quote:
Originally posted by Pinotlvr:
Last night saw Iron Maiden at BB&T Center in South Florida. Amazing show but WOW did the the venue fall flat on its face. They couldn't seemingly get people in the door as the credit card entry system was malfunctioning. Was total chaos once inside.

So, in other words, there was the usual chaos, just for an additional reason this time?
Sold my tickets for Bruce in L.A. this Thursday to a friend who hasn't seen him before. Having seen the tour once in Florida last month I just didn't want to see the first two hours of the show again where he plays The River album straight through. Still one of my all time favorite band, just not this tour.

Looking forward to going to The Who's farewell tour in May. It will be the fourth farewell tour of theirs I've been to over the last twenty years.
quote:
Originally posted by BOMBA503:
Sold my tickets for Bruce in L.A. this Thursday to a friend who hasn't seen him before. Having seen the tour once in Florida last month I just didn't want to see the first two hours of the show again where he plays The River album straight through. Still one of my all time favorite band, just not this tour.

Looking forward to going to The Who's farewell tour in May. It will be the fourth farewell tour of theirs I've been to over the last twenty years.

I remember being disappointed not to have tickets to their first farewell show at Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto in 1981, I think it was. Especially since I lived a block behind the Gardens and heard everyone passing by on their way to the show.

Seen them twice since and would see them again if they came to town.
Bonnie Raitt at the Sony Centre tonight. 4th row centre.

She was as wonderful as always, and she was having a great time. But as good as she was, I was blindsided by how good the openers were. Had never heard of them, but holy mother of G, they had me grinning from ear to ear.

The California Honeydrops

Vinoevelo, you have to check them out. You'll love them.

http://youtu.be/-xEOfdqGCmY

http://youtu.be/zxHnSy1YmBs

http://youtu.be/L10kR8b5MIc
Stepped out of my zone a bit (wife's choice) to see Chicago with Earth, Wind & Fire. Overall, a very entertaining show. Chicago did a very balanced set from classic oldies up to the sugary poppy 80's ballads...but definitely favored their 70's stuff overall.
quote:
Originally posted by Primordialsoup:
quote:
Originally posted by Deryl1:
David Gilmour
Hollywood Bowl
Still has it
Best concert in years
David Crosby guests
So does he

Sweet. My cousin made the 1st show. We'll see him in NYC next month.

No opener. Two sets with an intermission,3 songs encore. Lots of old PF stuff.
The Smashing Pumpkins at the Ace Hotel in LA last weekend:

With James Iha making a return & Jimmy back on drums, this was an incredible show. Unbiased from the Pumpkins being my favorite band, I'd easily say that this one was of the best live performances I have ever seen.
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
Bonnie Raitt at the Sony Centre tonight. 4th row centre.

She was as wonderful as always, and she was having a great time. But as good as she was, I was blindsided by how good the openers were. Had never heard of them, but holy mother of G, they had me grinning from ear to ear.

The California Honeydrops

Vinoevelo, you have to check them out. You'll love them.

http://youtu.be/-xEOfdqGCmY

http://youtu.be/zxHnSy1YmBs

http://youtu.be/L10kR8b5MIc

The California Honeydrops are great. They'll be back at High Sierra Music Festival in Quincy, CA over the 4th of July. It's a great festival with very talented musicians. I make the road trip from South Dakota every year to meet friends.
quote:
quote:
quote:
David Gilmour
Hollywood Bowl
Still has it
Best concert in years
David Crosby guests
So does he

Sweet. My cousin made the 1st show. We'll see him in NYC next month.

No opener. Two sets with an intermission,3 songs encore. Lots of old PF stuff.

I missed the Anaheim show but friends went and said it was awesome and much closer to authentic PF then when Roger Waters tours.
quote:
Would have thought they worked out the sound kinks in the earlier shows

More electronic/tech issues than overall sound dialing in. Janick's guitar and Bruce's mic had some cutting in and out. And Bruce strained a few times on faster songs. Overall though, no complaints. Other than the stupidity of funneling all of us GA patrons through one entrance.
Andrew Bird with opening band Boogarins.

I"ve seen Andrew Bird before at the Hollywood Bowl with The Decemberists (accompanied by the LA Philharmonic) and he was once again very good but the Boogarins stole the show last night.

They're a Brazilian psychedelic funk/rock band and were really bloody good.
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
Iron Maiden last night at the United Center. Mostly great; a few sound issues. Amazing the energy they can still project. I really enjoyed the set list. Ears are still ringing...

It was after a concert in the 70s that my ears started ringing. It was a few months later I discovered I had tinnitus. All people, especially the young, should take precautions at loud concerts.
quote:
Originally posted by The Old Man:
quote:
Iron Maiden last night at the United Center. Mostly great; a few sound issues. Amazing the energy they can still project. I really enjoyed the set list. Ears are still ringing...

It was after a concert in the 70s that my ears started ringing. It was a few months later I discovered I had tinnitus. All people, especially the young, should take precautions at loud concerts.

This is no joke - good post, TOM.

I probably average less then 2 indoor concerts a year these days. But a few years ago when starting to work out again I brought my iPod with ear buds to the gym, and played it quite loud. I also tend to listen to music in my car pretty loud, when driving alone. I like to actually feel it, and most of my music preferences are towards the heavier side. About a year ago I started noticing a constant ringing in my ears, in the evening at home where it's usually quiet. I'm very certain that this was more due to the earbuds and cranking the car stereo than occasional concerts. I'll blame this for my "hiatus" from working out. Smile I've now kept the volumes in the car much lower.

I really love music, particularly live from the energy you get when a band is performing well and getting into it. I won't avoid going to any shows I want to attend out of fear for my hearing, but I'm definitely more careful about it these days. Other than the ringing, I don't believe I've suffered any "loss" of hearing, although I've not had it checked out by a professional.
I worked quite a few shows in my youth as either a roadie or security and developed serious tinnitus shortly afterwards. Not sure there is a direct connection - my father and grandfather both suffered serious hearing loss in the elder years - but my own hearing has deteriorated to the point that I've worn a hearing aid for 3+ years now. Odds are those working so close to those speakers didn't help.
I was just happy my wife carries extra ear plugs with her as for the Vegas Iron Maiden show, I had to use them. Smaller venue than the Arena in Ft. Lauderdale 4 days prior and it was just too loud to handle without them. I think my ears thank me too. Will probably continue to use when at indoor venues in the future like the 98Rockfest later this month for Disturbed, Shinedown, Chevelle & Ghost
quote:
David Gilmour @ MSG. 3rd row. Loved it.
Maybe an historic concert as he is looking his age and may never have a big tour in North America again. Can still play it though. And how.

How I wish I was there.....

Saw Steve Miller Band tonight at pechanga courtesy of a client. Great venue, good concert..... Not David Gilmour
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
Just bought tickets to see Rob Thomas with Counting Crows in August. Let the hating begin. Big Grin

You could have gotten them cheap with Groupon! (or maybe you already did?)

It was actually the Groupon offer for GA seats that tipped me off to the show but I ended up buying 'real' seats from ticketmaster.
quote:
Originally posted by ThistlinTom:
quote:
Originally posted by haggis:
Going to see Ry Cooder tonight

Great guitarist! One of the first to go digital with Bop Till You Drop.

He was great! Actually, last night was Ry Cooder, Ricky Skaggs, and The Whites on stage together. Amazing set. The only disappointment for me was that Ry played slide on only one song.
quote:
quote:

Remind me to tell you about the time I ended up driving him aimlessly around downtown Toronto......

Looking forward to hearing that story when you visit! I have a story about Green Day.
quote:
Originally posted by ThistlinTom:
quote:

Great guitarist! One of the first to go digital with Bop Till You Drop.

Yes, but he later came out and admitted the recording was not great due to the technology.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
Just bought tickets to see Rob Thomas with Counting Crows in August. Let the hating begin. Big Grin

I have no idea who he is, but he was eaten alive on IZombie last week.

You are the last person I would have thought watched iZombie!
quote:
quote:
quote:

Remind me to tell you about the time I ended up driving him aimlessly around downtown Toronto......

Looking forward to hearing that story when you visit! I have a story about Green Day.

Looking forward to hearing that one! I have a couple of other stories from my very brief career as a roadie.
quote:
quote:

You are the last person I would have thought watched iZombie!

I've watched since the beginning. It's my secret entry into the world of millennials. Also it has Aly Michalka who can get a rise out of an old man.
tornado

I take your point...... Eek
FWIW:

Anyone feeling like he just has too much money can plan a trip to Indio (Coachella) for October 7,8,9. Dylan and Stones on the 7th, McCartney and Neil Young 8th, the Who and Roger Waters on the 9th. Not officially announced yet, but hotels are already booking up @$800+/night. Tickets will be stratospheric, obviously.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by aphilla:
The Bad Plus Joshua Redman tonight at the Old Town School. Awesome.

Isn't that The Bad Plus plus Joshua Redman?

I would have thought. They (well the bass player) referred to themselves as The Bad Plus Joshua Redman twice when introducing themselves so I'm rolling with it.
Joy Formidable
Death Cab for Cutie

Death Cab had a great set. It was outdoors on a warm (80 degrees), humid evening. I have never seen someone perspire more than Ben Gibbard. He constantly bobbed and moved without breaks between songs and within a half hour his entire shirt was completely drenched and water was dripping off his guitar the rest of the set (1:20). He mentioned he had NW blood, but his bandmates looked fine. Certainly didn't affect his performance, which was great, though he may have lost as much water weight as a boxer after a fight.
quote:
98Rockfest in Tampa Friday night - Disturbed, Shinedown, Chevelle & Ghost. Was given free tix for Fort Rock Festival in ft Myers today by radio station so will see Disturbed, Shinedown, 3 Doors Down, Sixx A.M. and Bullet for My Valentine

Are you subjecting L to this one too? Razz
quote:
quote:
98Rockfest in Tampa Friday night - Disturbed, Shinedown, Chevelle & Ghost. Was given free tix for Fort Rock Festival in ft Myers today by radio station so will see Disturbed, Shinedown, 3 Doors Down, Sixx A.M. and Bullet for My Valentine

Are you subjecting L to this one too? Razz

L got a break from both Smile. Took Jr.
A funny few weeks for me.

I went to the "country coachella" and saw some big country acts like Luke Bryan, Eric Church, and Carrie Underwood. Though the highlights for me were some lesser known bands that I've been following for a while (and Chris Stapleton).

I went and saw the Violent Femmes on Friday. There were pretty great if you are a fan (I am).

This weekend I've got three nights of Pennywise as they play each of their first three albums (one album per night), though I can now only make two of those nights.
George Thorogood. He seemed to have a lot more energy and pizzazz this time than the last time I saw him 6 years ago. Most of the hall was on its feet much of the show, including all through the last couple of tunes.

I may have mentioned in another post that I once was a roadie for George in Toronto, in 1980 or so. I worked a few shows and few if any of the artists or their bands or crews ever had much to say to we minions setting up and loading out. But George and a couple of his bandmates chatted with us a bit after the sound check and otherwise over the course of 4 shows over two nights, which was very cool.

George's opening act was a local blues artist named JW Jones who absolutely blew the doors off the hall. He doesn't leave the area much but does tour a bit in the region and in the States, so if you like hard-core blues guitar and get a chance to see him, do it!
This is not a "have been to," but an "am going to" post:

My amazing younger daughter (the older one is amazing, too! Cool ) called me yesterday to announce she just bought my birthday gift: 4 tickets to the 3-day Coachella concert in the desert in October. That is frikkin' awesome!
quote:

My amazing younger daughter (the older one is amazing, too! Cool ) called me yesterday to announce she just bought my birthday gift: 4 tickets to the 3-day Coachella concert in the desert in October. That is frikkin' awesome!

That is an amazing gift! And though you didn't ask for any suggestions, I would totally suggest getting a shuttle pass from the Valley Music Travel group. The shuttles have their own special route out of the venue, and it's pretty seamless (as they do it for all their festivals--Coachella has about 110K people, Stagecoach is closer to 80K). And we just stayed at La Quinta for Stagecoach last month, which is pretty much the closest resort that is available. And it was awesome. Plenty of pools, food, and space to relax. You will have an excellent, amazing time.
quote:

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo envious!!! And even better, your older daughter will now feel obliged to top that gift!! Wink
quote:
Originally posted by Azwiese:
quote:

That is an amazing gift! And though you didn't ask for any suggestions, I would totally suggest getting a shuttle pass from the Valley Music Travel group. The shuttles have their own special route out of the venue, and it's pretty seamless (as they do it for all their festivals--Coachella has about 110K people, Stagecoach is closer to 80K). And we just stayed at La Quinta for Stagecoach last month, which is pretty much the closest resort that is available. And it was awesome. Plenty of pools, food, and space to relax. You will have an excellent, amazing time.

I REALLY appreciate your suggestions, Azweise. We will look into those options. Young Ms Haggis is checking some AirBnB options.
quote:
quote:

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo envious!!! And even better, your older daughter will now feel obliged to top that gift!! Wink

Big Grin excellent point!
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Azwiese:
quote:

I REALLY appreciate your suggestions, Azweise. We will look into those options. Young Ms Haggis is checking some AirBnB options.

You're going to need to work really hard finding a place. Wherever you find some beds, just be prepared for some mighty sticker shock.

I'm in envious and PLEASE report back after the concert. Smile
Last night at The Rose Theatre in Lincoln Center, we saw Wynton Marsalis and The Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra in a tribute to Miles Davis. They did a pretty good job of selecting some of the most "typical" pieces-- though not usually the best-known ones-- from the different decades of Miles's career, wisely ignoring Bitches Brew. Smile

The band is remarkable. There were four trumpets (including Wynton) and if I didn't see all of their fingers moving on the valves at the same time, I would have thought only one was playing. Talk about tight! Almost every musician had a solo at some point, and each was outstanding, but when they played together it was really something to see and hear.

These guys must have rehearsed for a couple of hours before the show. Wow!
quote:
Originally posted by bfw:
Pearl Jam

2 shows in Toronto this week.

As usual, great shows. Tickets from the lead guitarist on Night 2 were a nice surprise!

Bfw

3 more months until seeing them on my birthday at Wrigley Field. They aren't my favorite band, but I've seen them at some memorable shows including Lollapalooza 1992 and the last ever concert in Chicago Stadium - 1994.
I haven't been to a concert in a long time, but Saturday night we went to see Darius Rucker. A band called Dan + Shay opened (there was another opener, but we missed him) and they were pretty darn good as well. Hearing Darius Rucker sing his old Hootie and the Blowfish tunes, as well as his more recent country songs, was great. He ended with a very nice rendition of "Purple Rain" (which again reinforced what a great songwriter Prince was).
quote:
Originally posted by Vino Bevo:
Heading to an outdoor music event tonight with the Old '97s. Shinyribs, which is Kevin Russell's new band after The Gourds broke up, are opening so should be a fun night.

VB would love your impressions of Shinyribs and how much (or little) they sound like The Gourds. My brother in law is a severe Gourdhead; the kind that thinks nothing of driving 12 hours to a show and driving home the next day. I've kind of taken a liking to them by osmosis.
J - highly recommend you and your bro-in-law take a listen to Shinyribs. Compared to The Gourds they're a little more funk (great little horn section) and little less country, and just as entertaining. They opened for the Old 97s and things should have been reversed. Not going to sound exactly like The Gourds but close, and for my taste better. Let me know what you think.
We went to see Andrea Bocelli on Friday night. Amazing show with guest sopranos Renee Fleming and Maria Aleida, as well as Jessica Sanchez from American Idol. She actually performed more songs with Bocelli than the two sopranos, and she did well.

The crowd was a freak show though. Not sure exactly what I was expecting, but I thought it might be an older, more affluent crowd. I was wrong on that one. People of all ages and it looked as though maybe the circus was in town.
quote:
Originally posted by thelostverse:
We went to see Andrea Bocelli on Friday night. Amazing show with guest sopranos Renee Fleming and Maria Aleida, as well as Jessica Sanchez from American Idol. She actually performed more songs with Bocelli than the two sopranos, and she did well.

The crowd was a freak show though. Not sure exactly what I was expecting, but I thought it might be an older, more affluent crowd. I was wrong on that one. People of all ages and it looked as though maybe the circus was in town.

Very nice! Strange crowd though.
quote:
We went to see Andrea Bocelli on Friday night.

Jealous - saw him a few years ago and it was one of the most amazing and moving performances I've ever experienced live. He's coming through these parts again but we've got a conflict and will miss it.
quote:
quote:
Thanks to the Ticketmaster settlement I'll be seeing some shows this summer for free:
Def Leppard

Still a horrendous qpr. Razz

You and I must have to agree to disagree on DL. Loved them as a teen..and their setlist is heavily tilted to those 80's glory days.

All these freebies (my other Def Leppard tickets in May were freebies too) allowed me to afford VIP M&G tickets for Ghost in November Big Grin
quote:
quote:
quote:
Thanks to the Ticketmaster settlement I'll be seeing some shows this summer for free:
Def Leppard

You and I must have to agree to disagree on DL. Loved them as a teen..and their setlist is heavily tilted to those 80's glory days.

All these freebies (my other Def Leppard tickets in May were freebies too) allowed me to afford VIP M&G tickets for Ghost in November Big Grin

All good, and I'm sure you know I'm just having fun with you. Wink The only thing in my area of note was Black Sabbath's "final" tour. I don't like them enough to stand on a grassy slope, even for free. Important band, but...
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Def Leppard

All good, and I'm sure you know I'm just having fun with you. Wink The only thing in my area of note was Black Sabbath's "final" tour. I don't like them enough to stand on a grassy slope, even for free. Important band, but...

What?????????? Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
quote:
Peter Gabriel and Sting @ MSG in NYC. Fantastic concert. Not just rehashed hits, but reworked songs as well as each of them singing each others music. Both bands shared the stage many times- 14 excellent musicians! Also 2 full crews. Fun and well done.

Sounds awesome! I was just offered good tix at face for the Hollywood Bowl. Hopefully I can make it
Paul Simon at Forest Hills Stadium on June 30th. Great setting. Very good show. Terrific musicianship as he and the band reinterpreted his five decade catalog.

The attendees at the rain pelted July 1st show were rewarded with Sounds of Silence and Bridge Over Trouble Waters.

Neil
quote:
Originally posted by Kwbonez:
hey I was there too!!! FKG did say hi but we never saw you. It was a rough night for me, drank way too much.

I was walking the dogs - actually saw you and the gang on Windsor lane but I was bee-lining home to get them out as we did not plan on going and decided at the last minute as we walked past. Quick walk and I biked to the theatre and made with 30 seconds to spare. Was fun
quote:
Originally posted by Neil K.:
Paul Simon at Forest Hills Stadium on June 30th. Great setting. Very good show. Terrific musicianship as he and the band reinterpreted his five decade catalog.

The attendees at the rain pelted July 1st show were rewarded with Sounds of Silence and Bridge Over Trouble Waters.

Neil

What a great place to see him. Could you taste the terrior?
We usually see them a couple of times each year since first seeing them open for the Barenaked Ladies back in the 90's. They always joke about the number of songs they have about Jesus since the three main members are all Jewish.

I'm surprised you've heard of them - almost nobody I ever mention them to has heard of them, or at least remembers them.
quote:
We usually see them a couple of times each year since first seeing them open for the Barenaked Ladies back in the 90's. They always joke about the number of songs they have about Jesus since the three main members are all Jewish.

I'm surprised you've heard of them - almost nobody I ever mention them to has heard of them, or at least remembers them.

I have a bunch of their songs on my playlists. Amsterdam, Satellite etc.
quote:
Originally posted by Jcocktosten:
quote:

I have a bunch of their songs on my playlists. Amsterdam, Satellite etc.

Lost and Gone Forever is one of my favorite albums - Desert Island top five favorite.
Dave Mason, Doobie Brothers and Journey at Molson Amphitheatre on Lake Ontario in Toronto. Really nice outdoor venue but it was stinking hot and humid and quite a hike to get there, especially since I sprained my ankle and twisted my knee a week ago and could only move at a painful snail's pace.

Missed all but the last song by Mason, which was All Along the Watchtower. Doobies were remarkably tight for such a group of oldsters and covered almost all the classics as well as a couple of album cuts from The Captain and Me, one of my favourite albums.

Journey was way too loud and included way too many self-indulgent guitar solos of questionable merit. We almost left about halfway through but had to hear Don't Stop Believin'
quote:
Tedeschi Trucks & Los Lobos last night. Outdoor venues are great in the summer when the weather cooperates.

That must have been great, Tedeschi Trucks is one of the best bands going at the moment. Los Lobos is a favorite, even though much of their music was produced before I was born.
quote:
Just got passes for my daughter and I to see CHIC with Nile Rodgers and Duran Duran tonight at Sleep Train Ampitheatre

Well that took a right turnSmile We got invited to Dance on the stage with Nile Rodgers and Chic to their classic Good Times and got to hang with him after their set. A great fun memory for my daughter.
Went to Way Home festival just north of Barrie. Finally got to see LCD Soundsystem amongst others (Foals, Last Shadow Puppets, Chvrches, Metric, Gary Clark Jr, UMO, Third Eye Blind -that was a throwback). I met a hero in Alex Turner (Arctic Monkeys and LSP) in VIP during Arcade Fire, so that was me all made up.

Back to Osheaga next year though. Pain in the arse getting in and out of a camping festival each day up north.
Last week I went to our big outdoor amphitheater on back-to-back nights to see Weezer one night, and Kenny Chesney the other. Both pretty much played their greatest hits. Really good, but I'd love to see some lesser known songs or a cover song being thrown in there. You can't help to think that they just do the exact same show every single night.
quote:
Originally posted by Winedrmike:
Springsteen played for 4 hours nonstop last night in the meadowlands. He ended the night with jersey girl. For my jersey girl wife (and the other 25,000 jersey girls in attendance) it doesn't get any better.

Very cool! I've only seen him once, and was fortunate it was one of the last shows with the full band. Frown
quote:
quote:
Springsteen played for 4 hours nonstop last night in the meadowlands. He ended the night with jersey girl. For my jersey girl wife (and the other 25,000 jersey girls in attendance) it doesn't get any better.

Very cool! I've only seen him once, and was fortunate it was one of the last shows with the full band. Frown

Being from NJ, I've seen him probably a dozen times. He normally takes requests from the audience, but last night, one of the requests was Santa Claus is coming to town which is a rare treat. He invited the kid that requested it to come up on stage and sing it with him.
quote:
quote:
quote:

Being from NJ, I've seen him probably a dozen times. He normally takes requests from the audience, but last night, one of the requests was Santa Claus is coming to town which is a rare treat. He invited the kid that requested it to come up on stage and sing it with him.

Saw him in Cleveland early this spring, and he played Youngstown, which is a personal favorite of mine based on our family history in the steel industry.
Going to see him again 9/11 in Pittsburgh, can't wait.
A friend of mine saw him in Norway last month and he did almost a 4 hour show as well.
quote:
quote:
Doesn't he only have like 3-4 good songs? Must be a chore to hear 30+ more

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

3-4 more than shit bands like Def Leopard! Razz

What Bill said!

Go pour some sugar on yourself......
quote:
Originally posted by Vino Bevo:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by Fox:
Jeff Beck with Buddy Guy at the Masonic in San Francisco. Great show with guest appearance by Carlos Santana.

Wow.

Indeed - double wow!

Buddy Guy is playing at Deadwood Jam this year on Saturday night with the Motet opening. Alas, I'll be hunting deer with my dad in Nevada. My friends are going to have a great time.
quote:
Please don't encourage him, B. Next thing you know, he takes the bait and we see some "interesting" pictures. on FB. Wink

What would you like to see? My current plan come Sunday will be football related, but since L is going to see Maroon 5, I could give you a sexy pic of Adam Levine instead Smile
quote:
quote:
Please don't encourage him, B. Next thing you know, he takes the bait and we see some "interesting" pictures. on FB. Wink

What would you like to see? My current plan come Sunday will be football related, but since L is going to see Maroon 5, I could give you a sexy pic of Adam Levine instead Smile

Ha! Already seen him/them. One of those good husband things. Smile
quote:
Got tickets to see Garth Brooks in October. He's been on my bucket list for sometime and thought I had marked it off, but his entire stop in Tampa last year was cancelled due to soccer on ice playoffs.

Springsteen may have only had 3-4 good songs, in your opinion, but did Garth ever have any??
Wink
quote:
Originally posted by patespo1:
quote:
Got tickets to see Garth Brooks in October. He's been on my bucket list for sometime and thought I had marked it off, but his entire stop in Tampa last year was cancelled due to soccer on ice playoffs.

Springsteen may have only had 3-4 good songs, in your opinion, but did Garth ever have any??
Wink

Thanks for asking...based on songwriting credits, there are 8, though he didn't write my favorite song that he performs.
Rob Thomas and Counting Crows last night. You forget how many hits Matchbox Twenty cranked out until you hear all of them at once. Counting Crows were a little more subdued, and played only 3 songs from August and Everything After which was a bit disappointing. But man, Adam Duritz has a great voice.
quote:
Brantley Gilbert - what a kick ass show!!

Like Springsteen, without the New Jersey attitude, without being associated with New Jersey, with good song writing skills and a good band....oh and good songs

harsh....... Razz
quote:
quote:

Like Springsteen, without the New Jersey attitude, without being associated with New Jersey, with good song writing skills and a good band....oh and good songs

harsh....... Razz

And bullshit! Smile
quote:
quote:
quote:

harsh....... Razz

And bullshit! Smile

Hey, the not being from New Jersey part is real Big Grin Big Grin
Last night at Kaboo festival in Del Mar

Sugar Ray
Echosmith
Andrew McMahon
Citizen Cope
Hall and Oates
Gavin Degraw

Had a chance to cross Jimmy Buffett of my bucket list but #notonmybucketlist

Saw Fall Out Boy instead

Always great to see Hall and Oates but my favorite performance of the night was Gavin Degraw partially because it was on the smaller stage in the paddock area. the two big outdoor stages don't have great sound due to noise level limitations.

Looking forward to Lenny Kravitz and aerosmith tonight but just as much to Collective Soul and Goo Goo Dolls which are also playing the smaller more closed in stage in the paddock area.
I was also at the same festival that Bomba referenced. I guess I only have Stagecoach (country Coachella) to compare to it, but it is a pretty great festival in my opinion. There is live music, live comedy, and late-night DJs. And the best restaurants in the city have booths there, tons of breweries/distilleries/wineries. I did a tasting with Mike Trujillo (Karl Lawrence/Sequoia Grove). I started my Saturday afternoon with a lobster roll and a Montelena chardonnay. Not your usual concert festival food.

Musical Highglights:
Chainsmokers--I was absolutely blown away by the DJ duo(I know, not an actual band). I was never a club-goer, nor will I become one, but dang it was fun.
Jason Isbell--One of my favorite musicians, and he played a great set to a sparse crowd. Kind of a bummer for him, but great for me
Avett Brothers--Never really listened to them, but they were great
Flo Rida--Again, an unexpected highlight.
Capital Cities
Atlas Genius
Jack Johnson--Sentimental choice as he was one of my favorites when we moved here in 01. Perfect Sunday night, casual beach vibe gig
Snoop Dog--he played a DJ set at like 1 in the morning. We made it for about a half an hour before bowing out, realizing our kids had soccer at 8 in the morning.
Dana Carvey--A lot of political impersonations, but he was pretty funny

Lowlights:
Third Eye Blind--music was fine...his dialog was horrendous
Sarah Silverman--didn't really find her funny, and she was super pretentious and too obsessed with people who talked or had a cell phone out. Cringe-worthy.
Cypress Hill--Just meh. It's probably been 20 years since I've seen them, and it was pretty much the exact same show. Missed the beginning of the Avett bros to see them. Big mistake.

The other headliners were fine (Jimmy Buffett, Aerosmith, and Hall and Oates). Just not my cup of tea when it comes to music.
Roger Hodgson (singer/songwriter/keyboardist of Supertramp) in Ottawa. Small venue, 4 piece backing band, sound quality not great (hockey rinks rarely offer great sound quality) but very enjoyable, especially if one is a hard-core Supertramp fan like me. Played almost all the classics (though not Rudy or Even in the Quietest Moments, sadly) and played them well. Could even hit almost all the high notes. We especially enjoyed the chit-chatting and story-telling between tunes. The guy clearly enjoys his work!
quote:
Roger Hodgson (singer/songwriter/keyboardist of Supertramp) in Ottawa. Small venue, 4 piece backing band, sound quality not great (hockey rinks rarely offer great sound quality) but very enjoyable, especially if one is a hard-core Supertramp fan like me. Played almost all the classics (though not Rudy or Even in the Quietest Moments, sadly) and played them well. Could even hit almost all the high notes. We especially enjoyed the chit-chatting and story-telling between tunes. The guy clearly enjoys his work!

A hockey rink is a small venue?
quote:
quote:

It was the rink where the Junior A Ottawa 67s play. Only about half the ice and a third of the seats were used, the rest blocked off with a floor to ceiling curtain. Maybe 5000 people or so? It felt quite intimate, though we had seats fairly close to the stage which made it feel even more so.
quote:
Played almost all the classics (though not Rudy or Even in the Quietest Moments, sadly) and played them well.

Well, that's because Rick Davies wrote and sang Rudy, and there's no love lost between those two.

Davies wrote and sang quite a few of the hits: Bloody Well Right, Crime of the Century, Goodbye Stranger...

Hodgson never plays any of the songs that Davies wrote.
quote:
Originally posted by Italian Wino:
Yo Yo Ma with the Louisville Orchestra. Great show and hopefully not the last time I see him live.

Nice. My wife saw him at pre-concert recital when she was in college. There were about 50 students bunched up front. When he paused between movement, he would engage the gathered audience.
quote:
quote:

I saw La Traviata at the hockey rink in Bassano del Grappa. The sound was surprisingly good, but it was a small complex and there seemed to be acoustic modifications.
quote:
quote:
quote:

It was the rink where the Junior A Ottawa 67s play. Only about half the ice and a third of the seats were used, the rest blocked off with a floor to ceiling curtain. Maybe 5000 people or so? It felt quite intimate, though we had seats fairly close to the stage which made it feel even more so.

B, thanks for the reply. Small venue to me would be a club or theater, but I know what you are saying.

I do think live sound mixing has come a long way since my first couple years going to concerts in the early 80's. But a building not designed with music in mind won't help.
quote:
quote:
Played almost all the classics (though not Rudy or Even in the Quietest Moments, sadly) and played them well.

Well, that's because Rick Davies wrote and sang Rudy, and there's no love lost between those two.

Davies wrote and sang quite a few of the hits: Bloody Well Right, Crime of the Century, Goodbye Stranger...

Hodgson never plays any of the songs that Davies wrote.

That makes sense. It was also a bit odd to go to a show without any big screen media - just some coloured lights like shows back in the day. Though even then, saw Supertramp in 1977 and there was a big screen back of the stage.
Interesting Sunny. I'll have to go check set lists but you are probably correct.

bman, sorry he didnt play "Even in the Quietest moments" for you. Its one of my favorites and he played it all three times I saw him. I particularly enjoyed the story he told about how the song came to him while sitting around a fire in the Northern California woods. He's the first performer Ive seen spend that much time talking about the origin of his songs since Springsteen (though he mostly gave up doing that many years ago).
quote:
Interesting Sunny. I'll have to go check set lists but you are probably correct.

bman, sorry he didnt play "Even in the Quietest moments" for you. Its one of my favorites and he played it all three times I saw him. I particularly enjoyed the story he told about how the song came to him while sitting around a fire in the Northern California woods. He's the first performer Ive seen spend that much time talking about the origin of his songs since Springsteen (though he mostly gave up doing that many years ago).

Not only does Hodgson not play any of Davies, songs, he says that it's supposed to be a reciprocal contractual agreement. Davies (who continues to perform sporadically as "Supertramp" with two other members of the classic lineup) isn't supposed to play any of the Hodgson songs, but he includes about half a dozen of them in his set list. (Davies cancelled Supertramp's 2015 European tour when he was diagnosed with multiple myeloma.)

Here's info about the songwriting issue:

http://www.rogerhodgson.com/do...nts/songwriters.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvs...s-playing-songs.html
quote:

He did the same at our show. One of the things we most enjoyed. Even switch up the lyrics for a moment to one of his newer songs, one I didn't know, to insert some Canadian references (Tim Hortons! Big Grin)
quote:
Originally posted by Jabe11:
quote:
quote:

I saw La Traviata at the hockey rink in Bassano del Grappa. The sound was surprisingly good, but it was a small complex and there seemed to be acoustic modifications.

You know, there's an artistic angle to exploit there - operas performed on ice skates. Yeah, that would be a thing.....
While in Phoenix, Ringo Starr and his All Starr Band comprising Todd Rundgren, Gregg Rolie, Steve Lukather, Richard Page, Warren Ham and Greg Bissonette.

Great show and high energy considering the age of the entertainers (and the audience). It was a bit more than I expected as they performed many songs from Toto, Mr. Mister, Santana and Todd Rundgren in addition to Ringo's playlist. It was a great night.
Amor Artis @ Basilica of St. Patrick's Old Cathedral NYC- beautiful choral music with great acoustics.

Michael Kiwanuka cancelled his US tour due to tonsillitis. I had a ticket for NYC show and was really looking forward to seeing him live. His new album Love & Hate is my favorite of the year.

Bon Iver- missed last night due to UPS mis-routing my over-nighted ticket. Big bummer. Will try again for another show.
The Musical Box at Massey Hall

Recreation of a 1973 "Selling England By The Pound" tour concert.

Genesis tribute band from Montreal. They've been at it for 23 years. They do spot on recreations of classic Genesis concerts.

I believe they're unofficially sanctioned by the members of Genesis, and they purchased the original sets, props and costumes from the band. Everything is identical to the original performances, including the stage setup, the instruments played by the band, and the banter between songs.

Peter Gabriel brought his kids to see them once so they could understand what their dad used to do for a living.

The musicianship is incredible across the board, and the guy who does Gabriel is eerily good - both his look and his voice.

This is the performance they recreated last night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FBcz3tBH74
quote:

Genesis tribute band from Montreal. They've been at it for 23 years. They do spot on recreations of classic Genesis concerts.

I believe they're unofficially sanctioned by the members of Genesis, and they purchased the original sets, props and costumes from the band. Everything is identical to the original performances, including the stage setup, the instruments played by the band, and the banter between songs.

Peter Gabriel brought his kids to see them once so they could understand what their dad used to do for a living.

The musicianship is incredible across the board, and the guy who does Gabriel is eerily good - both his look and his voice.

Thanks for sharing. Watching it now and its sending chills down my spine. I was too young to catch these shows back in the day but my brother (4 years older than I) went to them and told me all about them. I always wished I could have seen the original theatrical Genesis shows. Does that band tour the US at all?

Update: Google is my friend. Playing 30 minutes up the road in FebSmile
quote:
quote:

Thanks for sharing. Watching it now and its sending chills down my spine. I was too young to catch these shows back in the day but my brother (4 years older than I) went to them and told me all about them. I always wished I could have seen the original theatrical Genesis shows. Does that band tour the US at all?

Update: Google is my friend. Playing 30 minutes up the road in FebSmile

We saw them 9 years ago and were disappointed. No spark or pizzazz at all, pretty much going through the motions. Maybe it was just an off night.

Add Reply

Likes (0)