redfreak posted:

Forteleza reposada - one cube - sooooo nice!

finally available in FL

Fortaleza Anejo is my favorite tequila.  Though I did stumble upon a new one called Don Abraham extra anejo.  Pretty dang good.  A bit tougher to find though than the Fortaleza though...at least the extra anejo was.  

Tasted some Old Forester Bourbons at the club:

1870 Original Batch
1897 Bottled in Bond
1910 Old Fine Whiskey
1920 Prohibition Style
The President's Choice

The President's Choice is a really nice sipper, and the 1910 was excellent in an Old Fashioned.  This was an interesting stylistic lineup - I'd never had Old Forester before. 

Glad to see some posts on this thread after a 2 month pause.  Some things I've bought and tried recently that were new and interesting.

Elijah Craig Barrel Proof Batch B518 (66.7%)

Knob Creek Cask Strength Rye (59.8%)

Weller Special Reserve

Oban Little Bay ($26 at Costco!)

Scored the 2018 releases of High West Midwinter's Night Dram and Thomas H Handy Rye that I am looking forward to.

jcocktosten posted:
purplehaze posted:
jcocktosten posted:

Oban 14 - toast last night in memory of my mom

Sorry to hear, jc.  My condolences.  

PH

Thanks. Not sure what tonight's toasting will be with. Funeral was today. Been a long day

My condolences. Losing a parent is never easy at any age.

mimik posted:
jcocktosten posted:
purplehaze posted:
jcocktosten posted:

Oban 14 - toast last night in memory of my mom

Sorry to hear, jc.  My condolences.  

PH

Thanks. Not sure what tonight's toasting will be with. Funeral was today. Been a long day

My condolences. Losing a parent is never easy at any age.

Thanks - been about 4 months now.

vinole posted:

El Dorado 12 while listening to classic Christmas songs performed on steel drum on the patio with temps in the low 70's.  Merry Christmas Mon!

Lots of Appleton and Red Stripe while listening to reggae Christmas songs on the beach in Jamaica. Christmas in the Caribbean, we’ve got everything but snow. 

thelostverse posted:
vinole posted:

El Dorado 12 while listening to classic Christmas songs performed on steel drum on the patio with temps in the low 70's.  Merry Christmas Mon!

Lots of Appleton and Red Stripe while listening to reggae Christmas songs on the beach in Jamaica. Christmas in the Caribbean, we’ve got everything but snow. 

Ya feelin IRIE mon. Jah provides.

thistlintom posted:
azwiese posted:

It'd been a while, but I got back to drinking some Eagle Rare 10yr, both neat and in an old fashioned.  Easily my go to bourbon for less than 40$.  That and Old Bardstown Estate.  

Where do you get Eagle Rare?  Hard to get out West.

Eagle Rare is pretty readily available in SD.  My most recent bottle was purchased at Costco. It's also available at Vons and BevMo here.  And to clarify, it's their basic bottling, not their fancy 17 year old which I've never encountered.  

redfreak posted:

Hey now - That Oban sounds really nice!

did it have an age statement?

I’m not familiar with at Oban.

It's their 14-year bottling but it's aged an additional 6-18 months in Montilla Fino sherry butts.  The 1991 vintage was released in 2005. I bought it when we visited Oban in 2006, I believe, but only recently opened the bottle for the first time.

wineismylife posted:

Don Julio 1942 Anejo Tequila.  A 15 year old bottle I brought back from Cabo when I was there in 2004.  Pretty freaking amazing.

I saw a few tall, slim bottles of this in Puerto Vallarta last week. Didn't have an opportunity to taste it, so I wasn't sure if it was worth the $108 US price tag.

thelostverse posted:
wineismylife posted:

Don Julio 1942 Anejo Tequila.  A 15 year old bottle I brought back from Cabo when I was there in 2004.  Pretty freaking amazing.

I love this stuff.  Expensive, but well worth the money in my opinion.

It sells for $130/bottle in my area; however, I've found it at Total Wine for $99.

When you consider what a 1.5-ounce pour sells for at restaurants/bars, it is a tremendous bargain.

haggis posted:

I mostly drink single malts, such as Lagavulin 18, Talisker 18.  I have been enjoying some Yamazaki. 

Otherwise, I am liking Dingle gin.  It's a good sipping gin, and is really nice with a splash or two of Fever Tree tonic water.

I recently discovered Fever Tree. It's the only brand I buy now.

wineismylife posted:

I've been sitting on a bottle of this for about 10 years.   How do you drink it?  Neat?  With ice and a slice of lime?

Having a gin & tonic, with Fever Tree and what's left of my Tanqueray after my 29 year-old daughter raided it yesterday. She says her millennial friends flip her chit about drinking gin, because it's an "old person's drink".  She says, "Fine, more for me."  

mneeley490 posted:

Having a gin & tonic, with Fever Tree and what's left of my Tanqueray after my 29 year-old daughter raided it yesterday. She says her millennial friends flip her chit about drinking gin, because it's an "old person's drink".  She says, "Fine, more for me."  

Fantastic! 

Rothko posted:
wineismylife posted:

I've been sitting on a bottle of this for about 10 years.   How do you drink it?  Neat?  With ice and a slice of lime?

Neat.  Definitely.  Especially with that much age on it.

haggis posted:
doubled posted:

I’ve been trying a variety of gins from Scotland with the appropriate tonic - citrus, peppery, piney, or rosemary. Really excellent stuff.

Which ones in particular are you enjoying?

Hills and Harbor Gin - paired with a cucumber and mint tonic gave you a forest floor and sea spray notes.

Misty Isle - paired with a grapefruit tonic made a very refreshing drink.

Isle of Arran - paired with Mediterranean tonic had a more saltier finish than the Hills and Harbor gin.  Kinda like a fresh oyster liqueur.

doubled posted:
haggis posted:
doubled posted:

I’ve been trying a variety of gins from Scotland with the appropriate tonic - citrus, peppery, piney, or rosemary. Really excellent stuff.

Which ones in particular are you enjoying?

Hills and Harbor Gin - paired with a cucumber and mint tonic gave you a forest floor and sea spray notes.

Misty Isle - paired with a grapefruit tonic made a very refreshing drink.

Isle of Arran - paired with Mediterranean tonic had a more saltier finish than the Hills and Harbor gin.  Kinda like a fresh oyster liqueur.

That is great!  Thank you.  I must give some of these a try.  I have not tried Mediterranean tonic yet.  I know it's a bit more floral, and less quinine.  Some of the gins I like are already floral, so I assumed that the Mediterranean tonic might "fight" them. But, I can see experimenting with different tonics and gins.  Anyway, much obliged!

wineismylife posted:
Rothko posted:
wineismylife posted:

Neat.  Definitely.  Especially with that much age on it.

Had some last night - neat is the only way for this in my opinion.  What a beauty.

Woodinville Whiskey Co.  Straight 100% Rye Whiskey Finished with Toasted Applewood Staves, 100 proof.

Bought this at the distillery a couple months ago, about 20 minutes from my house. This was a special limited release, and is good stuff. A lot of spice from the WA-grown rye, but a touch of sweet fruitiness from the apple wood gives it a nice counterbalance. 

Did a couple of bourbon tours in Louisville area.  Tastings included

Rabbit Hole- pretty new company making good products

-Two bourbons - Heigold and Cavehill -- both very good

-Rye Whiskey - Boxergrail

-An Aged London Gin - very different taste, less juniper and quite good

Buffalo Trace

-Buffalo Trace Bourbon - pretty good for value

-Eagle Rare Bourbon - very good, good price, hard to find

=White Dog - unaged whiskey - was ok and strong

=Bourbon Cream - like a Baileys, pretty tasty

=Wheatley vodka - pretty smooth

Woodford Reserve

-Woodford Reserve bourbon

-Woodford Reserve Double Oaked bourbon- step above the Reserve

-Rye Whiskey- pretty good and not as hot/peppery as other ryes

All in all the tours were fun and each different.  I liked Rabbit Hole tour the best.

-

thistlintom posted:

Did a couple of bourbon tours in Louisville area.  Tastings included

Rabbit Hole- pretty new company making good products

-Two bourbons - Heigold and Cavehill -- both very good

-Rye Whiskey - Boxergrail

-An Aged London Gin - very different taste, less juniper and quite good

Buffalo Trace

-Buffalo Trace Bourbon - pretty good for value

-Eagle Trace Bourbon - very good, good price, hard to find

=White Dog - unaged whiskey - was ok and strong

=Bourbon Cream - like a Baileys, pretty tasty

=Wheatley vodka - pretty smooth

Woodford Reserve

-Woodford Reserve bourbon

-Woodford Reserve Double Oaked bourbon- step above the Reserve

-Rye Whiskey- pretty good and not as hot/peppery as other ryes

All in all the tours were fun and each different.  I liked Rabbit Hole tour the best.

-

Good to know. My friend and I are going there next week. Rabbit Hole is on the list for Louisville.  We plan to roam around town the first day, and then later renting a car and head down toward Bardstown, hitting some places on the way. The guided tours I looked at charged more for one ticket, than the car cost for 3 days.

I don't know that you need a guided tour.  You don't drink all that much bourbon at the tastings themselves and if you do tours of the facilities, then there will be gaps between tastings that should help avoid getting too much to drink.  However, if you have drinks after the tastings, that may change things.

Note that some tours require reservations, such as with Rabbit Hole and I think Buffalo Trace.

thistlintom posted:

I don't know that you need a guided tour.  You don't drink all that much bourbon at the tastings themselves and if you do tours of the facilities, then there will be gaps between tastings that should help avoid getting too much to drink.  However, if you have drinks after the tastings, that may change things.

Note that some tours require reservations, such as with Rabbit Hole and I think Buffalo Trace.

Thanks! Making reservations now.

thistlintom posted:

Buffalo trace you just show up, but you may have to wait.  Worth it though. The property is incredible. 

Just opened my Michter’s 10 year single barrel. Pretty outstanding. 

csm posted:
thistlintom posted:

Buffalo trace you just show up, but you may have to wait.  Worth it though. The property is incredible. 

You may be able to show up at Buffalo Trace, but I’m pretty sure you can get a reservation for a specific time

thistlintom posted:
csm posted:
thistlintom posted:

You may be able to show up at Buffalo Trace, but I’m pretty sure you can get a reservation for a specific time

Was there in June and we couldn’t make a reservation but maybe they just do them for a certain number each day and the rest are for walk ins. 

csm posted:
thistlintom posted:
csm posted:
thistlintom posted:

Was there in June and we couldn’t make a reservation but maybe they just do them for a certain number each day and the rest are for walk ins. 

We literally just walked in the door and went on a tour two minutes later. It was the best tour we did.

As for what distilled beverage were we drinking? Holy cow, I could not even begin to remember them all. 

mneeley490 posted:
csm posted:
thistlintom posted:
csm posted:
thistlintom posted:

We literally just walked in the door and went on a tour two minutes later. It was the best tour we did.

As for what distilled beverage were we drinking? Holy cow, I could not even begin to remember them all. 

Did you like Buffalo Trace or Eagle Rare more?  The double oaked Woodford Reserve was better than the single oaked in my opinion.  Also, I really like the Rabbit Hole products:  The bourbon finished in sherry casks is excellent, their bourbons were very good and I liked the aged gin, it was quite unique.

thistlintom posted:
mneeley490 posted:
csm posted:
thistlintom posted:
csm posted:
thistlintom posted:

Did you like Buffalo Trace or Eagle Rare more?  The double oaked Woodford Reserve was better than the single oaked in my opinion.  Also, I really like the Rabbit Hole products:  The bourbon finished in sherry casks is excellent, their bourbons were very good and I liked the aged gin, it was quite unique.

Eagle Rare, and the double oaked Woodford's Reserve, definitely. The latter was almost like a cognac. Rabbit Hole seemed to be very popular among the millennials we were with, and the facility is no doubt state of the art. But I'm afraid I found their offerings a bit on the coarse side for my taste; perhaps they need more age before bottling. The gin was also a bit too unique for me.  I did try a mixed drink there that was very interesting, called All Rabbits Go To Heaven. It included Rabbit Hole Rye, pear brandy, carrot, yellow chartreuse, and lemon. It grows on you.

thistlintom posted:
jcocktosten posted:

Dewars.  Was best available option at happy hour yesterday

I'm trying to decide if I should be sorry for you or feel happy for you.  On the one hand you were at happy hour, on the other hand you were drinking Dewars.

On this, we agree.  

PH

purplehaze posted:
thistlintom posted:
jcocktosten posted:

Dewars.  Was best available option at happy hour yesterday

I'm trying to decide if I should be sorry for you or feel happy for you.  On the one hand you were at happy hour, on the other hand you were drinking Dewars.

On this, we agree.  

PH

We all agree - it was that, Jim Beam or bad wine

thistlintom posted:

Woodford Double Barrel Bourbon, very nice.

My friend and I had this at the distillery recently. Easily our favorite of the lineup.  Also, Woodford Reserve is located among some of the most absolutely gorgeous horse pastures I've ever seen. (I always thought the "Reserve" alluded to the bottling, but it is rather the land that the distillery occupies.)

Has anyone had the Kirkland anejo tequila? The value on this is ridiculous. I won’t claim to be an expert on tequila, but I’ve been a fan of Fortaleza anejo, Don Abraham extra anejo, and definitely a fan of Don Julio 1942...but for 20$ for a 1L bottle, the Kirkland is impossible to beat for value. It’s delicious. A stand alone sipper. No ice, no lime. Just straight up. Not quite at the same level as those mentioned, but at 70$+ cheaper, I’m okay with that.

azwiese posted:

Has anyone had the Kirkland anejo tequila? The value on this is ridiculous. I won’t claim to be an expert on tequila, but I’ve been a fan of Fortaleza anejo, Don Abraham extra anejo, and definitely a fan of Don Julio 1942...but for 20$ for a 1L bottle, the Kirkland is impossible to beat for value. It’s delicious. A stand alone sipper. No ice, no lime. Just straight up. Not quite at the same level as those mentioned, but at 70$+ cheaper, I’m okay with that.

Agreed

doubled posted:

Had a gin tasting last night - Edinburgh Distillery Rhubarb and Ginger, Edinburgh Distillery Elderberry, Malfy Gin Con Limone, Botanist,  and Uncle Val’s Botanical Gin.

I like the Botanist gin, it has some interesting spices and not so heavy on the juniper.

jcocktosten posted:
azwiese posted:

Agreed

Based on these comments I need to pick a bottle up. Love me some sipping tequila. Thanks guys.

azwiese posted:

I don't drink a lot of tequila, except in April when I'm usually in Mexico. But sort of a "house" tequila for me is Cazadores Anejo. Best price I've seen here is about $36 for a 1L at Costco. I can bring the same bottle back from Mexico in my luggage for $10-$12.  One bottle usually lasts me a year.

csm posted:
robsutherland posted:

Michter's 10 year old

What do you think?  I had 3 bottles and returned 2 as I wasn't a huge fan for the $$$, but would welcome your thoughts. 

Both Christmas presents from my wife. Both disappoint. The Bookers might settle down after being open for a few weeks but the Michter's is fine but Meh. Too much cinnamon for me and not much different than say a Woodford. Not that there's anything wrong with that, just as you say, not for the $$.  

robsutherland posted:
csm posted:
robsutherland posted:

Michter's 10 year old

What do you think?  I had 3 bottles and returned 2 as I wasn't a huge fan for the $$$, but would welcome your thoughts. 

Both Christmas presents from my wife. Both disappoint. The Bookers might settle down after being open for a few weeks but the Michter's is fine but Meh. Too much cinnamon for me and not much different than say a Woodford. Not that there's anything wrong with that, just as you say, not for the $$.  

Re the Michter's, totally thought the same.  Returned and bought 6 bottles of the Weller 107.  As good and significantly cheaper.  

I stumbled upon a new distillery quite by accident today, just a few miles from my house. Never even knew it was there until I saw a write-up in my local paper.

James Bay Distillers, they have an operation here, and one somewhere in the White Rock area of B.C. (Seaquam, you should check them out.) He said they also have permits from the UK to import some Scotch in bulk, and they will be soon doing their own blendings.

The two products available to me today were a Galloping Goose Canadian Whisky, and a Lochside Summer Gin No. 5.  Much to my surprise, the Canadian whiskey was not made of rye, but rather 100% corn, so more like a bourbon than what I know as a Canadian. A bit on the sweet side, 88 proof, with notes of caramel, vanilla, and honey. However, I liked it so much, I bought 2 bottles on the spot along with 1 of the gin. The gin is cold-infused with orange blossoms and other orange-y citrus elements, and although I usually don't care for "flavored" liquor, this was very good as well.  Nothing at all like those other ghastly flavored vodkas, gins and such, so popular with the millennials. 

thistlintom posted:
haggis posted:

Kavalan (a very fine whiskey from Taiwan)

The Botanist (one of my 3 favorite gins; the others being Dingle and Nolet's)

I like the Botanist a lot too.  Haven't see the other two

Dingle is a small production gin from Ireland.  I can get it now here in Ithaca after asking repeatedly.  Like The Botanist, the botanicals are all native to Ireland.  Nolet's is Dutch.  It has a slight hint of rose to it which is a LOT nicer than it sounds!  It was an "oh wow" gin for me when I first had it 2 or 3 yrs ago.

jcocktosten posted:
azwiese posted:

Agreed

We finally got a bottle of this. It really is quite nice, and at the price it’s a stupid crazy value. 

With TPEwinedrinker a few days ago:

Knob Creek rye (from menu)
Van Winkle Special Reserve 12 year Lot B (from menu)
Old Rip Van Winkle 10 year (his bottle)
Old Fitzgerald 6 year Bottled in Bond, Stitzel-Weller distillery (my bottle, barreled in 1950 and bottled in 1956)
ProSys posted:

Old Fitzgerald 6 year Bottled in Bond, Stitzel-Weller distillery (my bottle, barreled in 1950 and bottled in 1956)

Nice - I assume you had a good time

ProSys posted:

So do you think the Van Winkle's are much better than other bourbons?

I had heard that years ago, Buffalo Trace had a hard time selling the Van Winkles but then people discovered them and they shot up in popularity and now they are a prized possession.  

jcocktosten posted:
ProSys posted:

Nice - I assume you had a good time

Had an outstanding time.  1950 Old Fitz S-W aroma is absolutely enchanting, and on the palate is an amazing experience.  TPE has consumed some really unicorn bourbons and ryes in his time, and this definitely impressed him.

https://www.straightbourbon.com/community/uploads/monthly_2020_01/FA25A2B1-E21B-449D-9C4B-8CC2D66B77FA.jpeg.f8fd5aafcb3b84924dc1ce5e98c6b518.jpeg

thistlintom posted:
ProSys posted:

So do you think the Van Winkle's are much better than other bourbons?

I had heard that years ago, Buffalo Trace had a hard time selling the Van Winkles but then people discovered them and they shot up in popularity and now they are a prized possession.  

They’re better, but not commensurate with the multiples higher in price they are on the secondary market.  

Bear in mind that bourbon having any sort of “premium tier” is a fairly recent phenomenon.  Go back to the 80s and prior, and you’d find the top shelf of bourbons didn’t cost significantly more than the bottom shelf.  

New Riff Single Barrel Bourbon

This is a craft distillery in KY that opened in 2014. I'd heard great things about it and finally grabbed one (only $50). It's high proof (about 113) and high rye (30%), so right up my alley. If you appreciate that style, get this while you still can. Was really impressed with it, and has a very rich flavor profile. Unbelievable at the price and only 4 yrs old. Tried the rye also, and had great mouthfeel, but a bit flat and bland for a rye. 

The ‘19 OFBB isn’t as good as previous years IMO.  But the local honey hole I go to with some clients has it priced not much more than the Eagle Rare or Knob Creek tier, so I’m still content to consume it   

The ETL100 was really good, and I could understand why folks have been chasing that one hard.  A bit more expensive than the OFBB, but still less expensive than what a typical place charges for something “premium” like a Macallan 18.  

I was invited to the 10th Anniversary party for Woodinville Whiskey Co. last weekend. I've been a big supporter since they started.

They had 2 new bottlings.  If I remember right, one was a 3-barrel whiskey, started in American white oak, then transferred to a used bourbon barrel for a few months, and finally finished in a used scotch barrel. It definitely picked up the peatiness from the scotch barrel, and tasted like a very good, blended scotch. The second, was their first Barreled in Bond bourbon. Great nose of sweet wood and butterscotch on this one, and a super smooth finish for 100 proof. For an extra few bucks, they laser-etched the label on the front, and added the names of myself and the two friends that accompanied me. This will be a special bottle to pull out when we get back together.  

Did a blind tasting of some mid-range (for whatever that means) bourbons and tasted:

Basil Hayden (consensus least favorite)

Weller Special Reserve (2nd but nose to nose with the Four Roses)

Four Roses Small Batch Select--fairly new bottling from Four Roses, different from their regular Small Batch (1st)

Old Forester Prohibition Style 1920. (3rd)

Finished it off with the Weller 12 year.  I'm a huge fan of the 12 year, but  the Four Roses Small Batch Select isn't too far behind and at 115$+ cheaper (depending on how much you can get the 12 year for), it's quite a nice surprise.  

Add Reply

Likes (0)