quote:
Originally posted by mpls wine guy:
12 year Balvenie Doublewood.


My Costco sells this for under $30 at times!
quote:
Originally posted by MoselleLuxemburg:
Caol Ila "Smoke on the water" 1996/2008, 56%vol, Cask Co/60, for Whisky live Verviers, La Maison du Whisky


Caol Ila is great, but I'm worried that it's going to become too well known. They do have a great line up of malts! Lucky you! Here, in a Hawaii, there is NO WAY to find these...but, there other advantages of living here ))
quote:
Originally posted by mneeley490:
Went to a local whiskey bar called Canon last night. As my friends and I were sampling (I had a Bainbridge Island Battlefield whiskey), we ordered a marrow plate. After we had scooped out the marrow from the bones, the bartender placed 2 shots in front of us. We were then expected to a "bone luge". Apparently, this is a thing. We, being tragically unhip, had never heard of it. It was a very odd experience, and taste sensation.

I just read through the "boneluge" blog. Odd indeed, but like a Pickleback, worth trying at least once. What was the spirit/mix that you slurped?
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:

I just read through the "boneluge" blog. Odd indeed, but like a Pickleback, worth trying at least once. What was the spirit/mix that you slurped?

I wasn't really paying attention. It caught us by surprise. We were seated at the bar, watching the bartender make all sorts of strange concoctions. I think it was some sort of bourbon mixture.
It is a very small space, but they have over 2,600 spirits at any given time, and a rack of odd alchemy bottles that must have contained 50 different types of bitters.
Here's a short video about Canon. It's pretty cool.
quote:
Originally posted by PD2K:
My own infused spiced bourbon - great for wintertime slipping.

Sounds good. What do you infuse into it?
I love Titos, although it's lost some of its appeal now that it's gained a following and prices have risen accordingly. At least up here in Seattle.
quote:
Originally posted by BRR:
I love Titos, although it's lost some of its appeal now that it's gained a following and prices have risen accordingly. At least up here in Seattle.


I only drink Vodka at brunch and that is the cocktail that called out to me (times 5).

Titos is very poular in Key West.
My daughter returned from Cabo last night, and brought me a bottle of Don Julio 1942.

I am not at all a fan of the agave, but man, what a cool looking bottle!
I remember distilled (probably riesling) grapes from the Mosel region and various grappa, but i never tried a distilled Clos des Mouches, what were your impressions ?
quote:
Originally posted by E A Bowers [FlWino]:
2011 Joseph Drouhin Beaune Rouge Clos Des Mouches
2010 Barmes Buecher Riesling Steingrubler


These are distilled?
Maybe i should consider selling some of my bottles, if someone offers a few 100k ?
... meanwhile sipping a Cragganmore 1989 14yr, The Un-Chillfiltered Collection, Signatory
quote:
Originally posted by Juicy:
Ardbeg Uigeadail

AKA Campfire in a glass. I like them smokey, but this one is just too much.
I had a couple of ryes tonight. Both were pretty rough. Jefferson's and Whistle Pig. I think I'm just not a rye whisky kind of guy.
quote:
Originally posted by grossie:
quote:
Originally posted by Juicy:
Ardbeg Uigeadail

AKA Campfire in a glass. I like them smokey, but this one is just too much.


First time with this stuff. Definitely smokey. Oh my. Love your nickname for this stuff.

Are the others in the Ardbeg line-up similar in tasting profile?
quote:
Originally posted by aphilla:
I had a couple of ryes tonight. Both were pretty rough. Jefferson's and Whistle Pig. I think I'm just not a rye whisky kind of guy.


If you haven't already, give Templeton a taste before giving up on rye.
quote:
Originally posted by Shane T.:
quote:
Originally posted by aphilla:
I had a couple of ryes tonight. Both were pretty rough. Jefferson's and Whistle Pig. I think I'm just not a rye whisky kind of guy.


If you haven't already, give Templeton a taste before giving up on rye.

Or Rittenhouse Straight Rye 100 proof. Ridiculously smooth.
quote:
Originally posted by Juicy:
quote:
Originally posted by grossie:
quote:
Originally posted by Juicy:
Ardbeg Uigeadail

AKA Campfire in a glass. I like them smokey, but this one is just too much.


First time with this stuff. Definitely smokey. Oh my. Love your nickname for this stuff.

Are the others in the Ardbeg line-up similar in tasting profile?


More or less, allthough Uigeadail is one of their most peated. Airigh Nam Beist is less peated, for instance, Supernova is more peated.
John J. Bowman Single Barrel Bourbon

Jefferson's Reserve Bourbon

Glen Livet 15 in French Oak

Defiant American Single Malt Whiskey
Ok, after the previous theoretical discussions, i couldn't resist opening that bottle of Ardbeg Supernova. This is a severe forest fire rather than a campfire. Huge smoky oily peppery aromas, some honey and just a hint of fruit. Bottled at 60.1% vol, this is obviously very young. Drink this straight (move tiny drops slowly in all directions of you tongue) or add up to 50% water if you prefer a fruitier aroma.
quote:
Originally posted by mneeley490:
quote:
Originally posted by Shane T.:
quote:
Originally posted by aphilla:
I had a couple of ryes tonight. Both were pretty rough. Jefferson's and Whistle Pig. I think I'm just not a rye whisky kind of guy.


If you haven't already, give Templeton a taste before giving up on rye.

Or Rittenhouse Straight Rye 100 proof. Ridiculously smooth.


Thanks. I've had the Templeton and liked it quite a bit. I've looked for and not been able to find the Rittenhouse around here.
quote:
Originally posted by aphilla:
quote:
Originally posted by mneeley490:
quote:
Originally posted by Shane T.:
quote:
Originally posted by aphilla:
I had a couple of ryes tonight. Both were pretty rough. Jefferson's and Whistle Pig. I think I'm just not a rye whisky kind of guy.


If you haven't already, give Templeton a taste before giving up on rye.

Or Rittenhouse Straight Rye 100 proof. Ridiculously smooth.


Thanks. I've had the Templeton and liked it quite a bit. I've looked for and not been able to find the Rittenhouse around here.

It isn't around here, either. It's made in small batches and is very limited. I buy via internet. Check out Winesearcher.com. I just bought a case from someplace in NY, and with a case discount, and a free-shipping coupon, it came to less than $20 per bottle. Don't let the price fool you. It's worth twice that.
quote:
Originally posted by mneeley490:
it came to less than $20 per bottle. Don't let the price fool you. It's worth twice that.

Good to hear, because 2 X $20 is exactly what our local liquor monopoly sells it for. Clicky
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
quote:
Originally posted by mneeley490:
it came to less than $20 per bottle. Don't let the price fool you. It's worth twice that.

Good to hear, because 2 X $20 is exactly what our local liquor monopoly sells it for. Clicky

I hear you. I bought my first bottle here in WA state from a large wineshop that managed to procure a total of 6 bottles. It was priced about $30, but after taxes, it was much closer to $40.
I love the internet. Big Grin

Add Reply

×
×
×
×
Link copied to your clipboard.
×