quote:
Originally posted by bman:
We saw them 9 years ago and were disappointed. No spark or pizzazz at all, pretty much going through the motions. Maybe it was just an off night.

That's too bad, bman. I wouldn't say there was pizzazz when I saw them either... but there also wasn't any pizzazz in the original Genesis shows. They were very controlled on stage. None of the musicians in Genesis moved around or even smiled much during a performance. They were heads down, focusing on the music. Only Gabriel moved, and his performance was very contrived and theatrical (and really silly, in hindsight). Nothing spontaneous about it. The Musical Box makes a point of recreating everything exactly as it was, in all its contrived, non-spontaneous glory.
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
We saw them 9 years ago and were disappointed. No spark or pizzazz at all, pretty much going through the motions. Maybe it was just an off night.

That's too bad, bman. I wouldn't say there was pizzazz when I saw them either... but there also wasn't any pizzazz in the original Genesis shows. They were very controlled on stage. None of the musicians in Genesis moved around or even smiled much during a performance. They were heads down, focusing on the music. Only Gabriel moved, and his performance was very contrived and theatrical (and really silly, in hindsight). Nothing spontaneous about it. The Musical Box makes a point of recreating everything exactly as it was, in all its contrived, non-spontaneous glory.


I think part of our disappointment was that we were there with our kids, who were teenagers at the time, who were hoping to hear more familiar tunes including from Phil Collins and Mike and the Mechanics. But it was largely older stuff they, and we either didn't know or didn't love. Which is not surprising as the theme of the tour was older stuff from the early days of the band, but we didn't know that at the time. And we still would have gone - we didn't miss many classic rock tours that came through Ottawa.
Yeah, their whole deal is recreating specific concerts from 1973-74. Selling England by the Pound. And Lamb Lies Down. That's it. No "greatest hits".
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
Yeah, their whole deal is recreating specific concerts from 1973-74. Selling England by the Pound. And Lamb Lies Down. That's it. No "greatest hits".


I saw them do The Lamb Lies Down...and thought it was great. That being said they focus on the era when Peter Gabriel fronted the band so there isn't any of the Phil Collins repartee or songs from later albums.
quote:
Originally posted by Dick Tree:
That being said they focus on the era when Peter Gabriel fronted the band so there isn't any of the Phil Collins repartee or songs from later albums.


Genesis ceased to exist when Gabriel left anyway.
Selling England by the Pound is my fave album.
Despite the prog rock trappings, Selling England is full of earwigs. The melodies stick in your head and won't let go.

As for the staging, Peter Gabriel must look back on that era and wince. His performance and costumes were so contrived and pretentious.

But I still love it, in all its "poncey" glory. The Musical Box shows are a charming snapshot of a specific time and place.
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
quote:
Originally posted by Dick Tree:
That being said they focus on the era when Peter Gabriel fronted the band so there isn't any of the Phil Collins repartee or songs from later albums.


Genesis ceased to exist when Gabriel left anyway.
Selling England by the Pound is my fave album.


Sorry but I respectfully disagree. For my personal taste Genesis reached its peak in the few years immediately after Gabriel left, circa Seconds Out.
quote:
Originally posted by Dick Tree:
Sorry but I respectfully disagree. For my personal taste Genesis reached its peak in the few years immediately after Gabriel left, circa Seconds Out.


I like Seconds Out, despite Collins' vocals, but the album has a lot of Gabriel era songs. As many as from Trick of the Tail, which they were promoting on that tour. Good performances for sure.
15 feet from greatness. The un-freaking-believable Manu Katche band tonight at Ronnie Scott's in London. Easily in the top 10 concerts I've ever seen. I knew Manu was amazing, but all four of his band were his equal - especially his musical director and piano player Jim Watson. The guy channeled the technical virtuosity of Oscar Peterson with the lyricism of Bill Evans. Stunning. The whole band was: Manu Katche- Drums; Laurent Vernerey- Bass; Jim Watson- Piano/Keyboards; Tore Brunborg- Sax; Luca Aquino- Trumpet

If you don't know Manu, you've certainly heard him. He was the drummer on all of Peter Gabriel's biggest albums, he played with Sting, he's the drummer on Robbie Robertson's "Somewhere Down the Crazy River", he's on Joni Mitchell's "Chalk Mark In a Rainstorm", plus Jeff Beck, Joe Satriani.....

Oh... and the meal at the club was superb.
Haven't gone yet but hope to buy tickets on Wednesday for U2's Joshua Tree 30th anniversary tour. A band that has certainly lost its way, The Joshua Tree remains one of the all time great albums. Apparently they are playing it straight through including the never played live "Red Hill Mining Town" which has long been my favorite U2 song. Hearing Bono sing that will be bucket list material.
I now have 3 queue up for 2017. The first 2, I'll be merely escorting my wife:

Feb 14 - Bon Jovi
May 26 - Lionel Richie
Both at Amalie Arena

Sept 5 - Green Day at Mid-Florida Amphitheatre
quote:
Originally posted by BOMBA503:
U2 at the Rose Bowl. Not quite the tickets I wanted but always worth the price of admission
I saw the Joshua Tree Tour back in 87 at the LA Sports Arena. I'm not into big stadium gigs but I'm sure your going to have an awesome time.
For sure! I actually go back as far as the War tour and have seen a few dozen shows. My ex BIL was tour manager for both ZooTV tours (arena than stadiums) and that will always be one of my favorites. Caught three shows two year ago two of which I was on the floor about ten feet from the Edge. This will be very different but still great.

I stopped comparing concerts many years ago and just enjoy each one for what it is. Sure I'd prefer smaller venues but stadiums don't deter me. It's funny because my teenage son went to one of those shows upfront with me and is hesitating this time because he doesn't think it will be as good. I'm sure he'll come around to my way of thinking. Plus his 13 year old sister is excited to see her first U2 show.

You never know if you will get another chance so I'd encourage you to go if you are still a fan and just enjoy the whole scene. I still regret passing on the Serious Moonlight Bowie tour and never getting another chance.
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
15 feet from greatness. The un-freaking-believable Manu Katche band tonight at Ronnie Scott's in London. Easily in the top 10 concerts I've ever seen. I knew Manu was amazing, but all four of his band were his equal - especially his musical director and piano player Jim Watson. The guy channeled the technical virtuosity of Oscar Peterson with the lyricism of Bill Evans. Stunning. The whole band was: Manu Katche- Drums; Laurent Vernerey- Bass; Jim Watson- Piano/Keyboards; Tore Brunborg- Sax; Luca Aquino- Trumpet

If you don't know Manu, you've certainly heard him. He was the drummer on all of Peter Gabriel's biggest albums, he played with Sting, he's the drummer on Robbie Robertson's "Somewhere Down the Crazy River", he's on Joni Mitchell's "Chalk Mark In a Rainstorm", plus Jeff Beck, Joe Satriani.....

Oh... and the meal at the club was superb.

What a treat! The greatest drummer I have ever seen live. Too bad he doesn't get to US much, I'd love to see him with his band.
Caught Don Henley last night - great show filled with music from each decade and band. Multiple encores with the last one dedicated to Glenn Frey. Fantastic evening!
The Wall Extravaganza last night.
The entire album played live and played out on stage. A fun night. This is a group from Montreal. They did a pretty good job I thought.
quote:
Originally posted by bomba503:
U2 at the Rose Bowl. Not quite the tickets I wanted but always worth the price of admission

I got GA floor/field tickets for June at Soldier Field.
Cool! Thats what I wanted but since Im taking my 13 year old daughter I opted for seats with a decent view of what should be a major multi-media background but away from the craziness. Im thinking a 2nd show will be added and that will be a GA ticket for me with my party friendsSmile
quote:
Originally posted by bomba503:
Cool! Thats what I wanted but since Im taking my 13 year old daughter I opted for seats with a decent view of what should be a major multi-media background but away from the craziness. Im thinking a 2nd show will be added and that will be a GA ticket for me with my party friendsSmile


U2 in Cleveland stadium, best thing to happen there in a long time! Splurged for tickets in the first section up from the stage.

I missed the original Joshua Tree tour, my parents wouldn't let me go with older friends of mine back then, damn them! Can't wait to hear the album in its entirety, especially as already mentioned Red Hill Mining Town
My ultimate gig just got announced with a stop in Tampa:

June 11, 2017, Amalie Arena - Iron Maiden with opening act Ghost

I'm 100% there...now just to figure out whose shirt I'll wear Smile
Saw Whitehorse play the Richmond Hill Centre for Performing Arts last night. A fave of Mrs. VeV's. Very CBC audience. Too polite.
I recently attended a Rain concert at the Gallo Center in Modesto. It was sold out. See them if you ever get a chance.

They are a Beatles Tribute band. They look like the original Beatles. The guy who plays Paul's role even plays left-handed like Paul McCartney.
Their visuals and stage design along with their great voices makes for an entertaining show. Nothing is prerecorded!
quote:
Originally posted by Kathy H.:
I recently attended a Rain concert at the Gallo Center in Modesto. It was sold out. See them if you ever get a chance.

They are a Beatles Tribute band. They look like the original Beatles. The guy who plays Paul's role even plays left-handed like Paul McCartney.
Their visuals and stage design along with their great voices makes for an entertaining show. Nothing is prerecorded!

Ugh, tribute bands. Better to see LOVE in Las Vegas which has the gestalt of The Beatles and of the times without imitators.
In the last several weeks:

The Wall- Floyd cover band from Montreal that reenacts The Wall in it's entirety. A bit of stage play and concert. Interesting. I got a kick out of it

Big Eyed Fish- Dave Matthews cover band. Ok instrumentally, but singer missing falsetto.

The Machine- 30 year Floyd cover band (lead guitarist at least). Plenty of keyboards much stronger and prominent that in Rick Wright fashion. Interpolations. Ok.
Sting last weekend. His performance was outstanding, and he had one of my favorite up and coming bands open, The Last Bandoleros. His son Joe was also there and it was wonderful how each of the three acts came out and performed with the others. Great night
quote:
Originally posted by The Old Man:
quote:
Originally posted by Kathy H.:
I recently attended a Rain concert at the Gallo Center in Modesto. It was sold out. See them if you ever get a chance.

They are a Beatles Tribute band. They look like the original Beatles. The guy who plays Paul's role even plays left-handed like Paul McCartney.
Their visuals and stage design along with their great voices makes for an entertaining show. Nothing is prerecorded!

Ugh, tribute bands. Better to see LOVE in Las Vegas which has the gestalt of The Beatles and of the times without imitators.

So I guess you aren't going to see Kofi Baker's Cream Experience in your neck of the woods in early March? Razz
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
So I guess you aren't going to see Kofi Baker's Cream Experience in your neck of the woods in early March? Razz

Ginger is still one talented guy, as one can see in the documentary Beware Mr. Baker, but I'll have to stay with my memory of seeing their first, and last reunion, in New York in 2005.
quote:
Originally posted by Vino Bevo:
Sting last weekend. His performance was outstanding, and he had one of my favorite up and coming bands open, The Last Bandoleros. His son Joe was also there and it was wonderful how each of the three acts came out and performed with the others. Great night

I'm a huge fan, and am glad you enjoyed the concert, but his latest album left me flat. Forced myself to listen to it 2 times and thought it was one of the weakest albums of his career. Also, the songs in his set-lists haven't changed much in 5+ years. With that repertoire, he should mix it up more, and with his talent he should mix-up the set-list within a tour more- something he rarely does. Not to mention, those tickets are at the top tier for pricing regardless of venue.
Social Distortion. A punker still trying to do his thing in his mid-50's. Unfortunately, his energy level and the tempo of his songs have slowed down quite a bit. The pit was non-existent for much of the show. I feel like that was the last time I'll go see them.
quote:
Originally posted by thelostverse:
Going to see Los Lonely Boys again tonight at City Winery in Chicago. One of my favorites.

Cool

Add Reply

×
×
×
×
Link copied to your clipboard.
×