If you get a chance, taste the Nectar D'Or alongside some of the other cask-finished Glenmorangies. I recently tasted it side by side with Quinta Ruban (port casks) and Lasanta (sherry casks). Nectar D'Or was my fave, but the fun part was tasting the distinctive influence from each type of cask.
quote:
Originally posted by kingofcool:
Interesting. I've always been tempted. Have you ever had the Balvenie Caribbean Cask?


Decent but not outstanding. Probably take it over that Macallan though.
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
If you get a chance, taste the Nectar D'Or alongside some of the other cask-finished Glenmorangies. I recently tasted it side by side with Quinta Ruban (port casks) and Lasanta (sherry casks). Nectar D'Or was my fave, but the fun part was tasting the distinctive influence from each type of cask.


A friend gifted me a bottle of the Quinta Ruban in late October last year. It was gone before spring!
quote:
Originally posted by mpls wine guy:
Yuk had to taste a Southern Comfort Old Fashion today.

That's just wrong. I ordered an Old Fashioned in Puerto Vallarta once. The best they could do was Jim Beam.
I bought a bottle of Courvoisier XO at the duty free a couple days ago, and tried it last night. It's rich and strongly flavoured, but doesn't have the lightness and breathless impact of Remy Martin or Hennessey XO, both of which I prefer to this. I think someone who is starting, or wanting, to get into good Cognac might enjoy this-- easy to drink, flavourful, very smooth.
quote:
Originally posted by mneeley490:
Dalwhinne 1981 Double Casked.


I haven't seen that one. Is that the green label? If so, I have seen it. What's it cost? Worth the money? I like the 15.
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
quote:
Originally posted by mneeley490:
Dalwhinne 1981 Double Casked.


I haven't seen that one. Is that the green label? If so, I have seen it. What's it cost? Worth the money? I like the 15.

Yes, it is the greenish/blueish/grayish label. And my mistake, it says, "Double Matured", not casked. I think I bought it about 20 years ago in Vancouver, so I don't remember exactly what I paid for it, but it is worth the extra, imo. I don't think it was that much more than the 15. It is of the same style, but with a more intense flavor. I have about 2 shots left. 1981 happens to be my wedding anniversary.
Last Saturday, I presented my daughter with a 1990 that I picked up in Scottsdale a few years back. That is her birth year, so she can add it to her '90 wine collection.
With the heat we've had, I have been drinking mojitos the last few days. No respite until Sunday when its supposed to be in the 80s...i am going to need more limes & mint!
I'm thinking of getting some rum. I know nothing about it. Some for sipping and some for dark and stormys. For dark and stormys I've been told the selection is not very important. Will probably go for goslings or sailor jerry.

For sipping I was going to look for Ron Abuelo 12.

Based strictly on unsubstantiated internet searches I may get these if the Abuelo is unavailable: Zafra 21 or Cruzan Single Barrel.
quote:
Originally posted by kingofcool:
I'm thinking of getting some rum. I know nothing about it. Some for sipping and some for dark and stormys. For dark and stormys I've been told the selection is not very important. Will probably go for goslings or sailor jerry.

For sipping I was going to look for Ron Abuelo 12.

Based strictly on unsubstantiated internet searches I may get these if the Abuelo is unavailable: Zafra 21 or Cruzan Single Barrel.


For Dark and Stormy's the selection is incredibly important. Thankfully you already mentioned the rum you need to have which is of course Goslings.

For sipping rum, I like Ron Zacapa though the three you mentioned are all good.
Dark and Stormy was fantastic despite the not so great ginger beer (Reeds - way too tame). The abuelo was good but had an interesting finish. For lack of a better description, it was watery. But maybe I just need to revisit.
quote:
Originally posted by kingofcool:
Dark and Stormy was fantastic despite the not so great ginger beer (Reeds - way too tame). The abuelo was good but had an interesting finish. For lack of a better description, it was watery. But maybe I just need to revisit.


I loved the Abuelo 12, but I imagine it gets lost in a D&S. You really need a dark, dark rum for the proper drink. Gosling's or Myers's. A mixture of anything else would likely be labeled a "dock-sipper" instead. Abuelo 12 for me is best neat.
I'm unfamiliar with the Reeds you used. Have you had Barritt's? It's pretty intense but makes a great Dark and Stormy.
I emailed the distributor for Barritt's to see where it can be found in my area. I'll be sure to check the grocery next time I'm there. Probably best to stay unfamiliar with Reeds. Not nearly intense enough.
Took an abridged tour of Scotland last night. Started out with speyside: Balenvie 12 and Macallaen 12. I preferred the macallean for the richer flavor. Then topped it off with a trip to islay with ardberg 10. Very much enjoyed this one.
quote:
Originally posted by TPEwinedrinker:
Suntory 17 yr Hibiki
Macallan 18 yr Fine Oak
Gordon & MacPhail Rosebank Distillery 1991
Lagavulin 16 yr
Caol Ila 10 yr
Ardbeg Uigeadail


Very nice selection, especially the Hibiki and Uigedail.
How was the G&M Rosebank? Worth seeking out?
quote:
Originally posted by MoselleLuxemburg:
quote:
Originally posted by TPEwinedrinker:
Suntory 17 yr Hibiki
Macallan 18 yr Fine Oak
Gordon & MacPhail Rosebank Distillery 1991
Lagavulin 16 yr
Caol Ila 10 yr
Ardbeg Uigeadail


Very nice selection, especially the Hibiki and Uigedail.
How was the G&M Rosebank? Worth seeking out?

thank you very much MoselleLuxembourg. I honestly think the Hibiki is one of the most underrated whiskeys out there. For me, anything from the Rosebank Distillery is a treat, and the G&M was a fantastic expression. Would love to sip some scotch with you sometime. Cheers!
They certainly do! I read multiple reports of it being "better" than the 16, so I decided to give it a whirl. Oddly enough, it is actually more expensive than the 16 here.

Add Reply

×
×
×
×
Link copied to your clipboard.
×