara 12- my favorite Irish whiskey
Ardbeg Supernova- one of my top 3 of any whiskey... Just layers and layers and layers and layers of smoke and peat
Charbay Whiskey II- this is a super small production from a Napa distillery- these guys brought their A game. I mean, it is REALLY, REALLY good... A flavor profile that is so sophisticated. Really worth spending the money on if you can track it down.
quote:
quote:
Glengoyne Tokay Cask 1996/2008 special edition
Convalmore 28yr, cask strength 57.9% vol, 1977/2005 limited edition

There seems to be a nice selection of SMWs available in Luxemburg.

There sure is, the Glengoyne is from a little shop in Mainz(Germany) though, whose owner is a Glengoyne and Auchentoshan fanatic.
I have a wager with a very good friend of mine that is a life-long Saints fan.

My wager: the Saints will not be above .500 by the end of the season.

If I win, he has to buy me a bottle of tequila (up to $500 in value). If he wins, I have to open a couple of "nice" bottles of Cab, his preferred varietal.

Any suggestions on the tequila I am going to win? Woot
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:
Originally posted by Wine doc:
Ty Ku Sake Black Junmai Ginjo, served with a sushi lunch. Really good stuff.

Agreed, I love this stuff. That said, I think they're still fermenting it as opposed to distilling. Wink

PH

On the menu, they also featured the more exclusive Ty Ku Sake White Junmai Dainginjo.
I was intrigued, but at $150 for a 375 ml bottle, I could not pull that trigger for lunch!
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
A little chill in the air tonight. Macallan 18 on tap. Tis the season.....

PH
I'm looking forward to the weather cooling down a bit. It has probably been the warmest summer I can remember in Socal this year. We usually have a handful of over 90 days in the summer, but this year has been nonstop. Due to the warm weather, I have been enjoying a lot of negroni’s and aperol spritz this summer. Pretending to be on the coast in Italy. Smile
We've had an unusually hot summer here as well. This past few weeks, I haven't had to use any climate control at all. Daytime highs from high 60s to mid 70s. Nightime from 50s to 60s. I open the windows for the day, and shut them in time to capture the warmth for the evening. AM wakeup, it's usually mid to upper 60s in the house. Perfect. I wish it was like this 365.

PH
Had a good friend over the weekend come over and he's never had any Pappy so we had the Van Winkle 10/90, Pappy 15, Pappy 20.

Dude can drink so then he had some Hirsch Canadian Cask Strength, Dalmore 12, and some William Larue Weller and Thomas Handy Rye.

He liked: Pappy 20, Handy, and then the Weller

I think I preferred the Weller, Pappy 15, 20, and Thomas Handy.

Still hoping to get some Stagg this year.
These were all single pours at bars.

EH Taylor was harsh and is overpriced.

Jefferson's is outstanding for the money, right around $30 for a 750ml I believe.

Thomas H Handy was nice and worth the money but unfortunately hard to find at retail.

Hirsch was very interesting. Very pale in color as they do not add coloring. Shows the oak but with great balance, beautifully spicy.
quote:
Originally posted by vinoevelo:
quote:
Originally posted by NolanE:
Angostura 1919 Rum

WOW. The nose here is unreal.

love that stuff. went through an inordinate amount this past summer.

I'm not a big rum drinker; got burned out on the stuff during a vacation on St. Thomas, VI many years ago.
But would you recommend this as a gift to a friend who still enjoys it?
Whisky tasting at a local shop:
Couvreur "Overaged", very basic pure malt, unpeated, clean and well crafted
Couvreur "Candid", only 6yr old, yet very rounded, matured in PX cask
Couvreur "Blossoming Auld Sherried", best of the tasting, 15yr old matured in PX, marvelously balanced, beautiful sherry note.
Uberach (from Alsace, aged in Banyuls cask), a big surprise, very delicate, well crafted.
Bunnahabhain Toiteach un-chillfiltered (slightly more peated than the usual Bunnahabhain, still very subtle), not exactly cheap, but still my QPR favourite of the tasting.

Took home a bottle of Bunnahabhain Toiteach and Couvreur Blossoming Auld Sherried
quote:
Glenfiddich 15 is nice. I have a gift pack with 12, 15, and 18 in it. I think I'll have to try all of them side-by-side.

Good idea to try them all side by side vs. saving for one at a time. I once did that with all the Remy's from their basic Cognac through to the Louis X111, all from full bottles so we has some left over for later. The difference was clear as we moved though the progression.

Enjoy your your whiskey tasting!

Add Reply

Likes (0)