Went to our big festival out here in San Diego two weekends ago. Headliners were Foo Fighters (always amazing), Imagine Dragons (really good show), and Katy Perry (I kind of love a pop singer). Jimmy Eat World crushed it, Post Malone was pretty freaking good, and Better than Ezra also were surprisingly good. Robert Plant was fine, but I’m not a classic rock fan. Cake, who I like and have seen a couple of times before, kind of sucked. Other acts included Billy Idol, Earth Wind and Fire, Wiz Khalifa, Halsey. Always a good time.

We went up to see the Avett Brothers on Saturday at BR Cohn winery. Holy cow is that a cool venue. Decent sound, amazing view, and not a bad seat in the house. And the Avett Bros were awesome as per usual, though they didn’t have their violin player. They put on a great show, and always sound so clean. No matter what one listens to, these guys will impress you live.

azwiese posted:

Went to our big festival out here in San Diego two weekends ago. Headliners were Foo Fighters (always amazing), Imagine Dragons (really good show), and Katy Perry (I kind of love a pop singer). Jimmy Eat World crushed it, Post Malone was pretty freaking good, and Better than Ezra also were surprisingly good. Robert Plant was fine, but I’m not a classic rock fan. Cake, who I like and have seen a couple of times before, kind of sucked. Other acts included Billy Idol, Earth Wind and Fire, Wiz Khalifa, Halsey. Always a good time.

We went up to see the Avett Brothers on Saturday at BR Cohn winery. Holy cow is that a cool venue. Decent sound, amazing view, and not a bad seat in the house. And the Avett Bros were awesome as per usual, though they didn’t have their violin player. They put on a great show, and always sound so clean. No matter what one listens to, these guys will impress you live.

Avett Bros. are coming to Key West in November - playing at Truman Waterfront amphitheatre

Arctic Monkeys. that was really cool, I did not expect at all! missed courses worth that!

...........................................................................................................................................................   “his lips drink water, but his heart drinks wine” ― E.E. Cummings                                               keep calm if you need some help with college writing works with WritingCheap        ...........................................................................................................................................................

Heading to Music City this weekend with my best bud of 50+ years to see Eagles v Titans. Found out that Kansas is playing the Ryman Auditorium Saturday on their 40th Anniversary Point of No Return tour. My friend and I have gone to hundreds of shows since we were teenagers. He's been in the seat next to me for at least 2/3rd's of the shows I have been to. The first concert we ever went to was in high school. It was the original Kansas Point of No Return tour 40 years ago. Poetic justice to see this one together again. Cant wait!

Quick f/u to Kansas concert Sat night. Seeing a concert at the Ryman is truly a treat. From pre-game cocktails at Legends its a short walk into the auditorium which feels more like a church than a concert venue. Most concerts are held in venues that were not designed for music and the sound quality was excellent relative to most concerts I attend. They started with an acoustic set which was a bit sleepy, rolled into a collection of rocking hits, then onto Point of No Return straight thru which they killed. Came back for obvious encore of Carry On My Wayward Son which was great as well. Only the drummer and one guitarist remain from original line up. Keyboards and fiddle were great. Second guitarist and singer adequate. All in all a great nostalgic show for my friend and I as well as crossing a concert at the Ryman of the bucket list.

Just got back from a John Mellencamp show. Great seats maybe 20 rows from the stage.  Started with a short film about Mellencamp's career, which was weird but interesting.  The guy looks good, sounds good, the band was first class and very tight, sang all the hits but I Need a Lover but that was done instrumentally by a first class violinist and an keyboardist on accordion (yes, really).  Original show by top notch musicians.  Highly recommended to fans of classic rock!

Steely Dan at Shea's in Buffalo. Quite the theatre, beautifully restored. Becker may be gone, but Donald is still Donald. And the band is always superb:

Jon Herington - guitar
Keith Carlock - drums
Freddie Washington - bass
Jim Beard - keys
Walt Weiskopf, Michael Leonhart, Roger Rosenberg, Jim Pugh - horns
Carolyn Leonhart, Cindy Mizelle, La Tanya Hall - vocals

Wow. If you don't know these names, google is your friend. 

sunnylea57 posted:

Steely Dan at Shea's in Buffalo. Quite the theatre, beautifully restored. Becker may be gone, but Donald is still Donald. And the band is always superb:

Jon Herington - guitar
Keith Carlock - drums
Freddie Washington - bass
Jim Beard - keys
Walt Weiskopf, Michael Leonhart, Roger Rosenberg, Jim Pugh - horns
Carolyn Leonhart, Cindy Mizelle, La Tanya Hall - vocals

Wow. If you don't know these names, google is your friend. 

The Danettes should have their own show!

robsutherland posted:

Just got tickets for Mumford & Sons on Dec. A guilty pleasure. 

No reason to feel guilty.  They are a great band, and really awesome live.  I wish they were making their way through San Diego on that tour, but they just played Orange County at Eddie Vedder's Ohana Fest, so I doubt they'll make it next year.  

This month:

Australian Pink Floyd- meh- been spoiled by originals and better Floyd cover bands

Ray Lamontagne- an acoustic set with just him and John Stirratt from Wilco on bass. Ray has such an original voice. Mellow show that was pretty enjoyable.

Florence + Machine Sat night with my daughter. Woman power on display! Florence has a powerful voice with good range and she is full of energy: a whirling dervish on stage and off. For one song she came off stage, circled the floor crowd (which was general admission/standing roof only), dancing all the way to the back and then worked her way right into the middle the floor crowd while singing- in bare feet! Supported by a decent 8 piece band which included violin, harp, 2 keyboards, 2 percussion, bass and guitar to create a fully immersive sound. Good stuff.

primordialsoup posted:

This month:

Australian Pink Floyd- meh- been spoiled by originals and better Floyd cover bands

if you haven't seen Brit Floyd you will want to check them out. My hard-to-please Floyd-loving buddy and I liked them enough to have seen them twice so far. The band leader was with the Aussie PF but left after many years because he wanted a more professional show.  

Last night at the Belly Up Tavern saw a favorite from the 90's, power pop rock star Matthew Sweet. Ive seen him several times since he burst on the scene with his Girlfriend album but outside of the first show this was easily the most memorable. It was like having one of your favorites offer to play your backyard, you invite all your friends and none of them show up. The smallest crowd Ive ever seen at a concert, Id guess there were about 200 attendees. Kinda felt bad for him but those of us who came loved every second as he ripped through a great set list that included everything i could have hoped for. 

bman posted:
primordialsoup posted:

This month:

if you haven't seen Brit Floyd you will want to check them out. My hard-to-please Floyd-loving buddy and I liked them enough to have seen them twice so far. The band leader was with the Aussie PF but left after many years because he wanted a more professional show.  

Yes, Brit Floyd is easily the better of the two.

bomba503 posted:

Last night at the Belly Up Tavern saw a favorite from the 90's, power pop rock star Matthew Sweet. Ive seen him several times since he burst on the scene with his Girlfriend album but outside of the first show this was easily the most memorable. It was like having one of your favorites offer to play your backyard, you invite all your friends and none of them show up. The smallest crowd Ive ever seen at a concert, Id guess there were about 200 attendees. Kinda felt bad for him but those of us who came loved every second as he ripped through a great set list that included everything i could have hoped for. 

I'm jealous. I wish he'd swing by Montreal sometime.

👌Steve

Was last show in US. Heading to Europe in December. Great live performer though he's really uncomfortable on stage. When he talks to the audience he's visibly trembling. It's a shame.

I posted a video of Girlfriend I took. Missed the intro but got the rest really well. Easy to find on you tube. Just enter venue and his name. Got one of Divine Intervention I'll probably add though not quite as a good a video. Enjoy

Found it. Thanks for posting. Do you know who the other guitarist is? Tough gig. Here you play the lead parts originally recorded by Robert Quine or Richard Lloyd. He's not bad though.

Matthew looks like he's put on a little weight over the years.

Funny Steve, we think so much alike. His name is Jason Victor. Heading in I was wondering who was gonna be on lead as it's a tough gig to follow those before him. My first show Ivan Julien filled in for Richard Lloyd and was awesome. Eventually saw both Richard and Robert play with him. Robert Quine was my favorite and saw him a few times with Lou Reed. Ironically  today is anniversary of Lou's passing

As for Matthew he's been big for a while and actually a bit smaller than last time around. Been through a lot and has two new albums that are most up beat in a while. Both worth a listen

Last night we went to a Motown/R&B show, with a tight 8-piece band and a couple of really good vocalists. I think most of the musicians are local, but the singers and their guitarist are from Detroit. They played a couple hours of Temptations, Smoky, Four Tops, Marvin and Tammy, Supremes, and a really nice tribute to the late Aretha.

What really made this show stand out was the venue: Blue Frog Studio, a recording studio with around 60-80 (hard to count them with people dancing between the seats) folding chairs set up in front of the musicians.  The sound quality was amazing, maybe the best I've ever heard in a live show of any kind, really crisp and clear, plus everybody's really close to the band. We're going to go back next month for a Steely Dan tribute, if we can still get tickets.

pinotlvr posted:

Got tickets to see Queen + Adam Lambert next August.  While no doubt, there is no replacing Freddy, it seems Lambert does about as good a job as can be expected from what I've seen

D saw them last year with a friend and raved about the show. 

I have Metallica in queue for March in Grand Rapids then Iron Maiden locally in August.

thelostverse posted:

Going to see Los Lobos tonight.  They're doing an electric set and an acoustic set.  Always a treat.

Please post notes.

It's been a long time since I've seen them live. Remember some really fun shows in the mid-late 80's. I checked out their tour schedule but there are no Canadian stops. ME, NH and MA shows early next year though. Hmmmm.

steve8 posted:
thelostverse posted:

Going to see Los Lobos tonight.  They're doing an electric set and an acoustic set.  Always a treat.

Please post notes.

It's been a long time since I've seen them live. Remember some really fun shows in the mid-late 80's. I checked out their tour schedule but there are no Canadian stops. ME, NH and MA shows early next year though. Hmmmm.

Great show, especially the acoustic set, which was worth the price of admission by itself.  The only down side was that they never played La Bamba or Will the Wolf Survive - two songs Mrs. TLV was looking forward to. 

A follow up to my Richard Thompson post. 

It was hard to believe that the Queen Elizabeth Theatre was only half full for this concert. The band was on fire. I think it’s my 7th time seeing him in Toronto - solo, duo, trio, full 6 piece band - and he just gets better and better. 

If you're into virtuoso guitar playing, you need to see RT in concert. No one plays like Richard. 

Here’s a full concert from a few months ago, with generally the same set list as we saw. 

Just listen to his solos in any of the songs from this set — like the last half of “Can’t Win”.

Some highlights:

Take Care the Road You Choose at 11:40
Can’t Win at 22:25
1952 Vincent Black Lightning at 41:55

The Revivalists @The Beacon in NYC. Was lucky enough to get an All-Access Backstage Pass so I got to meet the band (again) and wander about. One of the coolest things, outside the show itself, was the elevator at the venue that takes you to 8 different floors with small separate rooms for band, family, friends, staff, etc... The inside of that elevator must have had hundreds of signatures from artists who had performed there over the years. They covered all the walls and ceiling of that small elevator. I didn't get much time in there, but I can only imagine the great autographs from that excellent venue. A fun night to be sure.

bman posted:
thelostverse posted:

Going to see Randy Bachman tonight - one of my favorite singers.

You may be shocked to see him, he looks very old and thin. We saw him perform with Fred Turner at the Invictus Games closing ceremony last year.  

Well, he is getting older.  About 15 years ago, he was very overweight and had surgery, I believe a gastric bypass and lost a lot of weight.  I don't know how thin he is now, but he looked pretty good a few years after the surgery.

sunnylea57 posted:

Richard Thompson Electric Trio @ Queen Elizabeth Theatre

So he's playing at my favorite small club ten minutes away on Monday night. Gonna try to catch the show based upon your posts

Honestly know nothing about him. Debating whether to listen to some of his stuff or go in cold. Leaning toward going in cold.

bomba503 posted:
sunnylea57 posted:

Richard Thompson Electric Trio @ Queen Elizabeth Theatre

So he's playing at my favorite small club ten minutes away on Monday night. Gonna try to catch the show based upon your posts

Honestly know nothing about him. Debating whether to listen to some of his stuff or go in cold. Leaning toward going in cold.

Oh very cool. I just checked and it's his trio. It'd be great to see him in a small club. 

If you DO want to listen in advance, the video I posted on pg 2 of this thread is a good place to start. It's a full 100 minute concert from this past summer.

Hope you go, and hope you like it.

Gonna do my best and it's a really small club. My favorite venue and same place I saw the Matthew Sweet show a couple months back. Should be no problem to get a comfortable spot within 10 ft of him. If you ever make it back here, I'd love to take you to a show here. Amazing place and there's even a decent urban winery (they bring in grapes from Napa, Sonoma, Paso etc.) Across the street to pregame at

Randy Rogers Band at the San Diego House of Blues.  Not too much country music comes out west, unless they are part of a big headline show (Luke Bryan/Kenny Chesney etc) with 15K people.  Really fun to see it in a smaller venue.  Not quite as much fun as seeing them in their element in Austin, but I'll take what I can get.  

Went to see St. Paul & the Broken Bones @ The Capitol Theater in Port Chester NY last night. The band and Paul Janeway were stellar. What a voice! I got lucky (again) with a seat in the first row loge dead center stage. The seat was so good that 6 different photographers were taking turns shooting pics in the isle right next to me most of the night. The night was topped off when Paul walked through the standing room floor crowd and then came up to the balcony and walked right down my row. Got to high five him twice (he has small hands). He actually stopped right next to me and sang and had some fun with he balcony rail for awhile- all decked out in a gold sequined cape. The guy has some showmanship in him for sure. A little James Brown, Elton John, and others. What a way to cap off another great musical night.getPart-8

Attachments

Photos (1)

Man, that looks cool! We were hoping to go see St Paul and the broken bones in Phoenix, as they are playing with Eddie Vedder and Jimmy Eat World at a small festival, but we pushed our Spring Training trip back a few weeks.  They are amazing live, and definitely a unique sound these days.

azwiese posted:

Saw Bob Seger last night. I didn’t know I knew so many Seger songs. Great show. Obviously his voice isn’t what it once was, but it was still pretty awesome.

Interesting. I didn't know he was still active. I saw him once in 1977 as part of a bill with Yes, The J. Geils Band and Donovan. I grew up on Detroit radio so I don't really need to ever hear any of his songs again, although I recently heard the original version of Heavy Music and remembered how good it was.

Ryan Bingham.  Totes the line between Texas country and Americana folk.  Was an awesome show.  Just released a new album and is playing a majority of it this tour. He didn't even play "The Weary Kind", which won him a Grammy a few years ago from the movie Crazy Heart (Jeff Bridges sings it in the movie).  

Went to see Doug Paisley on Friday night at Quai des Brumes. Canadian alt-country/folk singer songwriter. I had only heard a few songs before the show and didn't realize he has been at it for about 10 years. Small intimate venue and pretty good show.

pinotlvr posted:

Well, my 2019 Concert season is about to get revved up:

4/11 - KISS

5/3 - Judas Priest

7/18 - Iron Maiden

7/20 - Iron Maiden

8/16 - Queen + Adam Lambert

9/21 - Disturbed

9/26 - Phil Collins (The wife gets at least one per year hehe)

Iron Maiden and Queen/Adam Lambert are also in my calendar. Just added Megadeth - unbelievably they are playing the outdoor riverside music venue in the city I live in. Not only is it 15 minutes from my home, but last year for shows Goose Island and Founders tall cans were $7 each.  #winning \m/

My favorite band, James, is gracing this side of the Atlantic again so going to see them twice in two weeks, Toronto on July 5th with a sound check meet & greet before hand and then in Buffalo on the 18th. They are co-touring with the Psychedelic Furs who should be fun in their own right. 

robsutherland posted:

My favorite band, James, is gracing this side of the Atlantic again so going to see them twice in two weeks, Toronto on July 5th with a sound check meet & greet before hand and then in Buffalo on the 18th. They are co-touring with the Psychedelic Furs who should be fun in their own right. 

Damn. I checked out the James website and no Montreal date. There is a two day gap between London (Ontario wtf??) and Boston, so I'll cross my fingers for a late addition to the schedule.

The Furs. I saw them in 1982 at the Concert Hall in Toronto on the Forever Now tour. 

Last night at Danforth Music Hall: Patty Griffin

I've seen her a number of times, both on her own and with "Three Girls and Their Buddy" (Patty G, Shawn Colvin, Emmylou Harris & Buddy Miller), and have loved every show... but this one didn't do it for me. Don't know if she has a cold, but her voice was nasally and her pitch was flat a lot of the time. And three quarters of the set was from her new album which I'm having a hard time liking. Great 2-piece band with her, though. David Pulkingham on guitar/keys and Conrad Choucroun on percussion/guitar/keys.

Last Night - KISS at Amalie Arena in Tampa.  Glad I finally got to see them and I truly hope they do indeed hang it up after this End of the Road Tour.  The stage show is awesome...but no doubt Paul can't hit the same notes anymore.  Certainly should have seen them in my teen years but still happy I saw them.

pinotlvr posted:

Last Night - KISS at Amalie Arena in Tampa.  Glad I finally got to see them and I truly hope they do indeed hang it up after this End of the Road Tour.  The stage show is awesome...but no doubt Paul can't hit the same notes anymore.  Certainly should have seen them in my teen years

You mean like 1977? London (Ontario) Gardens with Cheap Trick as opening act. I vaguely remember it being fun.

steve8 posted:
pinotlvr posted:

Last Night - KISS at Amalie Arena in Tampa.  Glad I finally got to see them and I truly hope they do indeed hang it up after this End of the Road Tour.  The stage show is awesome...but no doubt Paul can't hit the same notes anymore.  Certainly should have seen them in my teen years

You mean like 1977? London (Ontario) Gardens with Cheap Trick as opening act. I vaguely remember it being fun.

I was at that show myself! Sat almost parallel to stage right a few rows up. 

steve8 posted:
pinotlvr posted:

September 6, 1976 at Varsity Stadium. I vaguely remember being horrified.

The full lineup that day was Artful Dodger, KISS, Blue Oyster Cult and Rush. (I had to look it up on setlist.fm.)

Went to see Spiritualized at the Corona Theater last night. Not an exciting show as they don't have much of a stage presence. Jason Pierce sits through the entire concert and barely said a word to the audience. That said, very proficient musicians capable of producing a lot of noise. Three guitarists, including Pierce, made some seriously heavy music along with a good light show which was pretty intense at times. Overall though I'd say their (Pierce's) music is better listened to on a good sound system from the comfort of a couch.

sunnylea57 posted:
jcubed posted:

Wishbone Ash

Really? Loved them back in their heyday. Who is in the band these days? And how do they sound?

Yes. They are on a 50th anniversary tour. They will be up in the northeast over the next couple weeks. 

Andy Powell with the Flying V guitar is the only original member in the band. I am not really familiar with their catalog but a friend had an extra ticket. He saw Wishbone Ash at his first concert around 1970 when they opened for Alice Cooper.

Sounded good. Straight-ahead dueling guitar rock.

J3

jcubed posted:
sunnylea57 posted:
jcubed posted:

Wishbone Ash

Really? Loved them back in their heyday. Who is in the band these days? And how do they sound?

Yes. They are on a 50th anniversary tour. They will be up in the northeast over the next couple weeks. 

Andy Powell with the Flying V guitar is the only original member in the band. I am not really familiar with their catalog but a friend had an extra ticket. He saw Wishbone Ash at his first concert around 1970 when they opened for Alice Cooper.

Sounded good. Straight-ahead dueling guitar rock.

J3

Well now you have me listening to their first 4 albums on Apple Music. Some of it doesn't hold up, but some is still pretty good.

Went to "An initimate Evening with the National" last night.  It opened with a screening of Mike Mills short film 'I am Easy to Find' followed by a Q&A with the band hosted by Feist.   The show itself was mostly new material off their upcoming album that was generally good in that melancholy National sort of way.  The encore covered some of their older more familiar work. Fesit came out to sing with them on a few songs. Mrs. VeV got very excited when we spotted the Rural Alberta Advantage sitting two rows in front of us.   I'm used to more raucous/noisy shows but this was a pretty special experience.

Went to my annual (and hopefully final) Stagecoach.  A bit too pop oriented for my taste this year (Luke Bryan, Sam Hunt, Jason Aldean).  The saving grace was the first night, when Bret Michaels took the second stage and knocked out an hour's worth of Poison hits.  And it wasn't country versions, it was a straight up Poison concert.  It was 11 year old me's dream come true.  

Also ran up to Redondo Beach to a new festival they have in order to see Slightly Stoopid play. They played the set before Bob Weir.  I'm not a dead-head by any means, so it was just drinking time for me.  But Weir sounded good. Not my jam, but not the worst music I've ever heard. Caught a bit of Chris Robinson's band As the Crow Flies.  They weren't bad either.  And Chris Robinson hasn't changed in like 20 years.  

Friday Night saw Judas Priest in Hollywood, FL.  Really mixed up the set vs. the last time I saw them.  Played some stuff not played since their Epitaph Tour and even songs not played since the 80's and early 90's.  Always great seeing a mature band reaching deep into their catalog vs. playing the same greatest hits set year of year.

A couple of years I was at Kent's concert in Finland. I’m going to see Aurora this summer, very excited. She’ll be performing in St Petersburg, Russia, and I’m actually seeking for a company. In addition to the concert I’d also like to explore the city, maybe take a tour here petersburg.expert If you’re interested in either the concert or the tour, please write me! There’s not much time left, I’m sorry for the off topic!

I'm going to see Hootie and the Blowfish on Saturday night.

Funny story:  My wedding anniversary is coming up, and so I am struggling to figure out what to buy as an anniversary gift.  The "theme" for the anniversary is "music" so I decide to look some local concert tickets, and Hootie and the Blowfish are playing this weekend.  Perfect timing, as my wife enjoys Darius Rucker's music, as do I.  So I buy two tickets as a gift, Section 2 (center), row N.  

I mention to her that I got an awesome gift for her this year.  She says "I got you an awesome gift too."   - I can see exactly what's going to happen.  Turns out she bought tickets to the same concert, Section 2 (center), row N.

Looks like we are taking some friends with us.

Rothko posted:

I'm going to see Hootie and the Blowfish on Saturday night.

Funny story:  My wedding anniversary is coming up, and so I am struggling to figure out what to buy as an anniversary gift.  The "theme" for the anniversary is "music" so I decide to look some local concert tickets, and Hootie and the Blowfish are playing this weekend.  Perfect timing, as my wife enjoys Darius Rucker's music, as do I.  So I buy two tickets as a gift, Section 2 (center), row N.  

I mention to her that I got an awesome gift for her this year.  She says "I got you an awesome gift too."   - I can see exactly what's going to happen.  Turns out she bought tickets to the same concert, Section 2 (center), row N.

Looks like we are taking some friends with us.

GMTA - good minds think alike

Not a concert but my cousin and I attended the Gilmour auction @Christie's in NYC on Thursday. He plays in a Floyd cover band. We each had a paddle but it was an impossible dream. Had our eyes on a few items that we thought we could bid on even if they exceeded (low) estimates by 5-10x. Everything sold for 10-100x estimate! I was eyeing a lap steel estimated at 1-2k and it sold for $300k! I was hoping to be in the running for around $10k. Dreamer.

The day before we attended the viewing and got to see the over 100 guitars. That alone was pretty fun. This auction really set a new bar for guitars (and amps and guitar cases!).

Went to see James, The Psychedelic Furs and The Killers on Sunday pm.

James was hands down the best of the three. A shame the set was only one hour as they didn't play everything I would have liked to hear.

The Furs...appalling. These guys used to be a guitar band. Now it's the Richard Butler show with a single guitarist on mute and everything sounding like their bigger hits which were total sell outs anyway.  Pretty in Pink was neutered to the point I wasn't even sure that's what it was when they started playing it. They finished with India, which was easily the best performance of their set, but too little, too late. This ruined my memory of the show I saw in 1982 at The Concert Hall in Toronto.

The Killers. Not that familiar with them and that's the way it's going to stay. Way too slick for me. The drummer is pretty good though.

Saw the same show in Toronto, same feelings. I'm a massive James fan and they are a better live band than studio one. We got to go to the sound check and do a meet and greet with them before the show which was amazing.

The furs, a friend turned to me after the first song and said "cocaine is a hell of a drug". Stoned out of their minds and a drunk 60 year old office worker doing karaoke would sound better. We along with a few hundred others were streaming out the door by song four. Appalling. 

robsutherland posted:

Saw the same show in Toronto, same feelings. I'm a massive James fan and they are a better live band than studio one. We got to go to the sound check and do a meet and greet with them before the show which was amazing.

The furs, a friend turned to me after the first song and said "cocaine is a hell of a drug". Stoned out of their minds and a drunk 60 year old office worker doing karaoke would sound better. We along with a few hundred others were streaming out the door by song four. Appalling. 

Next Festivus I'll be drunk and 62. We can pull out a bluetooth speaker and I'll do some Butler karaoke. You can decide which was better. 

Seriously, sorry it sucked. Hate when that happens.

Not much of a concert guy but through work and some arm twisting I ended up about 10-15 feet from the stage at the Rolling Stone's concert at Burl's creek last week. 

Have to say, these guys(Mick) can still rock. Keith Richards sang 2 songs which couldn't have ended sooner but overall they were pretty tight (for the Stones). Gimme Shelter, Angie, Midnight Rambler were the highlights for me.  

Attachments

Videos (1)
joined_video_2c5c4d378d624f03813830c547571545
bomba503 posted:

Britt Floyd. Great stage presence, very good vocals and instrumentals. The gal who sang on Great Gig in the Sky killed it

Love these guys.  Very true to the original versions of the tunes and the musicians and singers are tight.  Seen them twice and will see them every time they come to town!

sunnylea57 posted:
robsutherland posted:

Next Festivus I'll be drunk and 62. We can pull out a bluetooth speaker and I'll do some Butler karaoke. You can decide which was better. 

Seriously, sorry it sucked. Hate when that happens.

"Heeeeey kids, shake it loose together.... the spotlights been hitting something thats been known to yada yada...  hey wait... what day is it? Is this thing plugged in?"

steve8 posted:

Went to see James, The Psychedelic Furs and The Killers on Sunday pm.

James was hands down the best of the three. A shame the set was only one hour as they didn't play everything I would have liked to hear.

The Furs...appalling. These guys used to be a guitar band. Now it's the Richard Butler show with a single guitarist on mute and everything sounding like their bigger hits which were total sell outs anyway.  Pretty in Pink was neutered to the point I wasn't even sure that's what it was when they started playing it. They finished with India, which was easily the best performance of their set, but too little, too late. This ruined my memory of the show I saw in 1982 at The Concert Hall in Toronto.

The Killers. Not that familiar with them and that's the way it's going to stay. Way too slick for me. The drummer is pretty good though.

How is it possible to not be that familiar with the Killers?  Like them or not, they are one of the biggest bands (probably with Coldplay) of the last 15 years

Mr Brightside is one of the best songs of the 2000s in my opinion - and is a perfect driving/running song - and one it is difficult to avoid

jcocktosten posted:

How is it possible to not be that familiar with the Killers?  Like them or not, they are one of the biggest bands (probably with Coldplay) of the last 15 years

Mr Brightside is one of the best songs of the 2000s in my opinion - and is a perfect driving/running song - and one it is difficult to avoid

I'd heard some of the songs before, including the one you mention, but none of them have done much for me. Not enough to seek out more. His voice is kind of irritating and considering some of the music I like, that is an achievement. Don't like their cover of Shadowplay either. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one JC.

Went to see Sebadoh at Bar Le Ritz PDB a couple of nights ago. Small venue, excellent show. No longer slacker, lo-fi misfits, they are tight. Great to hear Soul and Fire as well as Brand New Love. Clearly this tour is on a shoestring budget as Lou Barlow was working the merchandise table himself after the show.

steve8 posted:

Went to see Sebadoh at Bar Le Ritz PDB a couple of nights ago. Small venue, excellent show. No longer slacker, lo-fi misfits, they are tight. Great to hear Soul and Fire as well as Brand New Love. Clearly this tour is on a shoestring budget as Lou Barlow was working the merchandise table himself after the show.

Touring musicians are pretty much traveling shirt salesmen these days, since nobody believes they should have to pay for music anymore.

billhike posted:
steve8 posted:

Touring musicians are pretty much traveling shirt salesmen these days, since nobody believes they should have to pay for music anymore.

That's certainly sad for sure!  Its why I refuse to use streaming services and still buy my music, since I know the artists I listen to get completely bent over and screwed by streaming services.  

Went to see Mac McAnally last night at City Winery in Chicago.  He had Eric Darken on percussion with him, and Nadirah Shakoor was in the house, sitting right next to me before she got up on stage and sang a few songs.  It was an exceptional show last night, especially given that they were at Alpine Valley the night before with Buffet and the full band.  He's such a great songwriter, and the stories between the songs are almost as good as the music. 

thelostverse posted:

Went to see Mac McAnally last night at City Winery in Chicago.  He had Eric Darken on percussion with him, and Nadirah Shakoor was in the house, sitting right next to me before she got up on stage and sang a few songs.  It was an exceptional show last night, especially given that they were at Alpine Valley the night before with Buffet and the full band.  He's such a great songwriter, and the stories between the songs are almost as good as the music. 

We met him and Jerry Jeff Walker at an outdoor concert in the Keys about 8-9 years ago.   FKG introduced herself to Jerry Jeff, who introduced himself to her and she goes, yeah I know, we are hear to watch you play - it was funnier than it reads

jcocktosten posted:
thelostverse posted:

We met him and Jerry Jeff Walker at an outdoor concert in the Keys about 8-9 years ago.   FKG introduced herself to Jerry Jeff, who introduced himself to her and she goes, yeah I know, we are hear to watch you play - it was funnier than it reads

thelostverse posted:
jcocktosten posted:
thelostverse posted:

Same concert after many hours and many acts, I was drinking AP Vin but out of a red solo cup by that point and one of our neighbors with whom we had been speaking graciously attempts to share some of the beers he had just gotten (there was free beer at the event) turning my AP Vin from pinot to binot.   I did not have the heart to say anything

bomba503 posted:

Steve8 

Bit of a drive but Matthew Sweet is playing Halifax Urban folk festival 9/1 and 9/2

I did see that but it is indeed a bit of a drive. Call it 14 hours. I found it odd that he's going that far to play and not play any other gigs up here while in the neighbourhood.

Bryan Ferry at Sony Centre in Toronto. Promoted  as “Bryan Ferry performs Avalon”, he actually only did six of that album’s 10 tracks. The rest of the 2 hour show was a mix of other Roxy Music classics and the best of his solo career. Absolutely stellar band - 2 guitars, keys, violinist/keyboardist, sax/keyboardist, bass, drums, and 2 backup singers. At times there were 3 people playing keys, recreating that lush synth-based Roxy sound. Overall, they gave the Roxy Music songs a more muscular and sinewy sound. They had a harder, funkier edge. A bonus was having Chris Spedding on guitar. He’s now 75 and hasn’t lost a step.

The Old Man posted:
sunnylea57 posted:

A bonus was having Chris Spedding on guitar. He’s now 75 and hasn’t lost a step.

Chris Spedding! I haven't heard his name in decades. I first heard him from his days with Jack Bruce.

TOM, if you want to see what Spedding is up to these days, here's a clip of Roxy Music's performance on the R&RHOF show earlier this year. Spedding in on the far right, up on the riser. Grey hair and a little paunchy (but I guess that describes most of the original members of the band).

The band in this clip is mostly the same band he had at the concert I saw, except of course for the three other original Roxy guys. But Chris Spedding, the bassist, drummer, keyboardist, female sax/keys, and two backup singers are the same. 

https://youtu.be/tEg87QTdwiI

Saw Midland last week. Pretty much my favorite country band in the world right now.

Tonight we saw Jimmy Eat World and Third Eye Blind. JEW was awesome (disclaimer...they are my favorite band), but Third Eye Blind wasn’t too bad either. Jenkins talks too much about nothing, but their popular songs are really good. Apparently they bit off more than they could chew though, as they closed the general admission lawn and put those people in seats (venue had 18000 capacity). First time I’d seen that before. 

sunnylea57 posted:
The Old Man posted:
sunnylea57 posted:

A bonus was having Chris Spedding on guitar. He’s now 75 and hasn’t lost a step.

Chris Spedding! I haven't heard his name in decades. I first heard him from his days with Jack Bruce.

TOM, if you want to see what Spedding is up to these days, here's a clip of Roxy Music's performance on the R&RHOF show earlier this year. Spedding in on the far right, up on the riser. Grey hair and a little paunchy (but I guess that describes most of the original members of the band).

The band in this clip is mostly the same band he had at the concert I saw, except of course for the three other original Roxy guys. But Chris Spedding, the bassist, drummer, keyboardist, female sax/keys, and two backup singers are the same. 

https://youtu.be/tEg87QTdwiI

Great, I always like him.

I remember seeing Spedding in 1981 at Bingeman Park in Kitchener. I can't remember who the rest of his band was but do recall them all looking like a pretty tough bunch. Kind of funny to see Spedding now at 75.

I'd also like to take this opportunity to diss the RRHOF for taking far too long to induct the great Roxy Music. Two years after effing ELO.

steve8 posted:

I'd also like to take this opportunity to diss the RRHOF for taking far too long to induct the great Roxy Music. Two years after effing ELO.

While The Guess Who continues to wait to even be nominated, despite oodles of hits, millions in sales, and the love of fans of all ages.  Should be called the British/American RRHOF....

I was completely blown away by Queen and Adam Lambert last night. 9 rows from the ceiling in a huge arena, and we may as well have been on the floor 20 rows from the stage. At 72, Brian May is an incredibly energetic and obviously talented performer. Roger Taylor’s drumming and backing vocals were great - I mean, he is only 70! While they had a backing percussionist RT was really playing the meat of the parts, and quite well. All of the additional musicians are really, really good. 

I have to give special props to Adam Lambert. When these guys first teamed up, I was skeptical for several reasons. Filling in for Freddie Mercury is simply not possible, as AL has said many times. Also, I had some silly reservations about a “reality show kid” doing this music justice, both in vocal performance and onstage presence. My wife went a year or two ago and raved about the show for days. The opportunity of an extra ticket with some in-laws came up, so I jumped on it. 

Lambert is an incredibly gifted and powerful singer with crazy range. In my opinion, he had just the right amount of flamboyance for the music to go along with great chemistry with the band. He is also obviously appreciative of the opportunity and mindful of the band and Freddie’s place in rock history. To the point, he f***ing nailed it. Also, Queen’s catalog of music is very special. If you have any interest, do yourself a favor and see this show. It’s an arena rock spectacle that has grandeur to the eye, buy is driven by the fantastic music and how it was performed. Bravo. 

My post in the Top Concerts thread has been revised.

billhike posted:

I was completely blown away by Queen and Adam Lambert last night. 9 rows from the ceiling in a huge arena, and we may as well have been on the floor 20 rows from the stage. At 72, Brian May is an incredibly energetic and obviously talented performer. Roger Taylor’s drumming and backing vocals were great - I mean, he is only 70! While they had a backing percussionist RT was really playing the meat of the parts, and quite well. All of the additional musicians are really, really good. 

I have to give special props to Adam Lambert. When these guys first teamed up, I was skeptical for several reasons. Filling in for Freddie Mercury is simply not possible, as AL has said many times. Also, I had some silly reservations about a “reality show kid” doing this music justice, both in vocal performance and onstage presence. My wife went a year or two ago and raved about the show for days. The opportunity of an extra ticket with some in-laws came up, so I jumped on it. 

Lambert is an incredibly gifted and powerful singer with crazy range. In my opinion, he had just the right amount of flamboyance for the music to go along with great chemistry with the band. He is also obviously appreciative of the opportunity and mindful of the band and Freddie’s place in rock history. To the point, he f***ing nailed it. Also, Queen’s catalog of music is very special. If you have any interest, do yourself a favor and see this show. It’s an arena rock spectacle that has grandeur to the eye, buy is driven by the fantastic music and how it was performed. Bravo. 

My post in the Top Concerts thread has been revised.

I'd pay just to see Brian May play guitar.

bman posted:
steve8 posted:

While The Guess Who continues to wait to even be nominated, despite oodles of hits, millions in sales, and the love of fans of all ages.  Should be called the British/American RRHOF....

Agreed, much overlooked.  

Mumford & Sons - Tremendous energy, enthusiasm, and humor.  The four band members were backed by five musicians that played drums, keyboards, violin, trumpet, trombone, accordion, and mandolin.  The combined instrumentals, along with strong vocals, produced a very powerful sound.

The sold-out crowd was fully engaged.  I didn't see many people sitting throughout the show.

Marcus Mumford's vocals remind me of Bruce Springsteen.

It was a very fun outdoor concert on a beautiful night in Salt Lake City.

steve8 posted:

I remember seeing Spedding in 1981 at Bingeman Park in Kitchener. I can't remember who the rest of his band was but do recall them all looking like a pretty tough bunch. Kind of funny to see Spedding now at 75.

I'd like to take this opportunity to diss the RRHOF for being the RRHOF. Since its founding I've never found it to have a real reason for existing and have always thought of it as a joke.

gigabit posted:

Mumford & Sons - Tremendous energy, enthusiasm, and humor.  The four band members were backed by five musicians that played drums, keyboards, violin, trumpet, trombone, accordion, and mandolin.  The combined instrumentals, along with strong vocals, produced a very powerful sound.

The sold-out crowd was fully engaged.  I didn't see many people sitting throughout the show.

Marcus Mumford's vocals remind me of Bruce Springsteen.

It was a very fun outdoor concert on a beautiful night in Salt Lake City.

I love these guys. Saw them in May. Didn’t love their newest album but it played better live than I thought it would. Seeing them again in September, down here in SD. They are doing a concert weekend in Cancun in February with Nathaniel Rateliff that we are strongly considering.  

bman posted:
steve8 posted:

The British pretty much get dissed as well.  Yea, the British no brainers are in - Beatles, The Who, Stones, Pink Floyd, etc but while they put in the 4th/5th tier American acts and even non rock acts, the 2nd/3rd tier British acts either aren't even considered or wait for years after eligibility dates.  

A couple of "40th Anniversary" shows:

The B-52s, OMD, and Berlin

The B-52s seemed tired; OMD played with tremendous energy and really fed off an enthusiastic crowd; and Terri Nunn's voice might be better than ever.  Berlin closed their set with a cover of 'Highway to Hell' that had the crowd frenzied.

The Stray Cats

I had never seen them live.  Damn, they are talented musicians!  Brian Setzer, Lee Rocker, and Slim Jim Phantom were in complete command and maintained a very high energy level throughout the night.  They did an excellent cover of Dick Dale's Miserlou that might have been the highlight of the show.

Last Night: Phil Collins - primarily for my wife but at same time, nice to see him once in my lifetime.  Back issues keeps him sitting nearly the entire time, but voice held up well and of course know most of the songs.  Kept mostly to solo stuff with a few Genesis songs mixed in.

Last Sat Night - Disturbed - great show and what I really loved is they play a good dose of their most recent album which IMO expanded their catalog and truly highlights how great a voice David Draiman has...was awesome to see them again (my 3rd time)

Went to the local festival and saw a good amount of music. Headliners were Kings of Leon (meh), Dave Matthews Band (great), and Mumford (awesome). It’d been about 15 years since I’d seen DMB, and they still rock. Second time seeing Mumford this year, and they are amazing live. They covered NIN’s “Hurt” which was really cool to hear. Also really enjoyed seeing Bryan Adams, Duran Duran, and the Cult for the first time. Wu Tang was good, Snoop was fun, and Maren Morris is going to be huge. Decent lineup this year, but easily the weakest of the 5 versions that have taken place so far. They are moving the festival to the Padres stadium next year...not sure how it’ll work out.

Also saw Zac Brown a couple of weeks ago. They were great. Awesome musicians and great songwriters, especially compared to the more popular country acts right now.

I’m going to see St Paul and the Broken Bones on Thursday, and then getting back to my punk roots and seeing Bad Religion on Sunday. 

AZ

I went Saturday as well. Highlights for me were Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes who I enjoyed at local jersey shore bars growing up and the source of my lifelong nickname, Squeeze, Black Eyed Peas, Michael Mina cooking demonstration (he fed us dinner) and One Republic. Saw DMB and I just don't get him. Any way, venue was hot and they did a poor job with places to sit and chill as compared to prior years. Hopefully better at petco though I'll miss the convenience.

bates40 posted:

Ohana Festival in Dana Point, California

Satirday night: Eddie Vedder - awesome, playing with a four string quartet - highlight was "Black" with Glen Hansard.

Sunday Night: Red Hot Chili Peppers- rough, drunk and high crowd..  Band looked tired.

Nice! Just 20 minutes up the road from me. Thought about going but had work to do.

Just picked up tix for March show of A Bowie Celebration. A group of alumni from his touring bands and some others. Playing my favorite local spot. Closest I'll get

Sat night at Jannus Live in St. Petersburg saw two Swedish metal bands - HammerFall and Sabaton.  Was an amazing show, made even better due to friends wanting to avoid the crowd and getting a Suite for the show.  Toward the end of the show, the HammerFall lead guitarist wandered into our suite..then the lead singer and bassist.  Great guys.  After not hearing of either band until a few months ago, I've been hooked on the music

Dylan in Chicago a few days ago.  He was in excellent form.  One of the best Dylan shows in at least a decade.  I'm looking forward to his show here in Ithaca in a couple of weeks and (hoping against hope) to catch one or two of his dozen shows in Tokyo next spring.

The Old Man posted:
haggis posted:

Dylan in Chicago a few days ago.  He was in excellent form.  One of the best Dylan shows in at least a decade. 

I saw him in Chicago at the godawful International Amphitheater with--The Band.

That place was indeed a shithole. It made my he generic arena in Rosemont seem like a palace.

steve8 posted:

Went to see Jenny Lewis at L'Astral on the weekend. Really enjoyed it although a few more older songs would have been nice.

Saw her earlier this year.  I think she's great.  I don't know her back catalog that well, but I first heard her when she was in Rilo Kiley.  I would've loved to hear Portion for Foxes.  Great song.

I've got a busy few weeks, starting with Edwin McCain tonight at City Winery, Jimmy Webb on the 17th, and my Wife's favorite -  Jason Mraz on the 24th.  I'm really looking forward to Jimmy Webb as he is an incredible songwriter and his stories on stage alone are worth the price of admission.

Saw Patty Griffin on Sunday night at Cafe Campus. One of the mellower shows I've seen in some time, but she was very good. I didn't/don't really know her music that well. The two guys she had playing guitar and bass/percussion were very solid.

steve8 posted:

Saw Patty Griffin on Sunday night at Cafe Campus. One of the mellower shows I've seen in some time, but she was very good. I didn't/don't really know her music that well. The two guys she had playing guitar and bass/percussion were very solid.

Yes, especially the guitar player. We've seen her solo, with a full band, with just the guitarist and bassist, and also in a foursome with Shawn Colvin, Emmylou Harris and Buddy Miller. Always entertaining.

If you can find the PBS Soundstage "Three Girls & Their Buddy" episode from 9 or 10 years ago, it's worth watching. Here's an 18 minute segment from it. Crappy video quality, but the sound is decent:

https://youtu.be/AUMMuQbuC8w

steve8 posted:

She's a tremendous performer.  I missed it, but a friend caught her at the Continental Club for a show billed as "Patty Griffin & Her Driver", which turned out to be Robert Plant when they were still dating and living together here in Austin.  Said it was one of the best live shows he's ever seen, which for him is quite something.

sunnylea57 posted:

Yes, especially the guitar player. We've seen her solo, with a full band, with just the guitarist and bassist, and also in a foursome with Shawn Colvin, Emmylou Harris and Buddy Miller. Always entertaining.

If you can find the PBS Soundstage "Three Girls & Their Buddy" episode from 9 or 10 years ago, it's worth watching. Here's an 18 minute segment from it. Crappy video quality, but the sound is decent:

Buddy was a lucky guy.

WRT Robert Plant, in any photo or video I had seen of Patty Griffin she had dark straight hair. Last Sunday she had long, curly blonde hair so I figured she must have kept Plant's hair stylist.

Went to a new festival in San Diego, which included having water taxis taking you between the stages.  Very diverse lineup, and I saw a little bit of Migos, Phantogram, and Thievery Corp.  Not my style of music, but wasn't bad.  MGMT was good, but I was really there for Slightly Stoopid and Pennywise, who put on great shows.  Although waking up the next day bruised and with sore arms reminded me that maybe I don't need to be in the pit anymore.  

A belated post, but Mrs H and I went to the Dylan show at Ithaca College a couple of weeks ago.  Same set list as he has been doing all tour, but still outrageously good.  So good, in fact, that we are planning to go to Tokyo to take in a few of his shows in April 2020 during his extended residency.

haggis posted:

A belated post, but Mrs H and I went to the Dylan show at Ithaca College a couple of weeks ago.  Same set list as he has been doing all tour, but still outrageously good.  So good, in fact, that we are planning to go to Tokyo to take in a few of his shows in April 2020 during his extended residency.

Wow. I heard he has been particularly good this tour. Good for you!

Also: I’m curious what the age breakdown was. Was it mostly Boomer (and Silent Generation) professors?  Professors and lecturers of various generations?  Grad students?  Was it 90% undergrads?  20 years ago you were far more likely to hear someone playing “Percy’s Song” on the Arts Quad than anything by Britney Spears, but we all grew up on him via our parents. I imagine it is different for the kids today, but I don’t know. 

winetarelli posted:
haggis posted:

Also: I’m curious what the age breakdown was. Was it mostly Boomer (and Silent Generation) professors?  Professors and lecturers of various generations?  Grad students?  Was it 90% undergrads?  20 years ago you were far more likely to hear someone playing “Percy’s Song” on the Arts Quad than anything by Britney Spears, but we all grew up on him via our parents. I imagine it is different for the kids today, but I don’t know. 

Good question and one that I was thinking about yesterday as I was posting my comments.  I would say 75% boomers/profs/admin types.  The rest was largely college-age kids (or so they seem to me!).  There seemed to be a dearth of people 30'ish - 50'ish. 

You went to Cornell??

haggis posted:
winetarelli posted:
haggis posted:

Good question and one that I was thinking about yesterday as I was posting my comments.  I would say 75% boomers/profs/admin types.  The rest was largely college-age kids (or so they seem to me!).  There seemed to be a dearth of people 30'ish - 50'ish. 

You went to Cornell??

Yep.

In fact I stayed in touch with the managers of Northside for years afterwards. If you’ve ever met Dave Pohl there, he’s the one who really taught me my foundation of wine. But my favorite professors are no longer teaching at Cornell. My favorite to learn from, Ted Lowi, unfortunately passed away a couple of years ago. I’m not certain if he was still teaching near the end. My favorite to argue with, Jeremy Rabkin, the last I heard now teaches at George Mason.  

winetarelli posted:
haggis posted:
winetarelli posted:
haggis posted:

You went to Cornell??

Yep.

In fact I stayed in touch with the managers of Northside for years afterwards. If you’ve ever met Dave Pohl there, he’s the one who really taught me my foundation of wine. But my favorite professors are no longer teaching at Cornell. My favorite to learn from, Ted Lowi, unfortunately passed away a couple of years ago. I’m not certain if he was still teaching near the end. My favorite to argue with, Jeremy Rabkin, the last I heard now teaches at George Mason.  

If you ever get back up this way, let me know!

Add Reply

Likes (0)