Skip to main content

quote:
Originally posted by bman:
We saw them 9 years ago and were disappointed. No spark or pizzazz at all, pretty much going through the motions. Maybe it was just an off night.

That's too bad, bman. I wouldn't say there was pizzazz when I saw them either... but there also wasn't any pizzazz in the original Genesis shows. They were very controlled on stage. None of the musicians in Genesis moved around or even smiled much during a performance. They were heads down, focusing on the music. Only Gabriel moved, and his performance was very contrived and theatrical (and really silly, in hindsight). Nothing spontaneous about it. The Musical Box makes a point of recreating everything exactly as it was, in all its contrived, non-spontaneous glory.
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
quote:
We saw them 9 years ago and were disappointed. No spark or pizzazz at all, pretty much going through the motions. Maybe it was just an off night.

That's too bad, bman. I wouldn't say there was pizzazz when I saw them either... but there also wasn't any pizzazz in the original Genesis shows. They were very controlled on stage. None of the musicians in Genesis moved around or even smiled much during a performance. They were heads down, focusing on the music. Only Gabriel moved, and his performance was very contrived and theatrical (and really silly, in hindsight). Nothing spontaneous about it. The Musical Box makes a point of recreating everything exactly as it was, in all its contrived, non-spontaneous glory.

I think part of our disappointment was that we were there with our kids, who were teenagers at the time, who were hoping to hear more familiar tunes including from Phil Collins and Mike and the Mechanics. But it was largely older stuff they, and we either didn't know or didn't love. Which is not surprising as the theme of the tour was older stuff from the early days of the band, but we didn't know that at the time. And we still would have gone - we didn't miss many classic rock tours that came through Ottawa.
quote:
Yes they do, Bomba.

http://themusicalbox.net/tour.php?lang=en

A bunch of shows in California coming up in February. Well worth seeing.

And here is the Wiki page on the band. Interesting that both Steve Hackett and Phil Collins have sat in with them.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Musical_Box_(band)

Thanks for the recommendation. They're near me in the new year, I think I'll check them out.
quote:
Yeah, their whole deal is recreating specific concerts from 1973-74. Selling England by the Pound. And Lamb Lies Down. That's it. No "greatest hits".

I saw them do The Lamb Lies Down...and thought it was great. That being said they focus on the era when Peter Gabriel fronted the band so there isn't any of the Phil Collins repartee or songs from later albums.
Despite the prog rock trappings, Selling England is full of earwigs. The melodies stick in your head and won't let go.

As for the staging, Peter Gabriel must look back on that era and wince. His performance and costumes were so contrived and pretentious.

But I still love it, in all its "poncey" glory. The Musical Box shows are a charming snapshot of a specific time and place.
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
quote:
Originally posted by Dick Tree:
That being said they focus on the era when Peter Gabriel fronted the band so there isn't any of the Phil Collins repartee or songs from later albums.

Genesis ceased to exist when Gabriel left anyway.
Selling England by the Pound is my fave album.

Sorry but I respectfully disagree. For my personal taste Genesis reached its peak in the few years immediately after Gabriel left, circa Seconds Out.
quote:
Originally posted by Dick Tree:
Sorry but I respectfully disagree. For my personal taste Genesis reached its peak in the few years immediately after Gabriel left, circa Seconds Out.

I like Seconds Out, despite Collins' vocals, but the album has a lot of Gabriel era songs. As many as from Trick of the Tail, which they were promoting on that tour. Good performances for sure.
15 feet from greatness. The un-freaking-believable Manu Katche band tonight at Ronnie Scott's in London. Easily in the top 10 concerts I've ever seen. I knew Manu was amazing, but all four of his band were his equal - especially his musical director and piano player Jim Watson. The guy channeled the technical virtuosity of Oscar Peterson with the lyricism of Bill Evans. Stunning. The whole band was: Manu Katche- Drums; Laurent Vernerey- Bass; Jim Watson- Piano/Keyboards; Tore Brunborg- Sax; Luca Aquino- Trumpet

If you don't know Manu, you've certainly heard him. He was the drummer on all of Peter Gabriel's biggest albums, he played with Sting, he's the drummer on Robbie Robertson's "Somewhere Down the Crazy River", he's on Joni Mitchell's "Chalk Mark In a Rainstorm", plus Jeff Beck, Joe Satriani.....

Oh... and the meal at the club was superb.
Haven't gone yet but hope to buy tickets on Wednesday for U2's Joshua Tree 30th anniversary tour. A band that has certainly lost its way, The Joshua Tree remains one of the all time great albums. Apparently they are playing it straight through including the never played live "Red Hill Mining Town" which has long been my favorite U2 song. Hearing Bono sing that will be bucket list material.
For sure! I actually go back as far as the War tour and have seen a few dozen shows. My ex BIL was tour manager for both ZooTV tours (arena than stadiums) and that will always be one of my favorites. Caught three shows two year ago two of which I was on the floor about ten feet from the Edge. This will be very different but still great.

I stopped comparing concerts many years ago and just enjoy each one for what it is. Sure I'd prefer smaller venues but stadiums don't deter me. It's funny because my teenage son went to one of those shows upfront with me and is hesitating this time because he doesn't think it will be as good. I'm sure he'll come around to my way of thinking. Plus his 13 year old sister is excited to see her first U2 show.

You never know if you will get another chance so I'd encourage you to go if you are still a fan and just enjoy the whole scene. I still regret passing on the Serious Moonlight Bowie tour and never getting another chance.
quote:
15 feet from greatness. The un-freaking-believable Manu Katche band tonight at Ronnie Scott's in London. Easily in the top 10 concerts I've ever seen. I knew Manu was amazing, but all four of his band were his equal - especially his musical director and piano player Jim Watson. The guy channeled the technical virtuosity of Oscar Peterson with the lyricism of Bill Evans. Stunning. The whole band was: Manu Katche- Drums; Laurent Vernerey- Bass; Jim Watson- Piano/Keyboards; Tore Brunborg- Sax; Luca Aquino- Trumpet

If you don't know Manu, you've certainly heard him. He was the drummer on all of Peter Gabriel's biggest albums, he played with Sting, he's the drummer on Robbie Robertson's "Somewhere Down the Crazy River", he's on Joni Mitchell's "Chalk Mark In a Rainstorm", plus Jeff Beck, Joe Satriani.....

Oh... and the meal at the club was superb.

What a treat! The greatest drummer I have ever seen live. Too bad he doesn't get to US much, I'd love to see him with his band.
quote:
Originally posted by bomba503:
Cool! Thats what I wanted but since Im taking my 13 year old daughter I opted for seats with a decent view of what should be a major multi-media background but away from the craziness. Im thinking a 2nd show will be added and that will be a GA ticket for me with my party friendsSmile

U2 in Cleveland stadium, best thing to happen there in a long time! Splurged for tickets in the first section up from the stage.

I missed the original Joshua Tree tour, my parents wouldn't let me go with older friends of mine back then, damn them! Can't wait to hear the album in its entirety, especially as already mentioned Red Hill Mining Town
I recently attended a Rain concert at the Gallo Center in Modesto. It was sold out. See them if you ever get a chance.

They are a Beatles Tribute band. They look like the original Beatles. The guy who plays Paul's role even plays left-handed like Paul McCartney.
Their visuals and stage design along with their great voices makes for an entertaining show. Nothing is prerecorded!
quote:
Originally posted by Kathy H.:
I recently attended a Rain concert at the Gallo Center in Modesto. It was sold out. See them if you ever get a chance.

They are a Beatles Tribute band. They look like the original Beatles. The guy who plays Paul's role even plays left-handed like Paul McCartney.
Their visuals and stage design along with their great voices makes for an entertaining show. Nothing is prerecorded!

Ugh, tribute bands. Better to see LOVE in Las Vegas which has the gestalt of The Beatles and of the times without imitators.
In the last several weeks:

The Wall- Floyd cover band from Montreal that reenacts The Wall in it's entirety. A bit of stage play and concert. Interesting. I got a kick out of it

Big Eyed Fish- Dave Matthews cover band. Ok instrumentally, but singer missing falsetto.

The Machine- 30 year Floyd cover band (lead guitarist at least). Plenty of keyboards much stronger and prominent that in Rick Wright fashion. Interpolations. Ok.
quote:
Originally posted by The Old Man:
quote:
Originally posted by Kathy H.:

Ugh, tribute bands. Better to see LOVE in Las Vegas which has the gestalt of The Beatles and of the times without imitators.

So I guess you aren't going to see Kofi Baker's Cream Experience in your neck of the woods in early March? Razz
quote:
Originally posted by Vino Bevo:
Sting last weekend. His performance was outstanding, and he had one of my favorite up and coming bands open, The Last Bandoleros. His son Joe was also there and it was wonderful how each of the three acts came out and performed with the others. Great night

I'm a huge fan, and am glad you enjoyed the concert, but his latest album left me flat. Forced myself to listen to it 2 times and thought it was one of the weakest albums of his career. Also, the songs in his set-lists haven't changed much in 5+ years. With that repertoire, he should mix it up more, and with his talent he should mix-up the set-list within a tour more- something he rarely does. Not to mention, those tickets are at the top tier for pricing regardless of venue.
Brit Floyd last night. Pretty good 6 member (plus 3 backup singers) tribute band, talented musicians more or less true to the original tunes (of which they played 25) though they went their own way a bit more than once. And video/lights/lasers were much like what the originals did, or so I've read. Not a bad way to spend an evening and $40, especially if you love Floyd.

Will see Roger Waters in the Fall to compare.....
quote:
Brit Floyd last night. Pretty good 6 member (plus 3 backup singers) tribute band, talented musicians more or less true to the original tunes (of which they played 25) though they went their own way a bit more than once. And video/lights/lasers were much like what the originals did, or so I've read. Not a bad way to spend an evening and $40, especially if you love Floyd.

Will see Roger Waters in the Fall to compare.....

Yeah, saw them myself on Wed night. Good stuff.
quote:
Originally posted by Azwiese:
Social Distortion. A punker still trying to do his thing in his mid-50's. Unfortunately, his energy level and the tempo of his songs have slowed down quite a bit. The pit was non-existent for much of the show. I feel like that was the last time I'll go see them.

Where was Social D playing? I like how Mike Ness is slowing down (like me!).

I feel the same thing about The Damned. When Dave Vanian was busy watching the TV during a H of B show, I decided I'll stay at home and watch TV next time they come around! But Captain Sensible, was wonderfully un-Sensible, as always.
quote:
Originally posted by Racer117:
Where was Social D playing? I like how Mike Ness is slowing down (like me!).

It was the Observatory in North Park. Cool venue, but I've been there for a couple of punk shows and the sounds has been brutal. Once it was too much guitar and distortion (Pennywise) and the second it just wasn't loud enough.
Headed out to Indio for the annual Country Coachella (Stagecoach). Decent lineup, with the headliners being Dierks Bentley, Kenny Chesney, Willie Nelson, and some others. Definitely not as good as years past. The real highlight will be watching the young whippersnappers trying to party in the blazing desert sun. Say what you will about the music, but the people watching is, without a doubt, the best in the world.
quote:
Originally posted by Azwiese:
Headed out to Indio for the annual Country Coachella (Stagecoach). Decent lineup, with the headliners being Dierks Bentley, Kenny Chesney, Willie Nelson, and some others. Definitely not as good as years past. The real highlight will be watching the young whippersnappers trying to party in the blazing desert sun. Say what you will about the music, but the people watching is, without a doubt, the best in the world.

Dierks puts on a great show...and would be better if he'd stop trying to be Kenny Cheney with Somewhere on a Beach and Drunk on a plane. Great stuff otherwise Smile
Trying to persuade mrs bman that we should make the 5 hour drive to Toronto to see Hall and Oates and Tears for Fears in late June. Saw the latter 30+ years ago at Radio City and would love to see them again. And who doesn't love the pop classics of Hall and Oates? (mrs bman, apparently, at least not enough to make the road trip..... Frown )
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
quote:
Originally posted by The Old Man:
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
quote:
And who doesn't love the pop classics of Hall and Oates?

I'll play too.

This from a guy who is unsound on so many artists. Roll Eyes Frown To quote the Leader of the Free World, "SAD!" Wink Razz
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
They weren't favorites of mine, but I think Darryl Hall had some singing talent. There are loads of people with less singing talent than him who are widely adored (ie Willy Nelson, Bob Dylan).

Dylan doesn't just have less singing talent, he has NO singing talent. His songs sound best when someone else sings them Smile
quote:
Originally posted by Pinotlvr:

Dierks puts on a great show...and would be better if he'd stop trying to be Kenny Cheney with Somewhere on a Beach and Drunk on a plane. Great stuff otherwise Smile

I agree. He does have some great songs, and he doesn't need to be a Kenny Chesney. There are enough summertime, drinking on a beach songs.

Stagecoach was ok. Dierks was good, Kenny Chesney was solid as usual, and everyone I was with loved Willie Nelson, though I'm not that big of a country guy to want to see a whole concert of his. In the same regard, I don't know any Travis Tritt songs, but I know he's a star from the 90's and I thought he was pretty good. Thomas Rhett is the next pop-country superstar. I'm not so sure he's even playing any country. He's really just a pop star. Of the people I'd never seen, I really like Nikki Lane and Jamey Johnson.
quote:
Originally posted by Julie D:
quote:
I'd love to go to Daryl's house. Still wondering where my invite is?

Ditto!

The guy doesn't get nearly enough credit as a singer. He may not be to everyone's taste, but it's hard to deny the skill and soul in his singing.

We recently watched a Hall & Oates concert DVD recorded in Dublin in 2014 and he's singing nearly as well now as in the 70s. I think the only thing that was out of his range was the extended high note at the start of the final chorus of "She's Gone". They rearranged it and he took a lower harmony while the other band members did the other harmony parts.

Pretty amazing, considering the guy is 70.

John Oates, on the other hand, seems to have real vocal problems these days. His range is shot, and his voice is very gravelly. He sang a fair number of their early songs - especially on Abandoned Luncheonette.
quote:
Originally posted by Primordialsoup:
quote:

Pick a show. I live less than an hour away.

Im guessing you are referring to Daryl's House in Pawling NY which looks like a very cool club with a nice line up. If I was in the area Id gladly join you but I was actually referring to Daryl Hall's actual house where he hosts musicians and has a show broadcast on MTV Classic.
quote:
Originally posted by thelostverse:
We saw Paul Thorn last night at City Winery in Chicago. I've been a fan for a long time, but the live show exceeded my expectations. A great show at a great venue.

Jealous! I think we've talked about this, but big fan here too. Saw him open for Bonnie Raitt a few years ago and while she was great (as always), he stole the show for me.
quote:
quote:
We saw Paul Thorn last night at City Winery in Chicago. I've been a fan for a long time, but the live show exceeded my expectations. A great show at a great venue.

Jealous! I think we've talked about this, but big fan here too. Saw him open for Bonnie Raitt a few years ago and while she was great (as always), he stole the show for me.

I remember discussing it in the past. City Winery is a small venue with about 300 seats and the sound is excellent. This tour is celebrating the anniversary of the Hammer and Nail release, so the entire first set was that album. The second set delved into some other rowdy songs, and closed with Mission Temple Fireworks Stand. Really an excellent night.
quote:
Originally posted by Jcocktosten:
quote:

Cool. Coincidentally heard What The Hell Is Goin’ On in the car this AM

He played this last night. It was the only time he came close to political talk. Wink
quote:
quote:
quote:

Pick a show. I live less than an hour away.

Im guessing you are referring to Daryl's House in Pawling NY which looks like a very cool club with a nice line up. If I was in the area Id gladly join you but I was actually referring to Daryl Hall's actual house where he hosts musicians and has a show broadcast on MTV Classic.

Yes, East Coast here. MTV still broadcasts (heheh)?
Last night, Pink Martini, accompanied by the Vancouver Symphony Orchestra. Excellent show!

I've heard their music before but have never seen Pink Martini on video or live. I did not know that 4 of the 8 musicians are percussionists; I loved the sound they produced, and their lead vocalist (China) was in top form.

This was not the kind of music that I usually seek out, but I really enjoyed them last night. We're listening to them again this morning with our coffee, and I must say they're growing on me.
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:
Last night, Pink Martini, accompanied by the Vancouver Symphony Orchestra. Excellent show!

I've heard their music before but have never seen Pink Martini on video or live. I did not know that 4 of the 8 musicians are percussionists; I loved the sound they produced, and their lead vocalist (China) was in top form.

This was not the kind of music that I usually seek out, but I really enjoyed them last night. We're listening to them again this morning with our coffee, and I must say they're growing on me.

Seaquam,
I'm a recent convert to Pink Martini as well. They're playing at the Chateau Ste. Michelle winery Sept. 9th and 10th. I have tickets for the 9th. You and the Mrs. could come down and join us?
quote:
Originally posted by mneeley490:
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:

Seaquam,
I'm a recent convert to Pink Martini as well. They're playing at the Chateau Ste. Michelle winery Sept. 9th and 10th. I have tickets for the 9th. You and the Mrs. could come down and join us?

I think we could possibly do that. I'll shoot you an email.
Been to two concerts in the last week and a half, and they couldn't be more opposite in terms of style.

The Chainsmokers are the hippest DJs these days and somehow they managed to put out an album. I've seen them before and this time they were in an arena. The show itself was pretty fun, lots of laser light action and thumping beats. Kind of like a wine from Paso, it was big and crowd pleasing, but not much in terms of sophistication.

I saw Chris Stapleton last night. Man he is awesome. You don't even have to like country to love what that guy does. If you haven't heard his new album, you should definitely check it out. His voice and his songs are top notch. I feel like my entire summer will be spent listening to his music and drinking some fine whiskey on the deck.
quote:
quote:
U2 at The Rose Bowl

Impression? Seeing them for the 1st time in just under 2 weeks at Soldier Field. We'll be on the field.

Sure but with some caveats. Ive seen then over 20 times going back to early 80's so I do have some biases. While I strongly prefer the more intimate arena shows, any U2 concert is always a great experience and this one was as I love the album. I had 4 tix but ended up selling two and taking my 13 year old daughter as she's been dying to see them. My son bailed for a prom a week before and my GF/her son werent interested. I had seats in the back corner but lower bowl which provided a great vantage point for the staging and multi media. Had I not planned on taking kids my preference is ALWAYS GA on the floor/field so you made a good choice and should enjoy that aspect. I also always stand on the left (looking at the stage) as that is where The Edge plays and he is a major part of the show for me. I'd recommend that highly. Im kinda torn between trying to be up close to the stage vs a little back to enjoy the backdrop during the Joshua Tree album. Thats up to you but both would be great.

On to the show. They open with 4 or 5 five songs on a smaller B stage which extends out into the field. Great songs but stripped down with no special production. This was my least favorite part of the show. Mostly due to my vantage point (similar to 117 at Soldier Field) but up close down on the field would be very different and far better. If you can snuggle up on the field left of that B stage but behind the red zone you would be in prime position.

After that they went back to the main stage and played the Joshua Tree straight through with a massive video screen playing a staring role. This was my favorite part of the show by far. I also loved hearing the lesser played B side songs as that was a big treat for this long time fan.

Once they finished the album they took their bows and left for a break before encores. They typically take a 10 minute break and the guy I sold the tickets to expecting that left for bathroom break but they came back a minute or two later so dont do what he did.

They played 7 songs in the encore set of which I stayed for only 3 and listened to the rest on our way out because i had to get my daughter home for an early audition call back and getting out of the Rose Bowl with over 90,000 people would have been a 2 to 3 hour nightmare. Without kids Id plan on staying for the whole thing as any surprises would likely come here and Soldier Field has better egress. The show should be 22 to 23 songs. Expect them to hit the stage around 8:40 and off promptly around 11:00.

Sound quality was a bit of an issue on themassive outdoor facility compared with indoor shows but still solid. They are still working their way through some kinks but should be more finely tuned by CHI.

Overall expect a very fun but structured and predictable show (www.u2gigs.com will give you a pretty spot on set list) with some political commentary sprinkled through out.

I checked the seating chart for your show. If you are able to Id shoot to stand in the general area in front of sections 140 to 136 about 1/3rd of the way in from the stands. If yu want to try for closer have at it but that would be my prime location for a show like this.

Enjoy the lads!
My pleasure Bill. The B stage is also usually only 3 or 4 feet above the floor so very accessible for shorter folks (I have a few as well).

Enjoy the Cleveland show VB! Im sure you will. You should try to connect with patespo if you can. He's a great guy and going also. He also brings the home court advantage though tonight the Cavs proved that to be less valuable in Cleveland
Porgy & Bess In Concert last night at Soulpepper Theatre.

Five phenomenal singers (including Jackie Richardson) and a 4-piece jazz combo featuring some of T.O.'s best players doing a concert of tunes from the Gershwin production, along with narration that sets the time & place and tells the story of the creation of the opera.

An extra performance was just added next Friday. If you're in Toronto and are free that night, it's a must-see.
I ticked off a bucket list show by seeing U2 last night at Soldier Field. They are not my favorite band and I'm generally not a fan of large stadium shows, but holy crap, this was incredible. It is easily in my top 5 all-time concert experiences.

We had general admission tickets on the field. We stood about mid-field, slightly left looking at the stage. We were next to a lighting/camera/spotlight tower that also included a slightly raised viewing platform for those who purchased "premium" tickets. It was nice to have a rail to keep others only on one side of it, and there was also a rubber/plastic edge around it that we could stand on. The extra couple inches of height aided my short wife. Smile

As Bomba noted above, they started with a few songs on a small stage that was a little out in the field connected to the main stage by a ramp. While there, they played only with minimalist lighting. It was a cool way to start before returning to the incredibly wide main stage that had a fantastic media screen behind it. I don't normally like large screens and prefer to focus on the performers, but this setup was incredibly well-integrated. A mixture of film, images, and live camera shots of the band while they played through the entire Joshua Tree album. I had not listened to it in a really, really long time. What an incredible piece of music, from start to finish. Rather than feel like you were watching a music video or a band on screens from miles away, they did a great job of making this feel closer to an arena show rather than a football stadium. The crowd all the way up to the rafters was on their feet the entire show. Sound was excellent from the start, and quite loud without being painful. Bono's voice was mostly great the whole time. A few slight cracks, but the dude is 57 and has been doing this a long time. Adam and Larry Jr. laid a great foundation and I thought the drum and bass mix were perfect. The Edge is The Edge - it was nice to see him get really animated during the livelier or heavier songs. Great backing vocals as well. Whatever you think of Bono's grandstanding, politicking or whatever, he is one of the greatest frontmen I've witnessed live. He had every person in the stadium engaged. Bullet The Blue Sky was my favorite performance of the setlist.

I have to give some kudos to the organization at Soldier Field, and I really expected somewhat of a cluster***k. I've been to one show before this one where GA ticket holders needed the credit card from the purchase for entry, and it took about 45 minutes in line to get in the United Center. I was NOT looking forward to a repeat at a facility with triple the capacity. They had a great setup last night as far as number of security/x-ray lines, credit card swipers, and people giving out the field access wristbands. We got parked a few minutes before gates opened at 5. I was getting anxious when I saw the massive queue of people at the GA entrance section, but we were inside with wristbands within 15 minutes. I was a little shocked, because it often seems in Chicago that those organizing large things can find a way to f*** up water cups and napkin dispensers. There were also a LOT or beverage vending stations on the field - mostly ringing the front row of the seating bowl but also next to some lighting/sound towers. Also, those with field access were able to go into a long, huge tunnel in the bowels of the stadium that had a ridiculous number of porta-johns. No waiting despite a capacity crowd with a huge number of people on the field. Kudos to the organizers - this was really well executed. Unfortunately, a new reality is seeing a lot of police with a lot of military-looking firepower. Thanks to them for keeping us safe.

Forumites going to see this tour are in for a hell of a treat.
Glad you loved it and happy to see you were able to use some of my tips. For an event this large you were standing in the perfect spot to take it all in. The Rose Bowl had a similar set up. The U2 production and design crew really set the standard for not just staging but how they set up the whole experience and facility.

But dont cross them off your bucket list just yet! If you get a chance to see them at an arena show you will be blown away by how much intensity the music picks up. As a pretty agnostic guy its about the closest to a religious experience I get. Hope you get a chance to do that someday too!
quote:
quote:
U2 at The Rose Bowl

Catching them in July at FirstEnergy Stadium in Cleveland with some friends who just moved there. Thanks for the great summary D - looking forward to it!

VB just saw this. My wife and I are going to the show, would love to meet for a drink beforehand. Shoot me an email at pespos7508 at aol dot com
quote:
I ticked off a bucket list show by seeing U2 last night at Soldier Field. They are not my favorite band and I'm generally not a fan of large stadium shows, but holy crap, this was incredible. It is easily in my top 5 all-time concert experiences.

We had general admission tickets on the field. We stood about mid-field, slightly left looking at the stage. We were next to a lighting/camera/spotlight tower that also included a slightly raised viewing platform for those who purchased "premium" tickets. It was nice to have a rail to keep others only on one side of it, and there was also a rubber/plastic edge around it that we could stand on. The extra couple inches of height aided my short wife. Smile

As Bomba noted above, they started with a few songs on a small stage that was a little out in the field connected to the main stage by a ramp. While there, they played only with minimalist lighting. It was a cool way to start before returning to the incredibly wide main stage that had a fantastic media screen behind it. I don't normally like large screens and prefer to focus on the performers, but this setup was incredibly well-integrated. A mixture of film, images, and live camera shots of the band while they played through the entire Joshua Tree album. I had not listened to it in a really, really long time. What an incredible piece of music, from start to finish. Rather than feel like you were watching a music video or a band on screens from miles away, they did a great job of making this feel closer to an arena show rather than a football stadium. The crowd all the way up to the rafters was on their feet the entire show. Sound was excellent from the start, and quite loud without being painful. Bono's voice was mostly great the whole time. A few slight cracks, but the dude is 57 and has been doing this a long time. Adam and Larry Jr. laid a great foundation and I thought the drum and bass mix were perfect. The Edge is The Edge - it was nice to see him get really animated during the livelier or heavier songs. Great backing vocals as well. Whatever you think of Bono's grandstanding, politicking or whatever, he is one of the greatest frontmen I've witnessed live. He had every person in the stadium engaged. Bullet The Blue Sky was my favorite performance of the setlist.

I have to give some kudos to the organization at Soldier Field, and I really expected somewhat of a cluster***k. I've been to one show before this one where GA ticket holders needed the credit card from the purchase for entry, and it took about 45 minutes in line to get in the United Center. I was NOT looking forward to a repeat at a facility with triple the capacity. They had a great setup last night as far as number of security/x-ray lines, credit card swipers, and people giving out the field access wristbands. We got parked a few minutes before gates opened at 5. I was getting anxious when I saw the massive queue of people at the GA entrance section, but we were inside with wristbands within 15 minutes. I was a little shocked, because it often seems in Chicago that those organizing large things can find a way to f*** up water cups and napkin dispensers. There were also a LOT or beverage vending stations on the field - mostly ringing the front row of the seating bowl but also next to some lighting/sound towers. Also, those with field access were able to go into a long, huge tunnel in the bowels of the stadium that had a ridiculous number of porta-johns. No waiting despite a capacity crowd with a huge number of people on the field. Kudos to the organizers - this was really well executed. Unfortunately, a new reality is seeing a lot of police with a lot of military-looking firepower. Thanks to them for keeping us safe.

I'm glad you enjoyed the show, Bill.
quote:
If you get a chance to see them at an arena show you will be blown away by how much intensity the music picks up.

As a pretty agnostic guy its about the closest to a religious experience I get.

So true - while their stadium shows are incredible, the arena shows I've seen have been, for me, emotionally and spiritually transformative.

We must discuss this further the next time we share a glass of wine. Cool
Over the last 10 days:
Michael Kiwanuka (in Boston)- great voice, great music.

Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds (in NJ)- maybe I'm getting too old for these drunkfests. After paying a big premium to be inside and seated rather than be on the lawn (we were just before the rail and a walkway) some clowns in the row behind the walkway thought it was a good idea to throw chunks of ice at people standing in their way shortly after the show started. Jersey class all the way. After being pelted twice I stepped over the rail and we had a nice conversation. The rest of the show was very good.
quote:
Over the last 10 days:
Michael Kiwanuka (in Boston)- great voice, great music.

Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds (in NJ)- maybe I'm getting too old for these drunkfests. After paying a big premium to be inside and seated rather than be on the lawn (we were just before the rail and a walkway) some clowns in the row behind the walkway thought it was a good idea to throw chunks of ice at people standing in their way shortly after the show started. Jersey class all the way. After being pelted twice I stepped over the rail and we had a nice conversation. The rest of the show was very good.

DMB fans are known to be unshaven, unbathed and uneducated. Like people in Cleveland!
quote:
Originally posted by patespo1:
quote:
quote:
U2 at The Rose Bowl

Catching them in July at FirstEnergy Stadium in Cleveland with some friends who just moved there. Thanks for the great summary D - looking forward to it!

VB just saw this. My wife and I are going to the show, would love to meet for a drink beforehand. Shoot me an email at pespos7508 at aol dot com

Sorry for the delay - just saw this. Email sent as we'd love to meet up as well!
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
U2 at The Rose Bowl

Sorry for the delay - just saw this. Email sent as we'd love to meet up as well!

Got your email, response coming. You are in for a treat, the show in Pittsburgh last week was amazing.
quote:

Saw the Pittsburgh show Wednesday (yes, had to put up with the locals from Shitsburgh, but whatever).

I can't add much that hasn't already been said, but it was a terrific effort. Hearing the Joshua Tree from start to finish reminded me what a masterpiece it is. I would agree that the version of Bullet in the Blue Sky was amazing.

I liked the first few songs on the small stage quite a bit, I thought the opening song Sunday Bloody Sunday kicked off the show just right.

Can't wait to see them again in Cleveland July 1
Moody Blues 50th Anniversary Tour last night at Ch. Ste. Michelle winery. Great music, but I can't say it's the best concert I've ever been to. There was a projection behind them for most of the show, with a slideshow of pics of what they looked like back in their heyday. Probably wasn't the best idea, and (though I hate to say it) seemed a little lame. I've seen way better production from rank amateurs on YouTube.
They finished of course with Knights in White Satin, the poem being read by a recorded Jeremy Irons. That was a good choice. I'd give the music an A, production a C-. Mind you, my friend and I split 4 bottles between us during the concert.
While in Vegas on Friday night, we saw the Doobie Brothers and Chicago. I enjoy the Doobie Brothers, but never really considered myself a fan. They were excellent.

Chicago on the other hand, has always played a major part in my music. The first song my wife and I ever danced to (in 8th grade) was Color My World. I've always loved the brass in the Chicago catalog. Even though these guys are getting up there in age, this show was exceptional.

The final two guitar riffs that started the final song in each respective encore were probably two of the most recognizable in classic rock. China Grove for the Doobies and 25 Or 6 To 4 for Chicago.

What a great night, and the Park Theater at the Monte Carlo was a great venue for the show.
quote:
While in Vegas on Friday night, we saw the Doobie Brothers and Chicago. I enjoy the Doobie Brothers, but never really considered myself a fan. They were excellent.

Chicago on the other hand, has always played a major part in my music. The first song my wife and I ever danced to (in 8th grade) was Color My World. I've always loved the brass in the Chicago catalog. Even though these guys are getting up there in age, this show was exceptional.

The final two guitar riffs that started the final song in each respective encore were probably two of the most recognizable in classic rock. China Grove for the Doobies and 25 Or 6 To 4 for Chicago.

What a great night, and the Park Theater at the Monte Carlo was a great venue for the show.

Catching this show on Saturday out at the Circuit of the Americas amphitheater. Looking forward to it even more now.
quote:
quote:

Catching this show on Saturday out at the Circuit of the Americas amphitheater. Looking forward to it even more now.

We seem to share musical tastes a bit VB, so I hope you like it. Chicago played for over two hours with a 15 minute break. Enjoy.
quote:
quote:
quote:

.....but I love Hard to say I'm Sorry!

They played it, but thankfully not too many songs from that era.

Yea, I saw them last year with Earth, Wind & Fire...and they played it too..and yes, showed restraint with songs from Chicago 16 and 17.

The singer in my last band (before I got out of the music biz), Neil Donell, was close to being hired as Chicago's new singer last spring. It was between him and the guy they eventually hired. The Chicago guys are class acts, though, and when they toured through Ontario and Quebec last summer they invited him to sit in and sing with them at each of those shows.

He'll be sitting in again when they play in Toronto this summer.

Here's a clip with him from Montreal last summer doing You're the Inspiration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmZRXrHDj7g
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

.....but I love Hard to say I'm Sorry!

They played it, but thankfully not too many songs from that era.

Yea, I saw them last year with Earth, Wind & Fire...and they played it too..and yes, showed restraint with songs from Chicago 16 and 17.

The singer in my last band (before I got out of the music biz), Neil Donell, was close to being hired as Chicago's new singer last spring. It was between him and the guy they eventually hired. The Chicago guys are class acts, though, and when they toured through Ontario and Quebec last summer they invited him to sit in and sing with them at each of those shows.

He'll be sitting in again when they play in Toronto this summer.

Here's a clip with him from Montreal last summer doing You're the Inspiration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmZRXrHDj7g

That's pretty cool. The guy that got the gig, Jeff Coffey, is pretty good himself, and is a dead ringer for Owen Wilson.
quote:
Just purchased our tickets to see Hall & Oates with St. Paul & the Broken Bones in September. Prior to that show we've got U2 in July followed shortly by Don Henley's 70th birthday concert. I'm rather excited about the next 90 days.

Nice, VB!

I'm joining a couple forum members in September for the U2 show in Phoenix.
quote:
Originally posted by gigabit:
quote:
Just purchased our tickets to see Hall & Oates with St. Paul & the Broken Bones in September. Prior to that show we've got U2 in July followed shortly by Don Henley's 70th birthday concert. I'm rather excited about the next 90 days.

Nice, VB!

I'm joining a couple forum members in September for the U2 show in Phoenix.

Tried to join you guys but I'll be in Napa with my wife on 9/19. Hoping to catch up with VB before the July 1 show
quote:
Just picked up tickets for U2 in Buffalo in September, to go with tickets for both McCartney in Detroit and Roger Waters in Ottawa the first week of October. Add in the start of football and I will be spending a few weeks as giddy as a little girl!

I'm gonna see McCartney in about 2 weeks Smile Sadly McCartney, Waters and Rod Stewart are all in Tampa within 4 days of each other..so since I must take my wife to Rod...I had to skip Waters as I don't think I can muster the energy to hit 3 shows in 4 days.
quote:
quote:
Just picked up tickets for U2 in Buffalo in September, to go with tickets for both McCartney in Detroit and Roger Waters in Ottawa the first week of October. Add in the start of football and I will be spending a few weeks as giddy as a little girl!

I'm gonna see McCartney in about 2 weeks Smile Sadly McCartney, Waters and Rod Stewart are all in Tampa within 4 days of each other..so since I must take my wife to Rod...I had to skip Waters as I don't think I can muster the energy to hit 3 shows in 4 days.

Can't do 3 shows in 4 days = wussie...... Wink
quote:
quote:
quote:

I was thinking the same thing. Three shows where everyone sits the whole time! Big Grin
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I was thinking the same thing. Three shows where everyone sits the whole time! Big Grin

And the guy not only goes to multiple Iron Maiden shows but travels around the country to see them! Sad!! Razz Wink
quote:

And the guy not only goes to multiple Iron Maiden shows but travels around the country to see them! Sad!! Razz Wink

Its about priorities! Not to mention crowd avoidance...its the energy needed to deal with the crowd for 3 out of 4 nights...not the energy needed to sit in my seats for 3 shows..LOL

Though since I'm used to Maiden shows, which one does not sit during, I might have to stand for these to the annoyance of the geriatric crowd around me.
Had great seats for the Bruno Mars show at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas last night. This was for the closing night party of the Cisco Live conference. He and his band played most of their hits over the span of 75 minutes. They wisely only played one ballad (When I Was Your Man), as the crowd was predominantly male.

As per their rep, BM and his band put on a high-energy show and definitely connected with the crowd. I doubt anyone left thinking the show was boring or a waste of time.
quote:
Originally posted by fusionstorm:
Had great seats for the Bruno Mars show at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas last night. This was for the closing night party of the Cisco Live conference. He and his band played most of their hits over the span of 75 minutes. They wisely only played one ballad (When I Was Your Man), as the crowd was predominantly male.

As per their rep, BM and his band put on a high-energy show and definitely connected with the crowd. I doubt anyone left thinking the show was boring or a waste of time.

Is this a real post? Bruno Mars? This is horrible music. Do any adults go to his shows without their kids.

"Most of their hits" That was pretty funny.
quote:
Originally posted by Napacat:
Debating buying McCartney tickets for next Friday in Miami. It has been at least 25 years since I saw him live.

Thinking I have to do it...and hope he plays A Day In The Life! Anyone seen it yet this year?

I might do it just to say I saw him live. But realistically, the last time I saw him perform on TV (I think it was SNL last year), his voice was just gone. It was pretty sad.
quote:
Debating buying McCartney tickets for next Friday in Miami. It has been at least 25 years since I saw him live.

Thinking I have to do it...and hope he plays A Day In The Life! Anyone seen it yet this year?

I was surprised to see on setlist.fm that he played A Day In The Life at Desert Trip. But other than that, the last time he played it was in 2012. Which makes sense, since it's a Lennon song. Sure, McCartney wrote and sang the bridge, but this is about as "Lennon" a song as you can get.
quote:
quote:

I was surprised to see on setlist.fm that he played A Day In The Life at Desert Trip. But other than that, the last time he played it was in 2012. Which makes sense, since it's a Lennon song. Sure, McCartney wrote and sang the bridge, but this is about as "Lennon" a song as you can get.

I think I would go for this song alone. My favourite Beatles song. But missing Lennon's voice would be tough...as I much prefer his to Paul's.
I think all of my favourite Beatles songs...Lennon sings!
quote:
quote:
quote:

I think I would go for this song alone. My favourite Beatles song. But missing Lennon's voice would be tough...as I much prefer his to Paul's.
I think all of my favourite Beatles songs...Lennon sings!

You are Canadian?
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
No...why because of favourite? Proper British spelling!

Are you British?

If so, you don't spell anything else the proper way.

Not British...work with a lot of British people. And my spelling is top notch...save for the occasional type-o here and there.

Clearly that cannot be a top concern of yours? I like that spelling by the way...along with colour.
quote:
quote:
quote:

Are you British?

Not British...work with a lot of British people. And my spelling is top notch...save for the occasional type-o here and there.

Clearly that cannot be a top concern of yours? I like that spelling by the way...along with colour.

TYPO! Roll Eyes
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Are you British?

TYPO! Roll Eyes

Ok to appease you typo
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Are you British?

TYPO! Roll Eyes

Ok to appease you typo

Umm, you were not talking blood type!
quote:
quote:
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Napacat:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by wine+art:

Are you British?

Clearly that cannot be a top concern of yours? I like that spelling by the way...along with

Perhaps...but not really in context. Slow night?
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by wine+art:

Are you British?

Clearly that cannot be a top concern of yours? I like that spelling by the way...along with

Perhaps...but not really in context. Slow night?

You always have an excuse, deflect well and are truly obtuse on your very best day. Big Grin

Congrats. Your president serves you as a fine example that you follow very well.

What were you saying about your ... my spelling is top notch!
quote:
quote:
Napa, hurry. The glue is about to dry on the label for your exquisite Napa wine.

Why would anyone care if someone drinks young wine? Why must the president be brought into every conversation? I voted Republican...still glad I did and will not apologize for it.

You can still pine for Hill.

Clearly he has made you proud!

You don't have a clue who I voted for. You see my simple minded one, there are people who hold people accountable after they are elected, regardless.
quote:
quote:
quote:
Napa, hurry. The glue is about to dry on the label for your exquisite Napa wine.

Why would anyone care if someone drinks young wine? Why must the president be brought into every conversation? I voted Republican...still glad I did and will not apologize for it.

You can still pine for Hill.

Clearly he has made you proud!

You don't have a clue who I voted for. You see my simple minded one, there are people who hold people accountable after they are elected, regardless.

Fair enough...enjoy the back and forth. Have a good night. I think there are many wise people on this forum and I look forward to learning from them.

Cheers
quote:
quote:

Is this a real post? Bruno Mars? This is horrible music. Do any adults go to his shows without their kids.

You've confirmed yet again you are as dumb as you look.

http://www.billboard.com/biz/a...-fastest-male-artist
U2 Saturday night in Cleveland. I enjoyed this a bit more than the Pittsburgh show a few weeks ago, the crowd (and band) seemed a bit more ready to 'rock out'. I think because it was the last show on this leg of the North American tour.

Stunning visuals again accompanied excellent sound. Bono needed a song or two to get his voice warmed up, but the band was on point from start to finish. The Edge absolutely shredded Bullet in the Blue Sky.

I hope Vino Bevo chimes in as he was at the show as well (will meet up next time or down in Austin!).

If you have the opportunity to see the next leg when they come back to North American, you should spend the money and go.
Perfect summary patespo1 - we've seen U2 numerous times over the years and this was one of the best performances we've experienced. Joshua Tree was a transformative album and it brought back so many memories to hear it like we did back in the 80s. The sound quality was outstanding and the crowd was rockin! Excellent show - sad we missed to opportunity to meet but we will rectify that, soon.

Have really enjoyed our time in Cleveland so far. Had a fabulous time at the Museum of Art yesterday. First time here and won't be the last.
quote:
quote:
quote:

Another childish post...personallly insulting. Continue if that gets you off. I find his music brutal to listen to. My opinion. Actually most of the current music is in a bad place. Look at most responses on this post....almost no current concerts.

No wonder there are not a lot of new members. Some of you just cannot be an adult.
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Another childish post...personallly insulting. Continue if that gets you off. I find his music brutal to listen to. My opinion. Actually most of the current music is in a bad place. Look at most responses on this post....almost no current concerts.

No wonder there are not a lot of new members. Some of you just cannot be an adult.

Your response to fusionstorm's post was rude and insulting. What makes you think that your taste in music is so awesome that you have the right to criticize others' taste? No wonder members here jump on newbies. Some of you just cannot be an adult.
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Your response to fusionstorm's post was rude and insulting. What makes you think that your taste in music is so awesome that you have the right to criticize others' taste? No wonder members here jump on newbies. Some of you just cannot be an adult.

Sunny, you are correct. The man is completely obtuse.

His post was highly confrontational and aggressive as opposed to simply ignoring the post altogether or simply offering an opinion.

It is not a leap of faith to see why he supports Trump. They both see the world in a hyper myopic way, lacks the ability to articulate a position, changes what he says time and time again when it is pointed out he is simply wrong.

Now, the entire forum is at fault, not himself. Sound familiar? Big Grin
quote:
U2 Saturday night in Cleveland. I enjoyed this a bit more than the Pittsburgh show a few weeks ago, the crowd (and band) seemed a bit more ready to 'rock out'. I think because it was the last show on this leg of the North American tour.

Stunning visuals again accompanied excellent sound. Bono needed a song or two to get his voice warmed up, but the band was on point from start to finish. The Edge absolutely shredded Bullet in the Blue Sky.

I hope Vino Bevo chimes in as he was at the show as well (will meet up next time or down in Austin!).

If you have the opportunity to see the next leg when they come back to North American, you should spend the money and go.

Saw them in Toronto a few weeks ago. Wonderful show and as everyone has said, while it's my least favorite song on the album, they absolutely rocked Bullet in the Blue Sky. Got the bucket list check mark (one I never thought I was going to get to check) of hearing Redhill mining town live. Even though I don't like the remix they did it was still that song and live so...

Bono's voice is shot unfortunately. I've heard him many times through the years and that night he couldn't hit a number of notes and either went down an octave, had the Edge fill in or the crowd did. He was also a bar early in three different songs which was surprising.

Still, great show and the Lumineers were a great opening.
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Sutherland:
Was just offered fantastic seats to see Korn. Doesn't matter how great the seats are and the fact that they were free, you would have to pay me a fairly significant amount of money to attend.

Great of the guy to offer but...

Saw them a long time ago. Though I've only spent a few hours with you, I can see Korn not being your thing. Big Grin

Guessing Bono just had a bad night or maybe a cold for your U2 show. He sounded really good when we saw them last month.
Rob - I thought Bono's voice was a bit off the first song or two in Cleveland as well, and figured since it was the last of their North American stops maybe he was just strained/tired. By the third or fourth song he was warmed up though and absolutely slayed it, hitting all the notes. Maybe just an off night in Toronto?

I'm with you 100% on Red Hill Mining Town, and I also enjoyed hearing Bad live for the first time (at least that I can remember). Fabulous show!
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Sutherland:
Was just offered fantastic seats to see Korn. Doesn't matter how great the seats are and the fact that they were free, you would have to pay me a fairly significant amount of money to attend.

Great of the guy to offer but...

Saw them a long time ago. Though I've only spent a few hours with you, I can see Korn not being your thing. Big Grin

Guessing Bono just had a bad night or maybe a cold for your U2 show. He sounded really good when we saw them last month.

Are you saying Rob wouldn't make a good Freak on a Leash? I guess I'd see Korn for free, but wouldn't pay to see them.

This weekend is a geriatric weekend for me...Rod Stewart tomorrow night (for wife) and Monday (yea, I know not weekend), Paul McCartney (for me)

Need to start clearing some of my backlog:

July:
Rod Stewart
Paul McCartney
Ratt

August:
Lionel Ritchie

September:
Green Day
Brad Paisley
Last edited by pinotlvr
Last night in Dallas - Don Henley's 70th birthday party. He and his band played music from the last 40+ years with special guests Timothy B. Schmit, Patty Smyth, Joe Walsh and Stevie Nicks. Honestly one of the best performances I've seen in the last 20 years. Everyone on stage was having a blast and the crowd was unreal. The night ended with a rocking cover of Birthday from the Beatles. Great night!
quote:
Last night in Dallas - Don Henley's 70th birthday party. He and his band played music from the last 40+ years with special guests Timothy B. Schmit, Patty Smyth, Joe Walsh and Stevie Nicks. Honestly one of the best performances I've seen in the last 20 years. Everyone on stage was having a blast and the crowd was unreal. The night ended with a rocking cover of Birthday from the Beatles. Great night!

Sounds awesome! My old neighbor who moved back to Dallas was there also and loved it too.
80's time warp as I saw Ratt at the HOB in Orlando. First concert I ever went to was Ratt in 1987, so it was more for sentimental reasons. 30 years later made for an enjoyable show for that reason...and they sounded better than I had anticipated. Pearcy never had the greatest voice and it hasn't aged well either, but with many songs being crowd sing-a-longs...it was enjoyable evening..despite the HOB really packing people in like sardines. Damn, I'd have gladly paid $10 extra to have a few less people in the place.
Went up to Santa Barbara to watch Slightly Stoopid at the Santa Barbara Bowl. What a great venue. I hope to make it back again.

Headed out to Austin this weekend to see them again at Whitewater Amphitheater in New Braunfels. I hear that venue is really cool and fun. Bummed that it's so far out of Austin. It's crushing my happy hour.

Following that up with a country show (Randy Rogers Band) in Austin on Saturday. Stoked to see a local country band in the heart of Texas. My first time in Texas, I want the real deal.