Dylan in Chicago a few days ago.  He was in excellent form.  One of the best Dylan shows in at least a decade.  I'm looking forward to his show here in Ithaca in a couple of weeks and (hoping against hope) to catch one or two of his dozen shows in Tokyo next spring.

The Old Man posted:
haggis posted:

Dylan in Chicago a few days ago.  He was in excellent form.  One of the best Dylan shows in at least a decade. 

I saw him in Chicago at the godawful International Amphitheater with--The Band.

That place was indeed a shithole. It made my he generic arena in Rosemont seem like a palace.

steve8 posted:

Went to see Jenny Lewis at L'Astral on the weekend. Really enjoyed it although a few more older songs would have been nice.

Saw her earlier this year.  I think she's great.  I don't know her back catalog that well, but I first heard her when she was in Rilo Kiley.  I would've loved to hear Portion for Foxes.  Great song.

I've got a busy few weeks, starting with Edwin McCain tonight at City Winery, Jimmy Webb on the 17th, and my Wife's favorite -  Jason Mraz on the 24th.  I'm really looking forward to Jimmy Webb as he is an incredible songwriter and his stories on stage alone are worth the price of admission.

Saw Patty Griffin on Sunday night at Cafe Campus. One of the mellower shows I've seen in some time, but she was very good. I didn't/don't really know her music that well. The two guys she had playing guitar and bass/percussion were very solid.

steve8 posted:

Saw Patty Griffin on Sunday night at Cafe Campus. One of the mellower shows I've seen in some time, but she was very good. I didn't/don't really know her music that well. The two guys she had playing guitar and bass/percussion were very solid.

Yes, especially the guitar player. We've seen her solo, with a full band, with just the guitarist and bassist, and also in a foursome with Shawn Colvin, Emmylou Harris and Buddy Miller. Always entertaining.

If you can find the PBS Soundstage "Three Girls & Their Buddy" episode from 9 or 10 years ago, it's worth watching. Here's an 18 minute segment from it. Crappy video quality, but the sound is decent:

https://youtu.be/AUMMuQbuC8w

steve8 posted:

She's a tremendous performer.  I missed it, but a friend caught her at the Continental Club for a show billed as "Patty Griffin & Her Driver", which turned out to be Robert Plant when they were still dating and living together here in Austin.  Said it was one of the best live shows he's ever seen, which for him is quite something.

Add Reply

Likes (0)