quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
quote:
Originally posted by Pinotlvr:
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
quote:
Originally posted by Pinotlvr:
Thanks to the Ticketmaster settlement I'll be seeing some shows this summer for free:
Def Leppard

Still a horrendous qpr. Razz


You and I must have to agree to disagree on DL. Loved them as a teen..and their setlist is heavily tilted to those 80's glory days.

All these freebies (my other Def Leppard tickets in May were freebies too) allowed me to afford VIP M&G tickets for Ghost in November Big Grin

All good, and I'm sure you know I'm just having fun with you. Wink The only thing in my area of note was Black Sabbath's "final" tour. I don't like them enough to stand on a grassy slope, even for free. Important band, but...


What?????????? Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by Primordialsoup:
Peter Gabriel and Sting @ MSG in NYC. Fantastic concert. Not just rehashed hits, but reworked songs as well as each of them singing each others music. Both bands shared the stage many times- 14 excellent musicians! Also 2 full crews. Fun and well done.


Sounds awesome! I was just offered good tix at face for the Hollywood Bowl. Hopefully I can make it
Paul Simon at Forest Hills Stadium on June 30th. Great setting. Very good show. Terrific musicianship as he and the band reinterpreted his five decade catalog.

The attendees at the rain pelted July 1st show were rewarded with Sounds of Silence and Bridge Over Trouble Waters.

Neil
quote:
Originally posted by Kwbonez:
hey I was there too!!! FKG did say hi but we never saw you. It was a rough night for me, drank way too much.


I was walking the dogs - actually saw you and the gang on Windsor lane but I was bee-lining home to get them out as we did not plan on going and decided at the last minute as we walked past. Quick walk and I biked to the theatre and made with 30 seconds to spare. Was fun
quote:
Originally posted by Neil K.:
Paul Simon at Forest Hills Stadium on June 30th. Great setting. Very good show. Terrific musicianship as he and the band reinterpreted his five decade catalog.

The attendees at the rain pelted July 1st show were rewarded with Sounds of Silence and Bridge Over Trouble Waters.

Neil

What a great place to see him. Could you taste the terrior?
We usually see them a couple of times each year since first seeing them open for the Barenaked Ladies back in the 90's. They always joke about the number of songs they have about Jesus since the three main members are all Jewish.

I'm surprised you've heard of them - almost nobody I ever mention them to has heard of them, or at least remembers them.
quote:
Originally posted by thelostverse:
We usually see them a couple of times each year since first seeing them open for the Barenaked Ladies back in the 90's. They always joke about the number of songs they have about Jesus since the three main members are all Jewish.

I'm surprised you've heard of them - almost nobody I ever mention them to has heard of them, or at least remembers them.


I have a bunch of their songs on my playlists. Amsterdam, Satellite etc.
quote:
Originally posted by Jcocktosten:
quote:
Originally posted by thelostverse:
We usually see them a couple of times each year since first seeing them open for the Barenaked Ladies back in the 90's. They always joke about the number of songs they have about Jesus since the three main members are all Jewish.

I'm surprised you've heard of them - almost nobody I ever mention them to has heard of them, or at least remembers them.


I have a bunch of their songs on my playlists. Amsterdam, Satellite etc.


Lost and Gone Forever is one of my favorite albums - Desert Island top five favorite.
Dave Mason, Doobie Brothers and Journey at Molson Amphitheatre on Lake Ontario in Toronto. Really nice outdoor venue but it was stinking hot and humid and quite a hike to get there, especially since I sprained my ankle and twisted my knee a week ago and could only move at a painful snail's pace.

Missed all but the last song by Mason, which was All Along the Watchtower. Doobies were remarkably tight for such a group of oldsters and covered almost all the classics as well as a couple of album cuts from The Captain and Me, one of my favourite albums.

Journey was way too loud and included way too many self-indulgent guitar solos of questionable merit. We almost left about halfway through but had to hear Don't Stop Believin'
quote:
Originally posted by Primordialsoup:
Tedeschi Trucks & Los Lobos last night. Outdoor venues are great in the summer when the weather cooperates.


That must have been great, Tedeschi Trucks is one of the best bands going at the moment. Los Lobos is a favorite, even though much of their music was produced before I was born.
quote:
Originally posted by BOMBA503:
Just got passes for my daughter and I to see CHIC with Nile Rodgers and Duran Duran tonight at Sleep Train Ampitheatre


Well that took a right turnSmile We got invited to Dance on the stage with Nile Rodgers and Chic to their classic Good Times and got to hang with him after their set. A great fun memory for my daughter.
Went to Way Home festival just north of Barrie. Finally got to see LCD Soundsystem amongst others (Foals, Last Shadow Puppets, Chvrches, Metric, Gary Clark Jr, UMO, Third Eye Blind -that was a throwback). I met a hero in Alex Turner (Arctic Monkeys and LSP) in VIP during Arcade Fire, so that was me all made up.

Back to Osheaga next year though. Pain in the arse getting in and out of a camping festival each day up north.
Last week I went to our big outdoor amphitheater on back-to-back nights to see Weezer one night, and Kenny Chesney the other. Both pretty much played their greatest hits. Really good, but I'd love to see some lesser known songs or a cover song being thrown in there. You can't help to think that they just do the exact same show every single night.
quote:
Originally posted by Winedrmike:
Springsteen played for 4 hours nonstop last night in the meadowlands. He ended the night with jersey girl. For my jersey girl wife (and the other 25,000 jersey girls in attendance) it doesn't get any better.

Very cool! I've only seen him once, and was fortunate it was one of the last shows with the full band. Frown
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
quote:
Originally posted by Winedrmike:
Springsteen played for 4 hours nonstop last night in the meadowlands. He ended the night with jersey girl. For my jersey girl wife (and the other 25,000 jersey girls in attendance) it doesn't get any better.

Very cool! I've only seen him once, and was fortunate it was one of the last shows with the full band. Frown


Being from NJ, I've seen him probably a dozen times. He normally takes requests from the audience, but last night, one of the requests was Santa Claus is coming to town which is a rare treat. He invited the kid that requested it to come up on stage and sing it with him.
quote:
Originally posted by Winedrmike:
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
quote:
Originally posted by Winedrmike:
Springsteen played for 4 hours nonstop last night in the meadowlands. He ended the night with jersey girl. For my jersey girl wife (and the other 25,000 jersey girls in attendance) it doesn't get any better.

Very cool! I've only seen him once, and was fortunate it was one of the last shows with the full band. Frown


Being from NJ, I've seen him probably a dozen times. He normally takes requests from the audience, but last night, one of the requests was Santa Claus is coming to town which is a rare treat. He invited the kid that requested it to come up on stage and sing it with him.


Saw him in Cleveland early this spring, and he played Youngstown, which is a personal favorite of mine based on our family history in the steel industry.
Going to see him again 9/11 in Pittsburgh, can't wait.
A friend of mine saw him in Norway last month and he did almost a 4 hour show as well.
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
quote:
Originally posted by Pinotlvr:
Doesn't he only have like 3-4 good songs? Must be a chore to hear 30+ more

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

3-4 more than shit bands like Def Leopard! Razz


What Bill said!

Go pour some sugar on yourself......
quote:
Originally posted by Vino Bevo:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by Fox:
Jeff Beck with Buddy Guy at the Masonic in San Francisco. Great show with guest appearance by Carlos Santana.


Wow.

Indeed - double wow!


Buddy Guy is playing at Deadwood Jam this year on Saturday night with the Motet opening. Alas, I'll be hunting deer with my dad in Nevada. My friends are going to have a great time.
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
Please don't encourage him, B. Next thing you know, he takes the bait and we see some "interesting" pictures. on FB. Wink


What would you like to see? My current plan come Sunday will be football related, but since L is going to see Maroon 5, I could give you a sexy pic of Adam Levine instead Smile
quote:
Originally posted by Pinotlvr:
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
Please don't encourage him, B. Next thing you know, he takes the bait and we see some "interesting" pictures. on FB. Wink


What would you like to see? My current plan come Sunday will be football related, but since L is going to see Maroon 5, I could give you a sexy pic of Adam Levine instead Smile

Ha! Already seen him/them. One of those good husband things. Smile
quote:
Originally posted by Pinotlvr:
Got tickets to see Garth Brooks in October. He's been on my bucket list for sometime and thought I had marked it off, but his entire stop in Tampa last year was cancelled due to soccer on ice playoffs.


Springsteen may have only had 3-4 good songs, in your opinion, but did Garth ever have any??
Wink
quote:
Originally posted by patespo1:
quote:
Originally posted by Pinotlvr:
Got tickets to see Garth Brooks in October. He's been on my bucket list for sometime and thought I had marked it off, but his entire stop in Tampa last year was cancelled due to soccer on ice playoffs.


Springsteen may have only had 3-4 good songs, in your opinion, but did Garth ever have any??
Wink


Thanks for asking...based on songwriting credits, there are 8, though he didn't write my favorite song that he performs.
Rob Thomas and Counting Crows last night. You forget how many hits Matchbox Twenty cranked out until you hear all of them at once. Counting Crows were a little more subdued, and played only 3 songs from August and Everything After which was a bit disappointing. But man, Adam Duritz has a great voice.
quote:
Originally posted by Pinotlvr:
Brantley Gilbert - what a kick ass show!!

Like Springsteen, without the New Jersey attitude, without being associated with New Jersey, with good song writing skills and a good band....oh and good songs


harsh....... Razz
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
quote:
Originally posted by Pinotlvr:
Brantley Gilbert - what a kick ass show!!

Like Springsteen, without the New Jersey attitude, without being associated with New Jersey, with good song writing skills and a good band....oh and good songs


harsh....... Razz

And bullshit! Smile
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
quote:
Originally posted by Pinotlvr:
Brantley Gilbert - what a kick ass show!!

Like Springsteen, without the New Jersey attitude, without being associated with New Jersey, with good song writing skills and a good band....oh and good songs


harsh....... Razz

And bullshit! Smile


Hey, the not being from New Jersey part is real Big Grin Big Grin
Last night at Kaboo festival in Del Mar

Sugar Ray
Echosmith
Andrew McMahon
Citizen Cope
Hall and Oates
Gavin Degraw

Had a chance to cross Jimmy Buffett of my bucket list but #notonmybucketlist

Saw Fall Out Boy instead

Always great to see Hall and Oates but my favorite performance of the night was Gavin Degraw partially because it was on the smaller stage in the paddock area. the two big outdoor stages don't have great sound due to noise level limitations.

Looking forward to Lenny Kravitz and aerosmith tonight but just as much to Collective Soul and Goo Goo Dolls which are also playing the smaller more closed in stage in the paddock area.
I was also at the same festival that Bomba referenced. I guess I only have Stagecoach (country Coachella) to compare to it, but it is a pretty great festival in my opinion. There is live music, live comedy, and late-night DJs. And the best restaurants in the city have booths there, tons of breweries/distilleries/wineries. I did a tasting with Mike Trujillo (Karl Lawrence/Sequoia Grove). I started my Saturday afternoon with a lobster roll and a Montelena chardonnay. Not your usual concert festival food.

Musical Highglights:
Chainsmokers--I was absolutely blown away by the DJ duo(I know, not an actual band). I was never a club-goer, nor will I become one, but dang it was fun.
Jason Isbell--One of my favorite musicians, and he played a great set to a sparse crowd. Kind of a bummer for him, but great for me
Avett Brothers--Never really listened to them, but they were great
Flo Rida--Again, an unexpected highlight.
Capital Cities
Atlas Genius
Jack Johnson--Sentimental choice as he was one of my favorites when we moved here in 01. Perfect Sunday night, casual beach vibe gig
Snoop Dog--he played a DJ set at like 1 in the morning. We made it for about a half an hour before bowing out, realizing our kids had soccer at 8 in the morning.
Dana Carvey--A lot of political impersonations, but he was pretty funny

Lowlights:
Third Eye Blind--music was fine...his dialog was horrendous
Sarah Silverman--didn't really find her funny, and she was super pretentious and too obsessed with people who talked or had a cell phone out. Cringe-worthy.
Cypress Hill--Just meh. It's probably been 20 years since I've seen them, and it was pretty much the exact same show. Missed the beginning of the Avett bros to see them. Big mistake.

The other headliners were fine (Jimmy Buffett, Aerosmith, and Hall and Oates). Just not my cup of tea when it comes to music.
Roger Hodgson (singer/songwriter/keyboardist of Supertramp) in Ottawa. Small venue, 4 piece backing band, sound quality not great (hockey rinks rarely offer great sound quality) but very enjoyable, especially if one is a hard-core Supertramp fan like me. Played almost all the classics (though not Rudy or Even in the Quietest Moments, sadly) and played them well. Could even hit almost all the high notes. We especially enjoyed the chit-chatting and story-telling between tunes. The guy clearly enjoys his work!
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
Roger Hodgson (singer/songwriter/keyboardist of Supertramp) in Ottawa. Small venue, 4 piece backing band, sound quality not great (hockey rinks rarely offer great sound quality) but very enjoyable, especially if one is a hard-core Supertramp fan like me. Played almost all the classics (though not Rudy or Even in the Quietest Moments, sadly) and played them well. Could even hit almost all the high notes. We especially enjoyed the chit-chatting and story-telling between tunes. The guy clearly enjoys his work!

A hockey rink is a small venue?
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
Roger Hodgson (singer/songwriter/keyboardist of Supertramp) in Ottawa. Small venue, 4 piece backing band, sound quality not great (hockey rinks rarely offer great sound quality) but very enjoyable, especially if one is a hard-core Supertramp fan like me. Played almost all the classics (though not Rudy or Even in the Quietest Moments, sadly) and played them well. Could even hit almost all the high notes. We especially enjoyed the chit-chatting and story-telling between tunes. The guy clearly enjoys his work!

A hockey rink is a small venue?


It was the rink where the Junior A Ottawa 67s play. Only about half the ice and a third of the seats were used, the rest blocked off with a floor to ceiling curtain. Maybe 5000 people or so? It felt quite intimate, though we had seats fairly close to the stage which made it feel even more so.
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
Played almost all the classics (though not Rudy or Even in the Quietest Moments, sadly) and played them well.

Well, that's because Rick Davies wrote and sang Rudy, and there's no love lost between those two.

Davies wrote and sang quite a few of the hits: Bloody Well Right, Crime of the Century, Goodbye Stranger...

Hodgson never plays any of the songs that Davies wrote.
quote:
Originally posted by Italian Wino:
Yo Yo Ma with the Louisville Orchestra. Great show and hopefully not the last time I see him live.

Nice. My wife saw him at pre-concert recital when she was in college. There were about 50 students bunched up front. When he paused between movement, he would engage the gathered audience.
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
Roger Hodgson (singer/songwriter/keyboardist of Supertramp) in Ottawa. Small venue, 4 piece backing band, sound quality not great (hockey rinks rarely offer great sound quality) but very enjoyable, especially if one is a hard-core Supertramp fan like me. Played almost all the classics (though not Rudy or Even in the Quietest Moments, sadly) and played them well. Could even hit almost all the high notes. We especially enjoyed the chit-chatting and story-telling between tunes. The guy clearly enjoys his work!

A hockey rink is a small venue?

I saw La Traviata at the hockey rink in Bassano del Grappa. The sound was surprisingly good, but it was a small complex and there seemed to be acoustic modifications.
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
Roger Hodgson (singer/songwriter/keyboardist of Supertramp) in Ottawa. Small venue, 4 piece backing band, sound quality not great (hockey rinks rarely offer great sound quality) but very enjoyable, especially if one is a hard-core Supertramp fan like me. Played almost all the classics (though not Rudy or Even in the Quietest Moments, sadly) and played them well. Could even hit almost all the high notes. We especially enjoyed the chit-chatting and story-telling between tunes. The guy clearly enjoys his work!

A hockey rink is a small venue?


It was the rink where the Junior A Ottawa 67s play. Only about half the ice and a third of the seats were used, the rest blocked off with a floor to ceiling curtain. Maybe 5000 people or so? It felt quite intimate, though we had seats fairly close to the stage which made it feel even more so.

B, thanks for the reply. Small venue to me would be a club or theater, but I know what you are saying.

I do think live sound mixing has come a long way since my first couple years going to concerts in the early 80's. But a building not designed with music in mind won't help.
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
Played almost all the classics (though not Rudy or Even in the Quietest Moments, sadly) and played them well.

Well, that's because Rick Davies wrote and sang Rudy, and there's no love lost between those two.

Davies wrote and sang quite a few of the hits: Bloody Well Right, Crime of the Century, Goodbye Stranger...

Hodgson never plays any of the songs that Davies wrote.


That makes sense. It was also a bit odd to go to a show without any big screen media - just some coloured lights like shows back in the day. Though even then, saw Supertramp in 1977 and there was a big screen back of the stage.
Interesting Sunny. I'll have to go check set lists but you are probably correct.

bman, sorry he didnt play "Even in the Quietest moments" for you. Its one of my favorites and he played it all three times I saw him. I particularly enjoyed the story he told about how the song came to him while sitting around a fire in the Northern California woods. He's the first performer Ive seen spend that much time talking about the origin of his songs since Springsteen (though he mostly gave up doing that many years ago).
quote:
Originally posted by BOMBA503:
Interesting Sunny. I'll have to go check set lists but you are probably correct.

bman, sorry he didnt play "Even in the Quietest moments" for you. Its one of my favorites and he played it all three times I saw him. I particularly enjoyed the story he told about how the song came to him while sitting around a fire in the Northern California woods. He's the first performer Ive seen spend that much time talking about the origin of his songs since Springsteen (though he mostly gave up doing that many years ago).

Not only does Hodgson not play any of Davies, songs, he says that it's supposed to be a reciprocal contractual agreement. Davies (who continues to perform sporadically as "Supertramp" with two other members of the classic lineup) isn't supposed to play any of the Hodgson songs, but he includes about half a dozen of them in his set list. (Davies cancelled Supertramp's 2015 European tour when he was diagnosed with multiple myeloma.)

Here's info about the songwriting issue:

http://www.rogerhodgson.com/do...nts/songwriters.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvs...s-playing-songs.html
quote:
Originally posted by BOMBA503:
Interesting Sunny. I'll have to go check set lists but you are probably correct.

bman, sorry he didnt play "Even in the Quietest moments" for you. Its one of my favorites and he played it all three times I saw him. I particularly enjoyed the story he told about how the song came to him while sitting around a fire in the Northern California woods. He's the first performer Ive seen spend that much time talking about the origin of his songs since Springsteen (though he mostly gave up doing that many years ago).


He did the same at our show. One of the things we most enjoyed. Even switch up the lyrics for a moment to one of his newer songs, one I didn't know, to insert some Canadian references (Tim Hortons! Big Grin)
quote:
Originally posted by Jabe11:
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
Roger Hodgson (singer/songwriter/keyboardist of Supertramp) in Ottawa. Small venue, 4 piece backing band, sound quality not great (hockey rinks rarely offer great sound quality) but very enjoyable, especially if one is a hard-core Supertramp fan like me. Played almost all the classics (though not Rudy or Even in the Quietest Moments, sadly) and played them well. Could even hit almost all the high notes. We especially enjoyed the chit-chatting and story-telling between tunes. The guy clearly enjoys his work!

A hockey rink is a small venue?

I saw La Traviata at the hockey rink in Bassano del Grappa. The sound was surprisingly good, but it was a small complex and there seemed to be acoustic modifications.


You know, there's an artistic angle to exploit there - operas performed on ice skates. Yeah, that would be a thing.....
While in Phoenix, Ringo Starr and his All Starr Band comprising Todd Rundgren, Gregg Rolie, Steve Lukather, Richard Page, Warren Ham and Greg Bissonette.

Great show and high energy considering the age of the entertainers (and the audience). It was a bit more than I expected as they performed many songs from Toto, Mr. Mister, Santana and Todd Rundgren in addition to Ringo's playlist. It was a great night.
Amor Artis @ Basilica of St. Patrick's Old Cathedral NYC- beautiful choral music with great acoustics.

Michael Kiwanuka cancelled his US tour due to tonsillitis. I had a ticket for NYC show and was really looking forward to seeing him live. His new album Love & Hate is my favorite of the year.

Bon Iver- missed last night due to UPS mis-routing my over-nighted ticket. Big bummer. Will try again for another show.
The Musical Box at Massey Hall

Recreation of a 1973 "Selling England By The Pound" tour concert.

Genesis tribute band from Montreal. They've been at it for 23 years. They do spot on recreations of classic Genesis concerts.

I believe they're unofficially sanctioned by the members of Genesis, and they purchased the original sets, props and costumes from the band. Everything is identical to the original performances, including the stage setup, the instruments played by the band, and the banter between songs.

Peter Gabriel brought his kids to see them once so they could understand what their dad used to do for a living.

The musicianship is incredible across the board, and the guy who does Gabriel is eerily good - both his look and his voice.

This is the performance they recreated last night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FBcz3tBH74
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
The Musical Box at Massey Hall

Recreation of a 1973 "Selling England By The Pound" tour concert.

Genesis tribute band from Montreal. They've been at it for 23 years. They do spot on recreations of classic Genesis concerts.

I believe they're unofficially sanctioned by the members of Genesis, and they purchased the original sets, props and costumes from the band. Everything is identical to the original performances, including the stage setup, the instruments played by the band, and the banter between songs.

Peter Gabriel brought his kids to see them once so they could understand what their dad used to do for a living.

The musicianship is incredible across the board, and the guy who does Gabriel is eerily good - both his look and his voice.

This is the performance they recreated last night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FBcz3tBH74


Thanks for sharing. Watching it now and its sending chills down my spine. I was too young to catch these shows back in the day but my brother (4 years older than I) went to them and told me all about them. I always wished I could have seen the original theatrical Genesis shows. Does that band tour the US at all?

Update: Google is my friend. Playing 30 minutes up the road in FebSmile
quote:
Originally posted by BOMBA503:
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
The Musical Box at Massey Hall

Recreation of a 1973 "Selling England By The Pound" tour concert.

Genesis tribute band from Montreal. They've been at it for 23 years. They do spot on recreations of classic Genesis concerts.

I believe they're unofficially sanctioned by the members of Genesis, and they purchased the original sets, props and costumes from the band. Everything is identical to the original performances, including the stage setup, the instruments played by the band, and the banter between songs.

Peter Gabriel brought his kids to see them once so they could understand what their dad used to do for a living.

The musicianship is incredible across the board, and the guy who does Gabriel is eerily good - both his look and his voice.

This is the performance they recreated last night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FBcz3tBH74


Thanks for sharing. Watching it now and its sending chills down my spine. I was too young to catch these shows back in the day but my brother (4 years older than I) went to them and told me all about them. I always wished I could have seen the original theatrical Genesis shows. Does that band tour the US at all?

Update: Google is my friend. Playing 30 minutes up the road in FebSmile


We saw them 9 years ago and were disappointed. No spark or pizzazz at all, pretty much going through the motions. Maybe it was just an off night.

Add Reply

Likes (0)
×
×
×
×