quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by mareff:
no cigar but a nice Laphroaig..neat of course.

I always prefer a single drop or even two of water off of an ice cube in my single.

In Scotland, no ice! They'll add a few drops of water though.
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by mareff:
no cigar but a nice Laphroaig..neat of course.

I always prefer a single drop or even two of water off of an ice cube in my single.

In Scotland, no ice! They'll add a few drops of water though.

Completely agree, a drop or two, off of an ice cube, but never ice.
quote:
Btw, w+a, I had a nice discussion about single malts with Olivier Humbrecht this summer. His wife is Scottish and they were about to leave for a vacation in Scotland. He gave the name of a single malt site he frequents.

I hold Olivier in high regard, and would think you would connect with him as well, Board-O.

I thought he was a true Renaissance man, and one of the finest visits to a winery I have ever experienced.
I have a personal preference for the
whiskeys of Ireland. From what I have observed not a whole lot of people have ventured into this venue. I would suggest that you scotch fans give it a try. For everyday drinking I prefer Jamison. For great sipping I strongly suggest Blackbush.
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Tong BBP:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by CRB:
A single malt with 1/2 of a tiny ice cube is perfect and about the same as a couple drops of water and doesn't chill the scotch.

Yes it does. That's ice's defining characteristic.

Post Of The Year.

LOL !! Boardo, thanks for the clarification. Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by I.U. Hoosier:
I have a personal preference for the
whiskeys of Ireland. From what I have observed not a whole lot of people have ventured into this venue. I would suggest that you scotch fans give it a try. For everyday drinking I prefer Jamison. For great sipping I strongly suggest Blackbush.
One word.... "Ick".
quote:
Originally posted by Squirreljam:
Berno, that Pappy 20 is pretty great stuff. Have you tried the 23? I haven't but would love a dram. From what I've heard, it's the Romanee-Conti of bourbons.

I have not, there's a bottle left in my store. It's quite tempting, but I like the 12 year enough to keep me satisfied.
quote:
Originally posted by jorgerunfast:
Bookers's Single Barrel Bourbon

you can feel all 127.4 proof on this bad boy.

not as refined as the basil hayden's, this is sharper, but still nice. and a great selection when you walk in from the office and "need a drink"

Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:
Originally posted by gigabit:
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
One of my favorite sipping Tequilas is Don Julio Anejo. Nice stuff

It is one of my favorites as well.

Yes. His Blanco is also my go-to for summer margaritas.

PH

Thanks for the tip. Smile
quote:
Originally posted by kingofcool:
Anyone tried Avion tequilla? You might recognize the name from Entourage which gives me a hard time taking it seriously. I read a somewhat reputable person write about it being pretty good though. Always skeptical of movie crossover products.

If I recall correctly, this was the brand being tasted at a retail shop recently. I tried both the Reposado and Anejo, and wasn't very impressed. Herrudura's Anejo is about the same price and blows it away IMO.
I've always leaned toward scotch whiskey, but after ten days in Ireland I'm re-acquiring my taste for Irish whiskey. Not sure how prevalent it is here because I'm just getting back from the trip and again, I haven't looked at Irish whiskeys much, but I really enjoyed Redbreast...
quote:
Originally posted by MoselleLuxemburg:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by wine+art:
1608 Bushmills Irish Whiskey.

Had to google this, to see if this is a 400 year old bottle. Ok it isn't Smile[/QUOTE. I'm a poor and working class stiff. I was lucky that my CC went through... And a Sears CC at that. I'm a rookie when it comes to this libation, so nothing unique or expensive. Wink
quote:
quote:

Had to google this, to see if this is a 400 year old bottle. Ok it isn't Smile

it's still 100$ =)

the middleton is better for the money IMHO
quote:
quote:

Had to google this, to see if this is a 400 year old bottle. Ok it isn't Smile[/QUOTE. I'm a poor and working class stiff. I was lucky that my CC went through... And a Sears CC at that. I'm a rookie when it comes to this libation, so nothing unique or expensive. Wink

Working class stiff, yeah. Given the wines you are drinking, i did not completely rule out you actually tasted a 400 year old Irish Whiskey.
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
Midleton 2011 Very Rare Whiskey.

annnd? =)

smooth aint it.[/QUOTE. Not sure what you call the " blend master" but we had it with him at our hotel. He has forgotten more than I know. He was kind enough to schedule a private tasting tomorrow...I do NOT need any other passions!
quote:
quote:

annnd? =)

smooth aint it.[/QUOTE. Not sure what you call the " blend master" but we had it with him at our hotel. He has forgotten more than I know. He was kind enough to schedule a private tasting tomorrow...I do NOT need any other passions!

Cool, sounds like another hard day, tomorrow.
quote:
Does anyone have any experience with the French single malts produced in the Champagne region? If so, what do you think of them?

Name? I remember some good Whiskeys from Michel Couvreur, but then they are whiskeys from scottish distilleries, elevated in France in the Burgundy region. They are not exactly cheap, but worth a try. I guess that's not the stuff you were referring to, Board-O?
quote:
quote:

annnd? =)

Yea, check out the beautiful color on the old stuff they used to blen the midleton's
quote:
quote:
Midleton 20th Anniversary Limited Edition.

Pardon ? Roll Eyes What does a 3500€ bottle of Irish Whiskey taste like ?

What does an expensive bottle of wine taste like? Wink

I met a guy at Castlemartyr that works at Jameson, and he arranged for a tour, tasting and time of reflection. Cool
quote:
quote:
Campari and soda before our meal.

Now i'm wondering which of the Campari or Soda is distilled?

Why, the soda. I did not understand you have yet to visited the great state of Texas! Razz
Wow, that's heavy stuff, a Cask Strength at this young age. Did you like it ? How much water did you add, if any ? I'm curious because that baby sleeps unopened on a shelf.[/QUOTE]

I've had a couple of bottles of this over the years.

I don't put anything in it - but that's a matter of personal taste - a few drops of distilled water would probably be good.

If you like Lagavulin 16 - then 12 cask strength is very nice - its still a peat bomb but pretty smooth for its strength.

On a tour there in 2004 I tasted the raw product as it was going into casks for a 12 or 16 year sleep - the colour was, of course, clear - but the peatiness was profound. We were told that it was in the range of 63 or 64%.
quote:
Did a side-by-side of Macallan 18 and Lagavulin 16 tonight (no wine). The honey and smooth Macallan were excellent, but I slightly prefer the bite of the Lagavulin.

I hear that! Love 'em both, but really like the smoke in the Lagavulin.
One night last week in Vegas, My buds and I were drinking outside one of the older downtown bars, outside of the Fremont area. I went inside to use the mens room, and when I came out, my friend had bought me a Woodford Reserve Manhattan that came in a lowball glass about the size of a softball. Red Face

My other buddy had bought me a sizeable stash of Makers Mark in Phoenix, which he drove to LV. I then shipped it home, saving a very substantial amount.
Catch everything you possibly can, TPEwinedrinker. I'll never understand why they closed the best of the Lowland distilleries. Luckily there are stocks remaining, recently they even released an official 25y bottling. I prefer the younger versions though. Look out for the Rosebank "Flora & Fauna" series.

Writing those lines while enjoying a Balvenie 21 Port Wood.
quote:
Catch everything you possibly can, TPEwinedrinker. I'll never understand why they closed the best of the Lowland distilleries. Luckily there are stocks remaining, recently they even released an official 25y bottling. I prefer the younger versions though. Look out for the Rosebank "Flora & Fauna" series.

Writing those lines while enjoying a Balvenie 21 Port Wood.

Thanks for the tip on the "Flora & Fauna." Tonight, I think I will go for suntory 17yr hibiki. Not the biggest sherry cask fan, but suntory's hibiki does it better than anyone else in my humble opinion.
quote:
I thought I'd try once more. Has anyone had any experience with any of the French single malt whiskies? We'll be visiting a distillery in the Champagne region and I have no idea what to expect.

I think I'd expect about the same as looking for wine made in Scotland! Seriously, I've never even heard of French Single Malt. Given the French expertise in Armenac and Cognac it's obvious they know how to distill spirits, but given the absolute dearth of information on it I'm not liking your chances. Do let us know how it works out. If you survive.... Wink

PH
quote:
Originally posted by cuffthis:
You know where to find me and you know where the crib is too.

Anytime for you, friend.

One day soon. We were very close a few months back, but just couldn't swing it. Don't know about the rum and cigars, but we'll raise a glass with you and Meg soon. Cheers!

PH
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:
Angostura "1824" 12 year old rum from Trinidad, a gift from my brother.

My rum collection is now at 84 different selections.

Rum and cigar offline in Wilmington!!! Cool

PH

thank you for giving me a theme for this weekend's father's day activities. just brought home some Partagas Serie D no. 4's, too.

the elders will be pleased.
quote:
Originally posted by MJAlbers:
quote:
Originally posted by NolanE:
That's not a caipirinha.
exactly...I was adding to your "not on subject" and currently enjoying another one; nothing to do with your Havana Club 7.
My point was that a caipirinha does not have rum as an ingredient.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by MJAlbers:
quote:
That's not a caipirinha.
exactly...I was adding to your "not on subject" and currently enjoying another one; nothing to do with your Havana Club 7.
My point was that a caipirinha does not have rum as an ingredient.
Nolan...please enlighten me; I assume then this is a drink that you enjoy? If not a sugar cane rum, what do you recommend?
quote:
Ron Zacapa XO aged rum from Guatemala.

Seriously good stuff. Beautiful nose of cinnamon, over-ripe banana and allspice. Rich, smooth mouth feel with just a hint of burn on the finish. Bravo.

the centenario is my favorite drink with a cigar, and a fantastic value.
quote:

Seriously good stuff. Beautiful nose of cinnamon, over-ripe banana and allspice. Rich, smooth mouth feel with just a hint of burn on the finish. Bravo.

That partially answers my previous question. Have you ever tried the Solera Gran Reserva 23 from Ron Zacapa ?
didn't see your previous inquiry. My bad.

I like the Ron Zacapa Solera 23, but really like Zaya 12 yr from Trinidad and Vizcaya from DR better, including QPR.

quote:
quote:

That partially answers my previous question. Have you ever tried the Solera Gran Reserva 23 from Ron Zacapa ?
quote:

Great rum - you will not be disappointed. Santa Teresa de Solera from Venezuela is also excellent. Far superior to Havana Club imho.
quote:
Originally posted by wineismylife:
quote:
Not 100% on subject, but damn I want some Havana Club 7 or 15 right now.

I still have half a bottle of 7 next time you're in the Dallas area. Wink
Just saw this. We do need to meet soon and I will take you up on that offer. Big Grin
J. M 1997 Rhum Vieux Agricole, Martinique AOC - My second 100 pointer, imho (Edwin Charley The Virtue from Jamaica the other 100 pointer). The color is surprisingly light for a 14 year old rum, but the aromatics are off the chart. Overripe banana, quince, charred fennel. The mouthfeel is incredibly smooth, and the finish goes on a long, long time, ending with that unique Martinique terroir funk. A true delight to drink. Wow. May require a cigarette after tasting Wink . A luxury at $105.99US for 750ml, + a special order and a bitch to find.
Lotta bourbon this summer, and cigars to go with on the patio after the heat has moderated.

House is Buffalo Trace, like the slightly rough texture and hint of iodine I get. Up the food chain, Jack Daniels Single Barrel is really good and the discounters by me have it for only $36; I'd put it against Blantons any day. The JDSB is labeled Tennesee Whiskey, but I do believe it fits the bourbon rules.
Don Julio reposado and anejo tequila

Arizona grown boy here... on a hot summer day, tequila just works better with light citrusy flavors, lime & grapefruit in particular. Either a shot of anejo with a slice of fruit on the back, or the reposado mixed with cold citrus fruit juices and a touch of agave nectar.

I still don't understand what happened to the pricing of tequila. Prior to 2000, it used to be a reasonably priced spirit. Now, pricing has gone through the roof.
Clement V.S.O.P. Rhum Vieux Agricole, Martinique. Nice notes of lemon rind and cocoa bean. I've heard nice things about this and am glad it is finally available in Delaware at $35.99US retail. Not the most complex of the other rhums I've had from Martinique, it is still very enjoyable. Perhaps the white, not gold, base rum is the difference for me in liking, not loving, this offering.
quote:
The guy at the wine/liquor store saw I had a bottle of Macallan 18 in my basket and told me that a bottle I had never seen before, a Prime Malt 12 from the Jura Distillery, was just as good, so I took his advice. He was wrong.

If ever you find one of the older Macallan 18 (or even 25) bottlings, aged in Sherry oak (not "Fine Oak" Burbon Casks), go for it. Worth every Penny, but rare to find, nowadays.
Del Maguey Vida, Single village Mezcal. This stuff is off the hook. Smoky peat note to rival an islay scotch paired with citrus, and sea salt. to compare this to other distilled liquors, it has far more in common with Laguvulin, Ardbeg, or Laphroig than it has to do with any other agave-based spirit that I have ever tried. Wild stuff and well worth the $35.
quote:
Originally posted by Jcocktosten:
Weekend approaching, so likely some Hendrix Gin and some form of aged rum

Good gin. Normally I like a proper Tom Collins with my gin, but this summer I am liking two no fuss mixers: Fever Tree Bitter Lemon, and Bundaberg Lemon, Lime, & Bitters. The latter is good with Tanqueray, but I think it would be excellent with Hendricks.
quote:
Originally posted by Sleepyhaus:
quote:
Originally posted by Jcocktosten:
Weekend approaching, so likely some Hendrix Gin and some form of aged rum

Good gin. Normally I like a proper Tom Collins with my gin, but this summer I am liking two no fuss mixers: Fever Tree Bitter Lemon, and Bundaberg Lemon, Lime, & Bitters. The latter is good with Tanqueray, but I think it would be excellent with Hendricks.

It is very good to make St. Germain 75s as well. Or just add ice. Or in a drink called Gin & Juice at a place I frequently go on Fridays

Add Reply

Likes (0)