I just wonder what people here have for lunch. I know there are several good cooks and people who eat out at very nice restaurants on a regular basis at dinner time. But what do you do on work days, when crunched for time?

Yesterday I had a shrimp burrito at Cotija. Smile
Original Post
I eat at lunch at home about twice in the workweek, leftovers, or an omelette or something, but otherwise, I rotate among a few local restaurants:

Club/chili from an Irish pub down the street.
Salad bar at local grocery or Whole Foods.
Sando, or Spinach Quiche from one of three local delis.
Subway 6".
Pizza/salad from a good local pizzeria.
Occasionally, some bad Chinese food with co-workers who love the place.
Food from the local Wednesday farmer's market.

Yawn.

Hey, you asked spo. . .
Yesterday was a gorgeous day in MI.
So a couple of friends and I decided to go for a ride on the Scooters. Stopped off at a biker bar in BFE North of Lapeer for a classic Bar Burger with a thick slice of onion. Fries on the side and a couple of Sam Adams. Quite satisfying.
When I'm at home for lunch (about half the time as I work from home). I usually make something quick for lunch (10-15 minutes max). Most weekends I will make a batch of soup or refried beans and salsa for Huevos Rancheros and then quickly heat it up and add bits for lunch. I serve the soups with crackers, cheese, olives etc which I always have on hand. On the weekend, I like to make a batch of spicy puttanesca for lunch.

When I go out for lunch, I usually have either good italian sandwiches, pho, sushi, soups, stews or salads. Quiznos prime rib is a bit of a guilty pleasure.
Weekends are my "guilty" days.

Went for a walk around Corona queens, near the center hispanic and italian district.

Picked up some Empanadas stuffed with potatoes, peas and chicken in a spicy tomato sauce.

Cuban sandwich, thin slice of pork loin, ham, swiss cheese and pickles.

Sat in the near by park for shade and enjoyed a nice lunch. No alcohol tho as trying to keep some of the calories off.

Of course, you can't be in corona without going to the ice king of corona (which made up for the lack of alcohol calories and then some).

Great for 90+ weather.
quote:
Originally posted by spo:
quote:
Yawn.

But you are a vegetarian. Wink

And proud of it! <empty suit razz>. Well, I do eat seafood, which strangely, doesn't seem to disqualify one from being a vegetarian in the midwest.

Today: sauteed shrimp w/garlic, a little salt. Three farmers market peaches, handful of local strawberries, iced tea. Man, I love summertime.
Seared foie gras with an 01 Yquem...

just kidding...
Usually leftovers or a sandwich and salad from cafeteria here at work. Today I was out of the office for a few (seeing my daughter get her first real haircut!) and had an Asian Chicken wrap from Togo's.
We are pretty lucky to have a lot of options close to work, so each week is different. The only thing consistent week to week is a sushi run and our weekly trip down to Laguna Beach to eat and check out the beautiful “scenery”.

Today we went to “the hat” for double dipped pastrami sandwiches. I need a nap now.
Charcoal grilled boneless-skinless breasts, sliced and topped with 1/2 sliced avocado. Served on multigrain bread (or a sub roll if I'm feeling real hungry). That, or I'll pack a salad of spinach, geen olives, grilled chicken or tuna, peppers, grilled corn and baby carrots. Top with a low fat or fat free dressing.

Coke zero.
quote:
Originally posted by indybob:
quote:
quote:
Yawn.

But you are a vegetarian. Wink

And proud of it! <empty suit razz>. Well, I do eat seafood, which strangely, doesn't seem to disqualify one from being a vegetarian in the midwest...

It is not just the Midwest. About 1/4 of my college friends (all East Coast) consider themselves vegetarians but all of them eat fish and seafood (except for one Vegan -- but he is downright mental).

Frankly, if I didn't like the taste of red meat so much, I would deffinitely go this route... But I do, so I don't Wink
Lovely steak frite at Boulevard Cafe' in Fountain Hills, AZ. Shared a bottle of 2007 Archery Summit Rose' with DW, restaurant is BYOB since they do not have their liquor license yet. No corkage.

Back in Oregon now, land of the Fighting Ducks and great Pinot Noir.
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleD:
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
A piping hot mug of white onion and garlic soup with some crusty bread and a couple pints of Abbot Ale.
Then back to work. Big Grin All of a sudden the numbers start to look better. Sounds like a great lunch.
I actually work from home most days, so I walk to lunch just to get out of the house. Today was kind of cold so soup and beer it was. I’m usually more efficient before lunch Wink
Saturday – At Duke’s in South Ken - Pork belly with an apricot glaze and mixed greens. Fullers London Pride.

Sunday – Needed a break from shopping so we stopped into Scalini in Knightsbridge. I had the pennette with tomato, sausage & pesto. Simple chianti. Third time I have been to Scalini in the last couple of weeks. Can’t recommend it high enough.
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:
Chicken Tikka from a Mediterranean place on my way home from work. Smile

Isn't that an Indian dish? Confused Big Grin

Chicken Tika from Al-Meshwar Greek & Mediterranean Food. What do you want form me? I am from El Cajon.
quote:
Not to worry Board-O, there have been plenty of days when you were grilling steaks and veggies on the “what’s for dinner” thread and I’m eating a frozen pizza….

Isn't that the truth?
Or, in my case, working late and coming home to a simple bowl of cereal. Roll Eyes Big Grin
After working the overnight shift for a few days I didn't eat a formal lunch for a bit. Before the football game Saturday I had a classic brunch of Double Gloucester and Gouda cheese with some locally make crackers, a few glasses of Bordeaux and a bottle of Hacker-Pschorr Octoberfest and Blue Moon Pumpkin ale. Oh, and a Reeces pieces... I didn't drink nearly enough to stomach the way Wisconsin lost to Ohio St. however....
quote:
Originally posted by khmark7:
Before the football game Saturday I had a classic brunch of Double Gloucester and Gouda cheese with some locally make crackers, a few glasses of Bordeaux and a bottle of Hacker-Pschorr Octoberfest and Blue Moon Pumpkin ale. Oh, and a Reeces pieces...

[insert farting emoticon]
I had 10 minutes for lunch. I had 2 "dirty water hot dog" (160 calories each-that's what the sign said-with mustard and onions along with a can of diet Coke and 1.5 oz of potato chips(a package deal at $3.50 served with 2 napkins in a brown bag). All this from a steet vendor who did not speak English very well. I always like people who serve food and handle money. I suppose from an immunologiocal stand point, I gained some antibodies.
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:
quote:
Originally posted by davem858:

8 White Castle cheeseburgers...I think I need some Tums.

Wow! Going for a personal best?? Smile

Unfortunately 8 is probably not even close to my personal best (yet I can't understand why I can't lose any weight!!). It's rare that I eat these during daylight hours as they are usually consumed after hours when I'm not particularly interested in counting. Smile
It’s forecast time again so to give myself a break from starring at excel all morning, I went to my local pub and had roasted parsnip soup and a caesar salad with roasted chicken. A couple of pints later and I’m having a hard time getting motivated to finish my forecast……
1/2 of a chicken at Prince's Hot Chicken in Nashville. Spice was Hot. My scalp is still sweating and bad things are going on in my guts but it was worth it!

Oh - I washed it down with a basket of fries and two liters of diet coke.

Thirsty "gotta love hot chicken" Man
quote:
Originally posted by thirsty man:
1/2 of a chicken at Prince's Hot Chicken in Nashville. Spice was Hot. My scalp is still sweating and bad things are going on in my guts but it was worth it!

Big Grin
Today is my b-day (32!) and my wife made my favorite pesto with chicken for lunch served with a wonderful 2004 Domaine de la Vougeraie Corton-Charlegagne Le Carlemagne that she picked out for me. Lovely lunch and wine and even better company. Unfortunately I have to work the rest of the afternoon, but meeting friends tonight at a pub! Happy New Years!
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by thirsty man:

Big Grin

If you like spicy food - you need to have lunch here when you are in town. "Hot chicken" is a Nashville tradition that deserves trying.

take a look at this link if you are curious:

www.nashvillehotchicken.com the link for Prince's is the one to look at first.
quote:

Today is my b-day (32!)

Ah, a 1976 birthday. I'm hoping you enjoyed a wonderful wine from Loire or Champagne from 1976 to celebrate. Both were stellar in '76, and Germany as well.

At 32, your best years are still to come Glenn. Happy Birthday!
Thanks for your kind words W+A. I hope to share a bottle with you soon.

Champagne from 76 sounds wonderful, I will have to look into that. The only birth year wine I have had was at the La Chapelle tasting I went to last month. Everyone figured it would be way over the hill but it showed surprising well. Cool
quote:
Thanks for your kind words W+A. I hope to share a bottle with you soon.

Champagne from 76 sounds wonderful, I will have to look into that. The only birth year wine I have had was at the La Chapelle tasting I went to last month. Everyone figured it would be way over the hill but it showed surprising well. Cool

We will share a bottle or two I'm sure.

Do not overlook Germany, the wines from '76 can be VERY special.
Spinach stromboli at the local pizzeria. Then, spent 30 minutes walking around downtown Indy at lunchtime with my Chargers LT jersey on. NOTHING! Indy is as wimpy a football town as there is. The fans here don't not like their team, they're just so danged polite. Would have gotten a "Chargers suck!" in Pittsburgh, New England, or Miami. And, a knife attack in Oakland.
quote:
Originally posted by BRR:
quote:
Originally posted by Dunder:
Okay BRR, I'll bite, what's a "bagel"?

Oh, I just happened to grab a few crappy grocery store bagels that are, IMO, sorry excuses for real bagels. That's all I was saying.

EVERYONE knows you've got to come to Montreal for a REAL Bagel! Smile

Isn't that so TBird? Wink
quote:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Dunder:
Okay BRR, I'll bite, what's a "bagel"?

Oh, I just happened to grab a few crappy grocery store bagels that are, IMO, sorry excuses for real bagels. That's all I was saying.

Big Grin Watch out, KSCO2, I hear New Yawkers are pretty firm in their belief that NY bagels are the center of the known bagel world. Personally, I've never tried one but would love to make it up to Montreal to try!
quote:
quote:

Big Grin Watch out, KSCO2, I hear New Yawkers are pretty firm in their belief that NY bagels are the center of the known bagel world. Personally, I've never tried one but would love to make it up to Montreal to try!

My point exactly BRR.

When TBird was coming up, a few months back, the challenge was made to compare both side-by-side.
No bag-o-bagels showed.
Thus, I just assumed it was a clear forefeiture. Montreal won it, no? Big Grin Popcorn
quote:
Originally posted by Brashley:
Homemade cream of brocoli & cauliflower soup, garnished with grated sharp cheddar ... the hint of nutmeg works well in this soup.
I'll have to try it with the nutmeg, sounds tasty. Today it was some awesome chicken shawarma at a local Greek place.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by mareff:
two hard boiled eggs and a box of cheerios.

And I assume that the 'box' was for needed fiber in your diet? Razz

A man always needs some fiber in his diet, nice milestone on the 5000 post, btw
I was tempted to put this in the "worst meal" thread.
Healthy Choice Fresh Mixers Szechwan Beef w/ Asian Style Noodles. My wife bought this for me. I'll have to figure out some way to "thank" her.
This stuff is horrid! A couple small strips of beef in a sweet goo. And the "asian" noodles more closely resemble the ones in a pouch of dried Lipton chicken noodle soup.
The company should be fined for putting this crap on the market! Mad

Add Reply

Likes (0)