Skip to main content

Willett 12 year single barrel (gift shop release- barrel 9622?). Great stuff from what turns out to be a great barrel- I hear there can be significant variation.

Willett 12, Four Roses Small Batch LE 2015, Van Winkle 12, George T Stagg ('14?) and Smooth Ambler Old Scout (Binny's pick, 10 year) are among the best Bourbons I've enjoyed recently. I was disappointed with Booker's, Elijah Craig 12 and Willett Pot Still Reserve.
quote:
Originally posted by EB Wine:
Willett 12 year single barrel (gift shop release- barrel 9622?). Great stuff from what turns out to be a great barrel- I hear there can be significant variation.

Willett 12, Four Roses Small Batch LE 2015, Van Winkle 12, George T Stagg ('14?) and Smooth Ambler Old Scout (Binny's pick, 10 year) are among the best Bourbons I've enjoyed recently. I was disappointed with Booker's, Elijah Craig 12 and Willett Pot Still Reserve.


Nice job!
Pappy 23. The nose was incredible with caramel, vanilla and spice, but I couldn't find anything similar in the taste. My wallet is happy to know that I like the 12yr "lot b" and affordable alternative wheated bourbons - wellers, makers cask, old fitz, etc much, much more than the 23, just as I like the affordable MacCallan 12 more than the 18.
Last edited by winoca
quote:
Originally posted by WinoCA:
Pappy 23. The nose was incredible with caramel, vanilla and spice, but I couldn't find anything similar in the taste. My wallet is happy to know that I like the 12yr "lot b" and affordable alternative wheated bourbons - wellers, makers cask, old fitz, etc much, much more than the 23, just as I like the affordable MacCallan 12 more than the 18.


Of the '15 Pappys, 20 has showed strongest for most. While the 23 might be the rarest, my understanding is that it's generally not the best.
quote:
Originally posted by EB Wine:
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
Last night, Appleton Estate 21


Love this stuff. Bought a bottle for my brother in-law for his birthday, and he shares with me when I visit.


Finally picked up a bottle of this last weekend, and had a chance to taste it last night. Very nice, but I think I'd be just as happy with 3 bottles of Plantation XO for an equivalent price. I'll have to do a blind tasting one of these nights to see for sure.
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
tlv, what's it sell for now? I've had my bottle for quite a while and bought it in a duty free shop.


It was $129 at Binny's. I don't mind the price, but I can get the Plantation for $45, and I have been consistently wowed by the Plantation. Perhaps I'll change my tune as I go through the bottle.
quote:
Originally posted by EB Wine:
quote:
Originally posted by WinoCA:
Pappy 23. The nose was incredible with caramel, vanilla and spice, but I couldn't find anything similar in the taste. My wallet is happy to know that I like the 12yr "lot b" and affordable alternative wheated bourbons - wellers, makers cask, old fitz, etc much, much more than the 23, just as I like the affordable MacCallan 12 more than the 18.


Of the '15 Pappys, 20 has showed strongest for most. While the 23 might be the rarest, my understanding is that it's generally not the best.


Some Bevmo customers were invited to purchase one bottle of 10, 12, 15 or 20, and they were offered on different days, 10 first, 20 last. I figured most traffic would go for the 15 or 20 and being the last day, there was probably lots of disappointment, so I got a bottle of the 12 like last year (plus I love the 12 anyway). I had the 20 at a bar last weekend. For me it was all heat and oak, super tannic. One glass neat and another with an ice cube to cut it. Just not my style. Next year I'll try for the 15 or 20 but I will taste both and sell or gift if they are anything like the 23.
quote:
Originally posted by thelostverse:
quote:
Originally posted by EB Wine:
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
Last night, Appleton Estate 21


Love this stuff. Bought a bottle for my brother in-law for his birthday, and he shares with me when I visit.


Finally picked up a bottle of this last weekend, and had a chance to taste it last night. Very nice, but I think I'd be just as happy with 3 bottles of Plantation XO for an equivalent price. I'll have to do a blind tasting one of these nights to see for sure.


Did the blind tasting last night. Both rums were very similar on the nose. On the palate though, the Plantation wins the day. The Appleton finishes with a bitter aftertaste while the Plantation goes down so smooth. After I tasted both, I reset the test for Mrs. TLV and she also chose the Plantation.

I'm glad I have both, but I definitely prefer the Plantation.

Add Reply

Post
×
×
×
×
Link copied to your clipboard.
×