I saw the Gaslight Anthem at the best venue in SD (the Belly Up). Amazing band at a tiny venue. It was so much fun I almost had one too many bourbons. Apparently I'm not 25 anymore.
I caught the opening night of Rush's 2013 Clockwork Angels tour in Austin, Texas. The show was good although there were quite a few problems with Alex Lifeson's guitars. Three hours in total and an enjoyable evening.
For the last few years, I've been concentrating on seeing bands I enjoyed growing up...thinking they won't be around much longer so might as well take the opportunity now...so tomorrow night it will be Ted Nugent, Styx and REO Speedwagon at the amphitheater here in Tampa.
Walked to Sunfest (though the first three days should be called Rainfest) tonight after work and got to see Gary Clark, Jr and The Black Crowes.
quote:
Originally posted by Vino Bevo:
quote:
Originally posted by vinole:
got to see Gary Clark, Jr

What did you think?

Good old school blues rock. Puts on a good show with plenty of jams and solos.
quote:
quote:
quote:
got to see Gary Clark, Jr

What did you think?

Good old school blues rock. Puts on a good show with plenty of jams and solos.

I agree - local kid who I think is one of the best of the next generation of blues guitarists/performers.
quote:
Just got home from Diana Krall. Sultry, sexy, entertaining, fabulous.

Love her music, but her concerts tend to be on the short side, imo.
quote:
Walked to Sunfest (though the first three days should be called Rainfest) tonight after work and got to see Gary Clark, Jr and The Black Crowes.

Gary Clark Jr. can play.
quote:
Originally posted by mneeley490:
quote:

Tend to agree - she played for just over two hours this time, which appears to be the norm these days with the exception of the artists who are known for going all night like Springsteen.
quote:
quote:
quote:

Tend to agree - she played for just over two hours this time, which appears to be the norm these days with the exception of the artists who are known for going all night like Springsteen.

You got a good one then. I've seen her twice at Ch. Ste. Michelle, and I think they each lasted a little over an hour.
McCartney tonight. Simply amazing - easily one of the top 2 or 3 shows in my life. Saw him in Houston in November and that was fabulous, but tonight was simply better. He played for three hours and entertained in so many ways beyond just the songs.

All I can say is I consider myself blessed to have seen this legendary performer who is, in my opinion after two shows in the last six months, still able to do it as well as ever. Again, simply amazing.
I have not been to these shows yet, but we have selected a few musical evenings for our Paris visit this July. So far we have tickets to a chamber recital in Sainte Chapelle (have done this before, a very special venue), an organ recital in Notre Dame, a few shows from the Paris Jazz Festival including Edmar Castaneda and South Africa's Hugh Masekela.

I have tried half a dozen times over the last 15 years to get into an organ recital at Notre Dame (either didn't coincide with our visits, or sold out when we were there so I listened outside for a while) so I am especially excited to hear that magnificent 15th C treasure being played. I have requested the organist play Stairway to Heaven or Green Onions, but I expect they will ignore me, as always.
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
Talent show at my 8 year old granddaughter's elementary school. 37 acts. No A/C. Banana

PH

Ouch. You're a good granddad PH!
Took my 12 and 15 year old sons to see XX at the Greek Theater in Berkeley.

I would recommend seeing XX.

The crowd was lovely and treated my kids like small royalty. A very very nice group of concert goers.

I think my kids activate all the surrounding "girls'" baby sitter genes, or something!

10/10 night.
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
Talent show at my 8 year old granddaughter's elementary school. 37 acts. No A/C. Banana

PH

lol heheh. Good times, good times.
quote:
Originally posted by The Cabernet of Doctor Caligari:
Took my 12 and 15 year old sons to see XX at the Greek Theater in Berkeley.

I would recommend seeing XX.

The crowd was lovely and treated my kids like small royalty. A very very nice group of concert goers.

I think my kids activate all the surrounding "girls'" baby sitter genes, or something!

10/10 night.

That's cool. I want to see their double bill with Grizzly Bear but I have to work! Dang!
Sometimes, its important to make the woman in your life happy! Friday night was Rascal Flatts with The Band Perry opening.
quote:
Originally posted by Pinotlvr:
Sometimes, its important to make the woman in your life happy! Friday night was Rascal Flatts with The Band Perry opening.

I'll try and remember this as I'm enduring Jimmy Buffet later this month. Ack
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
quote:

I'll try and remember this as I'm enduring Jimmy Buffet later this month. Ack

You sir, are not worthy. Throw in a Patrick Kane and a Cubs reference and you'd have hit this out of the park. Big Grin
A trifecta, eh? Wink Truth be told I only know two of his songs. I think you know my musical preference,...and this ain't it! Big Grin I'm guessing once I'm there and in the party atmosphere, I'll have a good enough time. If I'm not, I'll be acting as if I am. Maybe Kaner will be bringing the Cup on stage again...
Went to Ravinia tonight for a Benny Goodman Tribute - 75 years since he first appeared at Ravinia.

It was a great show. The Chicago Jazz Orchestra with 3 different clarinet soloists, and Cyrille Aimee singing a few numbers, and Sylvia McNair singing a few numbers. What a great show. I'm going to have to seek out more live big band jazz.
Dr. John last night at the opening night of the new Riveredge Park in downtown Aurora. Very cool outdoor venue and an entertaining show.
quote:
Originally posted by Adam10:
I just saw Alabama Shakes too, at Echo Beach. Excellent live, expectations fulfilled. Brittany's an ace front-woman.

I never knew about them but I have to say her energy level and guitar riffs are tight and amazing.
quote:
Originally posted by mareff:

Alabama Shakes..amazing show at the Capital Theatre.. you old timers should check them out.. great vibes.

My daughter said pretty much the same thing when she gave me tickets to their concert here in late July. Unfortunately, we'll still be out of the country at that time, so I had to regretfully give them to her to use herself. She didn't seem terribly upset by this.
quote:
Maybe Kaner will be bringing the Cup on stage again...

I was at that show.

Finally got our tickets this morning - front row baby.

You've got to come early. Tailgating is in the Soldier Field parking lot, and we will have our usual set up - grill (we usually do skirt steak tacos with a grilled corn salsa), tent, chairs, bags and plenty of fine wine and margaritas. Weather as of now looks perfect - should be a memorable night.
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:
quote:

Alabama Shakes..amazing show at the Capital Theatre.. you old timers should check them out.. great vibes.

My daughter said pretty much the same thing when she gave me tickets to their concert here in late July. Unfortunately, we'll still be out of the country at that time, so I had to regretfully give them to her to use herself. She didn't seem terribly upset by this.

She was all over it from the beginning Wink
Going to see Los Lonely Boys tonight with a Los Lobos opener. I'm psyched about this one, although my wife not so much. Roles will be reversed next week when we go to Matchbox 20 with Goo Goo Dolls. A little quid pro quo.
quote:
Originally posted by thelostverse:
Going to see Los Lonely Boys tonight with a Los Lobos opener.

Interesting - while I really like both bands I would've thought it would play the other way with Los Lobos being the headliner. Either way, it'll be a great show - enjoy!
Probably considered co-headliners, as actually Alejandro Escovedo is opening the show. I was a big Los Lobos fan back in college in the '80's, but the draw for me is LLB.
Los Lonely Boys are definitely the more well-known band today, so I get it. Love me some Lobos though, and Alejandro too?? What a show!! Had I known about this I might have tried to book a business trip to our Aurora office this week!
quote:
Los Lonely Boys are definitely the more well-known band today, so I get it. Love me some Lobos though, and Alejandro too?? What a show!! Had I known about this I might have tried to book a business trip to our Aurora office this week!

I just looked at the ticket, and it does list Los Lobos at the top. Big Grin Either way, I'm looking forward to this show.
quote:
Interesting - while I really like both bands I would've thought it would play the other way with Los Lobos being the headliner. Either way, it'll be a great show - enjoy!

OK - lineup was officially Alejandro, Los Lonely Boys and finally Los Lobos. Although, for much of the night, you could have called it Los Lonely Lobos as both bands were on stage together. What an incredible show.
Went and saw Brad Paisley last weekend ($20 Groupon). Pretty darn good guitar player for a a country artist Smile However, DAMN, country fans like to fight. Witnessed some dude getting cold cocked, knocked out with one punch and another with a bloody face.

I think I'll stick to Iron Maiden and Black Sabbath concerts. I feel safer Big Grin
Great time at jimmy buffet last night! Very entertaining. I ended enjoying the music way more than expected. Tailgating with Allred and thelostverse was an added special bonus. Seeing the Stanley cup was icing on the cake!
quote:
Great time at jimmy buffet last night! Very entertaining. I ended enjoying the music way more than expected. Tailgating with Allred and thelostverse was an added special bonus. Seeing the Stanley cup was icing on the cake!

Glad you enjoyed it Bill. The sound at Northerly Island was spectacular last night. Another fun show, and I've even got my voice back this morning.
Saw Goo Goo Dolls with Matchbox 20 last night. Enjoyed it more than I thought I would. MB20 was extremely polished and exceptional musically. Unfortunately, I just couldn't connect to the songs like my wife did. This was payback to her for sitting through Los Lonely Boys and Los Lobos last week with me.
quote:
MB20 was extremely polished and exceptional musically.

MB20 is a very talented band. I saw their first show following 9/11, which was here in St. Louis with Train in the fall of 2001. They rocked the house down. It was phenomenal.
DMB Friday and Saturday in West Palm Beach. He played the best Lie in Our Graves I have heard live. It was about 20 minutes and even broke into a verse of You look Wonderful Tonight in the middle of the Tim Reynolds jam. Also heard a great cover of Blue Oyster Cult's Dont Fear the Reaper.
quote:
Originally posted by LBJ2XFinalsMVPisclutch:
DMB Friday and Saturday in West Palm Beach. He played the best Lie in Our Graves I have heard live. It was about 20 minutes and even broke into a verse of You look Wonderful Tonight in the middle of the Tim Reynolds jam. Also heard a great cover of Blue Oyster Cult's Dont Fear the Reaper.

Bow
Saw Gavin DeGraw, The Script and Train last night with my wife. My wife has been trying to get a Train concert for years, and it worked out for us last night. I'd never heard of The Script, and I'd be alright if I never heard them again. Gavin and Train were good, but they're just not my cup of tea.
Fastball, Vertical Horizon, Gin Blossoms, Sugar Ray and Smash Mouth all on the same bill at Ravinia. The highlights were the Varner and Henriot I brought for picnicking on the lawn. Razz

It was actually enjoyable and entertaining. Like TLV and Train, none of these bands are in my wheelhouse but it was a fun evening with friends.
Jay Z and Justin Timberlake at Soldier field Monday. Great chemistry, both sounded great, JT sang, danced, played piano, keyboard, electric amd acoustic guitars. Jay Z sounded great. 2nd row center seats were worth every penny.

36 songs in all, 2 1/2 hours with no breaks.

The warm up DJ was awesome as well.
I doubt that I will ever consider myself a classical music fan, but I enjoyed the DuPage Symphony Orchestra last night at a chilly outdoor performance. "With a Gypsy Flair" was the theme. Pieces included those by Liszt, Khachaturian, Brahms and Strauss, for those of you in the know about this type of music. A few portions were familiar. With the weather being less than perfect, I concentrated more on what I was hearing than socializing and drinking wine with our friends. I liked the complexity and layers of the music, and the highlight for me was a fantastic solo by the principal trumpet.
Black Sabbath last night at the Amphitheater in Tampa. I had been planning to go for awhile, but yesterday was able to get tickets on Row 6 left side of stage and Wow...what an experience.

Yes, Ozzy's vocal range, which was never great has certainly gotten worse over the years and substantially worse than when I saw him solo in 1989. That being said, this was my first time seeing Black Sabbath in any form and being that I prefer the Ozzy era music, even better to see 3 of the 4 original members...and especially Tony and Geezer! They played 4 songs from their new album, which certainly helped Ozzy, since the new songs are more geared to what he can sing these days..though he can still nail N.I.B. and sing the eerie lyrics to Black Sabbath like nobody else can!
Heart last night at Ravinia with Jason Bonham's Led Zeppelin Experience. Incredible.

Bonham played for about an hour, including Over the Hills and Far Away, my personal favorite Zeppelin tune.

Heart came out and played for about one and a half hours. They did an acoustic version of Alone and Ann was simply amazing. She actually looked a little embarrassed at the standing ovation that went on a good two minutes after that song.

Then Heart came back out with Bonham on drums and did about 45 minutes of Zeppelin tunes including Battle of Evermore, The Song Remains the Same, The Rain Song, Immigrant Song, Kashmir and Stairway.

It was truly a memorable evening.
Going to see Journey tonight in our last Ravinia show of the season. I saw them several times in the 80's - one of which was my wife's very first concert in '83. It's gonna be weird without Steve Perry.
quote:
Black Sabbath last night at the Amphitheater in Tampa. I had been planning to go for awhile, but yesterday was able to get tickets on Row 6 left side of stage and Wow...what an experience.

Yes, Ozzy's vocal range, which was never great has certainly gotten worse over the years and substantially worse than when I saw him solo in 1989. That being said, this was my first time seeing Black Sabbath in any form and being that I prefer the Ozzy era music, even better to see 3 of the 4 original members...and especially Tony and Geezer! They played 4 songs from their new album, which certainly helped Ozzy, since the new songs are more geared to what he can sing these days..though he can still nail N.I.B. and sing the eerie lyrics to Black Sabbath like nobody else can!

I have nothing to say, and I'm saying it. Razz
quote:
Originally posted by Grapejuiceisgood:
Saw Head East, Styx and REO last week. Really relived the 80's

Saw Styx with REO back in May. Was really nice to hear all those songs live. I'd say its like reliving the 70's and 80's since they really were there for both and Styx even more 70's Smile
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Grapejuiceisgood:
Saw Head East, Styx and REO last week. Really relived the 80's

Saw Styx with REO back in May. Was really nice to hear all those songs live. I'd say its like reliving the 70's and 80's since they really were there for both and Styx even more 70's Smile

An interesting REO story: I used to work in a Chicago record store (records were 12" disks which one would spin on turntable that had a arm that held a diamond which would ride in grooves in the disk and then, believe it or not, play music!) My boss had been in a group called Mountain Bus. They were sued over the name by Mountain and instead of spending money they didn't have pretty much disbanded. During the litigation period Mountain was scheduled to play in town. They cancelled the show and a local fav--REO Speedwagon--played the show instead. The rest is history.
Old Man,

Curious to hear where that record store was? In the burbs I would go to Stained Glass Eye and Swollen Head to buy all that great vinyl. Styx played at my older sisters Homecoming dance in '71. We were backstage with REo last weekend. Pretty good time
If it was Rolling Stone Records I spent much time there in my youth. I had a nice collection of import 12" singles from The Old Man's faves, Iron Maiden. Razz Loved all of the Derek Riggs artwork. They all got ruined in a basement flood in 1987. Bang
quote:
If it was Rolling Stone Records I spent much time there in my youth. I had a nice collection of import 12" singles from The Old Man's faves, Iron Maiden. Razz Loved all of the Derek Riggs artwork. They all got ruined in a basement flood in 1987. Bang

Well, I plan on leaving OM speechless again when I post about the Megadeath/Iron Maiden concert ill be at in a few weeks!!
Damn, dude - assuming you are seeing them locally, you get the benefit of Nicko McBrain living in FL! I guess his mates don't mind visiting that region.
The smallest record store ever--the Record Shack in Skokie (!) followed by Round Records on Sheridan Road near Loyola University.
quote:

Yes, the days of English imports. Supposedly higher quality vinyl. And yes I have Cream's Disraeli Gears and Wheels of Fire on import.
quote:
Damn, dude - assuming you are seeing them locally, you get the benefit of Nicko McBrain living in FL! I guess his mates don't mind visiting that region.

I wish it was local. They have ended the two "Ed Force One" world tours in Florida to drop Nicko off, but this one requires me to fly to St. Louis. Only 7 U.S. dates this year as a warm up for Rock in Rio.
Catching Ted Nugent at the House of Blues in Houston tonight. For being 65 years old I have heard he still puts on a great show.
quote:
Originally posted by Dick Tree:
Catching Ted Nugent at the House of Blues in Houston tonight. For being 65 years old I have heard he still puts on a great show.

He does indeed. Prepare for some political talk too..but he can still bring it when he concentrates on the axe in his hands.
A good show from Ted Nugent and I was also impressed by opening act Laura Wilde. Way too much political hysteria for me and the cursing could have been less too. The crowd ate up his antics though and he really can still play the guitar at 65 years of age.
Iron Maiden Sunday night in St. Louis. As usual, they were on top of their game and amazing. This coming friday night in Tampa is payback to the g/f for sitting through an Iron Maiden concert Smile - Maroon 5 & Kelly Clarkson
quote:
Iron Maiden Sunday night in St. Louis. As usual, they were on top of their game and amazing. This coming friday night in Tampa is payback to the g/f for sitting through an Iron Maiden concert Smile - Maroon 5 & Kelly Clarkson

Brutal. Can't you just not go to each other's gigs?
quote:
quote:

Brutal. Can't you just not go to each other's gigs?

A little diversity is always good!
I saw Mumford & Sons last night @ Centennial Olympic Park in Atlanta. It was a last minute decision and I scalped a ticket to meet up with friends. I worked a little supply/demand and ended up getting PAID $10 to see the show. They were great. They are very talented artists. Worth every $ Smile
quote:
A little diversity is always good!

I'm pretty sure Maroon 5 and K. Clarkson are part of the exception to that rule.

Good luck though! Confused
I saw Joe Satriani with Steve Morse as the opening act on Sep 7th at the House of Blues in Houston. Satch was great but I was really impressed with Steve Morse. It's taken me a while but I've come to love his presence in Deep Purple, and his playing technique was astonishing.

Then on September 13th at the Granada Theater in Lawrence, Kansas it was my third time to see prog/metal outfit Kamelot. They keep getting better and better and new singer Tommy Karevick is a good addition to the band. Opening acts included Delain and Eklipse. Both were good in their own right.
quote:
Originally posted by vinoevelo:
Black Joe Lewis & The Honeybears @ Lee's Palace last night.

Deadly.

don't know who they are but I'm still jealous.
Saw Robert Cray Band and Mavis Staple tonight. Cray is polished but not a lot of variety in his sound. Mavis is around 80, walks with a cane (and has to sit down often), but can still belt out a tune and has Charm with a capital 'C'. She stole the show.
quote:
Arctic Monkeys on Sunday. Brill. Second best I've seen them.

Educate me a little about Brill. Who or what are they?
Going to see Wynton Marsalis with the Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra tonight doing a Big Band Holiday show. This is Marsalis and his septet along with the surviving members of the Duke Ellington Orchestra. I'm a sucker for Big Band music.
quote:
Going to see Wynton Marsalis with the Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra tonight doing a Big Band Holiday show. This is Marsalis and his septet along with the surviving members of the Duke Ellington Orchestra. I'm a sucker for Big Band music.

That sounds like fun. Orchestra hall?
quote:
Wentz Hall in Naperville.

That's a great place to hear music in Naperville--who did you see?
quote:
Originally posted by The Old Man:
quote:
Wentz Hall in Naperville.

That's a great place to hear music in Naperville--who did you see?

I was replying to Aphilla's question about the Wynton Marsalis and JLCO show tonight, which takes place at Wentz Hall.
quote:
I'm a sucker for Big Band music.

Interesting - I would not have expected that!
quote:
quote:

Interesting - I would not have expected that!

Just another layer Bill. Very complex... Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:

Hearing the music live has so much energy.

One of my first concert experiences was seeing Stan Kenton live back in the early '70s. It made a big impact on me.
quote:
Going to see Wynton Marsalis with the Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra tonight doing a Big Band Holiday show.

This was sheer greatness. If you are even remotely inclined and they are in your area, don't pass up this show. There were 16 musicians - all with solo ability and multiple opportunities throughout. Also sensational vocals by Cécile McLorin Salvant, a remarkable 24 year old singer. A truly wonderful evening.
Steve Vai at the House of Blues in Houston, Texas.

My third time to see this guitar master live and I continue to be amazed by his abilities. Even now that he's almost 50 years old it doesn't appear that he's lost any of his speed, articulation, or versatility.
A few weeks ago:

Marc Cohn at Hugh's Room on Wednesday, followed by Bruce Hornsby at Koerner Hall on Thursday.

Marc had a 2nd keyboard player (can't recall his name) and for this show he brought in John Leventhal on guitar. John is a great producer and excellent guitarist.

Bruce was a solo piano show. Brilliant as always.
quote:
quote:
Going to see Wynton Marsalis with the Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra tonight doing a Big Band Holiday show.

This was sheer greatness. If you are even remotely inclined and they are in your area, don't pass up this show. There were 16 musicians - all with solo ability and multiple opportunities throughout. Also sensational vocals by Cécile McLorin Salvant, a remarkable 24 year old singer. A truly wonderful evening.

Did they do any Christmas numbers? I have a Swing into Christmas CD that I pull out every year at this time.
quote:
Originally posted by aphilla:
quote:
quote:

Did they do any Christmas numbers? I have a Swing into Christmas CD that I pull out every year at this time.

It was all Christmas songs. Very festive.
quote:
Going to see Heart on Thursday. I'm psych'd! Banana

Had a chance to see them this summer with Jason Bonham's Led Zeppelin Experience. Lotta fun and great show!
quote:

But didn't they suck when they were popular--has something changed? Confused
quote:
quote:

Wha???????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Eek Eek Eek

Ann Wilson had one of the clearest and most powerful voices in rock, the music was not one-dimensional like so many others, the tunes have stood the test of time well, and the band's musical talents were first class. Few people I know who like rock, did not rock to Heart!

No doubt age has been little if any kinder to them than any other classic rock band of that era, but from everything I've heard, they still put on one hell of a show! Cool
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
quote:
quote:

Ann Wilson had one of the clearest and most powerful voices in rock, the music was not one-dimensional like so many others, the tunes have stood the test of time well, and the band's musical talents were first class. Few people I know who like rock, did not rock to Heart!

No doubt age has been little if any kinder to them than any other classic rock band of that era, but from everything I've heard, they still put on one hell of a show! Cool

Well, they might have sold out a bit in the 1980's.

I got to see them in 2011, and Ann can still sing like she always has! Nancy still sexy even at her age!
quote:
quote:
quote:

Saw them at Massey Hall maybe 18 months ago and both Ann and Nancy killed it. Great singing, great playing. I'd say Ann is singing better than ever.

They did a great job on the R&R Hall of Fame show, and nice to see the reunion of the original lineup (plus Roger Fisher's replacement, Howard Leese), if only for one song, and even if Roger Fisher tried as hard as he could to upstage the sisters.
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Saw them at Massey Hall maybe 18 months ago and both Ann and Nancy killed it. Great singing, great playing. I'd say Ann is singing better than ever.

They did a great job on the R&R Hall of Fame show, and nice to see the reunion of the original lineup (plus Roger Fisher's replacement, Howard Leese), if only for one song, and even if Roger Fisher tried as hard as he could to upstage the sisters.

I don't know if they're good or bad singers, they really were too minor a group for any of us to pay attention to, but the few songs I heard (their one or two hits), man were those bad.
Maybe we paid more attention up here because they were honourary Canadians.

They really did suck in the 80s. But they had some very well crafted commercial rock songs in the 70s.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I don't know if they're good or bad singers, they really were too minor a group for any of us to pay attention to, but the few songs I heard (their one or two hits), man were those bad.

Of course, to each their own when it comes to taste, be it music or wine, but there is no questioning Heart's commercial and critical success measured by sales and Grammy nominations at least:

Dreamboat Annie (1976) – 100 weeks on chart, multi-platinum selling

· Little Queen (1977) – 41 weeks on chart, multi-platinum selling

· Magazine (1978) – 25 weeks on chart, platinum selling

· Dog & Butterfly (1978) – 36 weeks on chart, multi-platinum selling

· Greatest Hits Live (1980) – 25 weeks on charts, multi-platinum selling

· Heart (1985) – 92 weeks on charts, five times platinum selling, Grammy nominated

· Bad Animals (1987) – 50 weeks on charts, three times platinum, two Grammy nominations

· Brigade (1990) – 49 weeks on the charts, multi-platinum selling, Grammy nominated

Just sayin'........ Smile
quote:
Of course, to each their own when it comes to taste, be it music or wine, but there is no questioning Heart's commercial and critical success measured by sales and Grammy nominations at least:

· Heart (1985) – 92 weeks on charts, five times platinum selling, Grammy nominated

· Bad Animals (1987) – 50 weeks on charts, three times platinum, two Grammy nominations

· Brigade (1990) – 49 weeks on the charts, multi-platinum selling, Grammy nominated

Well if I thoughts sales or Grammy's (which I think even less than than the Academy Awards) were an indicator of quality I guess I'd be impressed.
quote:
quote:

Well if I thoughts sales or Grammy's (which I think even less than than the Academy Awards) were an indicator of quality I guess I'd be impressed.

Not sure what other objective measures exist but like I said, in matters of personal taste, to each their own! Smile I sometimes (but very rarely) drink Canadian wine and am not ashamed to admit it! Wink
I'm with The Old Man concerning Heart. Meh. Although Nancy Wilson was pretty hot, still not bad truth be told.
I read the band's semi-autobiography, Kicking and Dreaming. During the 80's, if you weren't on MTV, you were dead. So their label assigned them a new woman manager. (Think the short German chick from the Austin Powers movie.) She forced them to "sex it up" with the big hair and blousy clothing to cater to the leering MTV crowd. Also had them start recording songs from other songwriters for the first time. But the sisters got in one of their own with "Barracuda". It was pointedly about their manager. (Also one of the greatest guitar riffs of all time, imo.)
quote:
I read the band's semi-autobiography, Kicking and Dreaming. During the 80's, if you weren't on MTV, you were dead. So their label assigned them a new woman manager. (Think the short German chick from the Austin Powers movie.) She forced them to "sex it up" with the big hair and blousy clothing to cater to the leering MTV crowd. Also had them start recording songs from other songwriters for the first time. But the sisters got in one of their own with "Barracuda". It was pointedly about their manager. (Also one of the greatest guitar riffs of all time, imo.)

Yeah but Barracuda, which is a good song imo, was written in 1977. Well before their downfall during the 80's.
Wow, so little love for Heart here? Eek

I've seen them four or five times over the past couple of years (including being at the RnR HoF ceremony) and they are very good as a live band. Not only does Ann still have a great/powerful voice but Nancy's guitar playing is also excellent.
quote:

I've seen them four or five times over the past couple of years (including being at the RnR HoF ceremony) and they are very good as a live band. Not only does Ann still have a great/powerful voice but Nancy's guitar playing is also excellent.

For me they're one of those bands I respect based upon their accomplishments, but they were never really my cup of tea. I'm sure many here will call blasphemy on this, but I feel the same way about The Doors, The Stones, Springsteen, and a few other legendary groups. Never got into it...
quote:
quote:

For me they're one of those bands I respect based upon their accomplishments, but they were never really my cup of tea. I'm sure many here will call blasphemy on this, but I feel the same way about The Doors, The Stones, Springsteen, and a few other legendary groups. Never got into it...

I get you on those...but for me only cause their best music (Other than Springsteen) was made either before I was even a fertilized egg or at best in diapers Smile Only the Stones even have a rotation in my iTunes catalog
Bands are all subjective, but for me Heart rocks! And they sure did last night.
First half of the performance they sang contemporary Christmas songs (it was a Christmas concert, after all.) And like any Christmas special, they brought out some guests: Richard Marx, Pat Monahan, and Shawn Colvin. Then out walked the Red Rocker himself, Sammy Hagar, for a duet with Nancy.
After the intermission, they started blasting the hits: Barracuda , Heartless , and Even It Up .
And then Nancy lit up a 2 minute guitar riff solo to introduce Crazy on You!
For their encore, they revisited their version of Stairway to Heaven, complete with a choir onstage.

Say what you will, Ann can still blow the roof off with her voice, and Nancy shows no sign of slowing, either. She is just so damn cute with her little skip-dancing, while jamming on those chords.
I was about 25' from the stage, and I know they wear stage makeup, but they sure didn't look (or act) over 40 to me.
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
quote:

Yeah but Barracuda, which is a good song imo, was written in 1977. Well before their downfall during the 80's.

Hmmm, you're right. Perhaps a re-read is in order.
Saw the Seattle Symphony and full Choral (120+ voices) perform an enthusiastic and stirring rendition of Beethoven's Ninth Symphony (The Choral) last night. Wow! My wife and I keep laughing as we catch each other continuing to hum the theme. One of the half-dozen or so greatest orchestral pieces ever written.
With my wife, daughter, Allred and Domino on Saturday, we saw the Elgin Symphony Orchestra, led by Maestro Andrew Grams, perform a program "Scottish Fantasy" including Land of the Mountain and the Flood Overture by MacCunn, Scottish Fantasy for Violin by Bruch, and Symphony No. 3 in A minor "Scottish" by Mendelssohn.

The soloist on the Bruch piece was Michael Ludwig who was simply amazing. What a fantastic evening.
Went to Vegas and saw the Zac Brown Band at the Joint in the Hard Rock Hotel. The band was amazing as usual, but the venue was really nice. I'd make a trip to Vegas just to see some good shows at the Joint.
Will be seeing Billy Joel at the Tampa Bay Times Forum on Friday Night. I really despise arena shows these days, but it's sort of a bucket list item for my fiance.
Matthew Sweet at the Belly Up two weeks ago. Was 20th anniversary of Girlfriend album tour. Rocked it out and was easy to stand right up front with less than a full house.
quote:
With my wife, daughter, Allred and Domino on Saturday, we saw the Elgin Symphony Orchestra, led by Maestro Andrew Grams, perform a program "Scottish Fantasy" including Land of the Mountain and the Flood Overture by MacCunn, Scottish Fantasy for Violin by Bruch, and Symphony No. 3 in A minor "Scottish" by Mendelssohn.

The soloist on the Bruch piece was Michael Ludwig who was simply amazing. What a fantastic evening.

Sounds great! Were we still in the area, the Haggis's would have loved to join you.
quote:
Originally posted by BOMBA503:
Matthew Sweet at the Belly Up two weeks ago. Was 20th anniversary of Girlfriend album tour. Rocked it out and was easy to stand right up front with less than a full house.

Saw him in '94. Girls I know weren't born yet. Jesus...
Cool, I saw him back then a few times also while stilling in Philly. He still seems like a pretty depressed guy. Never addresses the audience, no stories, back to audience for much of the show but he also played and sounded great.
quote:
Originally posted by haggis:
quote:

Sounds great! Were we still in the area, the Haggis's would have loved to join you.

The Haggis's at Scottish Fantasy? That should have happened. Big Grin
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by haggis:
quote:

The Haggis's at Scottish Fantasy? That should have happened. Big Grin

Precisely!
Tony Bennett

Blessed to have seen him for the third time in my life tonight, and it was certainly the best show of the three. What an amazing talent and personality. A true American treasure.
Flew to Miami for Arctic Monkeys. What a city. New fave for sure. Brilliant spot. A touch warmer than Toronto, you might say.
I saw an ensemble at St Martin-in-the-Fields Friday night. I realized I was too jetlagged to stay for the second half but the two Brandenburgs and the Vivaldi flute concerto they did in the first half were fantastic. A nice time. It was interesting to hear the crowd react to the harpsichord solo section in #5 - as if they had never heard it before.
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
Going to see Billy Joel this Sunday.

Got our tickets to catch him at MSG in July and looking forward to it. Hope you have a blast!
Brit Floyd (Pink Floyd tribute band) at Riverside Theater in Milwaukee. Don't discount this group as just another tribute band. Their light show - complete with lasers and circular projection screen - was only slightly less impressive than the real Floyd. And the musicianship was flawless.
At the Elgin Symphony Orchestra tonight we saw the Dvorak cello concerto. Fantastic piece and great performance. Carter Brey was the cello soloist.

It was bracketed by a couple of Nielson pieces. The Nielson symphony afterwards begins with what sounds like a cadenza to wrap something up. Sadly the musicians kept playing what was written for another half hour or so.
Tonight at Massey Hall: Emmylou Harris and Daniel Lanois - the 20th anniversary of the Wrecking Ball album that Lanois produced & played on.
I am indulging my heavy metal self again, having attended an Iced Earth concert in Milwaukee recently. European bands Sabaton and ReVamp were opening acts.

This was my second time to see Iced Earth but really attended to catch ReVamp for whom Ms. Floor Jansen is the singer. Floor is the current singer in Finish symphonic metal band Nightwish and I think she is really fantastic.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by vinoevelo:
The war on drugs @ the horseshoe

How was it? Their single is an ace tune.

Sold out horsehsoe sucks as a venue. Show was otherwise good. Ive grown into a big fan of all their albums over the past year.
quote:
Saw Neil Young at Carnegie Hall last week. Solo and acoustic.

Saw him do this at the Auditorium Theater in Chicago around 1971. Hope it was better than what I saw.
Bruce Springsteen last night in Pittsburgh, 3 hours of non stop Rock n' Roll. Awesome as ever, including an awesome version of Ghost of Tom Joad with Tom Morello from Rage Against the Machine
One more time to catch the current Iced Earth tour (with Sabaton, ReVamp, and The Scourge) at the Scout Bar in Houston. Sabaton and ReVamp stole the show again.
quote:
Originally posted by Primordialsoup:
Joan Osborne tonight with my lovely bride.
A couple of Brit Floyd shows last month with my cousin. Highly recommended if you like Floyd.

How is Joan holding up? I loved her stuff back in the 90's.
quote:
quote:
Joan Osborne tonight with my lovely bride.
A couple of Brit Floyd shows last month with my cousin. Highly recommended if you like Floyd.

How is Joan holding up? I loved her stuff back in the 90's.

Aging, but still a cool chick. We met her after the show and my wife shared a story of how she and her dad would go to see her in NYC years ago. Probably made her feel older- heheh.
Coldplay @ the Beacon in NYC this week. Yeah yeah, I know, Coldplay gets a horrid rap with many, but their music actually lifts my spirits, so to each their own. Show was only 1hr 10min so a big boo to that though.
quote:
Originally posted by gigabit:
quote:
Show was only 1hr 10min...

Eek

When we saw them on their last tour it was a solid 2 hrs...but that was before the 'conscious uncoupling' from Gwenyth
quote:
Originally posted by patespo1:
quote:
quote:

Eek

When we saw them on their last tour it was a solid 2 hrs...but that was before the 'conscious uncoupling' from Gwenyth

I've seen them a couple of times in the past five years and the shows were always 2+ hours of high energy.
quote:
Originally posted by patespo1:
quote:
quote:

Eek

A partial quote from an online comic strip, Basic Instructions:

"The lead singer of Coldplay is getting a divorce from his wife, the actress Gwyneth Paltrow."
"That is unfortunate. I hope it doesn't make his band's next album sound all morose."
"Actually, he's been married to her for like a decade, and his music has been kinda mopey that whole time. I guess if his next album sounds like Katrina and the Waves, we'll know what the problem was."
Hour long gigs are typical in Europe.

Also, that Coldplay gig was a buzz gig, not an actual tour concert. Their encore alone will be an hour. Roll Eyes
Foals tonight with Cage the Elephant opening. I might try and sneak in the Lana Del Rey golddust gig beforehand, but I doubt it.
Elbow

A British band that can fill wembley with ease but only fills a ~800 venue in Toronto. Then again seeing them in such a small place with everyone singing in harmony along with them was pretty amazing.
Elbow are top. Saw them at Sound Academy last time they were here. Wanted to hit that Danforth gig but had work.