Or live shows, performances, etc...?

My wife and I saw Sting last weekend in one of his few North American performances this year. A good show but not great. His voice was weak at times (overpowered by guitar), and his base wasn't cranked up enough for many songs. Good to hear some all time great music though.
Original Post
quote:
Originally posted by Primordealsoup:
Or live shows, performances, etc...?

My wife and I saw Sting last weekend in one of his few North American performances this year. A good show but not great. His voice was weak at times (overpowered by guitar), and his base wasn't cranked up enough for many songs. Good to hear some all time great music though.
Love Sting!
quote:
Originally posted by indybob:
Haven't paid for a show in a while, but for work, saw PJ Harvey/John Parish, The Killers, and The Sugarhill Gang in the past few weeks. All good gigs.

The Sugarhill Gang? Now that's a name I haven't heard in a long, long time. Can't believe they're still together!
quote:
Originally posted by AZCat:
Dave Matthews in May...great show. U2 in October. That probably rounds out the year for me...don't go to that many anymore.

Dave Matthews has always been one of my favourite live bands. I just wish they made it over to Europe every now and then...
quote:
Originally posted by shavez:
quote:
Dave Matthews in May...great show. U2 in October. That probably rounds out the year for me...don't go to that many anymore.

Dave Matthews has always been one of my favourite live bands. I just wish they made it over to Europe every now and then...

With the exception of a Sting dress rehersal I went to with only 100 other people, DMB is the best live concert I have seen. I normally get to 2 or 3 a year. I am going to both shows in West Palm in Aug.
quote:
Originally posted by jburman82:
quote:
quote:

With the exception of a Sting dress rehersal I went to with only 100 other people, DMB is the best live concert I have seen. I normally get to 2 or 3 a year. I am going to both shows in West Palm in Aug.

I've seen him twice now. The first one was frankly a little uninspiring. The more recent show was one of the top 5 concerts I've ever been to - they were really on that night and were really connecting with the crowd. Throw in a great set list and it was just about the perfect concert.

Shavez...it's probably tough for them to get overseas when they are seemingly playing 365 shows a year in the US! Seems like they are ALWAYS on tour...
quote:
quote:
quote:

That's funny, I would say the same thing about a Peter Gabriel dress rehearsal w/ about 100 people and DMB as well. I think DMB is, right now, the best rock&roll band to see live on the planet. I will be seeing them in 2 weeks myself.
Over the last year I've seen My Morning Jacket twice, The Black Keys twice, Santana, Alice in Chains and a Django Reinhardt tribute featuring Dorado Schmitt. Oh, and a ton of local blues bands, but nothing too spectacular.

All were excellent except Santana, unfortunately.
I just saw the Clapton/Winwood show when it came through. I've been an avid Clapton fan for nearly 20 years, and usually catch multiple shows on each tour. This years show was one of the best I have ever seen Eric play. Simply jaw dropping solos.

Best live act out there, however, is still Los Lobos. If you haven't ever seen them, do. Soon.

keytohwy
quote:
Originally posted by dannyk8232:
I just found out Bone Thugs n Harmony are playing here on Saturday night...I may have to check that out just because of how awesome that is
Nice! “First of the Month” has to be the Ghetto song ever made but I still bumped it back in the day.
quote:
Originally posted by keytohwy:
Best live act out there, however, is still Los Lobos. If you haven't ever seen them, do. Soon.

keytohwy

The only time I saw them is when they opened for U2 on the Joshua Tree Tour in 1987. They are coming to Red Butte Gardens (here) in about three weeks.
Went to the Mayhem tour at Sandstone in KC on Tuesday. This years line up: Cannibal Corpse, Job for a Cowboy, Killswitch, Slayer, and Maryln Manson. There was a bunch of other bands, too, but no one worth recalling. A good show if you like easy listening Wink
quote:
Originally posted by keytohwy:
I just saw the Clapton/Winwood show when it came through. I've been an avid Clapton fan for nearly 20 years, and usually catch multiple shows on each tour. This years show was one of the best I have ever seen Eric play. Simply jaw dropping solos.

keytohwy

I had some good seats for this one in Omaha, but I forgot that we would be gone for the honeymoon (Napa, San Fran, Sonoma, Mendocino). I gave the tickets to my folks, and they had a blast! Still have yet to see Clapton, despite having shelled out $250 for tix Mad
in the last couple of weeks:

Kid Rock in his hometown of Detroit at Comerica Park

Dave Mathews outdoors at an ampitheatre.

I still remember when Dave Mathews was the co-act with Big Head Todd and the Monsters back in 94 or 95 and noone knew who he was. We were there to see Big Head Todd and left before Dave Mathews went on as there were girls back at the bar waiting for us.
Alan Parsons Project in LA. Opening act was a band that did the entire Pink Floyd , Dark side of the Moon album to a laser light show. Alan Parson him self was in the sound booth controlling the sound. It was awesome. Then APP played the second set. Really good! I've always loved this music.
quote:
Originally posted by mneeley490:
quote:
Originally posted by justme:
Melissa Etheridge was amazing. Just her, a guitar and a piano.
However, I've never seen so many mullets in my life.

Attend an LPGA tournament sometime. Wink

Is this Golf's dirty little secret? Funny, I never see those guys on camera. Razz
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by justme:
Melissa Etheridge was amazing. Just her, a guitar and a piano.
However, I've never seen so many mullets in my life.

Attend an LPGA tournament sometime. Wink

Is this Golf's dirty little secret? Funny, I never see those guys on camera. Razz

Yea, and like a Melissa Etheridge concert...it ain't the guys with the mullets Popcorn
[QUOTE]

Dave Mathews outdoors at an ampitheatre.

I still remember when Dave Mathews was the co-act with Big Head Todd and the Monsters back in 94 or 95 and noone knew who he was. We were there to see Big Head Todd and left before Dave Mathews went on as there were girls back at the bar waiting for us.[/QUOTE

I went to a concert in that some tour. That was my first Dave concert. Loved it!

I am going to see him again this Fri & Sat. Tim Reynolds is playing here Thurs & Fri. We are going to see him both nights in hopes that Dave shows up one night.
quote:
Although not actually there, just watched Pink Floyd's Pulse (again). What an amazing concert on DVD. Technically, the lighting and sound are, well, brilliant. Really an extraordinary performance.

A GREAT DVD! Is this out in Blu-ray?
quote:
Originally posted by Lakersguy:
quote:
Although not actually there, just watched Pink Floyd's Pulse (again). What an amazing concert on DVD. Technically, the lighting and sound are, well, brilliant. Really an extraordinary performance.

A GREAT DVD! Is this out in Blu-ray?

I keep hoping it will be released in Blu-Ray but so far I haven't seen it anywhere.
Jay-Z / Coldplay last night at Wembley. Jay-Z was great, just a professional entertainer at the top of his game. Love the mix between the DJ and a full band. I can’t believe it’s taken me this long to see him live. A little taste of his opening here.

We are not big Coldplay fans (we actually left about half way through their set) but it was cool to see them in front of their home town fans.
My wife is a big Diana Krall fan and we have wanted to see a show at the Royal Albert Hall for a while, so it was a perfect match last night. She sounded great and I really enjoyed the show. If her albums sounded as jazzy as her live performance I would listen to her stuff a lot more.
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
My wife is a big Diana Krall fan and we have wanted to see a show at the Royal Albert Hall for a while, so it was a perfect match last night. She sounded great and I really enjoyed the show. If her albums sounded as jazzy as her live performance I would listen to her stuff a lot more.

GlennK, out of curiosity, how long did her concert last?
quote:
quote:

About an hour and half I think.
I saw David Gray last night at the Auditorium Theater in Chicago. I'm not a huge fan, but I thought he was very good. My big problem was that the crowd was way too mellow. I realize his music can be on the quieter side, but the crowd just sat in their seats the whole time - not my style.
quote:
quote:
quote:

About an hour and half I think.

That's good.
I'm not a musician, and I don't know how physically taxing a live concert is, but for the price of concerts these days, I'd like for it last longer than an average CD.
I love her to death & own all her albums, but I think the two I attended at Ch. Ste. Michelle lasted barely an hour before they left the stage. No encore, despite thunderous applause...
quote:
Originally posted by Pinotlvr:
quote:
Originally posted by indybob:
Method Man and Redman, with Snoop. Tonight in a medium sized local club.

Snoop? did you snizzle his nizzle? or what ever lame saying he has Big Grin

I most certainly did not. There were plenty of hot 20 somethings in attendance who undoubtedly would have helped him with that "snizzling his nizzle" you speak of. Wink
quote:
Originally posted by thirsty man:
Nope - we got a "good evening Nashville" a little over an hour after he was supposed to go on... But he did play until midnight.

Did you enjoy the concert? I'm a huge fan, my wife is getting crazy because of the hundreds of bootlegs we have at home... When we were still in Europe in 2005, we went all over to see him. Awesome experience !
it was a great show that was only marred by our babysitters curfew... Born to Run is one of my favorite springsteen albums and he played the whole thing- start to finish, plus some new stuff and a few covers (ring of fire, etc.). He never stopped playing or singing for more than a minute or two once he started. It was a great show - I'll see him again if he comes to town.

G
quote:
it was a great show that was only marred by our babysitters curfew... Born to Run is one of my favorite springsteen albums and he played the whole thing- start to finish, plus some new stuff and a few covers (ring of fire, etc.). He never stopped playing or singing for more than a minute or two once he started. It was a great show - I'll see him again if he comes to town.

G

BTR is also one of my fave. Glad you had a blast !
quote:
Nope - we got a "good evening Nashville" a little over an hour after he was supposed to go on... But he did play until midnight.

That's standard. He always starts late. I saw him hear in St. Louis 4 weeks ago. He started 45 minutes late. Once he starts, though . . . it's full speed ahead, non stop. Pretty darn impressive. Great show, Great songs, mediocre sound quality.
Last night: Bruce Hornsby and The Noise Makers

What an absolutely enjoyable show. Just plain fun. Entertaining show, fantastic songs, phenomenal music quality at the Pagent. Besides Steely Dan, Bruce Hornsby's bands are the tightest that I have every seen/heard in concert.
quote:
Originally posted by valleyofthemoon:
quote:

Good News!!

The Dave Matthews Band is playing In Europe this spring, including two shows in Munich!

http://www.davematthewsband.com/#/tour

....and for what its worth, they did 12 nights in europe last june-july.

Thanks for the tip! Just bought 2 tix. They're playing in a small venue, which will be awesome. I just saw the Tragically Hip in Amsterdam on Friday, also in a small venue (Paradiso). It was probably the best concert I've ever been too - so much better than the large stadium shows.
Had an opportunity to hear Lang Lang play a private concert for about 60 people at the Grammy Museum in Los Angeles a couple weeks ago. That was mind-bogglingly good. A few days later saw Huey Lewis & the News at Staples Center...meh. Next weekend going to The Brian Setzer Orchestra's Christmas Extravaganza at Universal City. Really looking forward to that one!
Saturday - we went to the Habitat for Humanity Concert at Lazy Lakes on Sugarloaf Key - Very cold for us wussies - but good time.

Chris Cook
Cowboy Troy (yuck)
Howard Livingston
Mac McAnally
Jerry Jelf Walker -

We met all of the acts - when MLV was working her magic (and I just wanted to spend a couple minutes indoors).

$30 - a ticket - and included all the beer you could drink. Not bad.
Jersey Boys, at the Memphis Orpheum.

The traveling company for "Jersey Boys" (the story of the Four Seasons singing group from the 1960s & 70s) was in Memphis for about three weeks and had their final show last night. I saw the production twice during their stay, and I think the show was outstanding. The music was excellent, and especially if you're into the "oldies" music, but the pace of this show, together with the story-line, makes this show a "must-see" for people of all ages.

I would highly recommend "Jersey Boys"!

http://www.jerseyboysinfo.com/broadway/
Went to see Peter Gabriel at Radio City last weekend. Was very much looking forward to this concert as he was playing with a forty plus piece orchestra. Unfortunately, I was disappointed. The orchestra was excellent, his voice was in good form, but he just didn't play enough of his best songs for my taste (wasn't looking for the 'hits' either) and I felt many of the song arrangements were lacking. Overall, I'd give the show an 85 on the 100 point concert scale.
Saw Michael Buble April 3rd in Seattle, with my wife and daughter. I had purchased seats on the floor, very near the stage. Buble and his band were fantastic, as usual, but I doubt I'll ever see another concert in Key Arena no matter who's playing. The place just wasn't made for acoustics. I think the last concert I saw there was Elton John, around 1980.

High point: Michael's stories about his hometown Burnaby, B.C./Seattle connections, and introducing several of his family members in the audience who came down for the show. Also having him stroll within arms length of me midway through the show. The guy has guts; there are a lot of CRAZY women in that audience.

Low Point: The group of extremely drunken and belligerent Canadian women seated directly behind us, who purposefully screamed and wailed in our ears for half of the concert. My daughter, who has a slight hearing problem, asked them politely to stop. That only encouraged one to lean right into her good ear and scream louder. They finally cooled down a bit after security talked with them. Had it gone on any longer, I'm sure we would have all been kicked out, or worse. I counted my blessings that at least they did not spill their drinks or puke on us. I mean, come on; this isn't Metallica or AC/DC we're banging to.

Other than that, it was a great concert.
Seeing my old employer (indirectly Wink) George Thorogood this Saturday, in the National Arts Centre, which is a concert hall, which seems wrong somehow. Should be in a small seedy bar, no? Confused

Then in July, Simon and Garfunkel.

Missed Taylor Swift last week..... Roll Eyes
May 10, The Eagles.

Not a lot of bands can do 3+ hours of greatest hits (except for 3-4 new songs), but these guys had everyone up and singing along to almost every number. And while their harmony is still great, maybe they don't hit some of the notes that they used to. On the other hand, Joe Walsh still plays his guitar as well as he ever has, and produces some great riffs. Totally outstanding sound system as well (in fact, probably the best I've ever heard, no distortion at all).
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:

an Argentine actress may have had something to do with that.)

Need a photo please! Wink

Here you go.

First it will never last, but more importantly, you are from Argentina for goodness sakes, get ride of that blond hair! Mad

Oh, thanks for the photo. Smile
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

an Argentine actress may have had something to do with that.)

Need a photo please! Wink

Here you go.

First it will never last, but more importantly, you are from Argentina for goodness sakes, get ride of that blond hair! Mad

Oh, thanks for the photo. Smile

Yeah, my daughter is probably sticking pins in a little blond voodoo doll...
BTW, George was great. At least a step slower than before and he's added a young guitarist, perhaps to pick up his slack, though he still had the moves and could still hammer out a mean solo. A really tight band, not surprising after 30+ years together (the original three at least). Billy looked like he hadn't aged a day or gained a pound, ditto Jeff, but our seats were in a side box some distance from the stage, so perhaps I'm being generous.
quote:
Originally posted by Arsenal4ever:
Hopefully going to get tickets for Neil Young in Oakland July 11. Anybody seen his Twisted Road tour yet?

Saw him last month- a great show. Some new stuff and some classics. Great sound from those guitars and surreal moments like when he played "After the Goldrush" on the organ. Just him and the instruments- pretty sweet.
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
BTW, George was great. At least a step slower than before and he's added a young guitarist, perhaps to pick up his slack, though he still had the moves and could still hammer out a mean solo. A really tight band, not surprising after 30+ years together (the original three at least). Billy looked like he hadn't aged a day or gained a pound, ditto Jeff, but our seats were in a side box some distance from the stage, so perhaps I'm being generous.

So he's still Ba-ba-ba-ba-bad? Wink
Heading out to CA. in the morning to go to the High Sierra Music Fest! Big Grin We have VIP tickets and a RV waiting for us out there, plus I just found out we will be pouring wine for Widespread Panic on Friday! Big Grin Time to see the Black Crowes, Avett Bros and The Motherhips!
quote:
quote:
Sting and the London Philharmonic Orchestra.

How was it?

Very good. Nice mix of old and new songs. I was particularly impressed with his ability to not be overshadowed or drowned out by an 80 peice orchestra. Not many artists could pull that off. The orchestra was great too. He gave a few of the first chairs some solos during his songs. Between this show and my love of Dave Matthews I am becoming a big fan of the violin. I have been thinking of trying to take some lessons.
quote:
I had bought tickets for his show in Connecticut for tomorrow night, but as I am currently in upstate NY, I will not be attending. Instead I will enjoy a rare Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds concert in Canandaigua. I think a bottle of Riesling will be uncorked tomorrow.

I went to all three of the Dave/Tim shows in Vegas last December. Absolutely fantastic!!!!!!!
Goldfrapp in Leamington. Alison was having a bit of a strop;

Godiva Festival at the weekend:

The Christians were as I remember them - forgettable;
Detroit Social Club were pretty good and kept the late-afternoon going well;
Badly Drawn Boy was on the rock stage instead of stuck in a tent and was dull;
Ash were excellent, rocking the end of Saturday with pop-punk ditties.
Sun was out, the beer was good and the company was excellent.
quote:
Originally posted by thelostverse:
Last night at Ravinia we saw the Chicago Symphony Orchestra in a celebration of Chopin featuring Garrick Ohlsson on piano, the first American ever to win the Chopin Prize. A beautiful night.

I use to love Ravinia, other than the parking. This sounds like a great concert. Ohlsson is wonderful, esp with Chopin, Schubert, etc. Happy for you!
Hadn't been to a concert in 15+ years before this past Friday night. Took Mrs. K to see the Average White Band (can I say that in this PC-charged day and age?!? Big Grin) and Earth, Wind, and Fire. Too bad EWF is down to three remaining members, they missed more than a few notes but overall the music brought back a lot of good memories. AWB was very good - actually liked them better w/respect to the music-playing.
Saw O.A.R. on Friday night at Charter One Pavilion. It was OK - they played a good seleciton of songs, but I found that they 'messed' with some of them a bit too much.

Hoping to go see Dave Matthews Band at Wrigley Field in September. Tickets go on sale Saturday morning to the public, but a buddy of mine who has some high priority in the DMB fan club finds out his ticket requests on Friday and I'm hoping to score one of those.
quote:
Good luck Wine Sparty.
Saw Dave Matthews Band last night in Scranton, PA and the night before in Bethel Woods (near Woodstock grounds). They were on fire last night! Enjoyed a cool crisp bottle 2006 Monchoff Riesling to start the night right.

I managed to snag some good seats for the 9/17 show. Couldn't do the general admission tickets, since my wife will be almost 8 months pregnant at the time and will need to sit down. 8th row in a section past third base.
Saw Dave Mathews last night. Tim Reynolds played with the band the entire show. Warren Hayes came out and played #41 with them. I was really hoping for Cortez The Killer in the encore but it didnt happen. Had 5th row seats which was nice. All in all a good but not great show.
Over the weekend, at Lollapalooza:

Arcade Fire
The National
MGMT
Frightened Rabbit
Hockey
Yeasayer
Mumford & Sons
The Cribs
Green Day
Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros
JP, Chrissie, & the Fairground Boys
The XX
Stars
Wild Beasts
The Soft Pack
The Morning Benders
Foxy Shazam
Wavves
Los Amgos Invisibles
Mavis Staples
Drive-By Truckers
The New Pornographers
Dirty Projectors
The Black Keys
Jimmy Cliff
Lady Gaga
The Strokes

I need a nap.
Caught the new Rush tour in Toronto and was quite happy with the setlist and light show. For three guys in their mid to late 50's to play for three hours with no opening act is quite a feat.

On the other end of the spectrum I attended a Queensryche show titled "Queensryche Caberet" last week. It was awful. From my perspective it looked like they were trying to come up with something that would play in a Vegas casino. Yuck.
quote:
Originally posted by Dick Tree:
Caught the new Rush tour in Toronto and was quite happy with the setlist and light show. For three guys in their mid to late 50's to play for three hours with no opening act is quite a feat.

On the other end of the spectrum I attended a Queensryche show titled "Queensryche Caberet" last week. It was awful. From my perspective it looked like they were trying to come up with something that would play in a Vegas casino. Yuck.

Dick Tree - this is hilarious. You and I saw EXACTLY the same two concerts except I saw both in LA.

Saw Rush last night - AMAZING. Going tomorrow to see them in Irvine. I think this was their best show I've seen them play. Loved hearing The Camera Eye live. I'm trying to find ways to get to them to try to convince them they need to play Hemispheres. Doubt that will ever happen.

Queensryche was a disaster. First, I didn't realize they had 7 albums come out since Empire so I knew two of the songs. Two, the people in attendance were kind of disgusting. Lots of ladies vomiting in the bathroom. I did feel bad for them, though. They went from a "Standing Room Only" show to suddenly putting seats in to fill up more of the space. After about 5 songs in, Geoff had to ask the audience to stand up because people were sitting in their seats like they were watching a play. That whole thing was a bloody mess.
Saw Sting the end of June with the Orchestra. Was one of the most enjoyable concerts I've attended. It really was a feature of the artist and actually hearing them sing instead of just belting out tunes in front of a wall of sound.

Was concerned that without people filling the upper bowl the acoustics would be bad (like they were for the Springstein folk band concert a couple years ago that we had to walk out on), but it was phenomenal. The clarity of his voice allowed hearing those neuances you pick up when listening to the albums in the pristine recording studio. If you're a fan of his, I couldn't recommend it enough.
quote:
Originally posted by Zinerator:
quote:
Originally posted by Dick Tree:

Dick Tree - this is hilarious. You and I saw EXACTLY the same two concerts except I saw both in LA.

Saw Rush last night - AMAZING. Going tomorrow to see them in Irvine. I think this was their best show I've seen them play. Loved hearing The Camera Eye live. I'm trying to find ways to get to them to try to convince them they need to play Hemispheres. Doubt that will ever happen.

Queensryche was a disaster. First, I didn't realize they had 7 albums come out since Empire so I knew two of the songs. Two, the people in attendance were kind of disgusting. Lots of ladies vomiting in the bathroom. I did feel bad for them, though. They went from a "Standing Room Only" show to suddenly putting seats in to fill up more of the space. After about 5 songs in, Geoff had to ask the audience to stand up because people were sitting in their seats like they were watching a play. That whole thing was a bloody mess.

Nice to find another Rush fan hereabouts. I have seen three shows so far on the Time Machine Tour (Albuquerque, Toronto - twice) and have plans for seven more. My next show is next Wednesday at Red Rocks which is a great place to see a concert.

As for Queensryche...the more I think about that show the more I am disillusioned by the direction they took. From the pinnacle that was the Empire/Mindcrime era to these depths is such a shame.

On the plus side though, Geoff Tate is out promoting is Washington blend. I bought a bottle when he was doing a meet & greet at Spec's in Houston.
quote:
Originally posted by finz:
Saw Sting the end of June with the Orchestra. Was one of the most enjoyable concerts I've attended. It really was a feature of the artist and actually hearing them sing instead of just belting out tunes in front of a wall of sound.

Was concerned that without people filling the upper bowl the acoustics would be bad (like they were for the Springstein folk band concert a couple years ago that we had to walk out on), but it was phenomenal. The clarity of his voice allowed hearing those neuances you pick up when listening to the albums in the pristine recording studio. If you're a fan of his, I couldn't recommend it enough.

I bought tickets for 2 of his shows but was unable to attend either: big Frown. Sold them at a loss and missed having the experience. I like the album though. Still wishing he would get back to his Nothing Like the Sun Days. Maybe he needs to read more Carl Jung again.
quote:
Saw Dave Mathews last night. Tim Reynolds played with the band the entire show. Warren Hayes came out and played #41 with them. I was really hoping for Cortez The Killer in the encore but it didnt happen. Had 5th row seats which was nice. All in all a good but not great show.

Cool
Michael Buble' iin Vancouver the other week. He was very good but I enjoyed him in Kelowna two years ago much better as the Prospera arena is very small and he looked like you could reach out and touch him compared to having to use binoculars at GM place. Oh, ... Naturally Seven opened for him as they always do and they are a band of seven black dudes that sing and sound like instruments (saxophone, drums, trumpets and so on) without the actual use of any instruments other than a microphones.
quote:
Originally posted by Ogopogo DUDE:
Michael Buble' iin Vancouver the other week. He was very good but I enjoyed him in Kelowna two years ago much better as the Prospera arena is very small and he looked like you could reach out and touch him compared to having to use binoculars at GM place. Oh, ... Naturally Seven opened for him as they always do and they are a band of seven black dudes that sing and sound like instruments (saxophone, drums, trumpets and so on) without the actual use of any instruments other than a microphones.

Buble was great here in April, unfortunately the venue less than desirable. I didn't care for Naturally Seven, not my taste. I much preferred when he had Jann Arden as his opener.
Saw Jack Johnson last Thursday and was a good show. Was disappointed that Jimmy Buffett didn't show for JJ's encore of A Pirate Looks at Forty like he did five years ago in Boca. This one was in West Palm Beach, like 12 miles from Jimmy's home on Palm Beach island, and I checked and he didn't have any of his own concerts that week. Jimmy now covers JJ's The Horizon has been Defeated on his shows.
quote:
Originally posted by vinole:
Saw Jack Johnson last Thursday and was a good show. Was disappointed that Jimmy Buffett didn't show for JJ's encore of A Pirate Looks at Forty like he did five years ago in Boca. This one was in West Palm Beach, like 12 miles from Jimmy's home on Palm Beach island, and I checked and he didn't have any of his own concerts that week. Jimmy now covers JJ's The Horizon has been Defeated on his shows.

Well - he is on tour and played shows on Long Island and lives more there than here anyway so probably was not too tempted to come down. Saw pretty good reviews for that show.
quote:
Originally posted by vinole:

CARGO SHORTS!
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Wine Sparty:
Dave Matthews Band at Wrigley Field last night. Good show with a quality mix of current songs and older 'classics'. The hangover today isn't that great, though.

You guys in Chicago (and vicinity) know how to do it right.

I did forget to mention, in case there are any other big DMB fans on the boards, they played a cover of Burning Down The House. I know they played part of it on the NFL Kickoff Night last week, but I don't think this is a song they have traditionally played. Pretty cool.
David Gilmour and Roger Waters buried the hatchet a few years ago which is why Pink Floyd performed at Live 8. Also on this tour Gilmour agreed to make at least one guest appearance and play guitar on Comfortably Numb. As for working closely together on a new project....well I wouldn't hold my breath. It's one thing to be cordial but another completely to create music together.
i'm ok keeping them apart. the "real" pink floyd will never exist again, and i get to enjoy both bands, both of which are excellent! of course, what page/plant did was extraordinary too, and i probably would not have wanted that reunion either, so i could be wrong. dead wrong. Eek
quote:
Originally posted by mountainman:
Courtesy of mrs. tbird, last night saw Alice Cooper for the first time since 1976.

How was that? This was the guy my folks warned me about listening to. Big Grin

He's got a syndicated radio show on the weekends that I really enjoy. He's very entertaining, but not in a flashy way. He spins classic rock, and tells stories of his career, friends, people he met and worked with, etc. He really sounds like a regular, down to earth guy, who just happened to have a very extraordinary job some years ago. Pretty cool! Cool
Big Grin Cool

quote:
He's got a syndicated radio show on the weekends that I really enjoy. He's very entertaining, but not in a flashy way. He spins classic rock, and tells stories of his career, friends, people he met and worked with, etc.
quote:
Originally posted by TBird:
Big Grin Cool

quote:
He's got a syndicated radio show on the weekends that I really enjoy. He's very entertaining, but not in a flashy way. He spins classic rock, and tells stories of his career, friends, people he met and worked with, etc.

Big Grin Big Grin
Concert was fun, tight band. Talked to him after show and he does seem really down to earth. Even mountainbiked with the drummer yesterday. I think he will recover.
quote:
Originally posted by TBird:
going to see roger waters recreate "the wall" at MSG on tuesday. if last years "dark side of the moon" is any indication, i'm a happy camper!

The Dark Side of the Moon concert at MSG was excellent. I have enjoyed Gilmour's latest album On an Island. When is Waters going to come out with something new? I like the last 2 tours, but would also like to see where he is creatively in the studio.

Add Reply

Likes (0)