quote:
Originally posted by The Woodland Rose Garden:
My wife and I went to see Rodger Hodgson (former member of Supertramp) what an exceptional performer! All the old Supertramp hits done exactly! It was down in the finger lakes region of New York. Man, that show is going to be hard to top Wink

Cool I bought the Breakfast in America album when it first came out. It is still in regular rotation on my ipod.
quote:
Originally posted by Parcival:
Billy Joel - last night at Fenway

Fantastic set and first grown-up concert I've been to in a while

Would have loved to see him at an outdoor venue. Had to deal with arena in Tampa back in January.

Also excited that Judas Priest will be back in Florida in October....Hollywood, I shall be!
quote:
Originally posted by The Woodland Rose Garden:
My wife and I went to see Rodger Hodgson (former member of Supertramp) what an exceptional performer! All the old Supertramp hits done exactly! It was down in the finger lakes region of New York. Man, that show is going to be hard to top Wink

I saw him 3 times in SoCal last year. If there is a more joyous performer out there I havent seen them. He just seems to be so happy to be there. Dont miss if you get a chance.
Jimmy Buffett last night - best show I can remember. This show marks thirty years with at least one show that my wife and I have attended, although many years it was more than one. We had planned to end the streak this year, but my brother surprised us with tickets the day before and we just couldn't say no. It took all of about ten seconds into the first song and I was glad we kept the streak alive.
quote:
Originally posted by thelostverse:
Jimmy Buffett last night - best show I
can remember. This show marks thirty years with at least one show that my wife and I have attended, although many years it was more than one. We had planned to end the streak this year, but my brother surprised us with tickets the day before and we just couldn't say no. It took all of about ten seconds into the first song and I was glad we kept the streak alive.

Sounds wonderful. Did he sing the lost verse? Razz
Just got back to the hotel after the July show of Billy Joel's series at MSG. Best we've ever seen him - amazing play list full of old classics you don't always hear on a broad tour, plus there's something special about playing for the home crowd. Great show!

Bill Cower was in our section at the other end of the row in front of us - dude can jam!
Friends, last night in Rouen, France (Northern France on the Seine River, about 70 miles from where it empties into the English Channel) we went to the beautiful Gothic cathedral for a music and light show. The recorded music was pretty good-- varied, quite a bit of lounge chill, some classical, some acoustic guitar, etc.-- but the light show was nothing short of amazing. Multiple projectors move images all over the highly complicated and intensely decorated facade of the twin-towered cathedral, changing its look constantly, anything from abstract design to the illusion that you're seeing a different cathedral, including Notre Dame of Paris (and a bunch of others that I'm not familiar with), a rainstorm running down the towers, Monet's water lilies floating over the building, box of Crayolas, butterflies, great variety… The saturation of colour and picture is stunning. I have never seen anything quite like it. There must be a highly complex imaging program running and coordinating the multiple projectors for this.

They do 3 shows, each app. 20 min., every evening from 11:00pm to midnight, and this runs until the end of September. I'm not sure whether or not the times change to an earlier start as the days get shorter. If any of you are in northern France in the next couple of months, or even if you're in Paris looking for an interesting side trip, I highly recommend this unique experience.

Oh, and the kicker: it's completely free, though it's a good idea to get to the square outside the cathedral a bit early for the best viewpoints.
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:
Friends, last night in Rouen, France (Northern France on the Seine River, about 70 miles from where it empties into the English Channel) we went to the beautiful Gothic cathedral for a music and light show. The recorded music was pretty good-- varied, quite a bit of lounge chill, some classical, some acoustic guitar, etc.-- but the light show was nothing short of amazing.

Seaquam, a similar show is projected onto Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City each night. <Here's> the YouTube clip, but it doesn't come close to replicating the live experience. The 3D visual effects, from a realistic crumbling stone facade to apparent bulges and holes appearing in the building, are astounding.
Getting ahead of myself, I know, but we have tickets for Steely Dan on August 26 at the NAC in Ottawa, a great venue acoustically. One of my all-time favourite bands - first album I ever bought as a kid was Can't Buy a Thrill. If I could have supper with any musical artists I'd probably choose Fagan and Becker, if only to try to find out what the hell some of those lyrics mean!

Can't wait!! Banana
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
Getting ahead of myself, I know, but we have tickets for Steely Dan on August 26 at the NAC in Ottawa, a great venue acoustically. One of my all-time favourite bands - first album I ever bought as a kid was Can't Buy a Thrill. If I could have supper with any musical artists I'd probably choose Fagan and Becker, if only to try to find out what the hell some of those lyrics mean!

Can't wait!! Banana

Love the Dan. I've seen them every time they've come to Toronto, but I'm passing this year. I hate the acoustics at the Molson Amphitheatre.

Best shows were at Massey Hall about 4 years ago when they did full albums: Aja one night and Royal Scam the next night. We caught both shows.
quote:
Originally posted by TPEwinedrinker:
sep 6- huey lewis & the news

Great club band, that's how I think of them Smile They were just starting to play larger venues when I first saw them at the Wooden Nickle. Eddie and the Tide was the next great club band of that genre (Greg Kihn was the predecessor).
quote:
Originally posted by Qhdeputy:
I sat by Peter Cetera on the plane yesterday. Does that count? Wink I'm headed to a huge 3 day country concert at the Gorge in E. WA. Headliners are Tim McGrew, Lady A, and Jake Owen.

I love Peter Cetera. His song from Karate Kid II was my wedding song (no joke).

The country fest sounds good. Make sure you catch Kip Moore on Friday. He's the next mega-star in country. Huge crossover appeal.
This year:

March 14 - Lodo's Bar and Grill - Keggs & Eggs
- Kongos; Unlikely Candidates; New Politics
April 3 - Boettcher Concert Hall
- Colorado Symphony - The Life of Rachmaninoff
April 4 - The Marquis
- Kongos
May 29 - Black Sheep
- Oh, Be Clever; Unlikely Candidates
July 12 - Imperial
- Blondfire; Kongos
(all front row, except Rachmaninoff)

Coming up:
August 8 - Sculley's Shooters
- Like A Storm; Dollarhide; Sick Puppies
November 6 - Ogden Theater
- The Airborne Toxic Event
November 9 - Gothic Theatre
- New Politics
quote:
Crosby and Nash sounded good, but Stephen Stills was painfully bad vocally, although he sounded great on guitar.

I saw them about 18 months ago, and the same. Crosby & Nash sang very well, but Still's voice kept cracking and going out. A real shame as he was one of the first concerts I attended, playing without CSN&Y in 1973.

Saw Gary Clark, Jr last week. Enjoyable.
Took my kid to Outside Lands.

Shockingly good sonics.

Food was good, but crazy expensive.

Winelands - meh.

Enjoyed the following...

Cello Joe

Beso Negro

Disclosure

The Kooks

Spoon

Jenny Lewis

Flaming Lips

Tom Petty

Deathcab for Cutie

Night Terrors of 1927

The Dum Dum Girls

Warpaint

Group Love

Haim

Local Natives

The Killers

Bleachers

(Did not like Kanye)
Recently:

The Offspring with Bad Religion - this really rocked. Both were in top form. "Smash" album in its entirety. Wow!

Mötley Crüe with Alice Cooper - as usual, Alice was in top form. Great to re-live my teenage years with Crüe, but even though I know they just aren't a great live band musically, they performed even worse than I had set my expectations.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Duojet:
Steely Dan

Gonna see them here Tuesday - thoughts on the show?

Excellent Great backup band. Joe Herrington on guitar especially. My favorite album of theirs is Aja. If it's yours, you'll leave the show very happy.
quote:
quote:
quote:
Steely Dan

Gonna see them here Tuesday - thoughts on the show?

Excellent Great backup band. Joe Herrington on guitar especially. My favorite album of theirs is Aja. If it's yours, you'll leave the show very happy.

Keith Carlock is a killer drummer. His drum break towards the end of Aja is worth the price of admission.

Jon Herington is also fantastic. He plays more guitar during the night than Walter Becker.

Oh hell... The whole band is ridiculously good.
quote:
Hard to pick a favourite album but Aja would definitely be in the running. Thanks to you both for the feedback!

The Sony Centre show on Saturday was the first Toronto concert of theirs that I've missed in the past 10 years. I also caught the Donald Fagan solo show, and the Dukes of September show.

The two Massey Hall shows about 6 years ago were a highlight. That's when they were doing full albums: Aja the first night, Royal Scam the next night... plus another hour + of other material after they finished each album.

Donald's vocal range isn't quite what it used to be, but he still makes it work.

What bugs me about the Dan shows is the large percentage of the audience that only wants to hear the big hits, and they bitch (during the show, and online afterwards) that they didn't play Do It Again or Rikki, and instead played "a bunch of songs nobody has ever heard of" (referring to songs like Green Earrings or Don't Take Me Alive).

But the thing is, they DO play all the hits - EXCEPT for those two songs, which, frankly, are their least interesting compositions. (Once in a blue moon they will play one of those two songs, but it's a rare occurrence.)

I'd honestly prefer to hear them play the entire "Two Against Nature" and "Everything Must Go" albums than to hear them play Reelin' In The Years (as an example) yet again.

That's why I passed on seeing them this tour. 90% of their set list is the same every tour, and as much as I love Bodhisattva, Babylon Sisters, Reelin' In The Years, Kid Charlamagne, and the entire Aja album, I wish they could get away with playing more obscure tunes.
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:

That's why I passed on seeing them this tour. 90% of their set list is the same every tour, and as much as I love Bodhisattva, Babylon Sisters, Reelin' In The Years, Kid Charlamagne, and the entire Aja album, I wish they could get away with playing more obscure tunes.

They wouldn't sell out without the hits. I'm sure no artist wants to sing/play the same set-list show after show. But the money is in the touring these days. Artists have to appeal to the hard core and the fans seeing them for the first time.It's a trade off
Caught the latest incarnation of YES twice last month. Good shows and the new singer (Jon Davison) sounds very close to Jon Anderson. Although the performances were good it just wasn't the same without Anderson there.

Also had a chance to catch Skid Row at the Mod Club in Toronto with opening acts Spin Dizzy and Psychotic Authority. Skid Row were okay...at least they had a couple of songs with which I was familiar but the opening acts weren't that great. Not bad for $25 but not great either.
East Anglia Chamber Orchestra. Venue was West Road Concert Hall. An ambitious program:

Haydn, symphony #44
Mozart, Symphonia Concertante, conductor was the soloist for Violin. Not a flawless performance, but still a treat
Beethoven, Coriolan overture
Mendelssohn, Symphony #4
At the TSO last night:

Rachmaninoff: Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini, with Daniil Trifonov on piano. Trifonov gave one of the best piano performances I've ever seen, at times mesmerizing, at times incredibly powerful. Tremendous expression at high speeds at times.

Beethoven's 9th Symphony. Sadly, resident conductor Peter Oundjian butchered this amazing piece of music. The instruments were laid out in an unconventional arrangement on the stage, with the result that all the voices and notes where there but the total sound was somewhat off throughout Crazy Ack . The choir had it's sections all mixed together instead of separate. The result there was that the sound was powerful when everyone sang at full volume all at once, but it always is anyway. The rest of the time, the separate voices were not as distinct. The performance was sloppy at times and unbalanced. Ack Worst performance of the 9th I've ever seen. Oundjian should have stuck to playing it the way Beethoven intended, rather than being arrogant enough to think he could improve on Beethoven. Crazy What a tool!

This guy shouldn't be in charge of a high school band, let alone a symphony orchestra.

Time for the Toronto Symphony to find a new conductor.
quote:
VinC, what do you think about the upcoming change at NACO, with Alexander Shelley replacing Pinchas Zukerman?

Does this mean that we'll have to fly to Berlin to hear Beethoven played as Beethoven wrote and intended it, and for that matter, the rest of Baroque, Classic and Romantic period music. Well at least you can hear Baroque in Toronto from time to time.

It would be refreshing if some of these musical directors simply announced special nights for all their new wave, modernist interpretations and applications of the classics, and see if anyone will pay to listen. For regular performances, they could then focus on playing the music well with good expression. There is lots for them to work on to simply perform the music as intended, and with great expression, and mastering the nuances that make the music great. That is what separates the greats from the rest - not quirky nouveau presentations of classics. Think Horowitz.
Boz Scaggs at Massey Hall

Going in, I wasn't sure about this. Figured it could either be extreme cheese or a showcase of great musicianship.

It ended up landing somewhere inbetween. Thankfully there was no cheese, and he had a crack band, but it all felt a bit perfunctory. Highlight for me was a brilliant take on Loan Me A Dime. Highlights for the crowd were Lowdown and Lido Shuffle.
On Saturday we attended a performance of the Seattle Symphony, with a very striking soloist: a beautiful young pianist named Khatia Buniatishvili, who played Rachmaninov's Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini, Op. 43. She received a well-deserved standing ovation; not one of those ovations where a few people stand and then others grudgingly join them, but rather, the entire audience rose in unison as soon as the last note faded away.

I have been fortunate to have heard some great young musicians during their ascendency-- Nigel Kennedy and Nadia Solerno-Sonnenburg come to mind-- and Khatia Buniatishvili is cut from the same cloth. Her fingers move unbelievably quickly, and her passion and control are both obvious. She is a child prodigy from Georgia (not the one with Peachtree Avenue; the one in the former Soviet Union) with great credentials, awards and credits.

I believe she is currently touring North America. If she's doing a recital in your area, she is absolutely worth seeing.

And hearing, too. Smile
quote:
Originally posted by aphilla:
Jarrett/Peacock/DeJohnette at Orchestra Hall in Chicago. I still can't really believe I got to see them live finally. Amazing.

Saw him at Amazing Grace in Evanston in 1974. At that time he was playing with the late, great, Dewey Redman.
My daughter just sent me a short film clip of the concert she attended last night in NY's legendary Apollo Theater. Chaka Khan, Earth Wind & Fire, Herbie Hancock, Ray Parker Jr. , Paul Schafer, Questlove, Bruce Willis, and a bunch of other people are all on stage. Even on a small screen far removed from the event, you can feel the energy in the room. Must have been an incredible evening for her!

I feel so lucky that I can live vicariously through others now. Smile
quote:
My daughter just sent me a short film clip of the concert she attended last night in NY's legendary Apollo Theater. Chaka Khan, Earth Wind & Fire, Herbie Hancock, Ray Parker Jr. , Paul Schafer, Questlove, Bruce Willis, and a bunch of other people are all on stage. Even on a small screen far removed from the event, you can feel the energy in the room. Must have been an incredible evening for her!

I feel so lucky that I can live vicariously through others now. Smile

Wow, what a line-up. Cool Would have been nice to be there!
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
quote:
Originally posted by TPEwinedrinker:
Last week went to Hall&Oates- they rocked the house.

Winner I've always been a fan. Went to a couple of their shows in the 80's and it's good to hear they're still rocking.

Likewise. Loved Abandoned Luncheonette before it was cool to love Abandoned Luncheonette. And they performed well at their R&R Hall of Fame induction recently.

But nothing beats the Hall & Oates Yacht Rock episode: http://www.channel101.com/episode/322
quote:
Originally posted by Adam10:
quote:
Ryan Adams at Massey Hall

A lot of my friends went to that one.

Great show as always. Solid band, excellent sound. He dusted off quite a few older songs, and played a new one for the first time.
Last night, Fleetwood Mack.

This is the second time they've come to town in the last couple of years, but last time Christine McVie was missing, and she was missed. She sounds great, and I think her presence takes some of the strain off Stevie who sounded way better than last time. They did pretty much all their old classics; in fact, offhand I can't think of a song from Rumours that they didn't do. Just a great show if you're an old-time Mac fan, as I am. Smile
quote:

This is the second time they've come to town in the last couple of years, but last time Christine McVie was missing, and she was missed. She sounds great, and I think her presence takes some of the strain off Stevie who sounded way better than last time. They did pretty much all their old classics; in fact, offhand I can't think of a song from Rumours that they didn't do. Just a great show if you're an old-time Mac fan, as I am. Smile

Glad to hear this. Saw them on the Today show a few weeks and they sounded terrible, most especially Christine. I remember thinking I'd love to see them, but not like that so I'm really glad to hear it was either an off day or more likely crappy presentation on behalf of the NBC folks.
quote:

just saw them at the Forum in LA on Friday, as you noted a great show and they played pretty much all the classics, i think it was almost 3 hours! overall i thought they all sounded great, though it was obvious that Stevie couldn't hit some of the extended notes, and Christine's ballad to close the show at the end of the encore seemed a little off too, though maybe she was just spent at that point. all in all though, a great show and very glad we got the chance to see them all together again.
quote:
Originally posted by The Old Man:
quote:
Originally posted by mountainman:
Chrissie Hynde last night in Santa Rosa. Gotta love a venue that let's you walk in the door with your own home made mixed drink.

Are you saying you had to be drunk to enjoy her?

Yes and I usually open a bottle of wine at dinner so I can manage to get through all that food stuff. Confused
I saw Anna Fedorova at the Concertgebouw this evening. Most of the concert was with Benedict Kloeckner on cello. The highlight was when they got ready to play the Piazzolla numbers she came out and said it turns out her page turner is an excellent double bass player and he was going to join them. I can't imagine they hadn't rehearsed that together but he never appeared on the program. They then performed the two Piazzolla pieces with the double bass player joining them for a trio and her turning her own pages (which looked adventurous a couple of times). It was a great show.
It won't be for another 10 weeks, but I'm pretty excited to have found out this afternoon that I'll be seeing Rush for the first time - on someone else's dime. Cool

They are not my favorite band, but I have a lot of respect for them and they have hinted that this might be their last full-on tour. I was first introduced to them when 2112 came out courtesy of my older brother. I believe I was 9.
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
It won't be for another 10 weeks, but I'm pretty excited to have found out this afternoon that I'll be seeing Rush for the first time - on someone else's dime. Cool

They are not my favorite band, but I have a lot of respect for them and they have hinted that this might be their last full-on tour. I was first introduced to them when 2112 came out courtesy of my older brother. I believe I was 9.

You won't be disappointed, they put on a great show. I've seen them 60 times now and am looking forward to the R40 tour this year.
quote:
Originally posted by Jcocktosten:
quote:
Randomly got The (English) Beat tickets yesterday. Never seen them. If you have, any good?

Not but so many good songs. Is Ranking Roger around these days - I know they split but so much better when they are both involved.

Roger is not involved anymore, so I'm in the skeptical camp as to how good they are these days.

I saw them twice in 1982. Eek Once with The Police and Talking Heads at the CNE in Toronto as part of the Police Picnic and then again in November at The Concert Hall in the same city. Both shows were loads of fun, but I and everyone else walked out of the latter show totally drenched in sweat. Loved ska.
Nightwish (Finnish symphonic metal band) along with openers Delain and Sabaton at Six Flags Event Center in Des Moines, IA. Four plus hours of music from these bands with Nightwish playing a 2 hour 20 minute set heavy on songs from their latest album "Endless Forms Most Beautiful". Singer Floor Jansen was nothing short of amazing, exhibiting a voice that has tremendous range and power.
Tonight was Tony Bennett and Lady Gaga. We've been blessed with the opportunity to see Tony Bennett a few times now and the legend never disappoints. In fact he only gets better. What an amazing entertainer and music icon.

This was the first time seeing Lady Gaga perform live. I must say, amazing talent. I've admired her "from afar" to a degree because while I like a few of her songs, I've never gotten past the oddity. Tonight she was brilliant. No weird outfits, stories were entertaining, and the woman has some pipes! That genre was made for her voice. She was simply great, and I have a new appreciation for her talent.

Great night!
Marillion at the L'Olympia Theatre in Montreal. This is the first of three consecutive nights that band will play (all different shows) and they played the album Anoraknophobia in its entirety along with a few other songs. Pretty spectacular evening all things considered.
quote:
Originally posted by Vino Bevo:
Tonight was Tony Bennett and Lady Gaga. We've been blessed with the opportunity to see Tony Bennett a few times now and the legend never disappoints. In fact he only gets better. What an amazing entertainer and music icon.

This was the first time seeing Lady Gaga perform live. I must say, amazing talent. I've admired her "from afar" to a degree because while I like a few of her songs, I've never gotten past the oddity. Tonight she was brilliant. No weird outfits, stories were entertaining, and the woman has some pipes! That genre was made for her voice. She was simply great, and I have a new appreciation for her talent.

Great night!

Cool
Just got back from Indio and going to Stagecoach (the country Coachella). That was an interesting experience. The music was great, with the highlights being Dierks Bentley, Jake Owen, Blake Shelton, and the Band Perry. Two of the headliners were good (Tim McGraw and Miranda Lambert) but weren't able to match the bands who came on directly before them. It was also cool to see ZZ Top live. They played on the smaller stage and it was electric. Merle Haggard was also a big hit, though I didn't go see him.

As for the festival itself, holy crap is it a sh!t show. 70,000 people, 90% are drunk, 25% are puking, and a ton of dirt and dust. Luckily it wasn't too hot except for Sunday. On the bright side, the preferred attire of all women aged 21-35 was boots, cutoff shorts, and bikini tops.
quote:
Originally posted by Dick Tree:
The Who with opener Joan Jett at the Toyota Center in Houston. Good show from Joan Jett while The Who were outstanding. Daltry's voice sounded strong and the musicianship from the band members was really good too.

Wanted to catch that one here but had a conflict. Glad to hear it was amazing, although makes me even more upset I missed it!
Good to hear Rogers voice was ok. It's been sketchy the last few years I've seen them with good and bad nights. My friend got to play drums for them on last year's tour after Zak Starkey went down. How cool would that be to play the drums on Quadrophenia playing Keith's parts and looking out at the packed house with Roger and Pete in the foreground. It was a dream for him
Boz Scaggs last night at the Wells Fargo Center in Santa Rosa, CA. He is in great shape at age 70 and most importantly his voice is in great shape. His band is tight and he played lots of new numbers and all the old classics. Great show with three encores. Lowdown!
U2 last night at the LA Forum with my son as a warm up for our Europe trip. He's 15 (almost 16) and it was his first big time rock concert. I tried to explain what it would be like but he didn't believe me until it started. We were on the floor within 15 feet of the stage. He said his knees almost buckled during the first song. They are so powerful in everything they do.

I've been to hundreds of concerts but no one does it like U2. The song selections, the way Bono speaks to the audience, the way they interact with each other and the audience, they way they use technology to personalize the experience to everyone in the audience just sets them apart. It literally feels like they playing just for you.

Next Wednesday I get to do it all over again with the same tickets for my birthday with my wine posse. Will be a very different experience (i.e. rip roaring party) but just as special. It is every time......
Couldn't agree with you more. I've always said out of all the concerts I've caught in my life, the best shows have been U2. We've seen them on each of their last four tours and are headed to NYC in July to catch this tour at MSG, and I fully expect this show to surpass the others because it happens every time.
I'll qualify my comments and say for me it's a case of overall "show" vs. musical performance vs. entertainment. U2 wins hands down in the overall show category, and is certainly in the top 3 in the other two groups. I caught Stevie Ray Vaughan here in Austin in 1989 and that - by far - is the best individual performance I've ever experienced. I'd also put Lyle Lovett, Billy Joel, and a couple others up there.

Overall though, I have to say U2 has been the best package, so to speak.
quote:
Dunno, Bruce puts on a pretty good show.... Can't say for sure though as we'll see U2 for the first time next month.

Good point but different. I have probably seen Bruce more than any other performer. Ive seen him in stadiums, arenas and numerous bars around Jersey going back to 1978. He is right up there up but its different. Bruce puts on an amazing show and it just goes on and on. Its no frills, in your face rock n roll which is near and dear to my heart. What makes U2 better live for me is not necessarily how good the music is or how rocking the show is but how personal an experience it is for me. I just feel the music inside me in a way that goes to the core of who I am. I hope you get that when you see them

BTW, for those who are going expect greatness no matter where you sit. If you are lucky enough to have GA seats on the floor it should be an even better treat. There was so much breathing room left you could move around, take a break and even walk to the back to see them on the remote stage while still being able to return for the end at the main stage. I cant wait to go see them again next week.
quote:
Originally posted by BOMBA503:
quote:
Dunno, Bruce puts on a pretty good show.... Can't say for sure though as we'll see U2 for the first time next month.

Good point but different. I have probably seen Bruce more than any other performer. Ive seen him in stadiums, arenas and numerous bars around Jersey going back to 1978. He is right up there up but its different. Bruce puts on an amazing show and it just goes on and on. Its no frills, in your face rock n roll which is near and dear to my heart. What makes U2 better live for me is not necessarily how good the music is or how rocking the show is but how personal an experience it is for me. I just feel the music inside me in a way that goes to the core of who I am. I hope you get that when you see them

BTW, for those who are going expect greatness no matter where you sit. If you are lucky enough to have GA seats on the floor it should be an even better treat. There was so much breathing room left you could move around, take a break and even walk to the back to see them on the remote stage while still being able to return for the end at the main stage. I cant wait to go see them again next week.

Yes, all that, couldn't have said it better. I have seen Bruce 7 or 8 times, just pure rock energy. Although some of his songs hit my soul the way you are talking about. Youngstown in particular, it's as if he is reciting my family's history.

We saw U2 twice on the last tour, at the start and at the end. We are going next month in Chicago, and I cannot wait. May pick up some tickets for New York if we have the time.

BOMBA, here's an interesting article you might enjoy. I'd be interested in your thoughts.

http://grantland.com/features/...s-of-innocence-tour/
quote:
U2 shows can be a bit special. My first gig was the Zoo TV tour. That was their peak IMO.

My brother in law was the tour manager for the Zoo TV tour. It was always my favorite too particularly the first round of shows they played in arenas before they took it to the stadiums. This one might be better because of the production. The audience has unprecedented access to the band by any measure against any concert I have ever been too.
quote:
Originally posted by patespo1:
quote:
quote:

Yes, all that, couldn't have said it better. I have seen Bruce 7 or 8 times, just pure rock energy. Although some of his songs hit my soul the way you are talking about. Youngstown in particular, it's as if he is reciting my family's history.

We saw U2 twice on the last tour, at the start and at the end. We are going next month in Chicago, and I cannot wait. May pick up some tickets for New York if we have the time.

BOMBA, here's an interesting article you might enjoy. I'd be interested in your thoughts.

http://grantland.com/features/...s-of-innocence-tour/

Was talking to a friend about this morning. Bruce concerts (been to well over 30) are amazing in that everyone...the band and the audience have the SAME great fun experience. There is no frills just fun and intensity. With U2 everyone seems to have their own experience. Im not religious but its as close to a religious experience as a rock concert could be.

Thx and I Look forward to reading that article.

Update: Just finished the article and agree with most of it. Here's one more point. When I was driving up to the show with my son, The Streets Have No Name came on. I said this is a great rocking song not another ballad. He said "Dad all their songs are kinda mellow ballads" and that's when it hit me. When listened to at typical listening levels the songs lose much of their vibrancy. Played live at high volume they are entirely different and thats one of the things that keeps me coming back.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by BOMBA503:Im not religious but its as close to a religious experience as a rock concert could be.

You want a religious experience? Mahavishnu Orchestra '73.

I was with my son. Unlike that no drugs or alcohol were needed
quote:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by BOMBA503:Im not religious but its as close to a religious experience as a rock concert could be.

You want a religious experience? Mahavishnu Orchestra '72.

I was with my son. Unlike that no drugs or alcohol were needed

Hey, it was John McLaughlin. No drugs used and I only drank Mateus in those days.
quote:
quote:
U2 shows can be a bit special. My first gig was the Zoo TV tour. That was their peak IMO.

My brother in law was the tour manager for the Zoo TV tour. It was always my favorite too particularly the first round of shows they played in arenas before they took it to the stadiums. This one might be better because of the production. The audience has unprecedented access to the band by any measure against any concert I have ever been too.

Yeah, people got to get real close on their latest show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aluYo-FSqiw
quote:
Originally posted by vinole:
quote:
quote:

Yeah, people got to get real close on their latest show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aluYo-FSqiw

That's pretty cool. Of course, if the really crazy groupies don't know you're coming, they won't be there to harm you.

Michael Buble also walks through each audience where he performs. I always thought that was gutsy, in this day and age. He passed by me close enough that I could have done him some grave harm, God forbid, if I was one of those crazies.
Calexico at the Virgin Mobile Corona Theatre last night.

Listening to their music has always made me think Tucson must be a much more interesting place than what I've seen on my 2 (work) visits. Clearly the Loews Ventana Canyon ain't where it's at.
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
Calexico at the Virgin Mobile Corona Theatre last night.

Listening to their music has always made me think Tucson must be a much more interesting place than what I've seen on my 2 (work) visits. Clearly the Loews Ventana Canyon ain't where it's at.

As someone who grew up in Tucson, and its most ardent supporter, I will tell you that Ventana was the fancy resort in the foothills that you went to on Mother's Day for brunch. And its where all the rich kids lived. That being said, my wife prefers Ventana and La Paloma to the mean streets of central T-town where my childhood home is.
We are about to host the first Carolina Country Music Festival here in Myrtle Beach. Since we are major sponsors, we are hoping for a great event. The headliners are Rascal Flatts, Eric Church and lady Antebellum, and there are at least 20 acts in total. Sam Hunt opens tonight, and then the festival runs through Sunday.
U2 again last night. This time with wine friends. Quite a different experience than with my son as the 6 of us (4 guys and 2 wives) drank 7 1/2 bottles before the show. Another great show as they closed out the LA shows and got even closer this time. For some reason the floor seemed more crowded than last Wednesday. Must have been about 12 to 15 feet from the stage for most of the show right in front the Edge. Giving serious thought to a quick NYC trip in late July to catch another.
quote:
Giving serious thought to a quick NYC trip in late July to catch another.

Do it dude! I haven't posted it yet, but my wife and I are heading up for the show on the 26th and I'm hoping we can stage an epic offline with the NY crew. A friend from San Diego would make it all the better!
Odds increasing. My ex changed her trip plans back east with our kids. Now coming back on the 27th instead of 24th. Kids covered. Flights look reasonable. Tickets to show are easy. A friend is one of the top ticket brokers in the country and can always get us whatever we want reasonably. Just need to check in with a couple friends to see and stay with. Lets call it 70/30 nowSmile
Rush last night. Despite the cavernous size of the United Center (seats were middle tier) and IMO Geddy's voice not being in top form, they were phenomenal. I liked the set list being put together backwards chronologically. They surpass Tool as being the most gifted musically that I have seen live in a hard rock band.

Add Reply

Likes (0)