steve8 posted:
pinotlvr posted:

Last Night - KISS at Amalie Arena in Tampa.  Glad I finally got to see them and I truly hope they do indeed hang it up after this End of the Road Tour.  The stage show is awesome...but no doubt Paul can't hit the same notes anymore.  Certainly should have seen them in my teen years

You mean like 1977? London (Ontario) Gardens with Cheap Trick as opening act. I vaguely remember it being fun.

I was at that show myself! Sat almost parallel to stage right a few rows up. 

steve8 posted:
pinotlvr posted:

Last Night - KISS at Amalie Arena in Tampa.  Glad I finally got to see them and I truly hope they do indeed hang it up after this End of the Road Tour.  The stage show is awesome...but no doubt Paul can't hit the same notes anymore.  Certainly should have seen them in my teen years

You mean like 1977? London (Ontario) Gardens with Cheap Trick as opening act. I vaguely remember it being fun.

September 6, 1976 at Varsity Stadium. I vaguely remember being horrified.

The full lineup that day was Artful Dodger, KISS, Blue Oyster Cult and Rush. (I had to look it up on setlist.fm.)

Went to see Spiritualized at the Corona Theater last night. Not an exciting show as they don't have much of a stage presence. Jason Pierce sits through the entire concert and barely said a word to the audience. That said, very proficient musicians capable of producing a lot of noise. Three guitarists, including Pierce, made some seriously heavy music along with a good light show which was pretty intense at times. Overall though I'd say their (Pierce's) music is better listened to on a good sound system from the comfort of a couch.

sunnylea57 posted:
jcubed posted:

Wishbone Ash

Really? Loved them back in their heyday. Who is in the band these days? And how do they sound?

Yes. They are on a 50th anniversary tour. They will be up in the northeast over the next couple weeks. 

Andy Powell with the Flying V guitar is the only original member in the band. I am not really familiar with their catalog but a friend had an extra ticket. He saw Wishbone Ash at his first concert around 1970 when they opened for Alice Cooper.

Sounded good. Straight-ahead dueling guitar rock.

J3

jcubed posted:
sunnylea57 posted:
jcubed posted:

Wishbone Ash

Really? Loved them back in their heyday. Who is in the band these days? And how do they sound?

Yes. They are on a 50th anniversary tour. They will be up in the northeast over the next couple weeks. 

Andy Powell with the Flying V guitar is the only original member in the band. I am not really familiar with their catalog but a friend had an extra ticket. He saw Wishbone Ash at his first concert around 1970 when they opened for Alice Cooper.

Sounded good. Straight-ahead dueling guitar rock.

J3

Well now you have me listening to their first 4 albums on Apple Music. Some of it doesn't hold up, but some is still pretty good.

Went to "An initimate Evening with the National" last night.  It opened with a screening of Mike Mills short film 'I am Easy to Find' followed by a Q&A with the band hosted by Feist.   The show itself was mostly new material off their upcoming album that was generally good in that melancholy National sort of way.  The encore covered some of their older more familiar work. Fesit came out to sing with them on a few songs. Mrs. VeV got very excited when we spotted the Rural Alberta Advantage sitting two rows in front of us.   I'm used to more raucous/noisy shows but this was a pretty special experience.

Went to my annual (and hopefully final) Stagecoach.  A bit too pop oriented for my taste this year (Luke Bryan, Sam Hunt, Jason Aldean).  The saving grace was the first night, when Bret Michaels took the second stage and knocked out an hour's worth of Poison hits.  And it wasn't country versions, it was a straight up Poison concert.  It was 11 year old me's dream come true.  

Also ran up to Redondo Beach to a new festival they have in order to see Slightly Stoopid play. They played the set before Bob Weir.  I'm not a dead-head by any means, so it was just drinking time for me.  But Weir sounded good. Not my jam, but not the worst music I've ever heard. Caught a bit of Chris Robinson's band As the Crow Flies.  They weren't bad either.  And Chris Robinson hasn't changed in like 20 years.  

Friday Night saw Judas Priest in Hollywood, FL.  Really mixed up the set vs. the last time I saw them.  Played some stuff not played since their Epitaph Tour and even songs not played since the 80's and early 90's.  Always great seeing a mature band reaching deep into their catalog vs. playing the same greatest hits set year of year.

Add Reply

Likes (0)