Over the weekend, at Lollapalooza:

Arcade Fire
The National
MGMT
Frightened Rabbit
Hockey
Yeasayer
Mumford & Sons
The Cribs
Green Day
Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros
JP, Chrissie, & the Fairground Boys
The XX
Stars
Wild Beasts
The Soft Pack
The Morning Benders
Foxy Shazam
Wavves
Los Amgos Invisibles
Mavis Staples
Drive-By Truckers
The New Pornographers
Dirty Projectors
The Black Keys
Jimmy Cliff
Lady Gaga
The Strokes

I need a nap.
Caught the new Rush tour in Toronto and was quite happy with the setlist and light show. For three guys in their mid to late 50's to play for three hours with no opening act is quite a feat.

On the other end of the spectrum I attended a Queensryche show titled "Queensryche Caberet" last week. It was awful. From my perspective it looked like they were trying to come up with something that would play in a Vegas casino. Yuck.
quote:
Originally posted by Dick Tree:
Caught the new Rush tour in Toronto and was quite happy with the setlist and light show. For three guys in their mid to late 50's to play for three hours with no opening act is quite a feat.

On the other end of the spectrum I attended a Queensryche show titled "Queensryche Caberet" last week. It was awful. From my perspective it looked like they were trying to come up with something that would play in a Vegas casino. Yuck.


Dick Tree - this is hilarious. You and I saw EXACTLY the same two concerts except I saw both in LA.

Saw Rush last night - AMAZING. Going tomorrow to see them in Irvine. I think this was their best show I've seen them play. Loved hearing The Camera Eye live. I'm trying to find ways to get to them to try to convince them they need to play Hemispheres. Doubt that will ever happen.

Queensryche was a disaster. First, I didn't realize they had 7 albums come out since Empire so I knew two of the songs. Two, the people in attendance were kind of disgusting. Lots of ladies vomiting in the bathroom. I did feel bad for them, though. They went from a "Standing Room Only" show to suddenly putting seats in to fill up more of the space. After about 5 songs in, Geoff had to ask the audience to stand up because people were sitting in their seats like they were watching a play. That whole thing was a bloody mess.
Saw Sting the end of June with the Orchestra. Was one of the most enjoyable concerts I've attended. It really was a feature of the artist and actually hearing them sing instead of just belting out tunes in front of a wall of sound.

Was concerned that without people filling the upper bowl the acoustics would be bad (like they were for the Springstein folk band concert a couple years ago that we had to walk out on), but it was phenomenal. The clarity of his voice allowed hearing those neuances you pick up when listening to the albums in the pristine recording studio. If you're a fan of his, I couldn't recommend it enough.
quote:
Originally posted by Zinerator:
quote:
Originally posted by Dick Tree:
Caught the new Rush tour in Toronto and was quite happy with the setlist and light show. For three guys in their mid to late 50's to play for three hours with no opening act is quite a feat.

On the other end of the spectrum I attended a Queensryche show titled "Queensryche Caberet" last week. It was awful. From my perspective it looked like they were trying to come up with something that would play in a Vegas casino. Yuck.


Dick Tree - this is hilarious. You and I saw EXACTLY the same two concerts except I saw both in LA.

Saw Rush last night - AMAZING. Going tomorrow to see them in Irvine. I think this was their best show I've seen them play. Loved hearing The Camera Eye live. I'm trying to find ways to get to them to try to convince them they need to play Hemispheres. Doubt that will ever happen.

Queensryche was a disaster. First, I didn't realize they had 7 albums come out since Empire so I knew two of the songs. Two, the people in attendance were kind of disgusting. Lots of ladies vomiting in the bathroom. I did feel bad for them, though. They went from a "Standing Room Only" show to suddenly putting seats in to fill up more of the space. After about 5 songs in, Geoff had to ask the audience to stand up because people were sitting in their seats like they were watching a play. That whole thing was a bloody mess.


Nice to find another Rush fan hereabouts. I have seen three shows so far on the Time Machine Tour (Albuquerque, Toronto - twice) and have plans for seven more. My next show is next Wednesday at Red Rocks which is a great place to see a concert.

As for Queensryche...the more I think about that show the more I am disillusioned by the direction they took. From the pinnacle that was the Empire/Mindcrime era to these depths is such a shame.

On the plus side though, Geoff Tate is out promoting is Washington blend. I bought a bottle when he was doing a meet & greet at Spec's in Houston.
quote:
Originally posted by finz:
Saw Sting the end of June with the Orchestra. Was one of the most enjoyable concerts I've attended. It really was a feature of the artist and actually hearing them sing instead of just belting out tunes in front of a wall of sound.

Was concerned that without people filling the upper bowl the acoustics would be bad (like they were for the Springstein folk band concert a couple years ago that we had to walk out on), but it was phenomenal. The clarity of his voice allowed hearing those neuances you pick up when listening to the albums in the pristine recording studio. If you're a fan of his, I couldn't recommend it enough.


I bought tickets for 2 of his shows but was unable to attend either: big Frown. Sold them at a loss and missed having the experience. I like the album though. Still wishing he would get back to his Nothing Like the Sun Days. Maybe he needs to read more Carl Jung again.
quote:
Originally posted by jburman82:
Saw Dave Mathews last night. Tim Reynolds played with the band the entire show. Warren Hayes came out and played #41 with them. I was really hoping for Cortez The Killer in the encore but it didnt happen. Had 5th row seats which was nice. All in all a good but not great show.


Cool
Michael Buble' iin Vancouver the other week. He was very good but I enjoyed him in Kelowna two years ago much better as the Prospera arena is very small and he looked like you could reach out and touch him compared to having to use binoculars at GM place. Oh, ... Naturally Seven opened for him as they always do and they are a band of seven black dudes that sing and sound like instruments (saxophone, drums, trumpets and so on) without the actual use of any instruments other than a microphones.
quote:
Originally posted by Ogopogo DUDE:
Michael Buble' iin Vancouver the other week. He was very good but I enjoyed him in Kelowna two years ago much better as the Prospera arena is very small and he looked like you could reach out and touch him compared to having to use binoculars at GM place. Oh, ... Naturally Seven opened for him as they always do and they are a band of seven black dudes that sing and sound like instruments (saxophone, drums, trumpets and so on) without the actual use of any instruments other than a microphones.

Buble was great here in April, unfortunately the venue less than desirable. I didn't care for Naturally Seven, not my taste. I much preferred when he had Jann Arden as his opener.
Saw Jack Johnson last Thursday and was a good show. Was disappointed that Jimmy Buffett didn't show for JJ's encore of A Pirate Looks at Forty like he did five years ago in Boca. This one was in West Palm Beach, like 12 miles from Jimmy's home on Palm Beach island, and I checked and he didn't have any of his own concerts that week. Jimmy now covers JJ's The Horizon has been Defeated on his shows.
quote:
Originally posted by vinole:
Saw Jack Johnson last Thursday and was a good show. Was disappointed that Jimmy Buffett didn't show for JJ's encore of A Pirate Looks at Forty like he did five years ago in Boca. This one was in West Palm Beach, like 12 miles from Jimmy's home on Palm Beach island, and I checked and he didn't have any of his own concerts that week. Jimmy now covers JJ's The Horizon has been Defeated on his shows.


Well - he is on tour and played shows on Long Island and lives more there than here anyway so probably was not too tempted to come down. Saw pretty good reviews for that show.
quote:
Originally posted by vinole:
Saw Jack Johnson last Thursday and was a good show. Was disappointed that Jimmy Buffett didn't show for JJ's encore of A Pirate Looks at Forty like he did five years ago in Boca. This one was in West Palm Beach, like 12 miles from Jimmy's home on Palm Beach island, and I checked and he didn't have any of his own concerts that week. Jimmy now covers JJ's The Horizon has been Defeated on his shows.


CARGO SHORTS!
quote:
Originally posted by Primordealsoup:
quote:
Originally posted by Wine Sparty:
Dave Matthews Band at Wrigley Field last night. Good show with a quality mix of current songs and older 'classics'. The hangover today isn't that great, though.


You guys in Chicago (and vicinity) know how to do it right.

I did forget to mention, in case there are any other big DMB fans on the boards, they played a cover of Burning Down The House. I know they played part of it on the NFL Kickoff Night last week, but I don't think this is a song they have traditionally played. Pretty cool.
David Gilmour and Roger Waters buried the hatchet a few years ago which is why Pink Floyd performed at Live 8. Also on this tour Gilmour agreed to make at least one guest appearance and play guitar on Comfortably Numb. As for working closely together on a new project....well I wouldn't hold my breath. It's one thing to be cordial but another completely to create music together.
i'm ok keeping them apart. the "real" pink floyd will never exist again, and i get to enjoy both bands, both of which are excellent! of course, what page/plant did was extraordinary too, and i probably would not have wanted that reunion either, so i could be wrong. dead wrong. Eek
quote:
Originally posted by mountainman:
Courtesy of mrs. tbird, last night saw Alice Cooper for the first time since 1976.

How was that? This was the guy my folks warned me about listening to. Big Grin

He's got a syndicated radio show on the weekends that I really enjoy. He's very entertaining, but not in a flashy way. He spins classic rock, and tells stories of his career, friends, people he met and worked with, etc. He really sounds like a regular, down to earth guy, who just happened to have a very extraordinary job some years ago. Pretty cool! Cool
Big Grin Cool

quote:
Originally posted by mneeley490:
He's got a syndicated radio show on the weekends that I really enjoy. He's very entertaining, but not in a flashy way. He spins classic rock, and tells stories of his career, friends, people he met and worked with, etc.
quote:
Originally posted by TBird:
Big Grin Cool

quote:
Originally posted by mneeley490:
He's got a syndicated radio show on the weekends that I really enjoy. He's very entertaining, but not in a flashy way. He spins classic rock, and tells stories of his career, friends, people he met and worked with, etc.


Big Grin Big Grin
Concert was fun, tight band. Talked to him after show and he does seem really down to earth. Even mountainbiked with the drummer yesterday. I think he will recover.
quote:
Originally posted by TBird:
going to see roger waters recreate "the wall" at MSG on tuesday. if last years "dark side of the moon" is any indication, i'm a happy camper!


The Dark Side of the Moon concert at MSG was excellent. I have enjoyed Gilmour's latest album On an Island. When is Waters going to come out with something new? I like the last 2 tours, but would also like to see where he is creatively in the studio.

Add Reply

Likes (0)
×
×
×
×