All last week:
Take Flyte- first time seeing my cousin's band- fun. In Frisco, TX
Eric Gates- funky ass guitar player and singer. Talented. Frisco
Steven Wilson- Holy shit what a show in Boulder!
Brit Floyd- in the rain at Red Rocks. Good show. Great venue!
Missed my annual DMB show in CT- plane delayed and couldn't make it- boo. Glad I didn't buy a ticket ahead.
Last night in the front row at Northerly Island:

Colin Hay
Violent Femmes
Barenaked Ladies

The main draw for me was Colin Hay - what a voice. I was never much of a Femmes fan, but they were pretty entertaining last night. I'm a big fan of BNL, but it just wasn't the same to me without Steven Page bantering with Ed. Still a great show with plenty of crowd participation.
U2 in Montreal last night. Spectacular show on all levels. The technology was awesome and really added to the show. Bono invited a few random people from the crowd on stage for the last two numbers and next thing he knew there were maybe 40 people there. But they behaved well after some initial leaping about and selfies and after he told them to sit down on the stage. Only downside was they didn't perform "One".
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
U2 in Montreal last night. Spectacular show on all levels. The technology was awesome and really added to the show. Bono invited a few random people from the crowd on stage for the last two numbers and next thing he knew there were maybe 40 people there. But they behaved well after some initial leaping about and selfies and after he told them to sit down on the stage. Only downside was they didn't perform "One".

Great song - I have to say my favorite ever performance of One is actually by Michael Stipe and Mike Mills playing with Adam Clayton and Larry Mullins, Jr. I believe right after the Clinton win in 92 when MTV had their Rock the Vote party or whatever. Was mesmerizing
Love that version bman. It's my favorite version of it also. Mary J's long time publicist is an old friend and always speaks highest of her among a long list of A list clients past and present.

Patespo, they are playing it more often than not so your chances are good of hearing it
quote:
Originally posted by BOMBA503:
Love that version bman. It's my favorite version of it also. Mary J's long time publicist is an old friend and always speaks highest of her among a long list of A list clients past and present.

Patespo, they are playing it more often than not so your chances are good of hearing it

I understand their appeal, but I've just never cared for U2. Never owned an album. Never listened to an album all the way through. They just leave me cold.
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
quote:

I understand their appeal, but I've just never cared for U2. Never owned an album. Never listened to an album all the way through. They just leave me cold.

Troglodyte! shake felix Big Grin
quote:

This.

And I'm pretty sure sunnylea wrote all of their piano based songs. But my memory might be failing me again.
quote:
quote:

Saw there first appearance on SNL. Laughed at their pretentiousness. Never listened to another song of theirs since. Same thing happened with the absurd first appearances of Elvis Costello and Kate Bush.
Hey, I don't know about the other guys, but I took more than I sip. I saw whatever songs they played that dismal Saturday night. I do know what they played, it may have included their beloved, and overwrought anthem, Sunday Bloody Sunday. Besides aren't you in Europe with your son? Get off the internet.
quote:
Never drank DRC. It must suck

Big Grin

It's not like I haven't heard and/or seen U2 ad nauseum over the past 20 or 30 years on the radio, on TV, in stores, at parties, on the Internet, in my dreams... It's kinda hard to avoid them.

So yeah, I'm very familiar with what they're all about.

And I'm not putting down the band - or anyone who likes them. I do understand their appeal and appreciate their talent. They are the best at what they do. They just don't do it for me.

The same with Sting.
quote:
Originally posted by vinoevelo:
quote:

This.

And I'm pretty sure sunnylea wrote all of their piano based songs. But my memory might be failing me again.

I wrote a song for them called "Where the Streets All Have Names Based On Characters From Tom Hanks Movies". It was rejected.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by vinoevelo:
quote:

This.

I wrote a song for them called "Where the Streets All Have Names Based On Characters From Tom Hanks Movies". It was rejected.

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Sunnylea writing U2 tunes: computer (and thanks for finally giving me an excuse for posting this whatever-it-is! )
quote:
Originally posted by The Old Man:
quote:
quote:

Saw there first appearance on SNL. Laughed at their pretentiousness. Never listened to another song of theirs since. Same thing happened with the absurd first appearances of Elvis Costello and Kate Bush.

I saw 5 minutes of a Woody Allen film, I hated it. It was one of his beloved, and overwrought films. It was pretentious. All of his works suck.
Clearly I'm not the only one who saw the irony there. Writing some one off after watching them perform a few minutes on SNL has got to be the pinnacle of pretentiousness.

Sunny, I got your point the first time. Clarification wasn't needed but was appreciated. Fwiw, it wasn't directed at you.

Btw, just finished Vatican tour. Most painful experience of the trip but necessary to skip the line. Would have been much better to roam around ourselves. Much better.

Sitting in the roam recovering before a nice dinner out
quote:
Clearly I'm not the only one who saw the irony there. Writing some one off after watching them perform a few minutes on SNL has got to be the pinnacle of pretentiousness.

Sunny, I got your point the first time. Clarification wasn't needed but was appreciated. Fwiw, it wasn't directed at you.

Btw, just finished Vatican tour. Most painful experience of the trip but necessary to skip the line. Would have been much better to roam around ourselves. Much better.

Enjoy, the Pieta moves me every time I see it.
quote:

Obviously I've heard them throughout my life, they're frequently played in many places. Simply put--they suck.

I gave you a basic game plan for seeing the Sistine Chapel--which would have then worked for the Vatican. I'm full of wisdom about music and other things.
quote:
Originally posted by patespo1:

I saw 5 minutes of a Woody Allen film, I hated it. It was one of his beloved, and overwrought films. It was pretentious. All of his works suck.

As I've said many times, I don't care what your opinion is of things I like--and you and others, (especially those who don't like me) shouldn't care what I think of your taste.
quote:
Saw there their first appearance on SNL. Laughed at their pretentiousness. Never listened to another song of theirs since. Same thing happened with the absurd first appearances of Elvis Costello and Kate Bush.

Sorry. Couldn't resist.
quote:
Saw there first appearance on SNL. Laughed at their pretentiousness. Never listened to another song of theirs since.

quote:
Obviously I've heard them throughout my life, they're frequently played in many places.

Confused

The problem with absolutes.
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
quote:
Saw there their first appearance on SNL. Laughed at their pretentiousness. Never listened to another song of theirs since. Same thing happened with the absurd first appearances of Elvis Costello and Kate Bush.

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

quote:
quote:
Saw there first appearance on SNL. Laughed at their pretentiousness. Never listened to another song of theirs since.

quote:
Obviously I've heard them throughout my life, they're frequently played in many places.

Confused

The problem with absolutes.

I believe, especially in regards to music, that there is a difference with these two verbs. I listen to John Coltrane, I hear bad music being played in many stores I go to.
We saw Spoon at the Corona Theatre on Monday night. Very good. I do like them, but have always found them to be borderline (too) electronic and this came through even more live. They were best when one of the two keyboardists picked up a guitar and stepped away from his console.
quote:
Glad you enjoyed it bman. They skipped One the first show I saw them but played it the second. It seems like about 1/3 of the show is changing each night and you don't know exactly what's coming. Looking forward to night three in nyc

They were great Thursday in Chicago. They were getting ready to walk off stage but Bono grabbed the boys for a last song, 'One'. The crowd sung the entire song, Bono chimed in just a few times.

The new sound system they have is great, though maybe one touch loud. Curious your thoughts?
Beirut.

They were the official opening act of the Montreal Jazz Festival. Really good but their music is not suited to a large outdoor show like that. I can't find any official number for the crowd, but I heard there were about 70,000 people there. It was wall-to-wall.
quote:
quote:
Glad you enjoyed it bman. They skipped One the first show I saw them but played it the second. It seems like about 1/3 of the show is changing each night and you don't know exactly what's coming. Looking forward to night three in nyc

They were great Thursday in Chicago. They were getting ready to walk off stage but Bono grabbed the boys for a last song, 'One'. The crowd sung the entire song, Bono chimed in just a few times.

The new sound system they have is great, though maybe one touch loud. Curious your thoughts?

Glad you got the hear One. To answer your thoughts on the sound system it was very load. But that's the way I like it as it brings an aspect to the music you don't get at lower volumes. I think it also has to do with the fact that my hearing is not the best having suffered fairly significant noise damage from decades of booming concerts.

For the two LA shows I saw last month, I was on the floor within 10 to 20 feet of the main stage both nights and it was particularly loud. For the NYC show next month at MSG I plan to sit higher up for a few reasons but mostly because I want to take in the multi media spectacle from a distance. I want to experience that aspect better than one can from up front. I'm also interested to hear the sound system in a more ambient way.
quote:
Originally posted by thelostverse:
Jimmy Buffet last night again. Front row seats were pretty sweet when Patrick Kane brought the Stanley Cup out on stage again. Third time in six years - for the cup and for Kane bringing it out at the Buffet show. Cool

Nice. One summer we need to come up for this
Grateful Dead, Show #2 of the Fare Thee Well Tour, Sunday night at Levi Stadium in Santa Clara, Ca. Really nice crowd ranging from age 2 to 85. Bill Walton was there for his 855th show. As for the show, meh. Extremely loud and with a big stadium, 80,000 people, the venue is not suited for audio. The words were muddled. At the break my ears felt like a jet airliner had flown in one ear and out the other. I have been to only four Grateful Dead shows over the years but never in a giant stadium. Yet it was still fun to be there and the people watching was superb.
quote:
quote:
quote:

Glad you got the hear One. To answer your thoughts on the sound system it was very load. But that's the way I like it as it brings an aspect to the music you don't get at lower volumes. I think it also has to do with the fact that my hearing is not the best having suffered fairly significant noise damage from decades of booming concerts.

For the two LA shows I saw last month, I was on the floor within 10 to 20 feet of the main stage both nights and it was particularly loud. For the NYC show next month at MSG I plan to sit higher up for a few reasons but mostly because I want to take in the multi media spectacle from a distance. I want to experience that aspect better than one can from up front. I'm also interested to hear the sound system in a more ambient way.

In Montreal we were in the front row of the third of four levels of seating. In other words, just above the giant screen, which as you say was no doubt a very different perspective from lower level seating. It would be fun to see the show from the floor and compare the two experiences.
FYI, here was the trick to getting on the floor for this and often others. A lot of bands have started doing fan club presales and they did as well. It was $50 to join and it gave you the right to buy 2 pre-sale tickets for any show. The floor general admission tickets were actually the cheapest tickets ($80) but the hardest to get. With ticketing fees and joining the fan club it worked out to about $115/ticket. The hitch was there were no physical tickets. The purchaser had to show up with their ID and the credit card used to purchase the ticket. Once you got there you identified yourself, got wristbands and had to walk right in. You could bring the guest of your choice with your second ticket. This limited scalping and ensured long time fans were down front instead of those with the most $$$. I joined the fan club twice (Once with my personal email and once with my business email) and used two different credit cards to pay (to make sure I didnt have any issues). I bought my tickets the moment they went on sale to make sure I could get floor seats. It worked like a charm. I had several friends do the same thing with the same result.

The nice thing about the floor seats for this show was they did not oversell it. There was plenty of room to enjoy it and move around. For the first show with my son we went back and forth between front and remote stage when they shifted. For the second show with my best friend we got very, very close and stayed there the whole time. There were separate bars and bathrooms for the floor also. It was all very professionally done.

For future major concert events that you really want to go to, check into whether there are fan club pre-sales. I saw the Stones in Anaheim two years ago for $80 on the floor this way also.
quote:
Originally posted by Jcocktosten:
quote:
Jimmy Buffet last night again. Front row seats were pretty sweet when Patrick Kane brought the Stanley Cup out on stage again. Third time in six years - for the cup and for Kane bringing it out at the Buffet show. Cool

Nice. One summer we need to come up for this

That would be fun. I'm sure we could get something together for that.

Every year we think about breaking the streak, but then we know that the shows can't go on forever - he's going to stop sooner or later. So we keep going. If he's back next year, I'm sure we'll be there.
quote:
Originally posted by slipstitchpass:
quote:
Originally posted by Fox:
Grateful Dead 28/28 June.

Looking forward to the shows this weekend in Chicago!!

Listened to a couple of hours of the 7/5 show on the way home from the cottage. The boys sounded pretty good.
quote:
Thoughts on U2 or Dead shows guys?

Didn't go (or have much interest) but hung out with a friend who went to the Santa Clara shows and said they sounded really good. First night played all stuff from 1972 and prior.
My two favorites bman!

If I could only take one album to a desert island it would be Exile on Main Street. The Stones have always been my favorite band to listen to. On the other hand if I could only go to one more concert it would be U2. Heading to NYC in a couple weeks to see them one more time with old friends. Hopefully not for the last time.
quote:
Thoughts on U2 or Dead shows guys?

The Toronto U2 show was a lot of fun. The first hour was mostly stuff from the new album, which you could tell most of the crowd was unfamiliar with but the last 90 minutes were all the old favorites. Unfortunately our seats were not in a great place to see the visuals projected on the big 'screens', but no matter. Sitting just off the end of the 'e' stage, the band was right in front of us when on the smaller stage.

It was also fun when Bono pulled the Canadian U2 tribute band "Acrobat" up on stage and let them perform Desire. You could tell it was a dream come true for these guys. Bono impersonator Gabriel Pate talks to Rollong Stone about it here.
quote:
Stones in Buffalo. Show finished about 20 minutes ago and here we sit trying to get out of the parking lot. Grrrr

A mere 37 years and exactly 1 week after I saw them at that same venue. July 4, 1978. Horrible place to see a band.
quote:
My two favorites bman!

If I could only take one album to a desert island it would be Exile on Main Street. The Stones have always been my favorite band to listen to.

Exile is also my fave. My first Stones concert was the Exile tour in Toronto with Stevie Wonder opening the show.

That was July 15, 1972 - gulp - 43 years ago this Wednesday!

Among other 70s Stones concerts I saw (including the infamous "concert for the blind" in Oshawa Ontario), I was at a show at the stadium in Buffalo in the late 70s I believe.

Remarkable that they're still at it, and from what I've heard of the recent shows, they may not have the energy of their youth, but they sound more musical than they did 20 years ago.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Vino Bevo:
Steely Dan and Elvis Costello

Great double bill. Wish the tour was hitting Toronto, but alas it's not. Thankfully I've seen both of them many times.

How was it? Did Elvis do a full set, and was he with the Imposters or solo?

He was solo, but with a fabulous band behind him. He played a little over over an hour, then Steely Dan came on for another two hours. Both were fantastic - have seen Steely Dan in years past and Fagan's voice is still as great as ever. Had not caught Elvis yet, and was thrilled to do so. It was also our first concert at the amphitheater out at COTA - great venue.
quote:
quote:
quote:

Great double bill. Wish the tour was hitting Toronto, but alas it's not. Thankfully I've seen both of them many times.

He was solo, but with a fabulous band behind him.

Not sure what that means. Confused
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

SL57, please forgive my friend VB. He went to the University of Texas and must be given much latitude. Wink
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

SL57, please forgive my friend VB. He went to the University of Texas and must be given much latitude. Wink

Ha! Razz

Meaning he had a band behind him, but it was made up of folks other than his usual Imposters crew. I could of course be incorrect, but as he introduced them he mentioned "for the first time on stage with me", "just met this guy and he's an amazing performer", etc.
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Ha! Razz

Meaning he had a band behind him, but it was made up of folks other than his usual Imposters crew. I could of course be incorrect, but as he introduced them he mentioned "for the first time on stage with me", "just met this guy and he's an amazing performer", etc.

That's strange. Hmmm. Now I have to do some googling!

EDIT: that must have been an example of his sense of humour, because The Imposters are his band on this tour. I checked his Facebook page and they're playing all the dates with Steely Dan.

When you said he was solo but with a band behind him, I wondered if the band was just standing there behind him and not playing.
Saw the Juan Siddi Flamenco Santa Fe production this week. It was one of the finest productions I have seen in many many years, regardless of genre.

Excellent Spanish guitars, cello, haunting cante jondo singer and beautiful and seductive flamenco dancers.

Bravo!
quote:
Originally posted by Pinotlvr:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jburman82:
Dave Matthews Band tonight and tomorrow

Nice JB!!

How's that nice? Might be the most untalented shit to ever populate our great country

Ok, so we have TOM in the Movie section, and now Pinotlvr in the Music section. Thanks for your insight, do you suggest I spend more time listening to Molly Hatchet ?
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Nice JB!!

How's that nice? Might be the most untalented shit to ever populate our great country

Ok, so we have TOM in the Movie section, and now Pinotlvr in the Music section. Thanks for your insight, do you suggest I spend more time listening to Molly Hatchet ?

I think we all know the answer to that one! doh
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Nice JB!!

I think we all know the answer to that one! doh

There is something about Dave that makes people unreasonably angry. Its hysterical. Great show last night. I wish I could do one thing in my life as well as Tim Reynolds plays guitar. Dude is amazing.
Also attended Rush at The Forum in Inglewood and agree they were spectacular. Near flawless performance (much better than Irvine two nights before) and a frenzied crowd that included the likes of Chad Smith (Red Hot Chili Peppers), Taylor Hawkins (Foo Fighters), Stewart Copeland (The Police), Mike Smith (Bubbles on Canadian TV show Trailer Park Boys), Danny Carey (Tool), Doane Perry (Jethro Tull), and actor Jack Black. Quite the night indeed.
Steve Miller Band @ Ch. Ste. Michelle last night. Great performance! Sometimes with older bands, hearing them live reveals that they've lost a step or two. Not them. I'd forgotten how many big hits they had.
Also makes you realize what crap the music industry has become in the past couple decades, IMHO.<--disclaimer!
Dwight Yoakam and X at the Annenberg Space in Century City. Yoakam's band slayed, especially the lead guitarist.

X had a temporary guitarist standing in for Billy Zoom, who is undergoing chemo treatment for bladder cancer. I didn't catch the name of his replacement.
quote:
Originally posted by Vs.:
Dwight Yoakam and X at the Annenberg Space in Century City. Yoakam's band slayed, especially the lead guitarist.

X had a temporary guitarist standing in for Billy Zoom, who is undergoing chemo treatment for bladder cancer. I didn't catch the name of his replacement.

Hope Billy comes out of it well. X is an old favorite and when I moved to California 25 years ago it allowed me to see them quite a few times as they play here much more often. At the same time it cost me many Lou Reed shows but life is about trade offs.

At 52 I'm not done with X shows yet. Get well Billy Zoom!
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Vs.:

Hope Billy comes out of it well. X is an old favorite and when I moved to California 25 years ago it allowed me to see them quite a few times as they play here much more often. At the same time it cost me many Lou Reed shows but life is about trade offs.

At 52 I'm not done with X shows yet. Get well Billy Zoom!

X is still one of my favorite bands and shows, 8+ times. Saw them in early days then later in 80's when Billy was not the guitarist and recently 6 months ago with him at guitar. He is incredible....my favorite quote by him is he how laughs at guitarists making "painful/soulful faces playing riffs" and he TRIES (and acheives) doing as difficult and more by being stoic. Classic punk.....good luck Billy Zoom.
Did anyone else catch the Doobie Brothers on Fallon, Thursday night? Michael McDonald sat in for their medley: Long Train Runnin' and Takin' It To The Streets. I thought they sounded great.

I understand Gregg Allman is joining them on certain nights during their current tour. I would definitely pay to see that show.
quote:
Originally posted by gigabit:
Did anyone else catch the Doobie Brothers on Fallon, Thursday night? Michael McDonald sat in for their medley: Long Train Runnin' and Takin' It To The Streets. I thought they sounded great.

I understand Gregg Allman is joining them on certain nights during their current tour. I would definitely pay to see that show.

They were about 1mi away from me last night and I didn't go- boo. However, I was able to hear some of the music on the lake when we went for a night cruise on the party boat.
Friday night we saw a Led Zeppelin tribute band called Get The Led Out at a riverside outdoor venue in the town I live in. I had no idea they were a national act with a large following. They were fantastic. I'm guessing the crowd was in the 4,000 range.

Last night, also outdoors, Filter opening for Candlebox. The frontman of Filter, Richard Patrick, seemed like he thought he was too good to be playing a small out of the way venue, making dick comments towards the crowd several times. Candlebox's singer, on the other hand, seemed appreciative that people still wanted to see them 20+ years after their big hit. They were very energetic and a pleasant surprise for someone way past their heyday. It helps when your frontman isn't an asshat.
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
Friday night we saw a Led Zeppelin tribute band called Get The Led Out at a riverside outdoor venue in the town I live in. I had no idea they were a national act with a large following. They were fantastic. I'm guessing the crowd was in the 4,000 range.

Last night, also outdoors, Filter opening for Candlebox. The frontman of Filter, Richard Patrick, seemed like he thought he was too good to be playing a small out of the way venue, making dick comments towards the crowd several times. Candlebox's singer, on the other hand, seemed appreciative that people still wanted to see them 20+ years after their big hit. They were very energetic and a pleasant surprise for someone way past their heyday. It helps when your frontman isn't an asshat.

I know a former drummer for Filter. He quit because he couldn't stand working with/for R. Patrick.
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
Modest Mouse

They did a really good job in a really poor venue. An indoor track & field arena in Ithaca NY. Fucken cavern.

Saw them again on Tuesday night here at Metropolis. This time they did a poor job at a good venue. The sound was not great, especially the vocal mix, but the band was tight and the setlist very different from the Ithaca show.

Maybe it wasn't so much the sound mixing as something Isaac Brock said early in the show..."it's been a long road that brings me here". 5 months of solid touring is taking a toll on his voice?
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:
Going tonight to see Joaquin Gallegos and Barbara Martinez tonight in a tiny 120 seat venue.

Cool

K, keep an eye out for Barbara, she is special.

D and I saw Joaquin and her the next night also at a different venue. We had a chance to share a bottle of wine with her before she flew back to NYC. Very talented in so many different ways.

On a side note, D and I are going to host a wine dinner at our home like we did last year and we are going to have Joaquin play at the house. Needless to say, Spainish will be our theme. Cool
quote:
Joaquin Gallegos

D and I are going to host a wine dinner at our home like we did last year and we are going to have Joaquin play at the house. Needless to say, Spainish will be our theme. Cool

Cool Very cool indeed!
San Diego is dipping their toes into the festival world. They went after a more affluent audience, and the lineup tilted to the older crowd. I've got to hand it to them, it went pretty well for a first time event. I got to see a bevy of good bands:
No Doubt/The Killers/Zac Brown Band were the headliners.
Others were Sheryl Crow/The Roots/Ben Harper/Grace Potter/Fitz and the Tantrums/Slightly Stoopid/311/Counting Crows/Dawes/Bonnie Raitt

The place also had a comedy club aspect and I got to see Joel McHale/Lewis Black/Chris D'elia.
quote:
quote:
Have secured tickets to Iron Maiden on 2/24/16 in Ft. Lauderdale and will soon have them for Vegas on 2/28/16.

You are such a groupie! Razz

Got my floor tickets for 4/6 in Chicago.

If only I could transport like Star Trek, I'd be in Chi-town for that one too! Smile
Mark Knopfler @ Massey Hall tonight. Front row. Best sound I've heard at a concert in years. Crystal clear, tight bottom end, and every instrument had its place in the soundstage. Not an easy task when there are 9 musicians on stage.

Now if only Mark would learn to enunciate. Get a little more air in those lungs! It's "So far away from me", not "...o fa away fu...".

Even so, a great show.
Chris Cornell at the Lakewood Civic Auditorium in Cleveland. Seats about 2500. In short, it was terrific. Sound quality was amazing.

Sounds included

Black Hole Sun
Fell on Black Days
Hunger Strike
Wooden Jesus
Seasons
Nothing Compares to you (Prince cover)
Times they are a changin' (Dylan cover)
Redemption Song (Marley cover)
Imagine (Lennon cover)

I left hearing everything I wanted and then some. Highly recommend.
quote:
Now if only Mark would learn to enunciate. Get a little more air in those lungs! It's "So far away from me", not "...o fa away fu...".

For live performances, Van Morrison is the King of Mumble. Hands down.
quote:
Going to the Al Di Meola concert tonight in a small venue. Should be an excellent night.

Di Meola was excellent last night and his fortuitous finding of his violin player is a great story. Evan Garr was brilliant! The Montreal Jazz Festival might have created yet one more star.
quote:
For live performances, Van Morrison is the King of Mumble.

Worst concert I've ever been to. Opened with Wild Night which was great. That was the last song anybody recognized, and he sang with his back to the audience the entire show. Found out afterward that he is prone to do this. Would've been nice to know in advance - I could've saved some major coin.
quote:
quote:
For live performances, Van Morrison is the King of Mumble.

Worst concert I've ever been to. Opened with Wild Night which was great. That was the last song anybody recognized, and he sang with his back to the audience the entire show. Found out afterward that he is prone to do this. Would've been nice to know in advance - I could've saved some major coin.

And his shows typically start at 7 pm, with no opening act. And he starts EXACTLY at 7. And his shows are less than 90 minutes.

The last time he played in Toronto there was a big notice in all the ads for the show and on the tickets in 36 point extra bold type: SHOW STARTS AT 7 PM PRECISELY WITH NO OPENING ACT. And people were still arriving at 8pm as the concert was nearing its end.
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
quote:
Tonight: Joe Jackson at Danforth Music Hall.

Did he do anything from Jumpin' Jive?

No, Dok, but I was hoping he would. It's my favourite album of his.

He did a real range of stuff from his catalogue, half a dozen songs from his new album, and of course all the big hits.

He had Graham Maby on bass who has been playing with him from the beginning.
quote:
quote:
quote:

He did a real range of stuff from his catalogue, half a dozen songs from his new album, and of course all the big hits.

One of my faves is "5 Guys named Moe". That album came out when I was an undergrad and it's the album the salesman in the stereo store played when I bought my first "high end" speaker system. I still love my Energy 22"s.
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

One of my faves is "5 Guys named Moe". That album came out when I was an undergrad and it's the album the salesman in the stereo store played when I bought my first "high end" speaker system. I still love my Energy 22"s.

Not just my favourite Joe Jackson album but one of my all-time favourite albums, period.
Saw Roger Hodgson, frontman and songwriter for Supertramp a long time ago, at the showroom of a local casino last night, a nice-sized venue for the big sound his group puts out.

He was good, not great. About half the 2.5 hour set were Supertramp hits which got the crowd excited, while the other half were songs from his solo albums, and I think I might have recognized one. Hodgson admitted that some of the songs he had selected were pretty obscure (one was from an album released only in France, though the lyrics were in English; not sure why that one didn't sell well Smile), but he provided some very interesting background for almost every song, usually explaining how he wrote it, or why it had some special significance to him.

The venue (River Rock Casino) has a really good sound system so everything was crystal clear. The band consisted of 3 keyboards (Hodgson alternated between keyboard, piano, and guitar), drums, and a really good sax/clarinet/recorder player who stole the show (he is one of many great musicians who grew up and was trained in London, Ontario).

All in all, a nostalgic evening of music that I used to like.
Last night, took wife to see Clint Black at a small venue in Clearwater, FL. Ok, he can only sell small venues these days, but was very nice - great acoustics, fit in some holiday songs along with the classics and a few new ones.

Weird part was all the people walking around downtown Clearwater in the same clothes (almost uniform-like). Guess the scientologists were out in full force.
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:
Saw Roger Hodgson, frontman and songwriter for Supertramp a long time ago, at the showroom of a local casino last night, a nice-sized venue for the big sound his group puts out.

He was good, not great. About half the 2.5 hour set were Supertramp hits which got the crowd excited, while the other half were songs from his solo albums, and I think I might have recognized one. Hodgson admitted that some of the songs he had selected were pretty obscure (one was from an album released only in France, though the lyrics were in English; not sure why that one didn't sell well Smile), but he provided some very interesting background for almost every song, usually explaining how he wrote it, or why it had some special significance to him.

The venue (River Rock Casino) has a really good sound system so everything was crystal clear. The band consisted of 3 keyboards (Hodgson alternated between keyboard, piano, and guitar), drums, and a really good sax/clarinet/recorder player who stole the show (he is one of many great musicians who grew up and was trained in London, Ontario).

He is playing Ottawa next week at the National Arts Centre. Looking forward to it.
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Not just my favourite Joe Jackson album but one of my all-time favourite albums, period.

I am and always be partial to Look Sharp. One More Time is one heck of an opening track
quote:
Originally posted by Bytown Rick:
quote:

He is playing Ottawa next week at the National Arts Centre. Looking forward to it.

My experience was similar to Seaquam's. But I will reveal my bias by saying that it was better than good. The National Arts Centre is a great location for this type of performance. And the tribute to John Lennon (Across the Universe) was stunning.

At times the instrumentals were a bit loud relative to the vocals. But that was the only negative part of the show. The house rocked -- oldies totally enjoying the oldies.
quote:
Mark Knopfler @ Massey Hall tonight. Front row. Best sound I've heard at a concert in years. Crystal clear, tight bottom end, and every instrument had its place in the soundstage. Not an easy task when there are 9 musicians on stage.

Even so, a great show.

Another one I missed this year. Would have loved to soak in that sound @ The Beacon venue.
It's funny you mention his enunciation with those specific lyrics. I always sang them like that (in a mocking kind of way)in the car et al. because that's how they sound when he sings them.
Man, I'm gonna be busy in 2016

1/22 - Billy Joel @ Amalie Arena in Tampa
1/30 - Def Leppard, Styx & Tesla @ Amway Center in Orlando
2/24 - Iron Maiden @ BB&T Center in Sunrise, FL
2/28 - Iron Maiden @ Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas
3/6 - Shenandoah @ Florida Strawberry Festival in Plant City, FL (throwback act)
quote:

3/6 - Shenandoah @ Florida Strawberry Festival in Plant City, FL (throwback act)

At least it will be a good February. Wink
quote:
quote:

At least it will be a good February. Wink

OH, I forgot one for April 29th - 98Rockfest - Disturbed, Shinedown, Chevelle & Ghost - primarily going to see Ghost even though it will be a short festival set

1/22 and 3/6 are to make wife happy...and 1/30 is freebie in a suite, so not saying no Smile
quote:
quote:
quote:

My experience was similar to Seaquam's. But I will reveal my bias by saying that it was better than good. The National Arts Centre is a great location for this type of performance. And the tribute to John Lennon (Across the Universe) was stunning.

At times the instrumentals were a bit loud relative to the vocals. But that was the only negative part of the show. The house rocked -- oldies totally enjoying the oldies.

While didnt see him this year I saw him 4 times last year. He wasnt merely the frontman and songwriter, he was the heart AND SOUL of Supertramp. I kept going back because I found the shows to be great. Familiar songs I loved from high school performed wonderfully by extremely talented musicians. Putting the music aside, I love the way Roger engages with the crowd. I found the shows more intimate than just about anything Ive been to in decades. He takes the time to talk to the audience about each song, how he wrote it, where he wrote it and what it meant to him. Ive been to hundreds of concerts and this is far from the norm. Perhaps best of all is the sheer joy on his face and he exudes that joy to the crowd. Id go see him live anyday...no make that everyday of the week.
quote:
quote:
quote:

Glad to hear you enjoyed it! I've been playing Supertramp in my car ever since we saw Hodgson.
At one of the smaller clubs in Houston I caught prog-metal band Kamelot who were supported by Dragonforce.

I found Dragonforce to be basically be a one-trick pony (they all play super fast) and after a short time that trick got old.

Kamelot on the other gave a fabulous performance. The playing was tight and the members of the band seemed to be in fine spirits (2nd to last show of the current tour so maybe they were a little giddy).

My only complaint was the sound (very drum heavy) but that might be more the acoustics of the venue rather than any kind of control by the sound board.
With last evening open, I discovered that an act called Kofi Baker's Cream Experience was playing at a brewpub/restaurant that is about 15 minutes from home, with no cover charge. I was never a fan of Cream's music, but we had no other plans and called another couple who joined us. Kofi is the son of Ginger Baker, and sits behind the kit with two very talented musicians. As you can imagine, they played mostly Cream music but the second set had a couple of Hendrix tunes as well as one by the Beatles and Clapton's Wonderful Tonight. What a fantastic set of well played music, and a great last-minute activity. We managed to snare a 4-seat pub table very close to the stage, despite the room being pretty full.
Mozart's Jupiter Symphony - meh. The evening started off great with steak frits and a bottle of 2006 Jadot Morgon Cote de Py at Le Select. Got better with some Giraud with dessert. Then with my first bad Uber experience, the driver wouldn't follow my directions to go west 2 blocks to get up to King but insisted on heading south on Spadina towards Front. We finally got close enough to walk and enter the hall 1 minute before the concert. Seats were cheap seats in the mezzanine, so it was sprint the stairs after a quick pit stop. So much for going to the restaurant 2 hours early to a relaxed dinner to transition to the concert.

Once the concert started, the plebs in the mezzanine decided it was time to shuffle in their seats, chat with their date, and otherwise be disruptive. The orchestra is smaller for Mozart and the sound isn't as big as say Beethoven or other more modern composers, so from the distance of the mezzanine, whispers and rustling seems relatively louder, even over the cacophony of coughing and throat clearing....

The first have of the concert consisted of two arias from Don Giovanni and were good (one better than the other). Then there was a piano piece. By then I'd heard enough Mozart for one night.... just too much of the same thing repeated as nausea, without remarkable themes or melodies...

Jupiter Symphony was unremarkable for the most part. The build up to the ending went on for what seemed to be an eternity - never going anywhere, never developing anything, just building in volume until going sideways for a bit, only to start over and repeat the process - about 6 times. It was like going up an old time slow chairlift into at stiff wind in -20, and hoping the ending was just over the next rise, only to see yet another dip and another rise and possible ending or disappointment. Any who have ridden the main chair at Smugglers in the old days will know what I mean.

On the upside, I did learn a few things, so it wasn't a total waste.

1)If you know the traffic is good one way and not the other and the Uber guy won't cooperate, don't get in or get out.

2)Don't buy cheap seats on the boxing week sale for the Symphony. Stick to mid-way up the middle on the main floor. People there come to hear the music, not each other, and the sound is better from there anyway. A a bonus, you can actually see the pianist playing.

3) Mozart makes great background music. It would have been delightful during dinner in the background, but more than one piece at a concert is too much.

4) In contrast, Beethoven makes lousy background music, because it is so dynamic, but is great to listen to at a concert. I knew this one, but experiencing the opposite with a full night of Mozart was a good reminder: Full night of Beethoven - great. Mozart - makes sure it's a mixed program with a bit of Mozart.

All is not lost if one learns something, and the steak frits and Beaujolais were great.
quote:
Originally posted by VinCentric:

3) Mozart makes great background music. It would have been delightful during dinner in the background, but more than one piece at a concert is too much.

4) In contrast, Beethoven makes lousy background music, because it is so dynamic, but is great to listen to at a concert. I knew this one, but experiencing the opposite with a full night of Mozart was a good reminder: Full night of Beethoven - great. Mozart - makes sure it's a mixed program with a bit of Mozart.

Yikes!
Saw Billy Joel last night at Amalie Arena in Tampa. I had seen him 2 years ago but he really seems to really be enjoying being back performing. 2 years ago was the typical 90 minute set, but last night he went for more than 2 hours and joked with crowd, dedicating "The Entertainer" to Donald Trump and "New York State of Mind" to Ted Cruz Smile. Also, due to losing some legends recently, did a short cover of Bowie's "Rebel Rebel" and two full length covers of the Eagles (Desparado and Take it Easy).

Also loves how he likes to highlight his backing band, including ceeding lead vocals to one of his guitarists for a cover of Led Zep's, "Whole Lotta Love". Set list included a good mix of his career catalog including a couple opportunities for the crowd to vote with applause on the next song.
quote:
Saw Billy Joel last night at Amalie Arena in Tampa. I had seen him 2 years ago but he really seems to really be enjoying being back performing. 2 years ago was the typical 90 minute set, but last night he went for more than 2 hours and joked with crowd, dedicating "The Entertainer" to Donald Trump and "New York State of Mind" to Ted Cruz Smile. Also, due to losing some legends recently, did a short cover of Bowie's "Rebel Rebel" and two full length covers of the Eagles (Desparado and Take it Easy).

Also loves how he likes to highlight his backing band, including ceeding lead vocals to one of his guitarists for a cover of Led Zep's, "Whole Lotta Love". Set list included a good mix of his career catalog including a couple opportunities for the crowd to vote with applause on the next song.

Agree with you - we've seen him several times over the years but the last two, at MSG, were the best we've experienced. There's obviously something about playing for the home crowd so I'm glad to hear the show is just as fun on the road. Planning to go back and see him at MSG again this year.
We saw Billy Joel at the ACC in Toronto a couple years ago and agree with your comments. He made a few references to famous Canadian bands and his show was flawless. I have to admit that Pianoman was my absolute favourite composition of his during my entire university career and when I hear it on the radio, I still belt out the words.
Going to Symphony Center in Chicago tonight for Battle Royale: Jazz At Lincoln Center Orchestra With Wynton Marsalis And The Legendary Count Basie Orchestra. We saw them do a Christmas show a year or so ago, and they are simply incredible. If you enjoy jazz, do yourself a favor and go to this show if it plays near you.
quote:
Going to Symphony Center in Chicago tonight for Battle Royale: Jazz At Lincoln Center Orchestra With Wynton Marsalis And The Legendary Count Basie Orchestra. We saw them do a Christmas show a year or so ago, and they are simply incredible. If you enjoy jazz, do yourself a favor and go to this show if it plays near you.

We'll be seeing Wynton and company later this year at Lincoln Center for a 90th birthday tribute to Miles (if he were still alive, of course). We scored great seats, too! I'm already pretty excited about this. Smile

Have a great time tonight!
Heading to FLA over President's weekend for a golf/fun reunion weekend with 6 guys Ive known nearly all of my 52 years on the planet. One of them is very good friends with a guy in a band. Last night we'll be at the Springsteen concert in Fort Lauderdale as guests of the band in a suite and backstage. Gonna be a great cap to a weekend we have been trying to pull off for the last 20 years or so.
quote:
Heading to FLA over President's weekend for a golf/fun reunion weekend with 6 guys Ive known nearly all of my 52 years on the planet. One of them is very good friends with a guy in a band. Last night we'll be at the Springsteen concert in Fort Lauderdale as guests of the band in a suite and backstage. Gonna be a great cap to a weekend we have been trying to pull off for the last 20 years or so.

Nice! Looking forward to the post-concert report.
quote:
Will do. FWIW he is playing The River start to finish which is his most Pop like album and probably my least favorite. But having seen him a few dozen times since 1978 he and the band are such great performers that it is always a treat.

Very envious, as I love The River album. Will look for your review, as we are thinking of grabbing tickets for the Cleveland show.
quote:
Will do. FWIW he is playing The River start to finish which is his most Pop like album and probably my least favorite. But having seen him a few dozen times since 1978 he and the band are such great performers that it is always a treat.

Likewise. First time I saw him was the Born To Run tour, and I caught every tour after that up to Tunnel of Love. Without question my favourite album is Darkness. When The River was released I thought it was a huge disappointment. Still, I would have liked to have seen the new tour, but didn't have any luck getting decent seats, and I'd rather not spend $150 to sit at the back of the arena.
My first show was the Darkness tour (I was 15) and thats always been my favorite also. My older brother by 4 years was at the New Years eve show in 1975 at the Tower Theater which you may be familiar with as it is one of the top bootlegged concert tapes out there.

One sentimental thing about this show will be that I was at the the Opening Night for The River tour. It was at Chrysler Arena at the U of Mich where my brother did his undergrad. My whole family was visiting him and we all went including my parents. We had my mother sneak a nice camera with telephoto lenses in her purse. I was walking behind the stage and caught Bruce mid air leaping off the piano which he stopped doing many years ago. I blew it up to 4'X 4" and it was on the wall of my bedroom the rest of high school, all through college and a bit beyond. It got damaged but I still have the negative.
quote:
My first show was the Darkness tour (I was 15) and thats always been my favorite also. My older brother by 4 years was at the New Years eve show in 1975 at the Tower Theater which you may be familiar with as it is one of the top bootlegged concert tapes out there.

One sentimental thing about this show will be that I was at the the Opening Night for The River tour. It was at Chrysler Arena at the U of Mich where my brother did his undergrad. My whole family was visiting him and we all went including my parents. We had my mother sneak a nice camera with telephoto lenses in her purse. I was walking behind the stage and caught Bruce mid air leaping off the piano which he stopped doing many years ago. I blew it up to 4'X 4" and it was on the wall of my bedroom the rest of high school, all through college and a bit beyond. It got damaged but I still have the negative.

Forgot to add, Bob Seeger joined them for a song also that night
quote:
quote:
Lauryn Hill at the Montreal Jazz Fest this coming July.

A secret b'day gift for my better half.

Big Grin What, you think what you post on these forums, stays on these forums? Razz

Big Grin I know that she doesn't read here.
quote:
quote:
quote:
Lauryn Hill at the Montreal Jazz Fest this coming July.

A secret b'day gift for my better half.

Big Grin What, you think what you post on these forums, stays on these forums? Razz

Big Grin I know that she doesn't read here.

I think Steve is hinting his silence will come at a price. Probably ditto Mim.....

I, on the other hand, am the model of discretion........ Wink
quote:
quote:
...laughed our butts off.

That might help you get into those buttless chaps that you got from Tbird Razz

Are you suggesting that my butt is too big to get into my buttless chaps now? Next offline, I'll be happy to prove you wrong! catvom dance
Finally have time to post about the Springsteen concert in Ft Lauderdale. We went as guests of one of the original band members who is a close friend of one of my friends. Bruce and the E Street band was great as always but I found the concert very different than patespo. We had some of the best seats in the house on the first level, several rows up on the corner of the stage where bands always put friends.

Ive been to countless Bruce concerts including opening night of the original River Tour in Ann Arbor. The River has always been one of my least favorite albums. The first two hours they played all the songs on The River (a double album) in order straight through. I found the concert to be plodding if not a bit boring, rushed and uninspired. Maybe 1/3rd of the songs are rocking and the rest are simply meh. The energy in the crowd was nowhere near what it is for a Philly, NY or even LA area show. They simply seemed to be mailing it in this night.

Once they got through the 2 hour River set they launched into another 1 hour and 20 minutes of some of their greatest hits. This is where the show got interesting and started to rock. But still it never reached the heights or energy level of other shows Ive been to over the years.

All things considered, its always a treat to see Bruce and band. They played 3 hours and 20 minutes straight through. It was cool hanging with a few guys in the band before the show and they are professionals unlike most bands. It just wasn't up to the lofty standards I've experienced in the past. Call it an 89 pointer.
quote:
Finally have time to post about the Springsteen concert in Ft Lauderdale. We went as guests of one of the original band members who is a close friend of one of my friends. Bruce and the E Street band was great as always but I found the concert very different than patespo. We had some of the best seats in the house on the first level, several rows up on the corner of the stage where bands always put friends.

Ive been to countless Bruce concerts including opening night of the original River Tour in Ann Arbor. The River has always been one of my least favorite albums. The first two hours they played all the songs on The River (a double album) in order straight through. I found the concert to be plodding if not a bit boring, rushed and uninspired. Maybe 1/3rd of the songs are rocking and the rest are simply meh. The energy in the crowd was nowhere near what it is for a Philly, NY or even LA area show. They simply seemed to be mailing it in this night.

Once they got through the 2 hour River set they launched into another 1 hour and 20 minutes of some of their greatest hits. This is where the show got interesting and started to rock. But still it never reached the heights or energy level of other shows Ive been to over the years.

All things considered, its always a treat to see Bruce and band. They played 3 hours and 20 minutes straight through. It was cool hanging with a few guys in the band before the show and they are professionals unlike most bands. It just wasn't up to the lofty standards I've experienced in the past. Call it an 89 pointer.

Bomba, the crowd in Cleveland was energized, and you got the sense that Bruce and the band were feeding off of it.

My father and I attended the show, and we both are fans of the River album. So there is one difference in our mindset for the evening. The song, The River, has always carried special meaning to my father, as much of it parallels things in his life. I actually liked some of the slower points in the beginning, I thought it was something different from Bruce. A nice juxtaposition to what was to come in the 2nd half.

As you noted, after The River album was played, they went through a greatest hits and our crowd was highly engaged. His version of Youngstown is always well received in our area, and since a good portion of my family is in the steel industry, it always hits home. Born to Run was as raucous as ever. He was even forgiven for initially saying hello Pittsburgh, then quickly correcting himself. As close to a mortal sin as you can get in Cleveland.

For me it was a 95+, but sounds like what he played was more in my wheelhouse. We were upper level but right by one of the ends of the stage, the sound wasn't the best I have ever heard, but I wonder if it was our positioning in the arena.

One thing to note, he is releasing all of these concerts on CD, they are coming out about a month after the shows.
I appreciate the difference and know Cleveland is a great Rock n Roll town. In a bit of irony both of my parents, my brother and sister attended the original River tour concert in Ann Arbor. We had my mother sneak a 35 MM camera in her purse and got some awesome pictures I enjoy to this day.

The song, The River is also one of the stand outs on the album along with Sherry Darling, Jackson Cage, Independence Day, Out in The Street, Point Blank, Cadillac Ranch and Ramrod IMO. The rest I can give or take.

I'll be back for a show or two in LA which I have higher expectations for and its always cool to hang with Max for a bit. I'll report back after that show.
One funny part of the night was how many additional friends and acquaintances I ran into at the concert from high school. One of whom is probably well hated in Cleveland as he was Lebron's agent during The Decision. In a bit of irony Pat Reilly who was on the other side and had his hands were all over The Decision was right in front of us in the pit. Both guys shared an embrace and Pat gave one to my friend 80 year old mother who he brought as a Bruce concert was on her bucket list.

Add Reply

Likes (0)