quote:
Originally posted by Red guy in a blue state:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
Tasted Macallan 12, 15, 17 & 25 today at a tasting.

Any favorites? I will be enjoying an 18 later this evening.

Please know, I'm no expert.

I liked the flavor of the 17 and the smoothness of the 25.
quote:
Originally posted by kingofcool:
Need a sub $50 single malt. I believe macallean 10 is in that price range but would like to try something new. Any recs?

Dalmore 12 - tasty and a cool bottle.
Glenmorangie 12 Quinta Ruban if you likd a little sweetness. This one is aged in port barrels.
quote:
Need a sub $50 single malt. I believe macallean 10 is in that price range but would like to try something new. Any recs?

Recently tried Ardbeg 10, which should be in this price range. I've intro'd it to a few friends and everyone has come back with rave reviews.
quote:
Originally posted by Nixster2:
quote:

Recently tried Ardbeg 10, which should be in this price range. I've intro'd it to a few friends and everyone has come back with rave reviews.

+1
quote:

I like the Strathisla 12. It is not a peaty style at all. Lots of honey and some spice. Perfect for the holidays, says I. $40-ish in Chicago.
quote:
Originally posted by Armani Widowmaker:
quote:
Originally posted by Jcocktosten:
Hendrick's Gin with St. Germaine Tonic

Sounds awesome. What's St. Germaine Tonic? Do you combine the two or is it an off-the-shelf product?

St Germain is a elderflower liquor by itself that retails under 40usd. For the lack of better description, it has a honey-lychee flavor that puts Soho to shame, but more sweet, more floral, and more complex. It is well known for versatility with cognac, rum, Hendrick's gin etc etc.., but I usually drink it just on the rocks.
quote:
Originally posted by wineismylife:
Ocean vodka. Made in Maui. USDA organic certified. Interesting vodka. Has a bit of an ocean breeze kind of a nose. Palate is fairly light in style. Just a bit of a hot finish.

It's the first time read "ocean breeze" in a Vodka, sounds very interesting.
quote:
Originally posted by mneeley490:
I missed the announcement of the sale for Dry Fly Bourbon this week. Frown There were only 124 bottles available for sale at one state liquor store, and people were lined up the night before.
This is the first batch of the first bourbon made in WA state since Prohibition. If anyone has tried it, I'd like to know what your impression was.

Managed to find a bottle at last, halfway across the country. I have some friends getting together in a couple weeks and will pop it then. Will let you know. I guess it will be 3 years until the next batch is sold. Smile
quote:
Originally posted by MoselleLuxemburg:
quote:
Originally posted by TheEngineer:
got a few opened right now

- Port Ellen, 1982 Connos. Choice
- Ardbeg Alligator

Sounds great. How was that Ardbeg Alligator?

I always love Port Ellen. This bottle is certainly very good but not as good as the annual Diaego bottles. the last one I had was the 9th release and that was something pretty special. 11th is a bit more expensive still (they skipped the 10th release in the US).

As for the Alligator, this must be my fav Ardbeg now. 10 YO is my go to drink but this is about double the cost and well worth it unfortunately. Very well made and well judged.
quote:
quote:
quote:
got a few opened right now

- Port Ellen, 1982 Connos. Choice
- Ardbeg Alligator

Sounds great. How was that Ardbeg Alligator?

I always love Port Ellen. This bottle is certainly very good but not as good as the annual Diaego bottles. the last one I had was the 9th release and that was something pretty special. 11th is a bit more expensive still (they skipped the 10th release in the US).

As for the Alligator, this must be my fav Ardbeg now. 10 YO is my go to drink but this is about double the cost and well worth it unfortunately. Very well made and well judged.

Thanks. I agree on the 10y, it's one of my favourite basic single-malts. Silly me passed the Alligator when i saw this at a local shop. I think that Ardbeg's special bottlings are well worth the price at some 60-80€, compared to other distilleries releases >150€.
quote:
quote:
Isle of Jura 1966.

What do you think of the long aging? Very complex or too much oak ?

Is that like "double casked"?

I have a bottle of Dalwhinnie Double Casked 1981 and 1990. The '81 is nearly gone, of course.
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:
Macallan 25

Eek Hope someone else was buying! I had a couple fingers of Macallan 25 Sherry Oak late last year. Lovely stuff, but no QPR........ that's for sure.

PH

I was buying including for a friend, but well worth the $$$ I thought. Cool
Bruichladdich's PC6 (or Port Charlotte 6) Thi is my second bottle, had some friends over for dinner......perhaps Jim Murray was a bit more enthusiastic about this and as such, my friends were really looking forward to it ... still a fine dram through and I'm finding that I do like younger and younger whiskys (this one at 6 years old of course). I gotta find a few more of these before they disappear.
My little lime tree has already started producing this year so I took a couple off last night and made my first margarita for the year. Used some Cabo Wabo reposado that I received as a gift. Not my favorite for sipping on its own, but did the job for rita’s.
quote:
Originally posted by davec:
Macallan 12, 15, & 18 year old Scotch. Went to the Macallan tasting in Denver, at The Brown Palace last night. Will need to pick some up in the Caribbean in June.

Well you are coming to DC for the offline in june no?actually the Montgomery county stores just outside DC (i have one behind my house) have a pretty good selection of single malts including Macallan at fairly decent prices. What do you want? I can drop them off at Jace's and we can trade them for some wine???
quote:
Originally posted by Merengue:
Well you are coming to DC for the offline in june no?actually the Montgomery county stores just outside DC (i have one behind my house) have a pretty good selection of single malts including Macallan at fairly decent prices. What do you want? I can drop them off at Jace's and we can trade them for some wine???

There's a little store in Marigot, St Martin, that has over 150 Scotches, and they sell about 1/2 US price. We tend to get Port wine barrel aged Scotch. Louis XIII is about $750-850. (Not that we buy any.) Balvanie Portwood about $60. We're headed there from DC, so we'd be taking everything with us. We'll bring a few wines per off-line, and a few more for beach consumption. They have good Bordeaux in St Martin, but it's more $$ than in the US.

What type of wine would you want to trade for? We drink about 50:1, or maybe 100:1, vs Scotch, so we don't need much Scotch. Tequila is much different, more like 20:1. Is there some wine you think we have that you want us to bring? We'll probably have a few open slots if we bring a case.
quote:
Originally posted by Armani Widowmaker:
GlenDronach 15 year old "Revival" with 1 teaspoon water. Almost white wine-like in part. Very sherry-ed. Great.

Sounds mouthwatering. Is this a newly relesed sherry version, back to the roots? Never understood why they switched partially to bourbon-oak in the first place. (Same for Macallan)
...at the moment:

Cognac
- Tesseron Lot #53, XO Perfection
- Tesseron Lot #76, XO Tradition

Armagnac
- Francis Darroze Bas Armagnac Les Grands Assemblages
- Tariquet Bas Armagnac XO

Whisky
- Laphroaig 12y
- Laphroaig 18y
- Caol Ila 12y
- Macallan Fine Oak 12y
- Macallan Fine Oak 18y
- Macallan Cask Strenght
- Macallan Amber (sweet)

Vodka
- Xellent Swiss Vodka

Gin
- Monkey 47 Distillers Cut (what a nose!!!)
quote:
Originally posted by Spiritus:
...at the moment:

Cognac

Armagnac

Whisky
- Laphroaig 12y
- Laphroaig 18y
- Caol Ila 12y
- Macallan Fine Oak 12y
- Macallan Fine Oak 18y
- Macallan Cask Strenght
- Macallan Amber (sweet)

Vodka
- Xellent Swiss Vodka

Gin

Your nick seems well chosen, Spiritus Smile ,very nice selection, which was your favourite?
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Spiritus:
...at the moment:

Cognac

Armagnac

Whisky
- Laphroaig 12y
- Laphroaig 18y
- Caol Ila 12y
- Macallan Fine Oak 12y
- Macallan Fine Oak 18y
- Macallan Cask Strenght
- Macallan Amber (sweet)

Vodka
- Xellent Swiss Vodka

Gin

Your nick seems well chosen, Spiritus Smile ,very nice selection, which was your favourite?

My nick hasn't to do with spirits, even when it looks like Wink

My favourites at the moment:
=> Tesseron Lot #53, XO Perfection (incredible good, but - unfortunately - expensive)
=> Laphroaig 18y (I love Islay!!!)
=> Monkey 47 Distillers Cut (best Gin I ever had)
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
quote:
Originally posted by Gigond Ass:
Bunnahabhain 18

GA, what are your thoughts on that? I have the 12 and the 18 and don't think I'll ever buy the 18 again. I prefer cheaper Lagavulin 16 to the Bunnahabhain 18.
Apples and oranges IMHO. The Bunnahabhain is one of the lightest Islay malts I've ever had when it comes to that peaty flavor. I thought it was very smooth in comparison to the Lagavulin, the Laphroag, or a number of Adbergs I've had. Reminds me more of a Highland malt actually.

I like it. Not sure if I like it more than the classic Islay malts, but I think it's a good dram.
I know that some people complain about the price 115-120 GBP and and the outragious packaging... but frankly I find it a more than acceptable bottling. I like HP and this one did not disappoint at 52.1% and quite a finish. If people had an expectation that this is HP 30 Y.O., then that is wrong. Nothing that amazing but it is much lower in price

When I finish this bottle, I will definitely get another one. I guess that is one way to see if I liked it. 20,000 bottles so not as limited as some would note.
quote:
Originally posted by BRR:
A nip or two of Aberlour A'bunadh cut with a little H20. Pretty good, but not amazing. I'm finding that I really don't prefer cask strength Scotch.

Water doesn't work well with the Aberlour A'bunadh, imho, because it is a very sherried kind of Malt. The water quickly kills the sherry aroma and leaves a burnt impression. I know it,s a hard experience, but my recommendation is: drink it neat. Sip a few drops only and leave them in your mouth, letting the saliva add the necessary drops of water. Sounds odd, but i think that's the best way to enjoy this particular malt. Give it a try.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by BRR:
A nip or two of Aberlour A'bunadh cut with a little H20. Pretty good, but not amazing. I'm finding that I really don't prefer cask strength Scotch.

Water doesn't work well with the Aberlour A'bunadh, imho, because it is a very sherried kind of Malt. The water quickly kills the sherry aroma and leaves a burnt impression. I know it,s a hard experience, but my recommendation is: drink it neat. Sip a few drops only and leave them in your mouth, letting the saliva add the necessary drops of water. Sounds odd, but i think that's the best way to enjoy this particular malt. Give it a try.

Excellent! Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try (it'll be a real tough assignment Big Grin).
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Sutherland:
Hart Brothers - Mortlach 11 Year-Old Speyside

How is it? I have a bottle of Mortlach 14 I brought back from Scotland and I'm waiting to open it until I have a broader single malt experience.

I'm not an expert Single Malt taster and tend to veer away from the overly peaty and overly light flowery perfumed sides of the spectrum so this was a hit down the middle with me. There was a sweet, grainy, maltiness to it which I really enjoyed. I would say it was a very easy single malt to like.
quote:
Originally posted by Vino Bevo:
quote:
Originally posted by aphilla:
Had a flight of single malts tonight, all >15 years: balvenie, dalwinnie, highland park, and lagavulin.

Add Glenrothes and Aberfeldy to that list and you've got all my favorites - nicely done!

We have a team retreat in Scotland in August. One of our activities will be to learn the differences between the various SM regions. I'm doing some homework in advance.
quote:
quote:
Had a flight of single malts tonight, all >15 years: balvenie, dalwinnie, highland park, and lagavulin.

Care to comment on these?

Sure. The highland park was pretty special - I think it was an 18 yr. If I were trying to describe it the way I'd describe a wine I'd call attention to the explosive aromas from the nose but it didn't get all up in your head when you sniffed it if you know what I mean. And it was at the same time very rough (flavorwise) and ver smooth (sensewise) on the palate. Dalwinnie was clearly light compared to the others - in the glass and on the palate, but beautiful, maybe even elegant. Lagavulin is always a favorite, typical Islay. The Balvenie seemed kind of ordinary by comparison, but was still good.
quote:
quote:
quote:

Add Glenrothes and Aberfeldy to that list and you've got all my favorites - nicely done!

We have a team retreat in Scotland in August. One of our activities will be to learn the differences between the various SM regions. I'm doing some homework in advance.

That sounds fantastic, dont miss out visiting some distilleries.
If you are seeking a special experience, i recommend a stay in the Cragellachie Hotel with it's famous Whisky Bar (and a vey very good Restaurant too). Have a walk outside at night and you'll see MacAllan up the hill. Smile
Some real nice distillery visits are: Oban (look for a stay in the Oban Manor House Hotel with it's memorable Restsurant) , Highland Park, Aberfeldy, Cardhu. (i've not visited islay yet)
If you want to see some kind of magical place, visit Orkney Islands (home of Highland Park and Scapa) and the isle of skye (home of Talisker), look out for the Flodigarry Country House Hotel on the north-eastern edge of the isle of skye.
quote:
Hey, don't miss The Whiskey Castle in Tomintoul. Mike has over 500 single malts in stock and many of them are rare private bottlings that you won't see anywhere else.

Can't beat Quaich Bar @ Craigellachie Hotel with 750+ single malts Wink That was the most expensive Hotel bill i ever had... somewhere in the middle of the night we started tasting Whiskys recommended by the barman. MEMORABLE!
The Craigellachie Hotel was recommended to us, possibly by you, but for our purposes and plans, we chose a small inn in Kingussie, not far from the Ruthven Barracks. It was an ideal location for a central base for our travels. When we return, we're considering staying on the Isle of Skye.
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

That sounds fantastic, dont miss out visiting some distilleries.
If you are seeking a special experience, i recommend a stay in the Cragellachie Hotel with it's famous Whisky Bar (and a vey very good Restaurant too). Have a walk outside at night and you'll see MacAllan up the hill. Smile
Some real nice distillery visits are: Oban (look for a stay in the Oban Manor House Hotel with it's memorable Restsurant) , Highland Park, Aberfeldy, Cardhu. (i've not visited islay yet)
If you want to see some kind of magical place, visit Orkney Islands (home of Highland Park and Scapa) and the isle of skye (home of Talisker), look out for the Flodigarry Country House Hotel on the north-eastern edge of the isle of skye.

I've been to Scotland on vacation and it's probably the only place I'd choose to return to in the UK for a vacation. And I've been to Edinburgh for work. We visited Skye on vacation and I think if I went back I'd prolly try to stay there. It's pretty special, isn't it?

This trip will be "work." We're staying in Cairngorm. I imagine we'll do some distillery visits while there. And certainly some comparative tastings will happen. My colleague who lives in Edinburgh will line up some nice stuff I'm sure.
quote:
Question for you rum drinkers. I have a bottle of Appleton Estate 21. What do you think of it?

It's very nice. Lots of orange peel. Almost deep caramelly marmalade (as in smells sweet but tastes almost bitter) and Christmas spice (cinnamon, clove, nutmeg). I remember it being quite oaky with little to no sweetness.

I didn't replace my bottle of it, but I did like it.
quote:
Originally posted by NewOrleansWinosaur:
Rum season--

Did a tasting through Ron Abuelo 7, 12, and Centenario (base rum solera-style is 30 yr.) as well as El Dorado, 12, 15, 21. I must say the most balanced was Ron Abuelo 12. It had pretty much everything I look for in a good sipping rum. Even beat out the Centenario.

I like the El Dorado 12 - Will look for the Ron Abuelo
quote:
Rum season--

Did a tasting through Ron Abuelo 7, 12, and Centenario (base rum solera-style is 30 yr.) as well as El Dorado, 12, 15, 21. I must say the most balanced was Ron Abuelo 12. It had pretty much everything I look for in a good sipping rum. Even beat out the Centenario.

If you like those, try Zacapa's 23 and XO
quote:
Originally posted by PD2K:
quote:
Rum season--

If you like those, try Zacapa's 23 and XO

+++++1

Add Reply

Likes (0)