quote:
Originally posted by TBird:
if you are not 100% satisfied, i'll eat a bug! Eek

quote:
Originally posted by Primordealsoup:
Busy weekend coming up, but I may just try to make the show this Friday. Cool


Satisfied. You will not have to eat a bug. Great show.

Tomorrow night: Jake Shimabukuro
great, except now i have mixed feelings about it all as i've been reading up on the joys of bug protein.

and i just got confirmation of tix to see it again on 11/6, again at MSG. yah!!!

frank marino 11/5, roger waters 11/6.

now *that's* a weekend! Eek Razz

quote:
Originally posted by Primordealsoup:
Satisfied. You will not have to eat a bug. Great show.
Caught Joe Satriani on January 20th at the House of Blues here in Houston. Fantastic two hour show, with a great backing band. Catch him if you get a chance.

If you're a fan of Satriani I would also strongly recommend his new album (Black Swans and Wormhole Wizards). Great songs showcasing Satch's chops.
Friday I saw an ad for a Natalie Cole concert in our local paper. Love her vocals. Unfortunately, she is playing in podunk Spokane on 2/13, a Sunday night. Mad That is a good 5 hour drive in the best of weather.
Across snowy mountain passes? Just a damn shame. Frown
I hope she gets a venue here sometime soon.
LOL. Yeah. Along w/ the Red Wings and the Mets.


I forget where it was, but I actually had to explain to someone why a CUBS / BLACKHAWKS fan would not like the Redwings and/or the Mets. Silly people that don't understand sports.

As it is at this moment, I've got to DVR the BLACKHAWKS so my wife can watch some stupid show (the other TV is out). She's playing the value of the "Steak & BJ Day" against me watching the last period of the game.
quote:
Originally posted by Dick Tree:
Attended a weekend for the band Marillion on Montreal. Three shows over three nights. Utter magic!

WOW Marillion, used to be big into them back in the day...
Since I am posting here the last few concerts I have been to were disturbed & korn (CT), los lonely boys (CA), David Jacobs Strain (NY), as well as a few others.
quote:
Originally posted by Dick Tree:
Attended a weekend for the band Marillion on Montreal. Three shows over three nights. Utter magic!

Eek This was completely off my radar!

Glad it was so great. I'd have loved to attend this.

Dick - In town and no heads-up??? Would have been great to meet you and share a couple. Next time, do provide some notice, eh?
Yeah - gotta love Flogging Molly. They come through Austin once a year to a great outdoor venue so we've caught them several times as well. One of my favorite bands.

So I'm all excited about Kings of Leon tonight, right? The wife and I work in the same location and we agreed it best to lock our computers in my office rather than leave them in the back of the car in a parking garage downtown all night. We get all the way to the venue and as we are parking I scream "OH S***!" the tickets are in my laptop bag safely in my office 20 miles away. By the time we would've gotten back there in traffic, then back downtown in traffic - no way. We grabbed dinner with a nice 07 Phelps Cab and came on home.

If you saw or will see Kings of Leon on this tour, and it was good, please don't post about it!

What a moron...
LOL! When I am heading to a sporting event or concert, I'm paranoid about forgetting tickets, especially since I'm way west of Chicago proper. The neighbors probably think I have some kind of OCD watching me open my wallet and pat down my pockets about 15 times.

Sorry you missed the show, but at least you still had a date night!
*far* from sucking but right where i left them last time i saw them(1980ish). definately boring but i'd blame the setlist.

quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
quote:
Originally posted by TBird:
rush tonight, performimg "moving pictures" in it's entirety. i missed it last year and am thankful to get this second chance! Smile


So, how bad did they suck?
quote:
Originally posted by Vino Bevo:
Yeah - gotta love Flogging Molly. They come through Austin once a year to a great outdoor venue so we've caught them several times as well. One of my favorite bands.

So I'm all excited about Kings of Leon tonight, right? The wife and I work in the same location and we agreed it best to lock our computers in my office rather than leave them in the back of the car in a parking garage downtown all night. We get all the way to the venue and as we are parking I scream "OH S***!" the tickets are in my laptop bag safely in my office 20 miles away. By the time we would've gotten back there in traffic, then back downtown in traffic - no way. We grabbed dinner with a nice 07 Phelps Cab and came on home.

If you saw or will see Kings of Leon on this tour, and it was good, please don't post about it!

What a moron...


Brutal. I am the King of forgetting things and losing things, but for some reason I've never forgotten my tickets. The closest I've come is driving halfway down my street and going back to the house. Surprising.

I would have grabbed some scalpers...
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:
Originally posted by Dick Tree:
Attended a weekend for the band Marillion on Montreal. Three shows over three nights. Utter magic!

Eek This was completely off my radar!

Glad it was so great. I'd have loved to attend this.

Dick - In town and no heads-up??? Would have been great to meet you and share a couple. Next time, do provide some notice, eh?


The good news for Marillion fans in North America is that they will be coming over for full-fledged tour next year, probably in the summer. Even if you were a fan when Fish was the singer be sure to catch them. The shows are really great.

The following week I caught three RUSH concerts over five nights (Toledo, Cleveland, and Detroit) and thought all were stellar shows. The Cleveland show was filmed for a new DVD and Alex Lifeson appeared a little tense early on, but by the second half he was on fire.
Sparty, are you a fan of Foo Fighters? I would put them in the top 3 or 4 live shows I've ever sean, mainly due to the energy of Dave Grohl. I'm hoping their Lolla appearance doesn't mean they don't do an arena show in the area.

I was kinda hoping metal's "Big 4" would have made this a midwest stop.
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
Sparty, are you a fan of Foo Fighters?

Not a big fan, but enjoy quite a few of the songs I've heard. They are someone I would be interested in seeing if the timing worked out, but won't plan around. I have a buddy that was pretty excited that they are playing at Lolla, so there is a chance I may tag along with him.
quote:
Originally posted by gigabit:
U2 360

Excellent. How were they?

I'm seeing them in 2 weeks with Lenny Kravitz opening. I saw Kravitz when I was in my early teens (or maybe even younger?) opening for the Stones in an 80,000 person stadium and I may have had the worst seats in the house; I've never seen U2 in concert, so needless to say, I'm quite excited.
quote:
Originally posted by winetarelli:
quote:
Originally posted by gigabit:
U2 360

Excellent. How were they?

I'm seeing them in 2 weeks with Lenny Kravitz opening. I saw Kravitz when I was in my early teens (or maybe even younger?) opening for the Stones in an 80,000 person stadium and I may have had the worst seats in the house; I've never seen U2 in concert, so needless to say, I'm quite excited.

The concert is tonight. I will post a review on FB or here. Smile
quote:
Originally posted by gigabit:
quote:
Originally posted by winetarelli:
quote:
Originally posted by gigabit:
U2 360

Excellent. How were they?

I'm seeing them in 2 weeks with Lenny Kravitz opening. I saw Kravitz when I was in my early teens (or maybe even younger?) opening for the Stones in an 80,000 person stadium and I may have had the worst seats in the house; I've never seen U2 in concert, so needless to say, I'm quite excited.

The concert is tonight. I will post a review on FB or here. Smile


Insert envious graemlin here..... Tried several times to get tickets and failed, had free tickets once I could not use, the gods do not want me to see these Dubliners. Frown
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
Paco de Lucia tonight at the Montreal Jazz Festival.

I really need to attend the Festival one year.

A PHENOMENAL concert! Well worth seeking out for anyone who appreciates Flemenco and Spanish guitar. Incredible passion all evening.
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
Paco de Lucia tonight at the Montreal Jazz Festival.

I really need to attend the Festival one year.

A PHENOMENAL concert! Well worth seeking out for anyone who appreciates Flemenco and Spanish guitar. Incredible passion all evening.
very cool K...I hope to see him someday. Cool
On consecutive nights in Las Vegas I caught shows by Deep Purple and Rush.

Deep Purple (backed by a 30-plus person orchestra) was enjoyable even though Ian Gillan's voice is showing signs of wear and tear. An intimate venue (Pearl Theater inside Palm Casino) had good accoustics but it was a bit loud. The set-list contained all the classics and some lesser known tunes as well. My only disappointment was the omission of "Ted the Mechanic" and "Sometimes I Feel Like Screaming" off the Purpendicular album.

The opening act for Deep Purple (Ernie & the Automatics) was actually very enjoyable. Comprised of former members of Boston (Barry Goudreau, Sib Hashian) and J. Geils Band they played a rousing 40 minute set that included a great medley from Boston's debut album.

Rush played at the Grand Garden Arena inside MGM Grand and as usual they were outstanding. The show lasted for three hours (no opening act) and the second half was kicked off by them playing the Moving Pictures album in its entirety. Songs like "Tom Sawyer", "Limelight" and "Red Barchetta" are staples of FM radio so I can take or leave them. Seeing the band perform "The Camera Eye", "Witch Hunt" and "Vital Signs" however was a real treat.

A special nod to Howard Ungerleider who designs and oversees Rush's light show. Visually this show is as stunning as the music.
Airborne Toxic Event w/ Calder Quartet - easily one of the most innovative, interesting and talented indie/alternative group of musicians performing today. An absolutely compelling performance.

My Chemical Romance - Terrific music but the band seemed somewhat disinterested to go along with a lousy LA crowd. Can someone please demolish the Hollywood Palladium?
Just saw John Legend and Sade myself Saturday At Pru. Center in Newark.John Legend was very good but a little too loud and too much bass(body vibrations).As for Sade it was absolutley mesmerizing.Very sensual, still has an excellent voice ,she looked great and the band was so tight (precise)just awsome.If she coming your way check it out.Real class
quote:
Originally posted by Adam10:
I had no idea Sade was still performing...

It's odd to me to open a newspaper to the Arts section and see so many performers (many that I didn't know were still alive) playing at Indian casinos and state fairs around here. Coming to our state fair later this summer is Peter and Paul (no Mary Frown) and Cheap Trick. Really?
Later comes Sammy Hagar, Chicago, The Flaming Lips, and Counting Crows.
Now Weird Al and Larry the Cable Guy, sure. But the rest? Didn't these guys save any of their money? Just sad.
quote:
Originally posted by mneeley490:
quote:
Originally posted by Adam10:
I had no idea Sade was still performing...

Coming to our state fair later this summer is Peter and Paul (no Mary Frown)


Well, Mary died 2 years ago. We saw them at Wolf Trap on 4th of July weekend years ago. Good times.
quote:
Originally posted by Jcocktosten:
quote:
Originally posted by mneeley490:
quote:
Originally posted by Adam10:
I had no idea Sade was still performing...

Coming to our state fair later this summer is Peter and Paul (no Mary Frown)


Well, Mary died 2 years ago. We saw them at Wolf Trap on 4th of July weekend years ago. Good times.


I think she died while choking on s corned beef sandwich
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:
Originally posted by hendersonalsorises:
I think she died while choking on s corned beef sandwich


Roll Eyes Actually, she died of complications from a bone marrow transplant to treat her leukemia. Classy post, Henderson. Frown

Mama Cass thought it was pretty hysterical

PH
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:
Originally posted by mneeley490:
Didn't these guys save any of their money? Just sad.

Compare ticket prices when these bands were in their heyday and now. Hard to pass up if you can still belt it out, methinks.


My guess is that these older bands are touring again because there is no more income generated from sales of CD's or record albums. The proliferation of using computers to copy albums has simply rendered the old business model obsolete and with a lot of record companies themselves going under the only way to make any money is going on the road to generate revenue from ticket sales and merchandise.
Opening of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra at Ravinia tonight, featuring Lang Lang on piano doing Liszt's Piano Concerto No. 1 in E-flat Major, Chopin's Andante Spianato in G Major and Grande Polonaise in E-flat Major, and Berlioz's Symphonie Fantastique.

Always a good time at Ravinia.
quote:
Originally posted by Dick Tree:
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:
Originally posted by mneeley490:
Didn't these guys save any of their money? Just sad.

Compare ticket prices when these bands were in their heyday and now. Hard to pass up if you can still belt it out, methinks.


My guess is that these older bands are touring again because there is no more income generated from sales of CD's or record albums. The proliferation of using computers to copy albums has simply rendered the old business model obsolete and with a lot of record companies themselves going under the only way to make any money is going on the road to generate revenue from ticket sales and merchandise.


For most well known bands, there has always been more money in touring than in cd/tape/album sales. My guess is that these older bands are 1) bored and 2) like everyone, needing just a little more cash.

G
quote:
Originally posted by Sharkey:
Last night: Bruce Hornsby and The Noise Makers

What an absolutely enjoyable show. Just plain fun. Entertaining show, fantastic songs, phenomenal music quality at the Pagent. Besides Steely Dan, Bruce Hornsby's bands are the tightest that I have every seen/heard in concert.


Steely Dan is going to be at Ravinia in August. I'd really like to see them. It sounds like they consistently do good shows?
Thoroughly enjoyed U2 in Chicago this week. They had some interesting additions from the 2009 version of the 360 Tour we caught in Dallas, like Gabby Gifford's husband introducing Beautiful Day from space. As always with them, amazing show that brought down the house. We were sitting in the first section off the ground and literally felt the stadium move with the crowd during Elevation - my wife looked at me and asked if I thought the structure was strong enough for it!
Okay. Saw Michael Buble last night. 320 or so people. Intimate, great setting - the lawn in front of the Rhine House at Beringer. Nice, decent, whatever. I don't get all the Buble love. Confused

HOWEVER!!!!!!!!! The opening act was a group called "Naturally 7". Awesome! They are basically an a capella act, except the members "play" musical instruments with their voices. Simply fantastic. If you ever have the opportunity to see them, GO!!!

Here is a long youtube video of them -

Naturally7
quote:
Originally posted by Dom'n'Vin'sDad:
Okay. Saw Michael Buble last night. 320 or so people. Intimate, great setting - the lawn in front of the Rhine House at Beringer. Nice, decent, whatever. I don't get all the Buble love. Confused

HOWEVER!!!!!!!!! The opening act was a group called "Naturally 7". Awesome! They are basically an a capella act, except the members "play" musical instruments with their voices. Simply fantastic. If you ever have the opportunity to see them, GO!!!

Here is a long youtube video of them -

Naturally7

I had just the reverse reaction when I saw the two of them here. Naturally 7 reminded me of one of those "America's Got Talent" acts. Couldn't wait for them to get off the stage.
First time I saw Buble, he had Jann Arden as his opener. Enjoyed her much more.
quote:
Originally posted by mneeley490:
quote:
Originally posted by Dom'n'Vin'sDad:
Okay. Saw Michael Buble last night. 320 or so people. Intimate, great setting - the lawn in front of the Rhine House at Beringer. Nice, decent, whatever. I don't get all the Buble love. Confused

HOWEVER!!!!!!!!! The opening act was a group called "Naturally 7". Awesome! They are basically an a capella act, except the members "play" musical instruments with their voices. Simply fantastic. If you ever have the opportunity to see them, GO!!!

Here is a long youtube video of them -

Naturally7

I had just the reverse reaction when I saw the two of them here. Naturally 7 reminded me of one of those "America's Got Talent" acts. Couldn't wait for them to get off the stage.
First time I saw Buble, he had Jann Arden as his opener. Enjoyed her much more.


Well then we kind of had the same reaction. Both of us enjoyed the opening act more than Buble!
quote:
Originally posted by Primordialsoup:
quote:
Originally posted by Juicy:
Will be seeing Ottmar Liebert on Sunday in the City. Really looking forward to this.

Saw him last month in a really nice venue in CT. He was excellent (bare-feet and all).


Excellent in SF and bare-feet as well. Great evening.

Add Reply

Likes (0)
×
×
×
×