Just got home after catching Chicago at the new ACL Live studio - great venue and the band is still TIGHT! Jimmy Pankow has always been my favorite and he's still got it. There are only three original members left, but the new guys do a great job and they still bring it just like back on the day. It was fantastic!
quote:
Originally posted by Vino Bevo:
Just got home after catching Chicago at the new ACL Live studio -

Hopefully, their sound quality was good. When I saw them last summer here in St. Louis, their sound man couldn't get the mix right and was clipping speakers. It was the worst I've ever experienced at a 'professional' concert.
We went to see Styx & Yes at Verizon Wireless on the 24th. It was a last minute decision. I've been a Yes fan for 30+ years and seen them many times, but wasn't sure I was up for it.

Partly, I'm not as into spending $100+ on tickets to aging rocker shows. I've enoyed seeing Bruce Hornsby and Elvis Costello, recently, both for less than $50 per ticket, at the Pageant, a more intimate venue.

But, in the end, scored some super cheap 4th row tics on StubHub, and went. I thought Yes was good, agree missing Jon Anderson. Glad Yes was the lead band, as Styx played with lots more energy. They would have been a hard act to follow.
quote:
Originally posted by JCT1000:
We went to see Styx & Yes at Verizon Wireless on the 24th. It was a last minute decision. I've been a Yes fan for 30+ years and seen them many times, but wasn't sure I was up for it.

Partly, I'm not as into spending $100+ on tickets to aging rocker shows. I've enoyed seeing Bruce Hornsby and Elvis Costello, recently, both for less than $50 per ticket, at the Pageant, a more intimate venue.

But, in the end, scored some super cheap 4th row tics on StubHub, and went. I thought Yes was good, agree missing Jon Anderson. Glad Yes was the lead band, as Styx played with lots more energy. They would have been a hard act to follow.

Styx played first at Maryhill. Thus, Yes' lack of energy was even more pronounced. Sadly, about 1/3 of the crowd had left before Yes even finished their set.

BTW -- I've seen Hornsby the last two times that he has been at the Pageant. What a great venue.
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
Going to see Rufus Wainright with the CSO this evening at Ravinia. I know nothing about him, but pulling corks outside in nice weather works for me.

He's well respected but I cannot stand his voice. So lispy, whiny, and annoying. How was it though?
Adam10, the highlights were the first part of the show with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra before he came out to sing/chant/groan over their playing. Half of our group hated his voice, a couple that were with us love him. He definitely has his fans, though. The highlight of Ravinia is that you can bring your own food and beverages to picnic on the lawn with live music in the background. We have a decent number of free passes and this show took place on an evening with perfect weather, so we went.
quote:
Lifehouse this past Saturday at Ravinia. Good performers/entertainers, but not my kind of music. The Champagne and two bottles of Gigondas were the highlights of the evening.

I actually have liked them for a while after hearing their first album. The original drummer's mom was the admin for a friend and he turned me on to them. Never seen them live - glad to hear they put on a good show.
quote:
Originally posted by flop:
Branford Marsalis Quartet last Saturday.

He's got a 19-year old drummer, Justin Faulkner, who is absolutely phenomenal.

Was that at the Jazz Alley? That's a fantastic venue.

For me Train on the beach at Mandalay Bay. Better than I was expecting and for you single guys out there Rock and Roll wine is a 'target rich environment'. Justy saying.
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleD:
Nope. Good looking chick will be attending as well.

Ah.... the things we do for beautiful women.

PH

I went front row to a Shakira gig for a girl...caught her checking me out at least...:P
He's much more refined now then he was back in his Matt Good Band days. I've seen him numerous times over the years, going back to when he used to play the side stage at Edgefest in Molson Park, and the best show was at the amphitheater at Jackson-Triggs winery in NOTL. I HIGHLY recommend seeing any show at that venue.
An unusual week with three concerts on tap.

Last night I caught a Genesis tribute band called The Musical Box, who played a note-perfect version of The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway. Visually not the same as seeing Peter Gabriel and crew but sound-wise they were really good.

Tonight a bit more prog-metal with Dream Theater on tap followed on Thursday by an up and coming heavy metal band called Mastodon. The last two Mastodon albums (Crack The Skye, The Hunter) have garnered quite a bit of critical acclaim.
quote:
Originally posted by Dick Tree:

Last night I caught a Genesis tribute band called The Musical Box, who played a note-perfect version of The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway. Visually not the same as seeing Peter Gabriel and crew but sound-wise they were really good.

Tonight a bit more prog-metal with Dream Theater on tap followed on Thursday by an up and coming heavy metal band called Mastodon. The last two Mastodon albums (Crack The Skye, The Hunter) have garnered quite a bit of critical acclaim.

Glad to see another forum member into the heavier stuff. We are few and far between!
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Dick Tree:

Glad to see another forum member into the heavier stuff. We are few and far between!

It's funny but as I get older I find I am more interested in some of the heavier music. Mastodon in particular I didn't even know of until about a year ago.

Last night's Dream Theater show was outstanding except for the "no cameras" policy, which was strictly enforced. Trivium were talented enough but had a terrible "mix" while DT were exceptional from beginning to end.
Well that certainly wasn't the best Matthew Good concert I have ever been to on Tuesday night at the Mississauga Living Arts Centre. He sounded great, as did the band, and set lights were amazing, but the place was half empty and the show was only about 75 minutes. I don't think I'll ever go back to that venue for a concert again!
I attended a true heavy metal concert last night featuring the bands Black Tusk, Venomous Maximus, and Mastodon at a small Houston club called Fitzgerald's. The club is best known for being the scene of some great Stevie Ray Vaughn gigs back in the day but tonight it was all about cookie-monster vocals and aggressive music.

To be completely honest I had no idea there were three bands on the bill, as I really only wanted to see Mastodon (who are getting a lot of critical acclaim lately from Classic Rock and Classic Rock Presents Prog magazines).

In the end I never did get to see Mastodon as the second act (Venomous Maximus) were still on the stage at midnight and going strong so my friend and I called it a night (we both had important meetings today).

What I did see of the first two bands was not all that interesting, with each song sounding exactly the same as the one prior. Maybe the sound mix was just bad, but one couldn't tell if these guys could play their instruments or not. It was just a wall of noise.
quote:
Caught Paul Simon last night.

Hmmm - not sure how to rate this one. He sounded great and the band was tight, however the play list was weak in my opinion. I appreciated the legend, but didn't enjoy the show...

Saw him on Conan recently. Looks like he's about to die. Was disturbing.
quote:
Originally posted by Adam10:
quote:

Hmmm - not sure how to rate this one. He sounded great and the band was tight, however the play list was weak in my opinion. I appreciated the legend, but didn't enjoy the show...

We weren't close enough to get a good look at him, but he was moving around like a youngster and sounded great - it's just the songs selected were honestly somewhat boring. It wasn't even so much the "I wish he'd play more of the hits" type deal, because I'm always open to new stuff and to switching things up (especially live), but it was just slow...
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Adam10:
quote:

We weren't close enough to get a good look at him, but he was moving around like a youngster and sounded great - it's just the songs selected were honestly somewhat boring. It wasn't even so much the "I wish he'd play more of the hits" type deal, because I'm always open to new stuff and to switching things up (especially live), but it was just slow...

VB-

I have seen Paul Simon in concert several times.

His 1991 Rhythm of the Saints Tour was fantastic. I remember that he played an encore of You Can Call Me Al and the crowd went haywire. The African and Brazilian musicians that backed him were amazing as well.

I saw him with Bob Dylan several years later - good, not great.

The Simon & Garfunkel Old Friends Tour that I saw at the MGM Grand in Vegas in 2003 was absolutely incredible. The Everly Brothers came out and played a small set in the middle of the show and they sounded great. It is definitely on my Top 10 list of concerts that I have seen. Cool

I think Simon is a brilliant songwriter; one of the best of the past half-century.
quote:
Only a two-hour flight! Razz

I'd take you up on that but they do make it to Austin at least once a year and have a pretty big following here. They actually were here to tape the season premier of Austin City Limits recently but I missed them because of a wedding. Next time!
quote:
Originally posted by mountainman:
Saw Chris Isaak last week in Santa Rosa at the Wells Fargo Center which is an excellent venue for shows.

We caught Diana Krall there a couple years ago while on our annual wine tasting/Indy race trip and you're right - great spot for a show. Of course watching her all night didn't hurt... Cool
quote:
Originally posted by kingofcool:
The new bon iver is incredible.

In terms of pure magical perfection of venue, sound, timing, etc, and taking out any preference towards the artist, that was the best gig ever. I'm gutted I'm not seeing the second one tonight. Just magic. Hope he gets every award surely coming. Perth, Holocene, Calgary. Ten piece band captivated the whole room. Really can't explain it properly. Just don't miss it.
Went to the Jay-Z/Kanye show last night at staples. Sound was not as good as expected, but it was a really fun show. I know I’m in the minority on these boards in liking hip hop but it’s been something I have been drawn to since I was a kid and I think Jay-Z is one of the best all time. He made Kanye look silly last night. Fun night.
While I honestly appreciate a lot of hip-hop, and Jay-Z would likely be a fun night, I couldn't tolerate giving any support Kanye in any way, shape or form. What a completely arrogant ass on so many levels.
Just my .02 of course. Wink

Glad you guys had fun!
Saw Sting last week. Was never a big fan of Police or him, but I have to say I really enjoyed this concert. Not a big venue (Queen Elizabeth Theatre, under 3,000 seats) and great seats (row 14, dead center) made it seem much more intimate and personal than most other concerts I've attended in the last 10 years.

Band was excellent; keyboards were replaced by 2 fiddles, one played by a woman who also sang-- great voice with some pretty good jazz riffs included.

Last couple of songs in very last encore (jeez, those obligatory standing-O's and endless encores have run their course, haven't they?) were 'Every Breath You Take' and a Sting solo 'Message in a Bottle.' Predictable, since he hadn't played either hit earlier, but the audience-- myself included-- just ate it up.

The man has written a few great songs.
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:
Saw Sting last week. Was never a big fan of Police or him, but I have to say I really enjoyed this concert. Not a big venue (Queen Elizabeth Theatre, under 3,000 seats) and great seats (row 14, dead center) made it seem much more intimate and personal than most other concerts I've attended in the last 10 years.

Band was excellent; keyboards were replaced by 2 fiddles, one played by a woman who also sang-- great voice with some pretty good jazz riffs included.

Last couple of songs in very last encore (jeez, those obligatory standing-O's and endless encores have run their course, haven't they?) were 'Every Breath You Take' and a Sting solo 'Message in a Bottle.' Predictable, since he hadn't played either hit earlier, but the audience-- myself included-- just ate it up.

I wish there were more concerts at the QE.
quote:
Originally posted by Dunder:
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:

I wish there were more concerts at the QE.

I agree, smaller venues are far better to me as well. In Seattle, the Paramount Theater and Key Arena are off my list, no matter who is playing there.
quote:
Saw Andrea Bocelli tonight. So many things I could say but one word sums it up - AMAZING. Honestly one of the top two or three best performances I've ever had the opportunity of seeing. Wow...

What was the venue?

I have heard Bocelli live, and very VERY special indeed. I would love to hear him in a small opera house, regardless of cost.

I will never forget opening our doors to our hotel balcony in Sorrento and hearing Bocelli from the enoteca below. I could of died a happy man that day. Cool
He performed at the Erwin Center due to the size of the crowd (easily sold out at over 15,000 strong). Not the "best" venue but all things considered not bad as far as acoustics for an older arena. I can only imagine him in a small theater designed for sound.

I've been blessed with the opportunity to see a LOT of artists from multiple genres and like I said, this was easily one of the best shows in my life.
Flogging Molly last night at the Aragon Ballroom. My 3rd time seeing them and the best performance of the three IMO. Amazingly high-energy live band. Like Dave Grohl of the Foo Fighters, the folks in FM give the impression that they are having as much fun onstage as anyone in the audience.
quote:
Flogging Molly last night at the Aragon Ballroom. My 3rd time seeing them and the best performance of the three IMO. Amazingly high-energy live band. Like Dave Grohl of the Foo Fighters, the folks in FM give the impression that they are having as much fun onstage as anyone in the audience.

Agree 100% and jealous over the fact they didn't come to Austin this year.
I must be de-volving as I get older because I find myself going to more heavy metal concerts than in the past. Last night it was Iced Earth and Symphony X at the House of Blues.

Symphony X is a more middle-of-the-road hard rock band with a fantastic guitar player named Michael Romeo. He was the reason I went to the show and I was not disappointed.

Iced Earth on the other hand is a bit more extreme and I just couldn't enjoy their set because the sound level was so LOUD. I had earplugs and even with them in I thought they played loud, so I don't know how anyone without protection could stay through the entire evening.

All in all, not a bad evening for $40 but it could have been a bit more enjoyable if the sound and mix were adjusted.
We saw Radiohead last night.

Played their recent material well, along with a few new songs. Was hoping for some classics like Street Spirit, Fake Plastic Trees and some favorites like Like Spinning Plates, Knives Out or House of Cards, but they left those off the playlist. Altogether a great show with some very cool visual elements.
quote:
quote:

Agree 100% and jealous over the fact they didn't come to Austin this year.

Vino Bevo - on Facebook they posted a link showing additional tour dates. Looks like May 18 in Austin. Indybob, they are heading your way in June.

Link
Jabe11 got to see an American performer (and UNC boy) in Italy, while I got to see an Italian group perform in America last Thursday. Il Volo performed at a reception for a new condo grand opening and I got to meet all three members while talking with the developer. Great singers.
Saw the Ike Reilly Assassination in Chicago on St. Paddy's Day. A besotted, bawdy, and rollicking performance - as you would expect from a proper Irish-American rocker.

Very impressed with the venue (Lincoln Hall). Small, but with a balcony ringing the floor. Terrific acoustics. Same owners as Schuba's.

Cheers,

Otis
quote:
Originally posted by Jabe11:
quote:
Originally posted by aphilla:
The Aurore Quartet at Sunset in Paris tonight. Pretty fantastic.

And the program...? Any opera tix to be had?Enjoy the trip.

Don G was playing Sunday when we arrived. I wasn't quite sure we'd be able to stay awake on the first day so just had a nice dinner instead. (Plus I've seen Don G in a lot of places, and I've been to operas in both houses here, so I wasn't that motivated).

The Aurore quartet was actually a quintet - they added a trombone player. They were selling their new CD: http://www.aurorequartet.com/. And playing some of the same stuff from it. It was pretty fun. There were a couple of folks not in the group who had written songs who were in the audience as well. We saw the first two sets but left before the third - all of us had meetings early this morning.
Disheartened to say i have not seen don g. Not w/o want, the work passes around here frequently, but with young 'uns...non c'e possibile. I checked the tour dates of the quartet, as we'll be in Provence for spring break, but no dates in our area (tristan and Isolde in Nice booked solid)....the quartet looks like my type of gig (worth a disc?). They look like fun!
quote:
Originally posted by Jabe11:
Disheartened to say i have not seen don g. Not w/o want, the work passes around here frequently, but with young 'uns...non c'e possibile. I checked the tour dates of the quartet, as we'll be in Provence for spring break, but no dates in our area (tristan and Isolde in Nice booked solid)....the quartet looks like my type of gig (worth a disc?). They look like fun!

I dunno. I'll listen to it when we get home. Live jazz is just so incredible, but sometimes recordings don't live up.

Here's another French jazz quartet that we've seen and like quite a bit: http://www.moutin.com/Schedule.html. They are performing in some places outside Paris, but I don't know whether any of them will be close to you when you're in the south [grrr, just realized a bunch of the dates are past already]. I was delighted to discover they'll be in Chicago in June.
quote:
Originally posted by aphilla:
Live jazz is just so incredible, but sometimes recordings don't live up.

Agreed, but that is the case for any performance art. The true test for musicians is performing without a net: no dubs, no retakes, just plug in and play. Probably why I have so an live recordings.

Add Reply

Likes (0)