What did you have for lunch?

Took at client to Cafe Boulud at the brand new Four Seasons. Personally I thought the restaurant could have been built in 1990. Terracotta plaster walls, really? IMO, the design is poor. Feel like I'm sounding harsh but we are talking about the new "flagship" Four Seasons Hotel???

Service was top notch, food was good to very good. Still can't believe the design.
on Sunday - porchetta sandwiches, homemade proscuitto, lamb spiducci (i think i may have OD'd on these) and gallons of homemade red wine to wash it all down. In the middle of the street, in the shadows of the Brewster Douglas projects, tailgating for Lions-Pack.
Yesterday in Soave for the mercantino,
assorted cured meats, fresh bread
pasta in a tomato base with sausauge, zucchini, and the most flavorful, pungent smoked ricotta I have ever had
Manzo Alla griglia
Strudel di Mele, cheese cake with whipped panna, and tiramasu
Everything was homemade except for the wine, a Classico from Pra, 2011
And, we bought a barrel, French oak, stamped by cooper, very good condition. They make excellent cocktail tables.
all sorts of cheeses, house cured meats and pickles; duck offal ragu on egg noodles (better than it sounds) and ricotta gnocchi in pumpkin sauce with fried proscuitto and sage @ Buca. Most interesting was the pickled green strawberries that were awesome. with some massolino dolcetto.
A gracious supplier hosted me at Momofuko Daisho yesterday for lunch in the new Shangrila. It's definitely different and a welcome change for Toronto. No backs or padding on any seating and as much as a liked the playlist(it was good) it was freakin blasted like it was last call. All seating under 4 or maybe 6 is communal - comfort was not the main objective.

The food was very interesting, unique,and technical with some real highs - deep fried Brussels sprouts with crispy rice, chicken wing bun, 5 textures of chocolate with crystallized basil (highlight) but the lows were bordering unedible. Rice cakes were a strange gooey texture and halibut cheeks were crusted in something so granular we joked about breaking our teeth.

Overall, it's a good addition to the Toronto scene and I'm sure they will do great.
quote:
Originally posted by mangiare:
A gracious supplier hosted me at Momofuko Daisho yesterday for lunch in the new Shangrila. It's definitely different and a welcome change for Toronto. No backs or padding on any seating and as much as a liked the playlist(it was good) it was freakin blasted like it was last call. All seating under 4 or maybe 6 is communal - comfort was not the main objective.

The food was very interesting, unique,and technical with some real highs - deep fried Brussels sprouts with crispy rice, chicken wing bun, 5 textures of chocolate with crystallized basil (highlight) but the lows were bordering unedible. Rice cakes were a strange gooey texture and halibut cheeks were crusted in something so granular we joked about breaking our teeth.

Overall, it's a good addition to the Toronto scene and I'm sure they will do great.

interesting. was discussing going earlier this week. if you had to pay - would you go back? or do i save this for when suppliers are in town? Big Grin
quote:
Took at client to Cafe Boulud at the brand new Four Seasons. Personally I thought the restaurant could have been built in 1990. Terracotta plaster walls, really? IMO, the design is poor. Feel like I'm sounding harsh but we are talking about the new "flagship" Four Seasons Hotel???

Service was top notch, food was good to very good. Still can't believe the design.

New one? Or revamped Yorkville?
Chicken Korma and saag paneer from the only Indian fast food place in the underground who makes their own naan in a real tandoor.

The Momofuko sounds interesting. It's pretty much across the street so I'm sure I'll try it soon. On a drinking note, the lobby bar at the Shangri-la does bottle service vodka for $75 a bottle which is unbeatable in downtown Toronto...
quote:
Originally posted by Adam10:
quote:

the brand new one at Bay and Yorkville...

New one? Or revamped Yorkville?
Since I had an extremely decadent weekend in Montreal, I decided to be conservative for lunch today.

At the Alehouse: 3 Dogfish 60 Minute Pale Ales, a Pepperoni, Bacon and Jalapeno Pizza (I only ate half!!) and am baking a small batch of Toll House cookies for later in the day. Winner WTF, there's always tomorrow....

PH
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
Since I had an extremely decadent weekend in Montreal, I decided to be conservative for lunch today.

At the Alehouse: 3 Dogfish 60 Minute Pale Ales, a Pepperoni, Bacon and Jalapeno Pizza (I only ate half!!) and am baking a small batch of Toll House cookies for later in the day. Winner WTF, there's always tomorrow....

PH

it's good to be king
Grilled pork back ribs two ways: dry rub and garlicky BBQ sauce, and filet mignon roasted and cut thin. Matched with 89 Sociando Mallet and 06 Mollydooker Blue-eyed Boy, with 1991 Taylor Vargellas for dessert.

A good time was had by all!
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:
aioli.

Eek

PH

Egg yolks, never mayonnaise. Wink

It's a close relative, which is what prompted my surprise. Although there are aiolis which are made without egg yolk, most are an emulsion of olive oil, egg yolk, fresh garlic and some Dijon. Other than perhaps using a different oil and the addition of mustard and garlic - they're at least kissin' cousins. I'll defer to any serious chefs on this contention........

PH
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
quote:
Moroccan octopus & pork jowls

Interesting. I had:

Eye of newt, and toe of frog,
Wool of bat, and tongue of dog,
Adder's fork, and blind-worm's sting,
Lizard's leg, and owlet's wing

Sounds like moonshine would be the drink of choice.

Add Reply

Likes (0)